Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPlease Self-Release Me, Let Me Go

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 14>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 2.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2010 at 13:18
well, that's great too Smile

stefolof View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2010 at 08:59
>

Edited by stefolof - August 26 2015 at 04:59
Nakatira View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2010 at 07:56
Originally posted by stefolof stefolof wrote:

Originally posted by Nakatira Nakatira wrote:

I finally decided that I wanted some profesionalisme on the end process on the record and hired Pink Floyd's engineer (from 83) to do the Mastering, wich IMO maid all the difference, and I got various friends online that had experience with artwork to help me with the layout finish.

Are you talking about Andy Jackson? He did the the mastering for our latest album as well! LOL

Yup.Clap

were you satisfied with the result?, it sure made wonders on our stuff.

Yes, it definitely added a dimension to the music and unified the sound over the different songs. He was very easy to work with as well.

I just had a quick listen to your stuff, wich was cool btw.
Sounded very good to me.
cool webpage as well, do you play live?
http://daccord-music.com/home.cfm
stefolof View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2010 at 07:37
>

Edited by stefolof - August 26 2015 at 05:00
Nakatira View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2010 at 07:08

I finally decided that I wanted some profesionalisme on the end process on the record and hired Pink Floyd's engineer (from 83) to do the Mastering, wich IMO maid all the difference, and I got various friends online that had experience with artwork to help me with the layout finish.

Are you talking about Andy Jackson? He did the the mastering for our latest album as well! LOL

Yup.Clap

were you satisfied with the result?, it sure made wonders on our stuff.

stefolof View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2010 at 06:54
>

Edited by stefolof - August 26 2015 at 05:00
Nakatira View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2010 at 06:50
Originally posted by MaxerJ MaxerJ wrote:

okay i have done a massive tl;dr and I am just responding to Dean's OP. I'd just like to give the example of Rain's album Cerulean Blue. Rain has self-released this album, and yet not only is it one of the best of 2009, but it sounds the best. It sounds completely professional, even more so than many actual professional albums of the year.

Not dissagreeing with you:

But I think Dean was reffering to the massive number of poor productions out there, productions that would never see the light of day in the Record company days.
I too know for a fact that there are damn good self released albums out there that dont lack anything, I'm certain Dean will agree, but those allbums are very few compared to all the crap out there.

Having a friend who actually collects "Failed" recordings (records, I've heard a few:)

Speaking about my own experience as a Self releasing artist.
I dident have big expectations for my record to sell anything special, my main goal was to make music that I myself like, and If I was lucky someone else would like it too, But I took my time with it when mixing and producing it and used all the channels that I knew about, for an example (Mixing forums, lots of great hints on the way, when your an amateur.
Using the Floyd reference (though small) actually gain quite the publicity and I think thats the key to get noticed you need something to make you visible (add's, networking, contests, giggin and so on)

But most important IMO is listening to other people, get ideas and feedback.
MaxerJ View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2010 at 05:22
okay i have done a massive tl;dr and I am just responding to Dean's OP. I'd just like to give the example of Rain's album Cerulean Blue. Rain has self-released this album, and yet not only is it one of the best of 2009, but it sounds the best. It sounds completely professional, even more so than many actual professional albums of the year.
Godspeed, You Bolero Enthusiasts
'Prog is all about leaving home...' - Moshkito
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2010 at 15:41
Originally posted by jplanet jplanet wrote:

Weighing in my perspective as a self-released artist:

I agree that with the internet we are now inundated with music, and much of it really is crap. But you have to choose your resources, and not subject yourself to the direct barrage of independently-released music on, let's say, Myspace, CD Baby, etc...If one doesn't have the time to go listening to hundreds of samples and pick out the quality ones themselves, they can certainly turn to the many reviewers, bloggers, dj's, and (ahem) forums that cater to similar tastes. Look for recommendations on Last.fm or Jango - there are lots of ways of finding music that filters through the natural chain of listeners, rather than record company executives.

