Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBrian Eno & The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Rune2000 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2010 at 08:41
If the memory serves me right Phil's contribution on Taking Tiger Mountain By Strategy was a thank you gesture from Genesis for Brian's contribution on The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway.

Wikipedia:
"For guest drummer Phil Collins, Eno called in a favor from Collins' group Genesis. After Eno had aided with production on Genesis' album The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, Genesis front man Peter Gabriel asked how they could repay Eno. Eno looked at Phil Collins stating that he needed a drummer. Collins played drums on Mother Whale Eyeless as repayment."

Edited by Rune2000 - February 19 2010 at 08:44
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2010 at 08:38
Yeah, longtime Eno and Genesis fan.  It was actually a few years after getting into the Lamb that I realized Eno was in the credits.  I think it was because the first time I read the credits, I didn't know Eno.

As much as I like Banks as a musician, the anecdote above, added to what I've heard already reveals the guy to be a bit of a jerk.

Edited by Slartibartfast - February 19 2010 at 18:59
sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2010 at 07:51

Whilst reading a biography of Brian Eno (On Some Faraway Beach by David Sheppard) I was surprised to discover that Eno had collaborated with Genesis during the recording of The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway (namely adding vocal F/X on Gabriel's voice during The Grand Parade Of Lifeless Packaging and the shimmering production behind Silent Sorrow In Empty Boats). It's said that Tony Banks wasn't keen on his inclusion however and argued against him receiving a credit.

This finally ties up in my own mind the ambivalent album credit of 'Enossification' which I had hitherto simply dismissed as Gabriel being Gabriel.

More well known is the fact that Phil Collins went on to collaborate regularly with Eno on his solo albums Taking Tiger Mountain By Strategy and Another Green World and even credits Brian with encouraging him to start making his own solo albums.

Edited by sigod - February 19 2010 at 10:48
I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12