Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Non-Prog Album Reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2012 at 08:04
MADNESS - "7" (1981)

The 3rd album by this incredible British septet (thus, "7"). What began as a scrappy ska band with a pop sense has rapidly turned into an irresistible Brit pop machine. The breakthrough American Hit "Our House" was still a year away, but the band was already a mainstay on the charts at home, even hitting #4 with the uncharacteristically depressing ballad "Grey Day".

The band had instrumental diversity and skill to spare - band leadership was more often just a case of who could bully the best, but all band members had a more or less equal hand in songwriting, usually pairing up into several different partnerships, but always delivering "that nutty sound" as it affectionately was called.

Meet the Madness:

Graham "Suggs" MacPherson (3rd from right)- front man, lead vocalist, semi-pro football player. Wore stylish gloves which I emulated in high school. Cool as a cucumber, jockish but modest, and had a pretty solid solo career too.

Carl "Chas Smash" Smyth (3rd from left) - vocals, trumpet, dance steps, instigator, pugilist, sometime lead vocalist. His role has always been a bit unclear to me, but at least in later days, he became one of the main songwriters.

Lee "Kix" Thompson
(far left)- tenor saxophone, vocals. Oozing with 50s biker cool. Whether honking away rhythmically, playing a dazzling solo, or co-writing a lot of their best material, he's the man.

Mike "Monsieur Barso" Barson
(middle, standing) - piano, organ. The central figure of the whole group, in my opinion. His aggressive piano playing forms the foundation of most every song. Prone to surprising licks and just the right turn of musical phrase to keep the hooks coming fast and furious.

Chris "Chrissy Boy" Foreman (2nd from right) - guitar. His low-key cool provides texture and color to the ornately-arranged songs. You'll hardly ever hear him play a lead, and when he does, it's almost ridiculously simple; but he lets his skill speak in the little whammy bar accents in between lines and his surf-cum-ska rhythm playing.

Mark "Bedders" Bedford (2nd from left) - bass. Always grinning, really getting into his intricate boppy bass lines. Many songs are great simply by virtue of Mark's cool parts. *PROG RELEVANCE ALERT* His older brother is David Bedford (RIP), who played in Kevin Ayers' band.

Dan "Woody" Woodgate (far right) - drums. Nothing fancy, just play crisply, briskly, and nod. Pretty stoic behind the drums, but he can really kick the band into gear.

But enough of the boys... here's the songs:

SIDE ONE

1. "It Must Be Love" - 2:52 (Labi Siffre) .... (some editions substitute this track with "Cardiac Arrest")... - Cover of a recent pop tune. Reggae treatment of a love ballad.

2. "Shut Up" - 4:07 (McPherson/Foreman) -- Paranoid. A curious song that captures that moment in time when everyone's pointing at you and you say "Me? I din't do nuthin!"

3. "Sign of the Times" - 2:43 (McPherson/Barson) -- Bitter. a bit of Kinksy "social observation". The Brit stiff upper lip that keeps its mouth shut but gossips behind your back.

4. "Missing You" - 2:32 (McPherson/Barson) -- Devious. a dark, rolling number driven by bass clef rumblings on the piano in the verse, and a choppy sax riff in the bridge.

5. "Mrs. Hutchinson" - 2:17 (Barson) -- Dark humor... a doctor telling his patient she'll be fine, then confiding to her son "your mother won't last a week"

6. "Tomorrow's Dream" - 3:54 (Thompson/Barson) -- Pensive, but what a catchy rhythm combo of bass, drums, and guitar. All the other 4 guys had to do was show up.

SIDE TWO

1. "Grey Day" - 3:40 (Barson) -- Desolate. You can almost hear the rain. Another portrait of Brit "quiet desperation", as the Floyd would say.

2. "Pac-A-Mac" - 2:37 (Thompson/Barson) -- Dandy. Named after a foldable raincoat/poncho that fits in a pouch. Just another lovable British fellow in the rain.

