Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - High Voltage Festival,Victoria Park, London July10
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHigh Voltage Festival,Victoria Park, London July10

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 06:53
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by raindance raindance wrote:

Originally posted by Wilcey Wilcey wrote:

Did nobody go on Saturday? 

Yep! Highlight of the day was Transatlantic who played 'The Whirlwind' in its entirety. They were joined on stage by Steve Hackett for an encore of 'Giant Hogweed'. Whilst it was a nice surprise I'd have preferred one of their songs!

I was gutted to miss Transatlantic (and Pendragon of course) but I bought my ticket before the split was announced. I was even more gutted to find out that Hackett played with them. Cry

Gutted twice? We could use you as a boat!
BunkerStudio View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 09:32
After reviewing the YouTube footage, it was very apparent that Emerson's arm-Nerve damage and focal distonia has reduced his playing significantly. Unbelievable that people think it was a stunning performance!
Severe technical mistakes, miscues & simple "locking up" on melody lines, runs etc...... Lake's voice was strong & clear, even though an octave or two lower than 70's. Palmer was steady as a rock but showed less fireworks. Honestly, they should never go on like this. They sounded tired. Best to remember them at their peak  when they were full of furious, original, super-human & terrifyingly superior playing, some of the very best ever & will never be repeated.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 09:43
^^^ That's fine for those who saw it all first time round. For the rest of us, this performance is just fine, and is certainly better than grainy old film footage with crap sound.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 10:57
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

^^^ That's fine for those who saw it all first time round. For the rest of us, this performance is just fine, and is certainly better than grainy old film footage with crap sound.

Yep, I agree entirely. You could tell Emerson wasn't playing at his best and he fluffed quite a few bits but speaking as someone who missed them at their peak, I was more than happy with the performance.
As for Lake being "an octave or two lower", sorry that's complete Censored. And there's a difference between being there and watching it on YouTube (especially the shaky video I saw).

Edited by chopper - July 27 2010 at 11:02
BunkerStudio View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 12:24
I've seen a better copy than the crappy cell phone one. Not to say we don't love them immensely because at their prime they were super-human in abilities---given more time this round to rehearse & go out on tour it would have come together for sure & been much better. But we have to very pleased we saw them at all.

Edited by BunkerStudio - July 27 2010 at 12:26
NutterAlert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 14:01
Originally posted by BunkerStudio BunkerStudio wrote:

After reviewing the YouTube footage, it was very apparent that Emerson's arm-Nerve damage and focal distonia has reduced his playing significantly. Unbelievable that people think it was a stunning performance!
Severe technical mistakes, miscues & simple "locking up" on melody lines, runs etc...... Lake's voice was strong & clear, even though an octave or two lower than 70's. Palmer was steady as a rock but showed less fireworks. Honestly, they should never go on like this. They sounded tired. Best to remember them at their peak  when they were full of furious, original, super-human & terrifyingly superior playing, some of the very best ever & will never be repeated.

Thank you for your stunning analysis using the state of the art audiio and visual tools at your disposal.

For f**ks sake, there is always some tit around to ruin everything, and in the past it was often me Smile

i totally disagree with everything you say, but I don't care, cos I was there amongst fellow proggers wallowing in notalgia and having a great time. And I was thrilled to see a 67 year old man have the balls to try and re-create what he achieved at his prime. It gives hope for all of us....except perhaps you....

Proud to be an un-banned member since 2005
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 14:04

Originally posted by NutterAlert NutterAlert wrote:

steve Hackett , excellent, would have loved to see more of him, and his bass player...wow!

I hope the comments about the bass player are directed at bass playing talent rather than attractiveness. I believe under the blond plaits and leather skirt, Steve Hackett said it was Nick Beggs.

Oops, I thought (s)he had long blond fhair flowing in the east London breeze?? Or was that a bloke too..

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 14:08

Thank you for your stunning analysis using the state of the art audiio and visual tools at your disposal.

For f**ks sake, there is always some tit around to ruin everything, and in the past it was often me Smile

i totally disagree with everything you say, but I don't care, cos I was there amongst fellow proggers wallowing in notalgia and having a great time. And I was thrilled to see a 67 year old man have the balls to try and re-create what he achieved at his prime. It gives hope for all of us....except perhaps you....

You are my favourite poster this week!