The biggest positive side to all of this is that a few corporations are no longer in charge of what is popular. I believe that what record companies always feared about Napster and the like, is not that people would have an alternative to buying, but an alternative to whatever was being pushed on the radio and popular media. Sure, you still have big bands like U2 and Bruce Springsteen filling arenas, but they established themselves under the "old guard". Newer bands have to work extremely hard to get noticed in the crowd, and niches such as prog will now never be developed by major labels, and indie labels are lost in the midst of self-released artists as well.

Note that some of the most talked-about prog acts are now self-released (Izz, Phideaux, Spock's Beard) - I'm talking about the staples of the prog festivals, not complete unknowns.

When my band's first album was released on a respectable indie label, we discovered that at some point along the way, distribution was controlled, in part, by a major label (Warner). So, you try to post clips of your music to Last.fm and Myspace, and you end up receiving a notice that you are a copyright infringer! I would have no problem if they were putting us on tour with Muse, but they're not. It was still up to us to promote ourselves.

So, we now fit into the category of self-released, but it is by choice. This is how we are able to stream the entire CD from our website for free, and give away sales revenues to charity without any hassle. I can freely put CDs in the hands of people who will appreciate the music and talk about it. When people buy our CD's through our site or CD Baby, we can invite them to join our mailing list, develop a relationship with our listeners. You can't do this while being on an indie label, as their main concern is still selling CD's. But a band acting on its own can develop a longer-term strategy to raise awareness before monetizing a product nobody knows about.
Times have changed and  I agree that the days of swashbuckling managers like Peter Grant  & overnight sensations are a thing of the past ( remember that Boston song Rock & Roll Band ) and unless you're some sort of freak like Lady Ga Ga patience is a virtue. If you're talented you've got to get your stuff out there and let the people decide. Most people don't know anything about music and go with the flow so they go out and buy Susan Boyle's album from Sony music for $12.99. Be on the safe side. ( I'm not knocking her mind you, Céline's got nothing on her. Seriously. If I were Céline I'd go and hide under the nearest rock after hearing Susan sing Amazing Grace! Chicken soup but she does it well).

Kind of makes me wonder why a lot of bands didn't make it back in the seventies. One example might be Gnidrolog who were on the RCA label in the early seventies. Elvis, David Bowie and Lou Reed were also on the same label. Who's going to get the backing. A rinky dink experimental band that plays medieval rock or the heavy hitters? I have a cousin who was in the music biz and was involved with promoting bands and he just couldn't do it anymore because there was no heart. One of the bands he was involved with was the Jeff Healey Band who couldn't get a deal here in Canada literally had to self-manage themselves and go banging on doors with demos down in the States before they got a deal with Sony Music back in `87 or `88.

As much as I detest computers and the internetAngry I've discovered music that I would have otherwise been oblivious to. I would have probably never have heard of Shadow Circus or any of the other freaked out bands that I listen to from the Russian Federation even though I've always been the one to keep my ears open. I think in the long haul it's getting better for both but time will tell. I'm glad to see that vinyl is coming back. I just ordered Hamburger Concerto on 180 g vinyl! Would like to see the day return when bands can say that they are literally going into the studio to cut" a record
jplanet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2010 at 15:41
Thanks, Dean!

I think that Stefan put it very elegantly and succinctly when he described the stndard indie label deal: "artist takes all risk, company cashes in on any profit and has full exclusivity."

BTW, much of my marketing philosophy with Shadow Circus comes from what I've learned reading the Leftsetz blog. Come to think of it, I believe I got that advice form someone on this board, I forget who it was, but I owe them a big thank-you!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2010 at 07:11

Before I continue, I'd like to thank all the Self-Released artists who have contributed so far to this discussion (John of Shadow Circus, Stefan of Dynamo Bliss, Stig of D'AccorD, Rob of Epignosis and San of Red Orchid, and apologies to anyone I've missed) - I've certainly learnt and benefited from their thoughts, insights and experiences. Clap

I have to admit I expected to get ripped to bits over my OP and (as Iain put it) the unpalatable issues it raised, I have been both surprised and encouraged by the responses from all sides. While I deliberately painted a gloomy picture to emphasise the worse-case future we can expect if standards slide these artists, and many others like them, have ably demonstrated what can be achieved if it is approached with the right attitude, dedication and work ethic: that Self-Release can not only match what signed-artists can produce, they can actually exceed and succeed where many of them fail. There is little doubt that this is the future for non-mainstream music, that the labels will have to eventually follow this model or disappear from the niche markets.