3. "Promises Promises" - 2:52 (Thompson/Barson) -- Devious pt 2. Similar to "Missing You", but highlighting Foreman's surf/spy guitar fills.

4. "Benny Bullfrog" - 1:51 (Thompson/Foreman) -- Wacky. Carnival organs bouncing around, jokey vocals, and even some burps to imitate a bullfrog.

5. "When Dawn Arrives" - 2:43 (Thompson/Barson) -- Smooth. A lazy swinging song. I guess it's a "morning after" lament.

6. "The Opium Eaters" - 3:03 (Barson) -- Cerebral. A cinematic piano-based instrumental. Sounds like a tango for a monster movie.

7. "Day on the Town" - 3:24 (McPherson/Foreman) -- Severe. Hard-edged reggae, hard-hitting social critique. An unflattering look at tourists perhaps?

I award this album FOUR STARS out of a possible FIVE
.  Very, very good.

Edited by HolyMoly - March 07 2012 at 08:10
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2012 at 09:23
I like madness, i even played them at my wedding, but never heard an entire album!
iamathousandapples View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamathousandapples Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2012 at 00:46
Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run

Wow. I really wasn't expecting this to come out of Bruce Springsteen of all people. First off, take your expectations and that "Born in the USA" garbage out, because it has nothing in common. Really if I had to describe it, it'd be a very humble Meat Loaf. They really should put this as "Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band" because unlike a lot of solo bands these guys get a lot of time in the spotlight.. The lyrics here are surprisingly moving and when you're thrust in a place with Bruce, it's almost immersive, especially when it comes to Jungleland, which is the album's final coup de grace and if this album didn't give me a faceful of humble pie I'd say it's Bruce's as well. If I had to say anything bad, it would be that it's a lot of the songs can be overly repetitive, especially Backstreets, which could definitely lose a minute or two.

4.5 stars
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2012 at 15:00
^ Give us a taste from utube.
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smartpatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2012 at 23:12
DNA was an avant-punk band formed in 1978 by Arto Lindsay, Robin Crutchfield and Iuke Mori. DNA was a huge part in New York's No-wave scene. Later in 1978, after releasing thier debut single "You & You/Little Ants" and being featured on the complation "No New York" (which gives the No-wave scene it's name), Robin Crutchfield left and was replaced by Tim Wright, previous Bassist of Pere Ubu. DNA were then featured on several complations and then releaced thier ten minute album "A Taste of DNA", and split up in 1982.

Album: "DNA on DNA" (2004)
Rating: Amazing, but pleauged with some lesser and forgetable songs such as "Taking Kid to School", "Young Teenagers Talk Sex", and "Cop Buys a Donut" among others. (4/5)

Prog Appeal: No Wave music is basicly extremely Avant Punk music, so for those of use into experimental and avant-garde music, you may like it.

Review: "DNA on DNA" contains almost all of DNA's studio recordings (the missing two are alternative versions of "Blonde Redhead" and "Detached" used in the movie "Downtown 81"), plus a bounty of live recordings, altogether 32 songs, ranging in length from less than a minute to five minutes. Like I said earlier, it's pleauged by lesser and forgetable songs, however, most of the songs are amazing, my favorites including "You & You", "Egomaniac's Kiss", "Not Moving", "Size", "New Fast", "5:30", "Blonde Redhead", "Grapefruit", "Detached", and "Calling to Phone".

Edited by smartpatrol - May 18 2012 at 10:55
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smartpatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2012 at 23:49
It's hard to find information on Laurena Segura, as she does not have a wikipedia page. The most i know is that she was born in the early 90s and lives somewhere in Quebec, Canada, possibly in Montreal. Her music is best defined as Indie/Alternative Folk.

Album: "Permafrost" (2011)

Rating: Just beautiful (5/5)

Prog appeal: i'd say it's pretty neutral.

