Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPlease Self-Release Me, Let Me Go

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 14>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 2.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2010 at 04:26
Originally posted by stefolof stefolof wrote:

Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

I've never believed in this line of reasoning re the fledgling listener. You might get say, 1 in a 100 kids who respond positively to hearing nothing but avant-garde music but you're left with 99 little pups who never want to hear any music ever again if it all sounds like daddy strangling a balloon animal . The core elements (in the west) that make certain musical effects satisfying to the untrained ear, are not arbitrary i.e. they are all contained and reinforced heavily in mainstream pop music:

A steady pulse
Short melodic phrases that are easy to remember (erm...catchiness ?)
Repetition
simple harmonies that resolve quickly to the tonic
The damn stuff is usually heavily compressed so that even the quieter dynamics are loud etc

I'm not qualified to say if any of the above phenomena are culturally or socially defined but such 'hooks' have been around far longer than any particular musical genre and despite the best efforts of progressive musicians since Robert Fripp was in short pants, will surely outlast them all.

The hooks you are talking about are cultural. They are conventions, standards and agreements between people. Just like languages. You won't see a Chinese child stand up and say "I don't like this language, the characters are too complicated, I'm gonna try English" (in Chinese). How can you question the only thing you know?

I lived in Crete for a period and they have a very limited import of foreign music:

For some reason it reminds me of a trapped insect and I find it very hard to enjoy. This was, however, the music that the vast majority of people, old as well as young, was into.

I DO however agree with you that you will not likely enjoy music that you associate with unpleasantness.

The Cretan ? music was actually OK (not a single creepy crawlie in bondage to my earsWink)
However, apart from the alien textures of the instrumentation and ethnic scales it employs, it also obeys to the letter, all the 'hooks' I alluded to before (although it hardly ever bothers to move from the tonic at all)

Sorry to be so contrary but I'm always suspicious of direct comparisons between an abstract aesthetic phenomenon (instrumental music) and one which codifies sounds to signify concepts (language)

Perhaps I should have stated that something like the 'steady pulse' or 'resolution to the tonic' are somehow psychologically satisfying to we human critters (and yes agreed, this unanimity would manifest itself as a convention or standard in the culture)
stefolof View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2010 at 05:16
>

Edited by stefolof - August 26 2015 at 06:53
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2010 at 08:33
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

I've got to disagree.

People are morons.  They flock to lots of things that are terrible.  The music industry kind of depends on this.

Actually they don't, but that is neither here nor there. We're not "people" or morons and Prog don't work like that.

Present company excluded.  Embarrassed 

All I meant by that comment was that the lowest common denominated is very often what is catered to.  It is what sells.  The Bachelor is in its fourteen season for crying out loud.  Dead 

Or movies: Did you get a chance to see the Mike Myers live-action rendition of Cat in the Hat?  I didn't know Dr. Suess's work needed farts, pee, and double-entendres about "hoes" to make it work.  Even Giesel's widow, owner of the rights to his work, won't allow any other live action films to be made due to this.

I think in some respects, the DIY prog artists who do not have all of the criteria you've described in your original post are gaining more currency for me than much of the major label stuff, and I partly think it is because they are not trying to figure what is going to sell the most units or try to achieve some unestablished standard.

And wait...we're not people?  Shocked
Confused
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2010 at 08:39
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Originally posted by Textbook Textbook wrote:

Rubbish. I know from my own experience in rap that persistence counts more than talent. Trash rappers who won't take no for an answer end up signed a lot more than interesting ones who are laid-back about it.
Well, from my own experience good demos always got me better gigs than bad demos. Otherwise, why even bother making a good demo since making a bad one is so much easier.

What constitutes "good", and what constitutes "bad"?