Clap
topographicbroadways View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 15:45

you are 100% correct i was there too and as a 17 year old i will never be able too watch these bands at their prime but ELP brought me one of the happiest night of my life and of course there were times Emerson wasn't sounding perfect but cmon ELP did everything as it was in the day Carls drum solo included every classic move we know him for and Kieths piano playing made you believe you it was 1972 again it was a great night and that concert was so close too an original ELP show that even if that troll was at the show himself he'd have had nothing to complain about
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 16:48

steve Hackett , excellent, would have loved to see more of him, and his bass player...wow!

I hope the comments about the bass player are directed at bass playing talent rather than attractiveness. I believe under the blond plaits and leather skirt, Steve Hackett said it was Nick Beggs.

Oops, I thought (s)he had long blond fhair flowing in the east London breeze?? Or was that a bloke too..

There was a blond female guitarist (centre stage) but even without my glasses I could tell the bass player was a man - I think the chest hair gave it away. Mind you, I'm not sure who the guy behind me shouted "show us your tits" at (maybe that was you?).
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2010 at 03:27
It was indeed Nick Beggs (yes, that ex-Kajagoogoo Nick Beggs) with Hackett - he joined Hackett's band last year.

[edit]

Incidentally, he lives 2 doors down from my brother-in-law.

Edited by Jim Garten - July 28 2010 at 03:28

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2010 at 06:34
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

It was indeed Nick Beggs (yes, that ex-Kajagoogoo Nick Beggs) with Hackett - he joined Hackett's band last year.

[edit]

Wow, a claim to fame!!!

Actually, despite being in Kajagoogoo (and wearing skirts), he is a very fine bass player. Anyone remember Ellis, Beggs and Howard?
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2010 at 16:14

[edit]

Wow, a claim to fame!!!

Actually, despite being in Kajagoogoo (and wearing skirts), he is a very fine bass player. Anyone remember Ellis, Beggs and Howard?
Vaguely.

It was at least 3 to 4 songs before I realised it wasn't a women playing bass. Strangely it was the muscly arms that made my suspicious not the chest hair and lack of ermmm 'definition' in that particular region.Embarrassed
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2010 at 16:23
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

[edit]

Wow, a claim to fame!!!

Vaguely.

It was at least 3 to 4 songs before I realised it wasn't a women playing bass. Strangely it was the muscly arms that made my suspicious not the chest hair and lack of ermmm 'definition' in that particular region.Embarrassed

LOL
You should have gone to Specsavers!

Wilcey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2010 at 04:08
Nick Beggs is one of the greatest bass players around...........anyone catch the last Hackett tour? that stick solo has got balls!  (in a skirt)LOL

The Runaway View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2010 at 14:07
I had to miss Argent to get good spots on ELP. I did get good spots actually, if you call front row okay! I remember everybody cheering when they brought on Keith's giant Moog onstage. And when I saw they brought the B3 I knew it just had to be destroyed in the end LOL I actually hate Fanfare, but the performance in the festival was nothing less than amazing. There were some problems though, especially on the first three songs. They weren't tight in the beginning, Keith would miss notes, Carl would just stop playing, and Greg was very "stupid", shall I say. But around the fourth song they started rocking!

PS When Greg stopped singing in Lucky Man and said "DOWN!!!" I just had to burst out laughing LOL
Trendsetter win!

The search for nonexistent perfection.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2010 at 16:43
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

You are my favourite poster this week!

Clap

Smile
Thank you very much

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2010 at 16:48

There was a blond female guitarist (centre stage) but even without my glasses I could tell the bass player was a man - I think the chest hair gave it away. Mind you, I'm not sure who the guy behind me shouted "show us your tits" at (maybe that was you?).

Good heavens no, perfect gent me! At least I could tell Steve Hackett was a man, but he does look really good for his age, and I love his hair.....
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2010 at 16:56
The good people of High Voltage are talking about early bird tickets for 2011 now....bit keen.

I've suggest VdGG headlining prog stage next year,
Opeth back again on Metal stage,
Lets have some Hawkwind, Gong and Ozrics
Headliners on Sat -  Gabriel era Genesis
Headliners on Sun - Led Zep

Sounds do-able!

Edited by NutterAlert - July 30 2010 at 16:58
The Runaway View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2010 at 17:59
I think they'll have Gong. Maybe a Genesis/GG reunion, hopefully. Roger Waters, I believe! Porcupine Tree, no doubt, probably DT too. Maybe Oceansize, I think Phideaux? I'm sure Hawkwind will do something! Them Crooked Vultures? Maybe Yes? I'm 70% they'll come! Keith Emerson at the Eagle Vision cinema, I hope.

In the end, we'll just have to wait and see Smile

Edited by The Runaway - July 30 2010 at 18:01
Trendsetter win!

The search for nonexistent perfection.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>