Review: Segura's only release as of yet, this EP contains three songs:
"Permafrost": A wonderful sad song about a former love.

"Ā Un Autre Comme Moi": a great waltz with french vocals.

"Fireflies of Montreal": Chilling song about, you guessed it, the fireflies in montreal that seemed to have disapeared in the later half of the twentith century.
All these songs are just wonderfull, and recomend them to pretty much anyone. I can't see how anyone could dislike her.

Edited by smartpatrol - May 18 2012 at 10:55
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 11:52
Artist:  Fiona Apple (USA, 1996-active)

Genre:  Jazz-pop/alternative rock

Album:  When the Pawn..  (Epic Records, 1999)

Review:

I have tried to figure out what exactly differentiates Fiona Apple from the crowd.  When I listen to her music, it immediately stands out to me as different but I have struggled to pin it down to something that distinct.  I know she sort of blends jazz pop with alternative rock but that is not necessarily such an unique package.  While much is written about her powerful voice, it is essentially a deep, somewhat nasal, contralto...so therefore not so odd in the context of the music styles she dabbles in. 

And the thought that occurred to me today, as I wait for my copy of her brand new album Idler Wheel, is that the reason may be more fundamental and more to do with the emotions. Anger.  She's not necessarily an iconoclast that way either - after all, female singers have performed rock since the time of Janis Joplin.  But the idea of an angry woman playing the piano rather violently and backing it up with some aggressive singing....I can't readily find precedents for that.  Kate Bush has done that off and on but Fiona's first person confessional approach is almost evocative of Layne Staley rather than any female fronted jazz pop. 

So, the sheer outpouring of anger in a context normally associated with chilled out music for the lounge is what really makes Fiona Apple unique.  It gets her a bit of negative press as well, but then what is an eccentric that doesn't polarize opinions.   Actually, circa 2012, the largely positive reviews for Idler Wheel suggest that professional critics have grown tired enough of shallow, unremarkable pop that they'd much rather have a crazy woman who writes great music than not have a whole lot of music worth reviewing at all. 

Coming back to When the Pawn...., it represents a stunning evolution from her debut Tidal and in many ways, sets the tone for the direction of her work thus far.   The hit single Criminal off Tidal is actually not a bad song at all and is pretty interesting as far as radio ready pop hits go.   But When the Pawn...is where Fiona turns out to be this sophisticated artsy pop songwriter rather than hitmaker par excellence.   In terms of structure,  the songs are all pop but very distinct, well developed instrumentation sets them apart.  Credit is due to producer Jon Brion as well as the top notch sessions musicians for this. 

But Fiona's own compositional talent doesn't hurt as it brings a certain amount of versatility to the table, going from the bluesy A Mistake to the Radiohead-esque Way Things Are to the Broadway-like Get Gone (angry Broadway, if you insist).    She already demonstrates tremendous confidence and charisma as a singer as well, delivering Limp with a rockish gusto and sounding authentically vulnerable on I Know.  She may not have the biggest range in the world or pull the most astonishing melismatic pyrotechnics but she knows how to sing words better than most of her competition and is prepared to sound flawed in a natural way that makes her delivery sound more human.    To quote from her generally smart lyrics, "I've quite got a taste for a well made mistake".  Even though the recording sounds perfect and clinical as can be, there is still an organic quality about the music and this, I feel, is largely due to the way she sings and plays. 

Which brings me back to anger.  A review of Idler Wheel describes it as totally punk rock and I am guessing the reviewer is basically referring to the anger levels of the music rather than anything stylistic.  And that apples to this album as well.   These ten tracks are well made as it is, and there are no weak cuts here, but her remarkably convincing projection of anger takes it to another level.  There is the danger here of the whole thing turning into a tiresome rant of self pity but, as I mentioned earlier, there is always a touch of humour in her lyrics which makes these angry rants that much more palatable.