Tongue

Both words can be found in the dictionary in case there is any confusion.
redorchid View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2010 at 11:52

Wonderful post!! And I have to agree 100% with the author. It may sound odd coming from another independent artist but what Dean mentioned up front is the brutal truth of the industry. You really need to cover all your basis in order to go anywhere. Unfortunately a product does not end when it is created, it is how its delivered. I am learning a lot myself, specially the internet ways which is new to me. In process you do some dumb f**k things Wink but its all part of learning and a step forward. It is also clear from his post that he is not against indie bands, the point is that to be recognized with the best you need to deliver the same or close enough quality. Nothing wrong with that..

Now in support of such bands, there is the other side to it i.e. the lack of means, finances and support structure to deliver this product.  So what do you do? The question they need to ask is why are they creating music in the first place. And I am pretty confident most do it for pleasure and love of it, the monetary gains if any may come later, specially for a prog artist otherwise you would be busy making radio friendly hits and dream to be another Nickleback. Let's face it, the money from sales would probably not even cover the most basic equipment cost, forget about living a decent living. The moment you start otherwise, you are all messed up...seriously.

http://www.redorchidbloom.com
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2010 at 13:09
Originally posted by redorchid redorchid wrote:

Wonderful post!! And I have to agree 100% with the author. It may sound odd coming from another independent artist but what Dean mentioned up front is the brutal truth of the industry. You really need to cover all your basis in order to go anywhere. Unfortunately a product does not end when it is created, it is how its delivered. I am learning a lot myself, specially the internet ways which is new to me. In process you do some dumb f**k things Wink but its all part of learning and a step forward. It is also clear from his post that he is not against indie bands, the point is that to be recognized with the best you need to deliver the same or close enough quality. Nothing wrong with that..

Now in support of such bands, there is the other side to it i.e. the lack of means, finances and support structure to deliver this product.  So what do you do? The question they need to ask is why are they creating music in the first place. And I am pretty confident most do it for pleasure and love of it, the monetary gains if any may come later, specially for a prog artist otherwise you would be busy making radio friendly hits and dream to be another Nickleback. Let's face it, the money from sales would probably not even cover the most basic equipment cost, forget about living a decent living. The moment you start otherwise, you are all messed up...seriously.

Well put, and to that I would add that some of us like to stay busy and will play creative stuff for less money and/or less creative stuff for more money, or sometimes something in between or any combination of the two. Likewise there is no garuntee that playing something creative is definitely going to mean no money, sometimes you can have it both ways.

What I personally find almost impossible to do is play something I really don't like just for money, I'd rather do some other work entirely. Likewise I also find it impossible to work in a musical situation where certain standards aren't being met, I just can't do it.

Edited by Easy Money - February 03 2010 at 13:18
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2010 at 15:27

Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

I think in some respects, the DIY prog artists who do not have all of the criteria you've described in your original post are gaining more currency for me than much of the major label stuff, and I partly think it is because they are not trying to figure what is going to sell the most units or try to achieve some unestablished standard.

I don't know of many Prog artist who are trying to figure out what is going to sell the most units, even those few who are signed to a major label (ie Roadrunner, given that they are owned by WMG) - but what of Cuneiform, Musea, ReR, Tzadik, Inside/Out, Mellow, BTF, Black Widow, Lizard, Burning Shed, Cherry Red, Magna Carta, Intact, ProgRock and all the other small independent labels that feed our selective market? Are any of those labels releasing commercially oriented albums, or albums that haven't achieved this unestablished standard? Now consider all the single band labels like DGM, Toff, Firefly and Fei! that are essentially artists self-releasing their own music, what of them? They have set an unestablished standard and proved that it can be done on a budget.

As you can gather, I despair of the prevalent attitude that labels are big bad monsters that are bent on limiting an artists creativity in order to sell albums - sure those things happen to some mainstream artists on really major labels, but frankly, those artists aren't that interested in being creative and even when those labels release Prog artists (eg VdGG and EMI) they don't interfere with the artist's creative output anything like as much as people here seem to think.

