Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSome Classical Music Fan Here ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2006 at 20:18

I do not want to appear ignorant or arrogant, but classical music is openly pretentious and hackneyed.  Ive listened to Shubert, Beethoven, Brahms, and Mozart and it seems staid and dull. 

The closest thing I can listen that resembles classical music is the prog group Renaissance. 

Chicapah View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 15:54
Originally posted by Asyte2c00 Asyte2c00 wrote:

I do not want to appear ignorant or arrogant, but classical music is openly pretentious and hackneyed.  Ive listened to Shubert, Beethoven, Brahms, and Mozart and it seems staid and dull. 

The closest thing I can listen that resembles classical music is the prog group Renaissance. 

In that case I would steer you to more contemporary composers like Copeland, Stravinsky, Mahler.

"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 19:33
Originally posted by helofloki helofloki wrote:

Originally posted by arnold stirrup arnold stirrup wrote:

Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

The German word "Klavier" (older spellings "Claver") means "piano" and not "keyboard" (the German word for "keyboard" is "Klaviatur"). It may be true though that at the time of Bach the word just referred to the manual of the instrument.
The first piano (full name "pianoforte") was built 1726 by Bartolomeo Francesco de Cristofori. They were definitely around already when Bach composed.
Gottfried Silbermann (famous for his organs) built the first piano in Germany.

I thinks Bach's intention with the WTC was to write a work for "keyboard", and not specifically a piano. He wanted to create a universal means of tuning a keyboard instrument, which, in fact, he did. He may certainly have had the pianoforte in mind as one of the purposes of composing WTC.

The vast majority of Bach's keyboard works were written for either organ or harpsichord. WTC was initially written for and performed on harpsichord, but was meant to be applied to any keyboard instrument.

I'm sorry you guys have it almost all wrong, thought you're completely right about well tempered. Before then, there was no consistent tuning system where like say half steps were equal. It was based on arbitrary things or the overtone series.

BUT, the Klavier is actually an instrument independent of Organ, Piano, or Harpsichord, but in english it's called a Clavichord (sp?). It was Bach's personal favorite as far as keyboards were concerned because it was fairly flexible. I'm not exactly sure how it worked, but I think it was something similar to tapping a guitar, hammers would push down the strings. As you can imagine it really wasn't loud enough at all to play with any other instruments really, but many of he composers loved it for composing.

Sorry, but you are wrong about that. The German word for "Clavichord" is, surprise surprise, "Klavichord". The German word "Klavier" means "Piano"; other German words for the piano are "Piano", "Flügel" (this refers to a grand piano) and, a little obsolete today, "Pianoforte".
You probably confuse the clavichord with the harpsichord ("Cembalo" in German). Indeed most works of Bach which today are played on the piano were originally written for harpsichord.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
helofloki View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 16:15
I'm not confusing a clavichord with a harpsichord. Harpsichord plucks strings, clavichord does not. I don't know german, so as far as those deffinitions go for "klavier" I was just stating what I've learned about it. On the other hand, Bach loved writing his music on clavichord, though it was written for harpsichord, because like I said, performing on clavichord would be much too quite for most occasions.
helofloki View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 16:20
Originally posted by Asyte2c00 Asyte2c00 wrote:

dude, there was no rock and roll in the 17/1800's. Pretentious is certainly arguable, but seriously what the hell are you talking about? We're on a progrock forum. As far as rock&roll gets, you don't get more pretentious than progrock. Hey I love it, but it's a kind of mediocre term to throw around on a prog forum I'd say. Oh yeah, and hackneyed my ass.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456