Rating:
  4.5/5.  If you like pop or rock with a touch of jazz, it's hard to go wrong with this. 

Prog appeal:   In terms of structural complexity, not much at all.  She might just be distinct enough to appeal to those progheads who welcome the crossover stuff.  So, "light or historical appeal to prog listeners" it will be. 

Edited by rogerthat - June 23 2012 at 11:55
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 12:56
^ great review of a great album!
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
JazzMusicArchives.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 22:23
Thanks.
tarkus1980 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarkus1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2012 at 11:48
This is a review I wrote of "At War With the Mystics" by The Flaming Lips about a year ago. I was very happy with how this review turned out.

This album got good reviews, and this album got bad reviews, but what this album mostly got was baffling reviews. The professional reviews I've skimmed for this album (and it ended up being more than a few, as I grew more and more fascinated with the pattern I was detecting) spend a fascinatingly disproportionate amount of time focusing on 3.5 tracks (more on that later), and they tend to give the sense of this album as a goofy, annoying political tome. I ended up waiting a very long time to get this album because the descriptions of it made it sound like I'd probably think the band had jumped the shark with this ... and I felt like an idiot once I'd listened to the album a couple of times.

The three "political" songs here that seemingly everybody focuses on here, of course, are "The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song," "Free Radicals" and "The W.A.N.D.," and I feel like people spent way too much time looking for subtext in these that wasn't there. It's like everybody wanted "The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song" to be about President Bush, basing their reactions to the song almost solely how they felt about him, when it's clearly a goofy musing (no different in tone than the types of musings that Coyne had done about outer space and sunbeams and starlight) about power corrupting people. I can see where somebody might find the vocal sampling in the song incredibly obnoxious (I admit it took me a couple of listens to get used to it), and the song isn't a career highlight, but it's a fun, hyperactive pop song that I enjoy singing along to, so I'm glad it's here. "Free Radicals" (which people wanted to build up into some sort of critique of people as political fanatics, I guess) is a bizarre attempt at something Prince-like, featuring somebody (I'm guessing Steve, not Wayne, though I don't know for sure) singing in falsetto over one of the clumsiest attempts at a funk groove I can imagine; I don't quite hate it, but it definitely gives a bad impression for the rest of the album. And "The W.A.N.D." is just a fun guitar hook with a goofy effects-laden song built around it, or so people would think if they weren't so fixated on the "We got the power now!" line. I just don't get why people would suddenly have this idea that this band, of all bands, would suddenly develop a topical political conscience, and I feel like these things are just a distraction from the real identity of the album.

The other track that people fixated too much on is the "single" portion of "It Overtakes Me." The main riff and vocal melody makes it seem like one of the dumbest pop songs the band had ever done, even if the processed "You know that it is unreal" vocal line makes it clear that there's a bit more going on here than one might find in a typical No Doubt single. People then often tend to dismiss the whole track as a failed single, which is funny to me, because this ignores the entire second half of the song. You know, that whole section where the track turns into breathtakingly gorgeous directionless atmosphere, full of snippets of Yes-ish pedal steel (or something sounding like it) popping up amongst great synths and vocal parts that nearly beat Jon Anderson at his whole game? Or how it suddenly turns on a dime from there into acoustic lines that do nothing if not evoke early Genesis? Do I just have a hacked copy of the album that's different from everybody else's? What is going on here?

See, here's the thing: once you get past the songs mentioned, as well as a couple of pleasant-ish keyboard-driven ballads ("Mr. Ambulance Driver," the closing "Going On"), the big stories of this album are (a) the band's willingness to go further than ever in embracing the studio and all available production techniques and (b) the band's total embracing of classic prog rock. Longtime fans of the band probably wouldn't be thrilled with either of these; one could make the argument that this album largely severed the band's ties to its "traditional" past of ultimately being based in a "real" band unit working together, and the fact that the band has jumped so thoroughly on the prog rock bandwagon here (the last two albums, artsy fartsy as they were in a lot of ways, were still mostly slightly dressed up pop music) probably wouldn't thrill most people either. Personally, I find these developments fantastic; regarding (b), I'm not necessarily inclined to prefer prog rock over other kinds of music, but the band shows it really understands the guts of what made this music style so enjoyable way back when, and they assimilate themselves into this world surprisingly well. Regarding (a), the band makes use of tons of vocal and instrumental effects on this album, and while some may think these get tedious after a while, I'm too busy enjoying all of the cool sounds the band is grafting into its (still first-rate) melodies.