I'll say it again - Self Release is great and if you sell less than 15K, or even 20K, albums in a lifetime (let alone a year) it is certainly the best way and probably the only way to make any money in this "business". And even if an artist is not interested in making money or dislikes the uncomfortable reality that peddling their art is a business, then they still must want some recognition and desire to reach as many people who would like their music as they possibly can or they wouldn't waste time energy and effort pushing their self-released material out into the world. And if that is not true either then don't call it Self-released.

What?
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2010 at 20:00
another bunch of words of wisdom from my favourite music writer ( and B S detector) Bob Lefsetz
as quoted in full from his Feb 3 email

"ALBUMS  vs SINGLES

There was a space in my bookcase where I kept my cash, waiting for four bucks to accumulate...then I went and bought an album, which I played again and again until I knew every cut, until I accumulated enough money to buy another, when I repeated the process.  You see, music was scarce.

Now it's plentiful.

Albums didn't always rule.  Actually, I was one of the few people addicted to the long player back in the early sixties, most people bought singles.  Why buy the album?  You really only wanted the hit.  But somewhere in the Beatles' ascendance, that changed.  Maybe with the single-less "Rubber Soul", certainly with "Sgt. Pepper".  The album was a statement.  Suddenly everyone was buying albums, listening to FM radio to find out what to purchase, to experiment with.  And then when these acts came to town, you went to see them.  Tickets were cheaper, it was little more expensive than seeing a movie...but that's a whole 'nother issue.  No, it's not.  Let's ask that question, what makes someone go to the show?

Assuming it's not a has-been, not a classic rock act, what motivates the average person to overpay to go to the extravaganza?  The hit.  People didn't know much more than the Spice Girls' "Wannabe", they were caught up in the hoopla.  And hoopla still exists, especially if you're like GaGa and put together a string of hits, but how about everybody else?  How many people can have that many hits?  How many can have hits at all?

The listening experience is completely different from the sixties.  Today, there's too much choice.  I'm not starving for music at home, I've got a plethora of services, but anyone can listen to everything via MySpace/YouTube/LaLa.  What are they going to listen to?  Are they going to listen to the album?

Ever marvel at how a youngster multitasks, appears not to be overwhelmed by media?  That's because kids today are only interested in great.  They'll dig deep on something that fascinates them, otherwise they're just interested in the headlines.

There's too much information.  And the way today's youngsters deal with it is to separate the wheat from the chaff.  They're interested in the hit single, but they're not about to pay ten plus bucks for an album and play it over and over again to get it, that paradigm is THROUGH!

Really, don't see the album/single debate from the perspective of the artist, certainly don't look at it from the perspective of the record label, look at it from the perspective of the listener.

The listener wants great music.  He's building a library, a playlist, it's akin to the early sixties, when singles ruled.  Why buy the album?  What are the odds the rest of the tracks are great?  Very low.  Furthermore, the album's not a deal.  At least in the sixties there was an economic incentive to purchase the long player, that doesn't exist in the digital world.  Maybe if the album were five bucks instead of ten plus.  But then people still wouldn't listen to anything but the hit anyway.

In other words, the game we've been playing has died.  Almost completely.  And it's only going to get worse.  And if you're playing the old way and bitching, you're missing the point.

If you're satisfied with the audience you've got and you want to satiate this small coterie with a collection of ten tracks, be my guest.  But those not fans will ignore your long player, they don't care, it's too much music to penetrate, they're not convinced it's worth dedicating the TIME, if a single cut bubbles to the surface they're interested, but they're not going on a fruitless hunt.

So, if you're making an album as an economic vehicle, a product that can blow up and rain coin into your pocketbook, you're screwed, it just doesn't happen like that anymore, because almost no one has got the time to listen to anything but your best work.

A head-scratcher, I know.  I'll give you an example.

