Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Non-Prog Album Reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 21:37

Band (Solo Artist)-Helmut Koellen

Album Information-You Won't See Me (Harvest/EMI) 1977

Rating-5 stars (70s Rock)

Prog Appeal-Strong

You Won't See Me is the debut solo album by the late Helmut Koellen, formerly a Guitar Player/Lead Vocalist for the German progressive rock band Triumvirat, and also previously a session musician/vocalist for German group Jail.
             Mr. Koellen's solo album was released in October, 1977, in both Germany and South America, after his death earlier that year. The recording is the best example of Helmut's musical inclinations after having split from Triumvirat at the end of 1975.
                 You Won't See Me has some elements from Koellen's past, combined with a direction that was somewhat new to fans. It seems as if he still had a partial connection to progressive rock, with elements of that genre evident in the rock, jazz, folk, and almost funk influences the nine songs that make up this album have at times. Though, in the same breath, this recording is not as progressive or symphonic as his previous work in Triumvirat-the numbers here are shorter, and less elaborate, instrumentally. Listening to You Won't See Me is definitely a very refreshing, and ultimately rewarding experience, though. Helmut does all the lead vocals in his unique and very special way, a truly great voice he has, and a great pleasure to hear.
               Lyrically, there is a lot going on here, from a story of a love affair gone wrong in It's Hard To Love You, to achieving something superhuman in I'll Walk On The River, to the spirit of brotherhood in Playin' This Song Together, a mutually enlightening conversation with an elderly woman on a plane in Listen Lady, to being ready to go out for the evening in Station, and the story of "living the high life" in The Story Of Life. The real "rocker" song here is Mainstreet, a song whose story is in it's title, and so catchy and infectious, well, it could have been a big Rock Anthem, for sure.
                There is one cover song here, that of the Beatles song You Won't See Me, a fairly laid back approach, complete with strings added.
                    The female background vocals on this album, sometimes by Helmut's sister, Elke, are nice, as well. Instrumentally, all songs are indicative of some very tasteful playing, which unites with the vocal parts quite excellently, and voice and instrument are never at odds with each other, but always complimentary.
                 This solo album is a splendid, and overlooked one, at that. On hearing it over and over, I marvel at it's crafty intelligence, and general accessibility. And very indicative of Helmut Koellen's unique and very special musicality, which always came straight from his heart, a truly sincere and genuine artist.

Edited by presdoug - August 09 2014 at 17:16
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2014 at 13:17
Originally posted by poeghost poeghost wrote:

Love An Adventure by Pseudo Echo - 1987

This 1980s new wave synth pop group were from Melbourne, Australia. They consisted of Brian Canham - Lead and backing vocals, guitars; Pierre Gigliotti - Bass guitar, bass synth, backing vocals; James Leigh - Keyboards, bass synth, backing vocals; and Vince Leigh - Drums and backing vocals. This is an excellent album. All the songs are wonderful. Brian Canham had a deep to midrange smooth voice and the group had a surprisingly heavy rockin’ guitar sound at times, yet had a smooth interesting synth sound. The album I’m reviewing is the U.S. version which includes the cover of “Funkytown”, it was added to later releases and replaced the song “Don’t Go”. I remember seeing the video for “Funkytown” back in the 80s. I thought it was a lot of fun and it rocked! The original version was a disco/dance hit for Lipps Inc. in 1980. That was a fun song too. Pseudo Echo’s music is available to listen to on Spotify. Though the album track listings are different there.

LP Record RCA 5730-1-RX
Cassette RCA 5730-4-RX

Track list - Side A:
A Beat For You
Living In A Dream
Try
Listening
I Will Be You

Track list - Side B:
Love An Adventure
Destination Unknown
Funkytown
Lonely Without You
Lies Are Nothing

Prog appeal: Light.

Rating: 5 stars!

