FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedprog music soundtracks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: prog music soundtracks
    Posted: January 21 2010 at 04:30
hello can you give me a list of the best movie soundtrack music like prog especially 60,s and 70,s horror films can anyone help please.....
bsms810 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2010 at 04:35
'when was the last time you had a girlfriend?'
'I dont look at it as when, I look at it as who...and why' - David Brent
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2010 at 05:41
What?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2010 at 05:46
Camel666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2010 at 05:52
The first that come to mind are GOBLIN's Profondo Rosso and Suspiria, since you are asking for soundtracks from horror movies of the Seventies.
Speaking of Rock Progressivo Italiano, which I think is what you have in mind, I also like a lot BANCO DEL MUTUO SOCCORSO - Garofano rosso, even if this one's more jazzy and the movie is not a horror.
OSANNA - Milano Calibro 9 is particularly good (as is the movie, a little noir gem) and LIBRA - Schock is interesting.
The famous album by NEW TROLLS, Concerto grosso per i New Trolls, written by composer Luis Bacalov, is also the soundtrack for the Italian movie "La vittima designata".
There are surely lots more but I can't think of any other right now. 

Anyway, most Italian movies of that period have progressive rock soundtracks. The ones I cited here are those written by actual prog rock bands and published as albums, but, for example, some Lucio Fulci's movies have a somewhat progressive soundtrack, like "L'Aldilą" or "Quella villa accanto al cimitero", both by composer Fabio Frizzi. Frizzi also wrote the soundtrack for another movie by Lucio Fulci, "Sette note in nero", an excerpt of which has been reprised by Tarantino in Kill Bill 1. It is undeniably RPI, too bad you can't really find this stuff anywhere.

bsms810 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2010 at 07:59
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Originally posted by bsms810 bsms810 wrote:

The War of the Worlds!!!! http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0009MA93C/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=471057153&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0009A3ZZI&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0BEY0PDVH5P8J8CACFTH

It isn't a film soundtrack though...is it!
well it certainly isn't not not a film soundtrack, but still worth checking out coz its awesome
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2010 at 08:06

The War of the Worlds!!!! http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0009MA93C/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=471057153&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0009A3ZZI&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0BEY0PDVH5P8J8CACFTH

well it certainly isn't not not a film soundtrack, but still worth checking out coz its awesome

It is definitely not a film soundtrack, and it is not awesome eitther.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2010 at 08:17
Originally posted by Camel666 Camel666 wrote:

Anyway, most Italian movies of that period have progressive rock soundtracks. The ones I cited here are those written by actual prog rock bands and published as albums, but, for example, some Lucio Fulci's movies have a somewhat progressive soundtrack, like "L'Aldilą" or "Quella villa accanto al cimitero", both by composer Fabio Frizzi. Frizzi also wrote the soundtrack for another movie by Lucio Fulci, "Sette note in nero", an excerpt of which has been reprised by Tarantino in Kill Bill 1. It is undeniably RPI, too bad you can't really find this stuff anywhere.

Great postClap! I believe there are a couple of tracks in the General Music Discussion section that deal with Italian movie soundtracks of the Seventies. Besides, it should not be forgotten that Italy's most famous soundtrack composer, Ennio Morricone, has been a huge influence on prog and rock in general.
bsms810 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2010 at 08:23

read my post carefully, i was agreeing with you!
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2010 at 08:27

read my post carefully, i was agreeing with you!

Your post confused me.
bsms810 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2010 at 08:29
i confused myself too i think
stefolof View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2010 at 08:32

The first that come to mind are GOBLIN's Profondo Rosso and Suspiria, since you are asking for soundtracks from horror movies of the Seventies.

I have to chime on that. GOBLIN made some great soundtracks, indeed! The soundtrack for La Chiesa features both GOBLIN and KEITH EMERSON and is one of my favorites. RIZ ORTOLANI's Passi Di Morte Perduti Nel Buio is also one of those special ones. And I haven't even seen the movie! LOL
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2010 at 08:35
If you like progressive psychedelic jazz fusion, then check out Herbie Hancock's Death Wish. You can check my review here on PA.
Also check my review of Osibisa's Superfly TNT

Edited by Easy Money - January 21 2010 at 09:30
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2010 at 08:36
Keith Emerson's score for the Dario Argento movie Inferno is also worth checking out. The track "Mater Tenebrarum" used to be quite popular in Italy when the record was released. 
Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2010 at 09:07
Listen to Fabio Frizzi's full soundtrack to The Beyond. Moog, mellotron, choir and a rocksection. Not unlike Morte Macabre (only better).