I love One eskimO's "Kandi".  I've listened to it at least fifty times, the same way we wore out singles in the days of yore.  But have I played the entire album?  Oh, I gave it a shot.  But it doesn't sound anything like "Kandi".  What I mean is it doesn't have that sly R&B sound, and with thousands of other cuts on my iPod, I gravitate to them.  In other words, our collections today are not albums, but a playlist of singles.

Now this has huge impact on the business, everything from acts to labels to concert promoters.

Acts are going to inherently make less money, after all, people want less of their music.  And those who are interested in a complete album are very few.  Those days of ten million people buying the album just to get the single are done, they died with Napster, they're never coming back, the cherry-picking world of iTunes rules.  If you want to last, you've got to super-serve a small coterie of fans.  Don't tour the world, don't go for world domination, just satisfy your fans, because a fan will come see you live, will buy your merch.

Record labels...  Suddenly, they've lost most of their revenue, and it's never coming back.  You may be selling many more of one, but no one cares about the other nine cuts on the album.  You shouldn't even make them, shouldn't even bother.  Maximize revenue from the single.  And scale back, knowing that the glory days are done.

Concert promoters?  Who's going to come see the acts?  In quantity?

That's one reason festivals rule.  You get to graze.  Most of these acts can play to very few solo, aggregate them and people get to sample, immediately giving a thumbs-up or a thumbs-down.  Your festival appearance is crucial, you must kill, this is where you convince people to come see you again, but odds are most people won't.

But none of this is bad for music.  In the aggregate, people are listening to more music than ever before.  It's just that rather than being limited to three networks, there are five hundred channels.  Rather than being limited to what's in the theatre, they've got Netflix.

And when the CD dies?  And no matter what you read, it's on its way out, there's not going to be anywhere to buy it, sure there will be some indie stores, but so many of those have died, people will start wondering why you ever aggregated ten tracks together, the same way a kid today doesn't understand an 8-track or a cassette.  Once the physical format dies, the whole construct is kaput.

So what's a new act to do?

First question its dedication.  Do you want to play in this new world?  Where a few beat-infused tracks can get airplay on Top Forty and succeed but people don't have to listen to Top Forty?  Are you willing to work really hard for far less, knowing that mass success is not in the offing?

If so, woodshed until you create that one listen track.  That's your main hope of your music spreading.  A cut so good people will tell others about it.  Will put it in their playlist and keep it in rotation.  Then you've got to come up with another.  And another.

And chances are, you can't.

Which is why you read about scenes in Brooklyn and the bands never reach ubiquity, because the average joe just doesn't care, doesn't get it.  But people like Owl City's "Fireflies".  As for the rest of the album, do you even need it?

This isn't about Apple.  This isn't about the labels.  It's not about the acts.  It's about the audience.  We've got incredible sh*t detectors.  More music at our fingertips than we can ever listen to.  And believe me, we want to listen.  But only to what's great.  Can you blame us?
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2010 at 20:06
Your man got at least something right - the way young people filter information. I started reading in diagonal before I got to the middle of the text. LOL
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2010 at 23:25
^^ The Lefsetz article is certainly a very perceptive analysis of what a particular demographic is looking for with regards to 'value' from music. (i.e. young people, and no I'm not going to define that as the author hasn't bothered to either) However, as plausible as the many ramifications are that he outlines for the music industry driven by this very large market, let's not confuse the general with the particular shall we ? Although a relatively smaller niche market, Crusties have a lot of spending power and thus considerable leverage as consumers. Their idea of great music (as evidenced by this site) can at least be defined albeit very fuzzily. What exactly (or even vaguely, I'm not greedy) does Bob the Peripheral Visionary think constitutes 'great music ?'
I suspect your hero Mr L fancies himself as a soothsayer of cutting edge but comes across as a rather glib McLuhan wannabe. We have a mandate for bitchin, it's called consumer sovereignty and any business that ignores such will be missing the point and disappear faster than its products.