GREAT ALBUM, long time favorite , 3 sublime tracks (Lonely without you, Love an Adventure, Living in a Dream) 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 19:41
Midge Ure: Fragile. Verdict: Good return to electronic sound. StarStarStar Star

Edited by SteveG - February 01 2015 at 13:23
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2015 at 09:16
Tears for Fears
The Seeds of Love 1989

Over shadowed by it's monster selling predecessor Song From The Big Chair, The Seeds of Love comes close in quality to SFTBC due to the efforts of the band and recruiting top flight musos like Phil Collins, Manu Catche and Pino Palladino.
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingCrInuYasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 19:46
Here's my first one here!

Rocka Rolla - Originally released Sept. 6, 1974 - 3/5

Personal likes: "One For The Road", "Rocka Rolla", "Cheater”, "Never Satisfied", "Run Of The Mill"

Personal dislikes: none, but "Winter" comes close

Well... this is certainly a low key debut to one of the most flamboyant bands in rock history. If you were to play this back to back with, say, Painkiller, you would think this was two entirely different bands.

Even if I were to ignore their later glories and just focus on the album's own merits, I still think it’s kind of average. There’s nothing terrible here, but nothing that would scream "Buy this album now!", at least not enough good material to warrant it. Judas Priest was still finding its legs, going for a more hard rock and blues sound with a hint of progressive rock a la Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Uriah Heep and early 70s Deep Purple. Speaking of which, I almost liken Rocka Rolla to Black Sabbath’s self titled debut in terms of its bluesy nature and raw state, however Rocka Rolla doesn’t sound as focused. It doesn’t help that Roger Bain, who also produced Sabbath’s debut, was supposedly nixing some songs that Priest was considering for the album, including "The Ripper", "Tyrant", "Epitaph" and what would eventually become the first half of "Victim Of Changes", and might have also been the one to drastically shorten the closing "Cavier and Meths".

Problems aside, the album shows a band with some potential. The title track is a nice mid tempo gallop and the chorus and classical portion make it the catchiest piece on the album, not to mention the best. And Halford whips out a harmonica on there, which is a nice surprise. “Never Satisfied” is a cool hard rocking tune in the vein of Led Zeppelin and "One For The Road" and "Cheater" are bluesy stompers, with the latter having even more harmonica. Why "Cheater" had to be connected to the "Winter" suite in my copy of the album is beyond me. I guess the guy in the suite and "Cheater" is a snowplow driver who lost it after seeing his woman in bed with another man and proceeds to blow them both away a la "Hey Joe".

While Priest was able to get a grip with hard rock from the beginning, their early ventures in progressive rock were hit and miss. The "Winter" suite could have been neat, but it sounds like the band wanted to make something with an incomplete hard rock tune and an incomplete ballad they had on them and had no idea how to integrate the two into a coherent whole. In the end, Downing just connects the two with two minutes worth of guitar feedback and calls it a day and as much as I like feedback, the final result just sounds clumsy. The eight-plus minute ballad "Run Of The Mill" is a little better, at least it sounds like there was some time and thought put into the piece. The vocal melody is decent and the lyrics are surprisingly introspective. The music has a nice moody vibe, which is complemented by the guitar work and synths. "Dying To Meet You", is another suite of a ballad and a hard rock tune (title “Hero, Hero”) tacked together. Kind of like “Winter” but the effect is not as forced. It doesn’t do much for me, but at least it’s decent. Rounding out the prog tunes is "Cavier and Meths", which is pretty, but kind of fillerish, most likely due to being reduced from its much longer form.

As I said, Rocka Rolla is sort of unfocused, but I get the sense that this could have been a much better record if Priest had been given more room to breathe. Nonetheless, the album still manages to have some decent numbers and would serve as a blueprint for the next two records, for which the band would refine the ideas presented here. I want to give this a 4/5 and might in the future, but can’t bring myself to do it mainly because, well, blame Sad Wings Of Destiny and Sin After Sin for that.