Of the remaining six songs, two can't quite be lumped into the prog rock category, but they're great nonetheless. "Haven't Got a Clue" seemed like a silly novelty song the first time I heard it (agreeing with my pre-conceived notion of how the album would sound), and maybe it is, but it's a fantastic silly novelty song. The synthetic beat under the acoustic guitar is as addictive as similar tricks were on Yoshimi, there are gobs of great synth effects, and the lyrics, well, you'd be surprised how much fun it can be to sing "And everytime you state your case, the more I want to punch your face," followed by those vocal noises and matching guitar sounds. If you've heard the song, you know what I'm describing, and if you haven't, you need to hear it now.

The other one that's not quite prog rock, but maybe is kinda sorta, is "My Cosmic Autumn Rebellion," which features Wayne in full-blown Brian Wilson mode (as pretty much everybody who mentions the song feels obligated to mention). Maybe the lyrics mine slightly familiar territory ("Yes it's true someday everything dies"), but I have to admit that I'm a sucker for lines like, "They only see the obvious/They see the sun go down but they don't see it rise." And man, those keys, and that simple guitar part in the break, and that ATMOSPHERE. Slight shame about the production, though (more later).

The other four aren't anything but prog rock. "The Sound of Failure" feels to me like it belongs in Wind and Wuthering-era Genesis, and while I find what actually made it onto much of that album disappointing, it also fostered a vibe that made for a handful of absolutely fantastic ballads ("Blood on the Rooftops" and to a lesser extent "Your Own Special Way," as well as the amazing outtake "Inside and Out"). Am I really the only person who can imagine (with great happiness) the late-70's Collins giving a great vocal workout, Rutherford laying the foundation on acoustic and bass, Hackett doing all sorts of great guitar texture things, and Banks sitting back and giving some quality atmosphere? Ah well, fun fantasy it may be, this song is really great as is, featuring a great contrast between the laid-back verses and the up-beat "Don't tell Britney and don't tell Gwen ..." section, and I really dig the atmospheric instrumental section at the end. A couple of tracks later, after "Cosmic Autumn Rebellion," comes an absolutely top-notch atmospheric keyboard/-acoustic-guitar-driven ballad in "Vein of Stars," and if somebody can't find joy in that upwards spacey guitar line in the breaks or the amazing mellotron (or its digital doppelganger, whatever), then I just don't understand them. The instrumental, "The Wizard Turns On," is a little less impressive than what came before, as it emphasizes the ugly squealing guitar line more than I'd like (More Mellotron Flute! More Ominous Keyboards!), but it's still pretty nice.

The big massive highlight, though, is clearly "Pompeii Am Götterdämmerung" (literally either "The Collapse of Pompeii" or "The Downfall of Pompeii"), a prog-rock masterpiece (clearly drawing from Yes and Pink Floyd though showing no direct plagiarism) that tries to depict the freezing in time of a young couple by the fires of Vesuvius. Keywords: Mellotron flute; great bassline; amazing tear-jerking guitar solo; sparse, atmospheric-as-hell vocals and lyrics. It's some of the best prog rock I can imagine coming from a band that isn't quite exactly prog rock.