The Golden Rule: Those who have the gold make the rules

Edited by ExittheLemming - February 03 2010 at 23:29
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2010 at 23:54
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

I suspect your hero Mr L fancies himself as a soothsayer of cutting edge but comes across as a rather glib McLuhan wannabe. We have a mandate for bitchin, it's called consumer sovereignty and any business that ignores such will be missing the point and disappear faster than its products.

agreed, and I think our writers here - both the genuine ones and our glib McLuhan wannabes - are as good or better   ..plus I can't tell if he's angry about the album disappearing or musicians who don't accept the album disappearing

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2010 at 02:11
...casual viewin', head buried in the sand.

Lefsetz hasn't described anything that hasn't been happening since the album was "invented" - in general popular artists have always staggered from hit single to nearly-hit single until the hits dry-up and the artist disappears onto the cabaret circuit singing renditions of their former glories to punters eating their chicken a la king. Greatest Hits albums and Now XX ... compilations have always been big sellers - the difference now is that the public can collect these in instalments and compile their own compilations a little easier and a little cheaper than before. That's probably fine for the pop artists, the R&B artists, the rappers and the hip-hoppers, the x-factor factory artists and the teenybopper Disney artists but that doesn't work for the indie artists, the metal artists, the jazz artists, the AOR rock artists and the prog artists - those artists are never going to release hit singles, they'll just be releasing albums in instalments that we'll collect like Panini stickers to gum into our virtual albums.

Edited by Dean - February 04 2010 at 02:12
What?
halabalushindigus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2010 at 03:21
Thats why I recorded a Charger Victory song. Because of the propaganda value. An idiotic invention. Funny how L.T.'s dance video got prime-time air time.  Bunch of B.S. marketing, that is what its all about. You know what I DARE anyone to make another crass statement about what talent is. Talent, nowadays, is not as much about talent, as it is about being IN YOUR FACE.

assume the power 1586/14.3
halabalushindigus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2010 at 04:19

www.progarchives.com ALERT!!                                               ( 3-1/2 swigs of Vodka later)

IVE DECIDED TO SELF RELEASELOL

....from the many excerpts of halabalushindigus

so I'm sittin in Denny's one night, by myself, having a ROOT BEER float. And im studying the maps of the globe  Bulgaria Taiwan China etc trying to memorize towns. Trying to work my BRAIN.  so all at once i quickly think of a mathmatical qustion. And at random, out of the air, I say "OK whats 1586/14.3"  I take the napkin cuz I am at Dennerinos, and a pencil and tell myself that I really should do this long hand By Division. On paper USING my mind .  so i work it out on paper and i come to 110.9..something not easy..so i stop there. then i get the CALC  1586/14.3 came out pretty close to what I had figured out on paper . MY MIND ACTUALLY WORKS!.
I got the answer right.
but then i got something else. An infintesimal fraction that 909 forever. Baby say your'e driving on the one after 909? Is there no one after 909? how did i find this and is this the only way to come to this number?
So i dug that and I STILL DO cuz it represents my appreciation for the BRAIN that I have.
I thought this would come out sounding more, you know, better, but I just enjoy the ever lovin fun I get from this great great website. By the way, its late and no one is reading this and one more thing. DEAN you rock

assume the power 1586/14.3
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2010 at 04:22
^ I know, but I prefer your version Wink
What?
jplanet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2010 at 04:23
Weighing in my perspective as a self-released artist:

I agree that with the internet we are now inundated with music, and much of it really is crap. But you have to choose your resources, and not subject yourself to the direct barrage of independently-released music on, let's say, Myspace, CD Baby, etc...If one doesn't have the time to go listening to hundreds of samples and pick out the quality ones themselves, they can certainly turn to the many reviewers, bloggers, dj's, and (ahem) forums that cater to similar tastes. Look for recommendations on Last.fm or Jango - there are lots of ways of finding music that filters through the natural chain of listeners, rather than record company executives.