Edited by KingCrInuYasha - January 13 2015 at 19:52
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 18:28
Artist - Nicky Hopkins
Album - Jamming With Edward
Recorded - 1969, during Rolling Stones' 'Let It Bleed' sessions
Released - 1972
Producer - Glyn Johns
Track List - SIDE A : The Boudoir Stomp. 5:16 (Hopkins, Cooder, Watts)
                                  It Hurts Me Too. 5:49 (Elmore James)
                                  Edward's Thrump Up. 7:40 (Hopkins, Cooder, Watts)

SIDE B : Blow With Ry. 11:12 (Hopkins, Cooder, Watts)
                                  Interlude A La El Hopo. 2.32 (Hopkins, Cooder, Watts)
                                  Highland Fling. 4:20 (Hopkins, Cooder, Watts)

Session Pianist/Keyboardist, Nicky Hopkins, should be familiar to many Classic Rock lovers, his talents were utilised by many of the 60's giants, appearing on albums by The Kinks, The Who, Rolling Stones etc. and even becoming a fully-fledged band member of West Coast Psych-Rockers Quicksilver Messenger Service during the later half of '69 and into '70. 'Edward' was the nick-name given to him by Rolling Stones guitarist Brian Jones.
The album, Jamming With Edward, sees Nicky joined by Charlie Watts (Drums), Mick Jagger (vocals/harmonica), Bill Wyman (Bass) and Ry Cooder (Guitars). Apparently waiting at the studio for Keith Richards to arrive, but he was allegedly 'still in bed'. Not wanting to waste valuable studio time, the five members here started to 'jam' while the tape was rolling.
What we get is a slab of rather straight-forward boogie/blues/rock pieces, featuring basic grooves set by Watts, lots of piano, bluegrass slide and solo guitars, some buried-in-the-mix vocals from Jagger and occasional mouth-harp, and I must say that it's somewhat exciting to actually hear what Wyman is doing on the bass for a change, and he does a decent job, too.
The impromptu songs linger around the same key and tempo (remember, these cats aren't technical Prog musos), with Hopkins' piano being the highlight, instrumentally speaking. The cover song is a typical 12 bar. Only in the album's opener can we hear Watts vary from a shuffle beat to a slower, straight beat.
So, an obscure, rare treat especially for fans of The Rolling Stones, most of whom don't even know (or care) about the album's existence.
3 stars out of 5

Edited by Tom Ozric - January 27 2015 at 18:30
BunBun View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BunBun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2016 at 15:56
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Tears for Fears
The Seeds of Love 1989

Over shadowed by it's monster selling predecessor Song From The Big Chair, The Seeds of Love comes close in quality to SFTBC due to the efforts of the band and recruiting top flight musos like Phil Collins, Manu Catche and Pino Palladino.

Absolutely love this album. This album has a mature sound that their first two lack, which is why, in my opinion, this is far and away their best effort. A shame that these two broke up after this LP because I think they were heading in a very interesting direction.
dinesha4n View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

spam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dinesha4n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2016 at 02:29
Non- program album reviews could be hoked and generated in a manner site 
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2017 at 12:27
Band (Solo Artist)-Eddy Marron
Album Information-Por Marco (Nagara) 1980
Rating-5 Stars (Jazz)
Prog Appeal-Moderate

This solo album of the late Eddy Marron's would probably be deemed a bit light for most prog fans, dealing in a somewhat light and ethnic jazz feel,but should not be overlooked by them. And Marron's previous prog credentials (Vita Nova, Dzyan, Missus Beastly, Giger Lenz Marron) are pretty impressive ones.

In listening to Por Marco, I am continually amazed by the amazing versatility and capability of this musician. It is so uplifting and captivating upon every listen. Most of the music is instrumental with guitar played by Marron. Below is a short, brief, track by track look at the music in Por Marco.

1) De Vinder 2:21-An engaging start to things, with a composition with a great forward momentum, and exquisite playing therein.

2) Follow Me 4:44-This starts off in a slower tempo, with some playing that builds and progresses, absorbing and captivating in it's lyrical beauty.

3) Honky Tonk 3:53-The title says it all! Real traveling music.

4) Easter Monday Ballad 4:39-a probing and mysterious composition.