If there's a general downside to the album beyond what I've said thus far, it's that the band probably recorded things a little too loudly; there's some clear clipping in the sound, even in great tracks, and I kinda hope for a remix some day that cleans up some places that need cleaning up. "My Cosmic Autumn Rebellion" and "Pompeii," in particular, have some muddiness and crackle that get a little distracting (though I kinda feel like it's appropriate in the second half of "Pompeii," though: there's lava covering everything, after all). This is only a minor inconvenience, though; it's not crippling in the same way as the loudness on, say, Vapor Trails was.

Overall, then, while I can't really say for sure this album is exactly underrated (it's gotten lots of bad reviews, but lots of good ones too), it sure feels pretty misunderstood to me. Personally, I think it's clearly better than Yoshimi; it may not be as consistent, but there are more and higher peaks (yes, I think "Sound of Failure" and "Pompeii" are definitely better than "Do You Realize?"), and I feel less like I'm searching for things to love here than there. If you don't own it, I can't guarantee you'll really like it (it is, after all, extremely easy to dismiss this whole album as "annoying" if you want to), but you have to give this a shot.

"History of Rock Written by the Losers."
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 08:41

Album:  The Idler Wheel... (Epic Records, 2012)

Review:

Another review and another Fiona Apple album with a title too long for me to remember and type.  I am also afraid that doing so might convey the impression that it is a rather pretentious affair.  Is it supposed to fill in for the gap between her albums?

Seriously, this is just her second album since When the Pawn....  A bit like Robert Fripp, she emerges out of the woodwork once in a decade with a new album.   She has now worked with three different producers for these three albums (Extraordinary Machine being the one in the middle) for good measure.   There are no contributions from Matt Chamberlain anymore either.  And when you listen to the album, you might just find it rather easy to forgive her slow pace of work.   

Artists capitalize on early success by streamlining their sound and simplifying their approach to win bigger and bigger audiences.  Instead, Fiona Apple has seemingly endeavoured to make it progressively more difficult to get into her albums.  And in doing so, she seems to endear herself even more to her fanbase and loyalists.  Maybe it's just the fact that she is prepared to take risks and go against the grain, work in isolation and in disdain of contemporary tastes. 

Not that this album sounds like a relic from the past.  On the contrary, it possesses a rather elusive quality: timelessness.  The base continues to be jazz pop and continues to be underlined by Fiona's aggressive style of singing (for that kind of music).   What's new is that she has pulled back sharply on the 'amount' of instrumentation.  From When the Pawn...to Extraordinary Machine, the music got more colourful, pushing Fiona a little bit into the background.  On The Idler Wheel, she chooses to keep things sparse...in terms of conventional instruments.   There is her voice, piano and some minimal percussion.  Yeah, that's really it, for the most part, give or take a few other instruments.  

Which does not mean this album has a very limited palate of SOUNDS, by any means.  The greatest triumph of The Idler Wheel...is in the way sounds and percussion are used.   I do not think I have ever felt shivers down my spine at the sound of a bottle factory...and I did when I heard Jonathan.   In Regret, what sounds like a buzzsaw is growling softly in the background as Fiona plays melancholic chords on the piano that positively exude a funereal air, even as what sounds like a typewriter provides rhythm.   There are also some very interesting percussive patterns on songs like Daredevil or Anything We Want.  

It is not odd transitions or time signature changes that grab your attention on The Idler Wheel, but sounds used in contexts that you may have least expected them to.  Listening to Idler Wheel has made me realize what people mean when they talk about losing themselves listening to sounds.  It's a bit hard though to lose myself when these sounds seem to threaten, to make me shiver.  They don't just fill up the palate, they call attention to themselves emphatically. 

What has also changed is the tone of Fiona's emotional expression.   The lightheartedness that made When the Pawn...or Extraordinary Machine a bit 'easy' for all their twists is gone.   The Idler Wheel is stark and sinister (see Jonathan).  The songs generally develop at a leisurely pace, increasing the tension and suspense. The lady still seems to hate the guts out of the world at large, but she has grown up nevertheless.  The full measure of her growth is evident in her vocals as she is not afraid to seemingly holler out the words in parts of Regret or Left Alone.  