The biggest positive side to all of this is that a few corporations are no longer in charge of what is popular. I believe that what record companies always feared about Napster and the like, is not that people would have an alternative to buying, but an alternative to whatever was being pushed on the radio and popular media. Sure, you still have big bands like U2 and Bruce Springsteen filling arenas, but they established themselves under the "old guard". Newer bands have to work extremely hard to get noticed in the crowd, and niches such as prog will now never be developed by major labels, and indie labels are lost in the midst of self-released artists as well.

Note that some of the most talked-about prog acts are now self-released (Izz, Phideaux, Spock's Beard) - I'm talking about the staples of the prog festivals, not complete unknowns.

When my band's first album was released on a respectable indie label, we discovered that at some point along the way, distribution was controlled, in part, by a major label (Warner). So, you try to post clips of your music to Last.fm and Myspace, and you end up receiving a notice that you are a copyright infringer! I would have no problem if they were putting us on tour with Muse, but they're not. It was still up to us to promote ourselves.

So, we now fit into the category of self-released, but it is by choice. This is how we are able to stream the entire CD from our website for free, and give away sales revenues to charity without any hassle. I can freely put CDs in the hands of people who will appreciate the music and talk about it. When people buy our CD's through our site or CD Baby, we can invite them to join our mailing list, develop a relationship with our listeners. You can't do this while being on an indie label, as their main concern is still selling CD's. But a band acting on its own can develop a longer-term strategy to raise awareness before monetizing a product nobody knows about.
stefolof View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2010 at 04:54
>

Edited by stefolof - August 26 2015 at 06:52
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2010 at 07:11
Originally posted by jplanet jplanet wrote:

Before I continue, I'd like to thank all the Self-Released artists who have contributed so far to this discussion (John of Shadow Circus, Stefan of Dynamo Bliss, Stig of D'AccorD, Rob of Epignosis and San of Red Orchid, and apologies to anyone I've missed) - I've certainly learnt and benefited from their thoughts, insights and experiences. Clap

I have to admit I expected to get ripped to bits over my OP and (as Iain put it) the unpalatable issues it raised, I have been both surprised and encouraged by the responses from all sides. While I deliberately painted a gloomy picture to emphasise the worse-case future we can expect if standards slide these artists, and many others like them, have ably demonstrated what can be achieved if it is approached with the right attitude, dedication and work ethic: that Self-Release can not only match what signed-artists can produce, they can actually exceed and succeed where many of them fail. There is little doubt that this is the future for non-mainstream music, that the labels will have to eventually follow this model or disappear from the niche markets.

I agree that with the internet we are now inundated with music, and much of it really is crap. But you have to choose your resources, and not subject yourself to the direct barrage of independently-released music on, let's say, Myspace, CD Baby, etc...If one doesn't have the time to go listening to hundreds of samples and pick out the quality ones themselves, they can certainly turn to the many reviewers, bloggers, dj's, and (ahem) forums that cater to similar tastes. Look for recommendations on Last.fm or Jango - there are lots of ways of finding music that filters through the natural chain of listeners, rather than record company executives.

The biggest positive side to all of this is that a few corporations are no longer in charge of what is popular. I believe that what record companies always feared about Napster and the like, is not that people would have an alternative to buying, but an alternative to whatever was being pushed on the radio and popular media. Sure, you still have big bands like U2 and Bruce Springsteen filling arenas, but they established themselves under the "old guard". Newer bands have to work extremely hard to get noticed in the crowd, and niches such as prog will now never be developed by major labels, and indie labels are lost in the midst of self-released artists as well.

Note that some of the most talked-about prog acts are now self-released (Izz, Phideaux, Spock's Beard) - I'm talking about the staples of the prog festivals, not complete unknowns.
Nothing I can add here, other than this (in bold text) is the message I've been pushing since Page 1.