5) Dance In Springtime 2:15-Reminds one of a sunny day in spring, with some simply lovely guitar phrasing.

6) Song For John 5:10-This song has some latin flavor to it, and brilliant, lightning quick playing by Marron.

7) Los Bachos 5:34-The start to this is slower, and meandering in an almost mournful way; but develops into quite an elaborate and well constructed piece. Like a flower unfolding.

8) Por Marco 3:30-Bright and lively, with some infectious and very intricate playing, and some vocalising, as well.

9) A Thing Of Beauty 4:58-Like it's title, breathtakingly beautiful, and like being on a sunswept desert island; the playing is quite remarkable.

10) Les-Piece 2:13-A short, but lively and upbeat piece that really moves, containing some impressive guitar phrasing.

11) Three On NIne 4:38-Eddy Marron incorporates a Turkish zaz in this, the final track, which has a kind of oriental flavor to it, and a unique and interesting way to end things.

Edited by presdoug - January 25 2019 at 19:39
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2017 at 19:23
Captain Fantastic And The Brown Dirt Cowboy (1975) - Elton JOHN
Quote Definitely one of the most important monster albums in the 70s pop / rock scene. Always wonder what he would think or feel for creating this album. Actually I'm sure he might not have produced such a great stuff precisely along with his pure musical inspiration or intention, and there should be some gigantic opportunity to make him more and more crazy productive.

We can hear his sincerity especially upon the Side B of the lp (from "Meal Ticket" until "We All Fall in Love Sometimes / Curtains"). Flooded with pop essence but there is clearly kaleidoscopic developments here and there. "Meal Ticket" is basically a light rock filled with Elton's unique point of view. His voices are not impressive nor excellent as well but we might get comfortable to imagine how he would sing potentially. "Better Off Dead" consists of depressive lyrics upon simple melody lines by a simple instrumental formation. The last "We All Fall in Love Sometimes / Curtains" reminds me of another gem of his "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" or the first shot "Funeral For A Friend" ... magnificent ballad suite featuring tragic atmosphere in the beginning and hopeful future in the end. Exactly suitable for the epilogue of this theatrical production.

Anyway let me say of course the most important moment in this album should be upon the Side A (from "Captain Fantastic And The Brown Dirt Cowboy" until "Someone Saved My Life Tonight"). The first attack "Captain Fantastic And The Brown Dirt Cowboy" is the most acceptable songs of all I consider, and can let us have an expectation of "superb music mass" since then. The melodic stream from "Tower Of Babel" until "Tell Me When The Whistle Blows" should be grabbed as one suite grandeur. The sound basis is quite understandable and favourable but there are lots of complex, complicated elements ... pain, tragedy, fun, dream, and futural hope ... one of them follows another step by step swiftly and smoothly. This movement can be called as the cornerstone in the pop / rock world. "Someone Saved My Life Tonight" might exactly be Elton's mindscape at that moment. Sounds like we are filled with warmth of the sun, heartwarming politeness by someone after sadness.

Already Elton had played as a No. 1 pop / rock hero in those days, and he could not get satisfied enough with his position I guess. Yes this creation has an obvious power to make him such a legend. His construction of sound is not astounding nor freakout really, but simple melody lines here are so enthusiastic and sincere enough to absorb the audience. And as an additional note, splendid efforts for this album by the lyricist Bernie and the producer Gus are much appreciated.
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jude111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2017 at 19:31
Funny, I am literally sitting here listening to Elton John and Father John Misty on a Spotify playlist I created when this review was posted. Father John Misty's new album "Pure Comedy" sounds so much like Elton John at his height in the 1970s, that I wondered if played back-to-back with Elton John tunes I'd still feel that way. To my amazement, I do. If you're an Elton John fan, definitely listen to "Pure Comedy." Highlights include the first 4 songs, and tracks 8, 11 & 12. His previous album, I Love You Honeybear, is also recommended, if slightly less Elton-inclined. As on reviewer has put it, these are albums Elton might have made if Bernie Taubin had been depressed LOL
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2019 at 08:18
Modena City Ramblers (MCR): Terra e libertà (Land and Freedom), 1997.