I agree that with the internet we are now inundated with music, and much of it really is crap. But you have to choose your resources, and not subject yourself to the direct barrage of independently-released music on, let's say, Myspace, CD Baby, etc...If one doesn't have the time to go listening to hundreds of samples and pick out the quality ones themselves, they can certainly turn to the many reviewers, bloggers, dj's, and (ahem) forums that cater to similar tastes. Look for recommendations on Last.fm or Jango - there are lots of ways of finding music that filters through the natural chain of listeners, rather than record company executives.

The biggest positive side to all of this is that a few corporations are no longer in charge of what is popular. I believe that what record companies always feared about Napster and the like, is not that people would have an alternative to buying, but an alternative to whatever was being pushed on the radio and popular media. Sure, you still have big bands like U2 and Bruce Springsteen filling arenas, but they established themselves under the "old guard". Newer bands have to work extremely hard to get noticed in the crowd, and niches such as prog will now never be developed by major labels, and indie labels are lost in the midst of self-released artists as well.

Note that some of the most talked-about prog acts are now self-released (Izz, Phideaux, Spock's Beard) - I'm talking about the staples of the prog festivals, not complete unknowns.
Nothing I can add here, other than this (in bold text) is the message I've been pushing since Page 1.

When my band's first album was released on a respectable indie label, we discovered that at some point along the way, distribution was controlled, in part, by a major label (Warner). So, you try to post clips of your music to Last.fm and Myspace, and you end up receiving a notice that you are a copyright infringer! I would have no problem if they were putting us on tour with Muse, but they're not. It was still up to us to promote ourselves.
As a one-time band manager my personal experiences of Indie labels ranges from good to not so good (aside from a box-file full of rejection slips Ouch). As with any business deal, you go into it with your eyes and ears open (and your mouth shut) - you listen to their BS, go away and think, discuss and argue about what is best for you and your band before signing on the dotted line. The general rule of thumb is the smaller the label, the smaller the pot of cash they have to play with and the more work you will have to do in return - but you will be handing over some control to them in return for the work/cash that they provide. Unfortunately, what that means may not be obvious at the time of signing. We played a 5,000 seat gig a week before the album launch and the label wouldn't let the band sell any copies at the gig because it would affect the release-day sales figures, but on the plus side they paid up-front for the remix, remaster, repackaging, fabrication and distribution of the album. On balance it was the right call and I'm happy to have that version of the album alongside the self-release and the demo-cut in my CD rack and I am as pleased as Punch that the band then went on to sell 20 times more copies than the self-release and reached an even wider audience because of what the label did in enabling them to further promote themselves.

So, we now fit into the category of self-released, but it is by choice. This is how we are able to stream the entire CD from our website for free, and give away sales revenues to charity without any hassle. I can freely put CDs in the hands of people who will appreciate the music and talk about it. When people buy our CD's through our site or CD Baby, we can invite them to join our mailing list, develop a relationship with our listeners. You can't do this while being on an indie label, as their main concern is still selling CD's. But a band acting on its own can develop a longer-term strategy to raise awareness before monetizing a product nobody knows about.
Clap ... much kudos and the very best of luck to you. Star
What?
stefolof View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2010 at 04:54
>

Edited by stefolof - August 26 2015 at 06:52
jplanet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2010 at 04:23

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2010 at 04:22
^ I know, but I prefer your version Wink
What?
halabalushindigus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2010 at 04:19

www.progarchives.com ALERT!!                                               ( 3-1/2 swigs of Vodka later)

