Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedI'm an oldie but now considered a newbie

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: I'm an oldie but now considered a newbie
    Posted: February 07 2010 at 17:35
I've been coming to this site for quite some time, but finally decided to register to show my appreciation to this site.  I have loved prog since the 70s, even before I knew it was a genre.  When I first really started to listen to rock music in the 70s, most of my favorite bands were progressive and I didn't even know it.  My favorite progressive bands are King Crimson, Yes, Porcupine Tree, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Pink Floyd, Ulver, Devin Townsend, Anathema, Russian Circles, Baroness, Blackfield, Dredg, Genesis, IQ, Isis, Kayak, Kayo Dot, Marillion, The Mars Volta, Mercury Rev, Mogwai, Mostly Autumn, Oceansize, O.S.I., Orphaned Land, Ozric Tentacles, Pineapple Thief, Premiata Forneria Marconi, Phish, Primus, Radiohead, Roxy Music, Rush, Shadowfax, Sigur Ros, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, Starcastle, Therion, This Will Destroy You, Virgin Black, Rick Wakeman, Opeth, U.K, Woven Hand, Frank Zappa, and so on.  Wow, even with that extensive list I'm sure I've forgotten many.  But I love prog and I hope to be contributing a lot of album reviews. 

By the way, King Crimson is at the top for a very good reason!  I'm always happy to talk about King Crimson!

I am a huge fan of vinyl also.  In my opinion, nothing beats the black circle!  I have quite an extensive vinyl collection with a lot of surprises. 

Nice to be here.  Please drop me a line if you want to discuss music or if you have any recommendations.  I always love discovering new bands!  By the way, I love Indie-Folk music too.  My Morning Jacket, Fleet Foxes, Band of Horses, Kings of Leon, Blitzen Trapper, Dr. Dog just to name a few.

TCat
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2010 at 17:37
Let me be the first to welcome someone with such a nice screen name and beautiful avatarHug! A very warm welcome from one of the site's biggest cat fansSmile.
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2010 at 17:57
That's quite an extensive list of favorites there.  Welcome to the site, from one cool cat to another. Tongue
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2010 at 18:04

Yes. Everything concerning progressive music gathers in this place. Of course, you can also offer those information and knowledge.

Please enjoy it in the future.

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2010 at 18:15
Thank you very much Raff . . by the way, I left off Blue Oyster Cult as another one of my favorite bands LOL
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2010 at 18:18
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Thank you very much Raff . . by the way, I left off Blue Oyster Cult as another one of my favorite bands LOL

Clap Definitely hope you'll stick aroundSmile!

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2010 at 18:22
welcome
WalterDigsTunes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2010 at 18:44
Did someone say King Crimson?

Nice to have you on board!
UndercoverBoy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2010 at 20:38
Wow!  That's quite an eclectic taste you've got there.  It's nice to see an older person exploring new Prog bands.
Tarquin Underspoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2010 at 22:59
Alright then....give me your top 3 Crimson albums! (For me, that's Red, LTiA, and Discipline at the moment)

And welcome aboard
"WAAAAAAOOOOOUGH!    WAAAAAAAUUUUGGHHHH!!   WAAAAAOOOO!!!"

-The Great Gig in the Sky
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2010 at 19:43
Originally posted by Tarquin Underspoon Tarquin Underspoon wrote:

Alright then....give me your top 3 Crimson albums! (For me, that's Red, LTiA, and Discipline at the moment)

And welcome aboard
Thanks to everyone ... and my favorite Crimson albums are Thrack, Red and LTiA.  I like all of them but I tend to lean towards the louder ones.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2010 at 19:48
Originally posted by gottagetintogetout gottagetintogetout wrote:

Wow!  That's quite an eclectic taste you've got there.  It's nice to see an older person exploring new Prog bands.
I have always followed music closely, and it's easy to do since I'm a manager at a multimedia store.  But I have never discriminated against old/new music. . . The best music is timeless.  Those that listen to only "old" or "new" music are limiting themselves.
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2010 at 22:32

I've been coming to this site for quite some time, but finally decided to register to show my appreciation to this site.  I have loved prog since the 70s, even before I knew it was a genre.  When I first really started to listen to rock music in the 70s, most of my favorite bands were progressive and I didn't even know it.  My favorite progressive bands are King Crimson, Yes, Porcupine Tree, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Pink Floyd, Ulver, Devin Townsend, Anathema, Russian Circles, Baroness, Blackfield, Dredg, Genesis, IQ, Isis, Kayak, Kayo Dot, Marillion, The Mars Volta, Mercury Rev, Mogwai, Mostly Autumn, Oceansize, O.S.I., Orphaned Land, Ozric Tentacles, Pineapple Thief, Premiata Forneria Marconi, Phish, Primus, Radiohead, Roxy Music, Rush, Shadowfax, Sigur Ros, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, Starcastle, Therion, This Will Destroy You, Virgin Black, Rick Wakeman, Opeth, U.K, Woven Hand, Frank Zappa, and so on.  Wow, even with that extensive list I'm sure I've forgotten many.  But I love prog and I hope to be contributing a lot of album reviews. 

By the way, King Crimson is at the top for a very good reason!  I'm always happy to talk about King Crimson!

I am a huge fan of vinyl also.  In my opinion, nothing beats the black circle!  I have quite an extensive vinyl collection with a lot of surprises. 

Nice to be here.  Please drop me a line if you want to discuss music or if you have any recommendations.  I always love discovering new bands!  By the way, I love Indie-Folk music too.  My Morning Jacket, Fleet Foxes, Band of Horses, Kings of Leon, Blitzen Trapper, Dr. Dog just to name a few.

TCat

Welcome!
I highlighted the ones that are some of my favorites.

Edited by A Person - February 09 2010 at 22:33
MovingPictures07 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2010 at 23:08
Welcome!
I Love Internet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2010 at 08:35
I really need to check Sleepytime. Sometimes I feel like I´m saving it for later... for a time when I´m bored with every album I´ve heard.LOL
I like my eggs boiled and that´s it!
mmmreesescups View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2010 at 18:01
Great list, welcome comrade!
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2010 at 19:36

We all start off as newbies.  Putting what I know and like in bold. LOL (Which isn't to say I dislike anything I didn't bold.)
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Post Reply Post Reply