The masterpiece of MCR, combat-folk group, is "Terra e Libertà" (Land and Freedom), a title inspired by the film by Ken Loach "Land and Freedom". This album combines Irish folk music typical of MCR with Hispano-American folk and Balkan folk ("Danza Balcanica", Balkan Dance), creating an ethno-folk, a patchanka, as they defined it in Italy, that is a mix of various folk music, a folk fusion. This album is almost a concept album because several songs describe, from the title, characters of the novel "Hundred Years of Solitude" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, as "Macondo Express", "The dance of Aurelian", "Remedios the beautiful" and "A hundred years of solitude". The last song is inspired by the book, also by Garcia Marquez "Love in the Time of Cholera". "Transamerika" is dedicated to Ernesto Che Guevara, an Argentinian revolutionary. A sort of chronicle of the journey that the Che performs between 1951 and 1952 together with Alberto Granado in Latin America. The mythical character of "Paddy Garcia", which appears in the second song, is half Irish and half Mexican, indicating the fusion of Irish folk and Hispanic folk. On the record we hear, before the beginning of a lot of songs, the voice of Paco Ignacio Taibo II, biographer of Che Guevara.

Great album, with beautiful folk melodies, beautiful arrangements.

1. Macondo Express - 3:22
  2. Il ritorno di Paddy Garcia - 3:53 (The return of Paddy Garcia)
  3. Il ballo di Aureliano - 4:03 (The dance of Aurelian)
  4. Remedios la bella - 3:53 (Remedios the beautiful)
  5. Radio Tindouf - 4:55
  6. Marcia balcanica - 2:42 (Balcanic Dance)
  7. Danza infernale - 3:43
  8. Qualche splendido giorno - 3:51
  9. Transamerika - 3:26
  10. Lettera dal fronte - 2:39 
  11. L'ultima mano - 4:11
  12. Cuore blindato - 2:39
  13. Don Chisciotte - 3:15
  14. Cent'anni di solitudine - 3:32 (Hundred Years of Solitude)
  15. L'amore ai tempi del caos - 3:20 (Love in the time of Chaos)

Here you can listen to the songs:

1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=852Vp3ZciZQ
2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_6Ck6LyE2o
3) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BxIlGgTsJ8
4) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myt1qIf7rQs
5) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi3nbOTnF3o
6) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5dFRtFlIsw
7) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mJhsDdPX4A
8) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQxjSZCnsYA
9) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N27Jhxe3l9A
10) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7qFZmqPWNk
11) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK92yvBZNuw
12) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i76PlS8Wxrs
13) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BUY8W2WUNA
14) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ljEfTmFEwE
15) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paMhnpG0tHQ

Edited by jamesbaldwin - January 22 2019 at 08:33
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Whamdaddy View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whamdaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2019 at 20:41
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Artist - Nicky Hopkins
Album - Jamming With Edward
Recorded - 1969, during Rolling Stones' 'Let It Bleed' sessions
Released - 1972
Producer - Glyn Johns
Track List - SIDE A : The Boudoir Stomp. 5:16 (Hopkins, Cooder, Watts)
                                  It Hurts Me Too. 5:49 (Elmore James)
                                  Edward's Thrump Up. 7:40 (Hopkins, Cooder, Watts)

SIDE B : Blow With Ry. 11:12 (Hopkins, Cooder, Watts)
                                  Interlude A La El Hopo. 2.32 (Hopkins, Cooder, Watts)
                                  Highland Fling. 4:20 (Hopkins, Cooder, Watts)