IVE DECIDED TO SELF RELEASELOL

....from the many excerpts of halabalushindigus

so I'm sittin in Denny's one night, by myself, having a ROOT BEER float. And im studying the maps of the globe  Bulgaria Taiwan China etc trying to memorize towns. Trying to work my BRAIN.  so all at once i quickly think of a mathmatical qustion. And at random, out of the air, I say "OK whats 1586/14.3"  I take the napkin cuz I am at Dennerinos, and a pencil and tell myself that I really should do this long hand By Division. On paper USING my mind .  so i work it out on paper and i come to 110.9..something not easy..so i stop there. then i get the CALC  1586/14.3 came out pretty close to what I had figured out on paper . MY MIND ACTUALLY WORKS!.
I got the answer right.
but then i got something else. An infintesimal fraction that 909 forever. Baby say your'e driving on the one after 909? Is there no one after 909? how did i find this and is this the only way to come to this number?
So i dug that and I STILL DO cuz it represents my appreciation for the BRAIN that I have.
I thought this would come out sounding more, you know, better, but I just enjoy the ever lovin fun I get from this great great website. By the way, its late and no one is reading this and one more thing. DEAN you rock

assume the power 1586/14.3
halabalushindigus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2010 at 03:21
Thats why I recorded a Charger Victory song. Because of the propaganda value. An idiotic invention. Funny how L.T.'s dance video got prime-time air time.  Bunch of B.S. marketing, that is what its all about. You know what I DARE anyone to make another crass statement about what talent is. Talent, nowadays, is not as much about talent, as it is about being IN YOUR FACE.

assume the power 1586/14.3
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2010 at 02:11
...casual viewin', head buried in the sand.

Lefsetz hasn't described anything that hasn't been happening since the album was "invented" - in general popular artists have always staggered from hit single to nearly-hit single until the hits dry-up and the artist disappears onto the cabaret circuit singing renditions of their former glories to punters eating their chicken a la king. Greatest Hits albums and Now XX ... compilations have always been big sellers - the difference now is that the public can collect these in instalments and compile their own compilations a little easier and a little cheaper than before. That's probably fine for the pop artists, the R&B artists, the rappers and the hip-hoppers, the x-factor factory artists and the teenybopper Disney artists but that doesn't work for the indie artists, the metal artists, the jazz artists, the AOR rock artists and the prog artists - those artists are never going to release hit singles, they'll just be releasing albums in instalments that we'll collect like Panini stickers to gum into our virtual albums.

Edited by Dean - February 04 2010 at 02:12
What?
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2010 at 23:54
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

I suspect your hero Mr L fancies himself as a soothsayer of cutting edge but comes across as a rather glib McLuhan wannabe. We have a mandate for bitchin, it's called consumer sovereignty and any business that ignores such will be missing the point and disappear faster than its products.

agreed, and I think our writers here - both the genuine ones and our glib McLuhan wannabes - are as good or better   ..plus I can't tell if he's angry about the album disappearing or musicians who don't accept the album disappearing

ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2010 at 23:25
^^ The Lefsetz article is certainly a very perceptive analysis of what a particular demographic is looking for with regards to 'value' from music. (i.e. young people, and no I'm not going to define that as the author hasn't bothered to either) However, as plausible as the many ramifications are that he outlines for the music industry driven by this very large market, let's not confuse the general with the particular shall we ? Although a relatively smaller niche market, Crusties have a lot of spending power and thus considerable leverage as consumers. Their idea of great music (as evidenced by this site) can at least be defined albeit very fuzzily. What exactly (or even vaguely, I'm not greedy) does Bob the Peripheral Visionary think constitutes 'great music ?'
I suspect your hero Mr L fancies himself as a soothsayer of cutting edge but comes across as a rather glib McLuhan wannabe. We have a mandate for bitchin, it's called consumer sovereignty and any business that ignores such will be missing the point and disappear faster than its products.

The Golden Rule: Those who have the gold make the rules

Edited by ExittheLemming - February 03 2010 at 23:29
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2010 at 20:06
Your man got at least something right - the way young people filter information. I started reading in diagonal before I got to the middle of the text. LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 14>