Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTuned Tone for Crossover

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tuned Tone for Crossover
    Posted: February 16 2010 at 20:35
I've always wondered if Ktzat Acheret is included here why Tuned Tone isn't. http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=3261

Tuned Tone (Tzlil Mechuvan in hebrew) is basically the continuation of Ktzat Acheret, the only difference is the substitution of Schlomo Gronich (who went to continue his solo career) by Yitzhak Klepter, this changed a bit the direction of the band towards a more accessible sound...but not by much keeping the original objective of Ktztat Acheret: making A Bit Different music.
They released one self titled album (like Ktzat Acheret)in 1979 but they still tour now days and play Ktzat Acheret songs too...

as always I am available for bios and samples

Edited by ProgressiveAttic - February 24 2010 at 17:20
Michael's Sonic Kaleidoscope Mondays 5:00pm EST(re-runs Thursdays 3:00pm) @ Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio(http://www.deliciousagony.com)

ProgressiveAttic View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2010 at 15:43
The album cover:

Michael's Sonic Kaleidoscope Mondays 5:00pm EST(re-runs Thursdays 3:00pm) @ Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio(http://www.deliciousagony.com)

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2010 at 15:49
Based on those vids, it doesn't sound that Prog to me, and too poppy for Eclectic.
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2010 at 17:17
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Based on those vids, it doesn't sound that Prog to me, and too poppy for Eclectic.

Yes eclectic isn't the best place for them.... probably crossover (or in the worst case related).... I proposed them for eclectic because of the relationship with Ktzat Acheret (big mistake...)... I do find some proginess on their music although they went towards a more commercial sound after Gronich left Ktzat Acheret...

some more samples:

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2010 at 21:01
I'm enjoying those youtube tracks; thanks.
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2010 at 23:07
Yikes, I'm not expert, but to me that sounds far too poppy even for Crossover, but I might be wrong. However, I'm 100% certain they do not qualify for Prog Related. Read the description of prog related again, there is no way they can fit all those criteria.
if you own a sodastream i hate you
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2010 at 05:03
Nice material but not progressive enough, at least as far as my interpretaion goes...
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2010 at 08:38
Originally posted by ProgressiveAttic ProgressiveAttic wrote:

I've always wondered if Ktzat Acheret is included here why Tuned Tone isn't.

Sorry, both my wife and I don't agree with this analogy. We know so far all those bands from Israel you suggested, some have merit, some don't and this one doesn't really. We love their music, but why push and call it prog? it may have proggy parts and characteristics, but even then it's not everywhere and not that blatant, dominant and obvious. I've read Gil Keltsch's article and he mentions a lot of groups there, some are in PA, some not and I don't think all of these should be in.

Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2010 at 17:58
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

Yikes, I'm not expert, but to me that sounds far too poppy even for Crossover, but I might be wrong. However, I'm 100% certain they do not qualify for Prog Related. Read the description of prog related again, there is no way they can fit all those criteria.

"Prog Related is the category that groups bands and artists that:

- Without being 100% Prog, received clear MUSICAL influence of this genre, AND

- Are widely accepted as MUSICALLY influential to the development of Progressive Rock by the community, AND

- Blend characteristics of Progressive Rock with mainstream elements creating a final product that despite not being part of the genre is evident that are close to Prog."

1) The band is comprised of acknowledged prog artists Shem-Tov Levi (jazz-rock/fusion and founder of Sheshet) and Shlomo Ydov (symphonic?) and ex-members of (conceived as a continuation of) eclectic prog act Ktzat Acheret. So the prog influence, although subtle, is present throughout the album.

2)The album is one of Israel's most influential albums and therefore of many later prog works of the country. + It is an important step in the development of Levi's career, who is a very accomplished fusion musician and worked in many prog projects such as The Family Album.

3)Tuned Tone represents a "progressive pop" project, if you will. With strong jazz/fusion influences brought by Levi and a classical perspective of rock proper of symphonic acts brought by Ydov (+ a gypsy guitar style sometimes reminiscent to Steve Howe's)
After a thorough listening of the album (after a long time) I noticed that there are less prog elements than what I remembered so I think the right place for this one is prog-related...

After considering this I think that before adding this one... It is more important to add Shem Tov Levi (which I'll propose) and Ydov for their more characteristic solo prog style.

Post Reply Post Reply