When my band's first album was released on a respectable indie label, we discovered that at some point along the way, distribution was controlled, in part, by a major label (Warner). So, you try to post clips of your music to Last.fm and Myspace, and you end up receiving a notice that you are a copyright infringer! I would have no problem if they were putting us on tour with Muse, but they're not. It was still up to us to promote ourselves.
As a one-time band manager my personal experiences of Indie labels ranges from good to not so good (aside from a box-file full of rejection slips Ouch). As with any business deal, you go into it with your eyes and ears open (and your mouth shut) - you listen to their BS, go away and think, discuss and argue about what is best for you and your band before signing on the dotted line. The general rule of thumb is the smaller the label, the smaller the pot of cash they have to play with and the more work you will have to do in return - but you will be handing over some control to them in return for the work/cash that they provide. Unfortunately, what that means may not be obvious at the time of signing. We played a 5,000 seat gig a week before the album launch and the label wouldn't let the band sell any copies at the gig because it would affect the release-day sales figures, but on the plus side they paid up-front for the remix, remaster, repackaging, fabrication and distribution of the album. On balance it was the right call and I'm happy to have that version of the album alongside the self-release and the demo-cut in my CD rack and I am as pleased as Punch that the band then went on to sell 20 times more copies than the self-release and reached an even wider audience because of what the label did in enabling them to further promote themselves.

So, we now fit into the category of self-released, but it is by choice. This is how we are able to stream the entire CD from our website for free, and give away sales revenues to charity without any hassle. I can freely put CDs in the hands of people who will appreciate the music and talk about it. When people buy our CD's through our site or CD Baby, we can invite them to join our mailing list, develop a relationship with our listeners. You can't do this while being on an indie label, as their main concern is still selling CD's. But a band acting on its own can develop a longer-term strategy to raise awareness before monetizing a product nobody knows about.
Clap ... much kudos and the very best of luck to you. Star
What?
jplanet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2010 at 15:41
Thanks, Dean!

I think that Stefan put it very elegantly and succinctly when he described the stndard indie label deal: "artist takes all risk, company cashes in on any profit and has full exclusivity."

BTW, much of my marketing philosophy with Shadow Circus comes from what I've learned reading the Leftsetz blog. Come to think of it, I believe I got that advice form someone on this board, I forget who it was, but I owe them a big thank-you!
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2010 at 15:41

Times have changed and  I agree that the days of swashbuckling managers like Peter Grant  & overnight sensations are a thing of the past ( remember that Boston song Rock & Roll Band ) and unless you're some sort of freak like Lady Ga Ga patience is a virtue. If you're talented you've got to get your stuff out there and let the people decide. Most people don't know anything about music and go with the flow so they go out and buy Susan Boyle's album from Sony music for $12.99. Be on the safe side. ( I'm not knocking her mind you, Céline's got nothing on her. Seriously. If I were Céline I'd go and hide under the nearest rock after hearing Susan sing Amazing Grace! Chicken soup but she does it well).

Kind of makes me wonder why a lot of bands didn't make it back in the seventies. One example might be Gnidrolog who were on the RCA label in the early seventies. Elvis, David Bowie and Lou Reed were also on the same label. Who's going to get the backing. A rinky dink experimental band that plays medieval rock or the heavy hitters? I have a cousin who was in the music biz and was involved with promoting bands and he just couldn't do it anymore because there was no heart. One of the bands he was involved with was the Jeff Healey Band who couldn't get a deal here in Canada literally had to self-manage themselves and go banging on doors with demos down in the States before they got a deal with Sony Music back in `87 or `88.

As much as I detest computers and the internetAngry I've discovered music that I would have otherwise been oblivious to. I would have probably never have heard of Shadow Circus or any of the other freaked out bands that I listen to from the Russian Federation even though I've always been the one to keep my ears open. I think in the long haul it's getting better for both but time will tell. I'm glad to see that vinyl is coming back. I just ordered Hamburger Concerto on 180 g vinyl! Would like to see the day return when bands can say that they are literally going into the studio to cut" a record
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 14>