Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedeclectic tastes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: How extended are your musical tastes ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [15.79%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [5.26%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [5.26%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [5.26%]
1 [5.26%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [5.26%]
0 [0.00%]
11 [57.89%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2010 at 12:53

I'll go "Y : electro, trip-hop, gothic, world, electronic music, pop, metal, classical, rock"

I love most post-punk but really dislike punk and psychobilly with a passion (crust, no wave, horror punk and Irish punk mean nothing to me)
What?
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2010 at 13:41
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I'll go "Y : electro, trip-hop, gothic, world, electronic music, pop, metal, classical, rock"

I love most post-punk but really dislike punk and psychobilly with a passion (crust, no wave, horror punk and Irish punk mean nothing to me)

Strange that a goth dislikes punk as both genres are intertwined...

Anyway, some recomendations :

punk : check out the Stranglers, the first two Adicts albums, The Damned's 'black album' and 'strawberries' (well it's more psychedelic pop than punk, but still there is punk in it), Dead Kennedys 'fresh fruit for rotting vegetables', french band 'Bérurier Noir',  Jello Biaffra with Nomeansno 's 'the sky is falling and I want my mommy', MC5, Minor Threat, Minutemen, GBH, Nomeansno's 'wrong', you will change your mind. 

psychobilly : check out Meteors' 'wreckin' crew' and The Cramps' 'songs the Lord taught us' these are really good albums, and classics in the genre.

horror punk : early Misfits is mandatory, check out also 'american psycho'. Also the excellent polish band Miguel and the living dead (more gothic punk though).

irish punk : 'The Pogues' 'red, sodomy and the lashes' , although more folk than punk, is a must-have. I saw Dropkick Murphys live recently, they were fantastic... 

no wave : check out James Chance and the Contortions, excellent punk/funk/jazz. The album 'buy' is a must-have. Saw the guy live recently with a french backing band (les Contorsions) it's really stunning.

crust : check out Uphill Battle

Edited by lucas - February 28 2010 at 13:41
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2010 at 13:44

trip-hop, electronic music, pop, metal, jazz, funk, tango, soul(or R&B) and rock

Edited by The Quiet One - February 28 2010 at 13:46
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2010 at 13:48

tango, soul, funk, electro, trip-hop, world, lounge, electronic music, rock’n’roll/rockabilly, ska/reggae, pop, punk, metal, folk, blues, classical, jazz, rock

Similar to C, but with some omissions. 

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2010 at 14:43
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Strange that a goth dislikes punk as both genres are intertwined...

Anyway, some recomendations :

punk : check out the Stranglers, the first two Adicts albums, The Damned's 'black album' and 'strawberries' (well it's more psychedelic pop than punk, but still there is punk in it), Dead Kennedys 'fresh fruit for rotting vegetables', french band 'Bérurier Noir',  Jello Biaffra with Nomeansno 's 'the sky is falling and I want my mommy', MC5, Minor Threat, Minutemen, GBH, Nomeansno's 'wrong', you will change your mind. 

psychobilly : check out Meteors' 'wreckin' crew' and The Cramps' 'songs the Lord taught us' these are really good albums, and classics in the genre.

horror punk : early Misfits is mandatory, check out also 'american psycho'. Also the excellent polish band Miguel and the living dead (more gothic punk though).

irish punk : 'The Pogues' 'red, sodomy and the lashes' , although more folk than punk, is a must-have. I saw Dropkick Murphys live recently, they were fantastic... 

no wave : check out James Chance and the Contortions, excellent punk/funk/jazz. The album 'buy' is a must-have. Saw the guy live recently with a french backing band (les Contorsions) it's really stunning.

crust : check out Uphill Battle
Thank you for the kind list Lucas, but I'm 52 years old - in 1976 I was 19, living in England and fully aware of the music scene in all its forms, so I have heard of most (if not all) of the bands and albums you have recommended at some point in the intervening 34 years and I am not going to change my mind, or my definition of what is and want is not "punk". For example by 1981 The Damned were a long way (and 5 years) removed from punk rock, as the 17 minute Curtain Call ably demonstrates.

Goth and punk are not intertwined, but related.

Very few post-punk bands were punk to begin with even if they formed during the punk era (76-77).

What?
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2010 at 14:50
you get an A Lucas for taking the time to type all that out.. .yowsers.

I'm electric.. so choosing A.   Nothing I won't listen to.....
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2010 at 14:58
^
Thank you micky.
I didn't want to create a poll with only one musical choice per line, but the fact is that it is difficult to mention combinations that would satisfy everyone. Therefore the "Y" for anyone who isn't happy with choices proposed.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2010 at 15:03
hah...  at least you got to page 2.   believe it or not back in my active days here at PA's.  I actually counted how many polls I had started... and only 1..   1 EVER made it to page 2.  My polls are the kiss of death.. then again... so are my threads. LOL  
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2010 at 15:04
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

you get an A Lucas for taking the time to type all that out.. .yowsers.

I'm electric.. so choosing A.   Nothing I won't listen to.....

Same here, though this doesn't mean that I have CDs belonging to all those genres in my collection. On a side note, I endorse Lucas' suggestion of Astor Piazzolla as potentially appealing to prog fans. When my late mom came back from a trip to Argentina, she brought back some Piazzolla CDs, which really blew me away.
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2010 at 15:17
Raff and Micky : Hug
WalterDigsTunes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2010 at 15:23
Hard one, since there are times when there's good music with post-1989 "genres" by its side Confused
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12