The lyrics offer ample evidence of this as well: "How can I ask anyone to love me when all I do is beg to be left alone".  Now imagine her wailing, with the music slowing right down, as she sings the word Alone.   Her voice seems to crack in more than a few places and it only adds to the effect of listening to a catharsis of pent up pain, frustration and a whole lot of other negative emotions.  Music being the strange beast that it is, that is actually a good thing even if it doesn't sound very appealing to read.

I don't know if Idler Wheel is a perfect album, though I like all the tracks and love a good majority of them to death.  I do know it is not an album with near-universal appeal and would succeed in turning off as many people as it turns on.  I also doubt we are going to get this close to a contemporary 'pop' masterpiece anytime soon.  We didn't all the time we were waiting for The Idler Wheel, if that is any indication.  I will swallow my mild reservations and give this all five stars.

Rating:   5/5.  There are not many contemporary mainstream albums you need quite as much as Idler Wheel.

Prog appeal:  Again, not a lot of structural complexity, but some strange chords to keep the proghead interested.  And maybe the notion that it is challenging at some level, even if not challenging in a prog sense, might make it appealing (whereas that is a point held against the album in some reviews).

Edited by rogerthat - June 30 2012 at 11:23
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infocat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 15:59
I had no idea who Fiona Apple was (other than knowing about that album with the famously long title) until the last month or two.  Even now I've not heard any of her music (I suppose I could just click on that YouTube link; but I already have something playing), yet I feel quite inspired to pick up at least one CD on my next trip to the record store.  Thanks!
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 21:55
You are welcome.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2012 at 09:43
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Album:  The Idler Wheel... (Epic Records, 2012)

Holy God her new album is cool.  I bought the special edition and will be watching the bonus DVD tonight. 

Great review, thanks for posting it. 

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2012 at 11:14
You are welcome, glad you liked it.  Smile   Do let me know about the bonus DVD.  I have seen some footage of her recent live shows and had very mixed feelings about the things she does to her voice.  Unhappy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2012 at 11:15
How so?  What was she doing?

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2012 at 11:17
Voice seemingly shot (though thankfully not completely devoid of its power yet).  It's more evident when she has to sing songs from When the Pawn... Seemed to find it hard to get to the upper parts of Paper Bag.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2012 at 11:25
I should add here that the footage was not of great quality and it could be misleading for me (and I fully hope that is the case).  Maybe she was actually louder than what it seemed to be like from those recordings.  
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2012 at 11:34
Ok, I get it.  Yeah, I've seen her twice live and in the past she has seemed pretty road ragged ....like she wasn't taking good care of herself.  Speculation of course. 

Anyway, at least she sounds great on this album, I love the soft lilting highs and the gut-gravely intense moments.  She's going to some dark places here with little band back-up, almost none, and relying on the power of her voice alone.  The album struck me a deconstruction of her sound, taking everything apart and playing with the pieces individually, mostly vocally.  Gosh it works well.  Then again, I'm a Fiona fanboy, but I think the album is getting good press. 

I had 3 row tix on the Pawn tour and have been captivated ever since.  Also saw her Tidal show when she was so very young.  Unfortunately I will miss this tour. 

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2012 at 11:40
I guess she finally realized that she didn't need to dress up her songs in lots of arrangements.  Maybe the fact that she ran Extraordinary Machine through two arrangers had something to do with it, who knows.  I love the set up for this new album.  It's a lot more raw and organic, feels especially splendid on speakers...just her voice and her firm hands on the piano ringing clearly.  Without elaborate arrangements, the darker moments sound more compelling than before, I think....more over the edge.  For just this album, I might just have to take over, though not by much, over Kate Bush if I had to name one favourite female songwriter.   She is able to be direct without sounding like she's seeking attention.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 12>