Session Pianist/Keyboardist, Nicky Hopkins, should be familiar to many Classic Rock lovers, his talents were utilised by many of the 60's giants, appearing on albums by The Kinks, The Who, Rolling Stones etc. and even becoming a fully-fledged band member of West Coast Psych-Rockers Quicksilver Messenger Service during the later half of '69 and into '70. 'Edward' was the nick-name given to him by Rolling Stones guitarist Brian Jones.
The album, Jamming With Edward, sees Nicky joined by Charlie Watts (Drums), Mick Jagger (vocals/harmonica), Bill Wyman (Bass) and Ry Cooder (Guitars). Apparently waiting at the studio for Keith Richards to arrive, but he was allegedly 'still in bed'. Not wanting to waste valuable studio time, the five members here started to 'jam' while the tape was rolling.
What we get is a slab of rather straight-forward boogie/blues/rock pieces, featuring basic grooves set by Watts, lots of piano, bluegrass slide and solo guitars, some buried-in-the-mix vocals from Jagger and occasional mouth-harp, and I must say that it's somewhat exciting to actually hear what Wyman is doing on the bass for a change, and he does a decent job, too.
The impromptu songs linger around the same key and tempo (remember, these cats aren't technical Prog musos), with Hopkins' piano being the highlight, instrumentally speaking. The cover song is a typical 12 bar. Only in the album's opener can we hear Watts vary from a shuffle beat to a slower, straight beat.
So, an obscure, rare treat especially for fans of The Rolling Stones, most of whom don't even know (or care) about the album's existence.
3 stars out of 5

awesome, have always loved this album, I call it more of a Stones album to a Nicky Hop record, but what ever, crazy how this swings 
The Wham Daddy
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2019 at 11:58
^That's a nice little record......bought it not long after it was released in the past...I'll need to revisit that one.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2019 at 15:57
Here's my prog album non-review: " ". Oops wrong forum.
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 14:57
Well, it has been almost one year since my last prog album non-review.  Herewith, heretoforeandthence, and forthwith, is my prog album non-review for 2020:  "  ".  

Be sure to catch my next one in 2021 - that is, if I somehow manage to survive 2020.  Until then, keep up-voting Zoso on the LZ album thread so that I don't have to eat crow with Dark Elf … and stay safe everyone!
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 15:31
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

Funny, I am literally sitting here listening to Elton John and Father John Misty on a Spotify playlist I created when this review was posted. Father John Misty's new album "Pure Comedy" sounds so much like Elton John at his height in the 1970s, that I wondered if played back-to-back with Elton John tunes I'd still feel that way. To my amazement, I do. If you're an Elton John fan, definitely listen to "Pure Comedy." Highlights include the first 4 songs, and tracks 8, 11 & 12. His previous album, I Love You Honeybear, is also recommended, if slightly less Elton-inclined. As on reviewer has put it, these are albums Elton might have made if Bernie Taubin had been depressed LOL

I love Father John Misty's music too. I have all four of his albums on CD and I can hear the resemblance to early Elton John too, although I don't find his music to be anywhere near as depressing as  Nick Drake's three maudlin albums. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - June 04 2020 at 15:34
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jude111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 19:24
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I love Father John Misty's music too. I have all four of his albums on CD and I can hear the resemblance to early Elton John too, although I don't find his music to be anywhere near as depressing as  Nick Drake's three maudlin albums. Smile

When I wrote that, I think I hadn't yet discovered his previous albums. As much as I like Pure Comedy, I think Honeybear is my favorite. Have you heard his recent live album, Off-Key in Hamburg? It's really, really good.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 22:08

When I wrote that, I think I hadn't yet discovered his previous albums. As much as I like Pure Comedy, I think Honeybear is my favorite. Have you heard his recent live album, Off-Key in Hamburg? It's really, really good.
I didn't realise Father John Misty had released a fifth album, mainly because all of the record stores have been closed for the last ten weeks. Smile
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jude111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2020 at 12:31

I didn't realise Father John Misty had released a fifth album, mainly because all of the record stores have been closed for the last ten weeks. Smile

He released it on Bandcamp about a month ago, with the message, "All proceeds from Off-Key In Hamburg will be donated to the MusiCares COVID-19 Relief Fund." https://fatherjohnmisty.bandcamp.com/album/off-key-in-hamburg-2

It was just added to Spotify as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>