There's loads more. Vou must check out La Planete Sauvage

Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
stefolof View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2010 at 09:18
Yeah, and while you're on Frizzi, also check out Zombi 2:

Camel666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2010 at 10:22
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Great postClap! I believe there are a couple of tracks in the General Music Discussion section that deal with Italian movie soundtracks of the Seventies. Besides, it should not be forgotten that Italy's most famous soundtrack composer, Ennio Morricone, has been a huge influence on prog and rock in general. 

Thanks Tongue
Yeah, Morricone is so famous I forgot LOL

Originally posted by stefolof stefolof wrote:

The soundtrack for La Chiesa features both GOBLIN and KEITH EMERSON and is one of my favorites. RIZ ORTOLANI's Passi Di Morte Perduti Nel Buio is also one of those special ones. And I haven't even seen the movie! LOL

Ah, Riz Ortolani, you're very right! He also did the sountrack for Cannibal Holocaust, sooo RPI, the opening theme is wonderful, you can easily find it on youtube. BTW, I'd pass on the movie "Passi di morte perduti nel buio" if I were you Big smile I wasn't thinking about that collaboration between Goblin and Emerson too, it was famous back in the day and the movie is also quite good, written by Dario Argento. 

How to forget Emerson's Mater Tenebrarum, evil piece of music if there's one... Mike Patton made an interesting cover version of it on his Fantomas's Director's cut album, if my memory serves me. The whole album is a nice compilation of old movie soundtracks, Patton-style.

Claudio Simonetti's DAEMONIA project is also worth a mention, some years ago they released an enjoyable album called "Dario Argento tribute" (pretty clear what they play Smile) Talk about connections, the drummer of Daemonia is Titta Tani, who also used to be DGM's lead singer until a couple of years ago. Whom did he replace? Luciano Regoli (Raccomandata con Ricevuta di Ritorno). With whom Luciano Regoli used to play almost fourty years ago? None else but Goblin's keyboardist Claudio Simonetti, in the band Il Ritratto di Dorian Gray.

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2010 at 16:32
Although out of your preferred timeline, I really cannot recommend highly enough Peter Gabriel's Passion, the soundtrack to The Last Temptation of Christ, by Martin Scorsese. The music brings alive the film and creates an incredible soundscape of world and prog influences.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2010 at 23:37
Well, besides Goblin, and Libra which were the first on my mind, I though of course of Rick Wakeman's Lisztomania, I like the soundtrack though it is not really something memorable (neither the movie)

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
stefolof View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2010 at 02:21

Ah, Riz Ortolani, you're very right! He also did the sountrack for Cannibal Holocaust, sooo RPI, the opening theme is wonderful, you can easily find it on youtube. BTW, I'd pass on the movie "Passi di morte perduti nel buio" if I were you Big smile I wasn't thinking about that collaboration between Goblin and Emerson too, it was famous back in the day and the movie is also quite good, written by Dario Argento. 

How to forget Emerson's Mater Tenebrarum, evil piece of music if there's one... Mike Patton made an interesting cover version of it on his Fantomas's Director's cut album, if my memory serves me. The whole album is a nice compilation of old movie soundtracks, Patton-style.

Claudio Simonetti's DAEMONIA project is also worth a mention, some years ago they released an enjoyable album called "Dario Argento tribute" (pretty clear what they play Smile) Talk about connections, the drummer of Daemonia is Titta Tani, who also used to be DGM's lead singer until a couple of years ago. Whom did he replace? Luciano Regoli (Raccomandata con Ricevuta di Ritorno). With whom Luciano Regoli used to play almost fourty years ago? None else but Goblin's keyboardist Claudio Simonetti, in the band Il Ritratto di Dorian Gray.

Yes, Cannibal Holocaust, one of the most disturbing movies I've seen. Left a very bitter taste. But the score is beautiful I agree, that may be part in what makes it so disturbing. Confused

I remember seeing a documentary of Dario Argento in which he praised Keith Emerson a lot.

Thanks, I'll check out your other recommendations!! Big smile

I wonder what it is that makes progressive music such a good match to horror movies ....... anybody has an idea??
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>