Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKatatonia - which Prog Archives sub-genre?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Poll Question: If Katatonia were on Prog Archives, which sub-genre would you suggest?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
59 [36.88%]
7 [4.38%]
14 [8.75%]
27 [16.88%]
16 [10.00%]
37 [23.13%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2010 at 15:03

Originally posted by angelmk angelmk wrote:

Although i like Katatonia a lot , i cannot say it is progressive, maybe little hits of prog here and there but not sufficient enough to be added here. I get some feeling that everyone tries to push his favourite band in PA. i saw the progfreak charts UMUR displayed in the few posts above , and i saw Kreator suggested for PA, non sense, also Green Day for PA - hilarious,  also Lacuna Coil, Machine Head and countless other rejected,  for god sake people, lets add any band related to rock and metal here, so we gonna have rock/metal archives then, no need to waist our time seeking  for progressiveness, we will avoid just acts like Britney Spears and the likes,  unless someone says they are prog 

Thumbs Up

sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2010 at 17:37

Although i like Katatonia a lot , i cannot say it is progressive, maybe little hits of prog here and there but not sufficient enough to be added here. I get some feeling that everyone tries to push his favourite band in PA. i saw the progfreak charts UMUR displayed in the few posts above , and i saw Kreator suggested for PA, non sense, also Green Day for PA - hilarious,  also Lacuna Coil, Machine Head and countless other rejected,  for god sake people, lets add any band related to rock and metal here, so we gonna have rock/metal archives then, no need to waist our time seeking  for progressiveness, we will avoid just acts like Britney Spears and the likes,  unless someone says they are prog 
As I remember it the early days of the PMT saw several bands voted on an rejected just to prove they wouldnt let any old metal in, hence Evernesance and Lacuna Coil.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Kashmir75 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2010 at 20:56
Well, just to throw some fuel on the fire, Green Day's American Idiot was about as Tommy esque conceptual rock opera as its possible to get for a modern mainstream rock band. I can see why folks might think its prog Tongue
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...
(De)progressive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2010 at 09:41

Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Come on angel that isnīt fair! Youīre doing the exact same thing as the Camel dude above my last post which is to imply that people here want to add Katatonia because they like Katatoniaīs music. And as I said above that is completely irrelevant. The people in this thread who would like to see Katatonia added to PA want to see Katatonia added because they feel they are progressive and have a place here.

Itīs up to those believers to create a strong enough case to convince the non-believers ( man I love those religious terms LOL). As I implied above it will likely fail, but who knows if they havenīt tried?
UMUR, i wasn't implying on Katatonia exactly, a was more infuriated by people who just suggest some obvious non-prog bands here,  and by accedent i unleashed my rage here on Katatonia thread. As far as i am concerned Katatonia has some prog moments for sure. i will support Negoba here, if we add Katatonia, then we also open the door for loads of bands similar to Katatonia, for example Sentenced, Autumnblaze, Nox Mortis, Swallow the Sun,Novembers Doom, Lifelover,  and that is some vicious circle , many non prog bands could enter the archives .. 

Actually Novembers Doom and Lifelover has some prog elements even if not they have sure a progressive music style. (IMO)

And you should think the opposite, maybe there are lots of bands in PA that are really not that progressive and there are some bands that had been rejected or removed unfairly although they have enough prog elements in them.

Edited by (De)progressive - April 14 2010 at 09:43
''Hope is the first step on the road to dissapointment.'' (Friedrich Nietzsche)

Conor Fynes View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2010 at 13:24
You left out the only genre I think they would properly fit into! Experimental/Post... especially considering Anathema is already in there and they basically have very similar career paths.
dude1 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2010 at 22:25
I think Katatonia should definitely have a page on PA.  I think they'd fit perfectly in the Experimental/Post-metal subgenre.  Now I wouldn't actually call Katatonia "prog", but they are continously experimenting with the blending of styles in their music.  They really aren't a progressive rock outfit, but they are definitely progressive in their own right.  If bands like Deadsoul Tribe and Anathema are included on this website, then I believe Katatonia should DEFINITELY be on board as well.  For those who have not heard it yet, Night is the New Day is very progressive in this aspect.  And listening to all their albums chronologically will show the progression of the band unfolding from album to album. 

...And I do believe that over the years the word "prog" has increasingly become a broader, looser term.

But, again, I strongly believe that Katatonia deserves a spot in the Experimental/post-metal group, hands down.  So I voted for "Other"!Smile
Citizen Erased View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2010 at 17:49
Experimental/Post-Metal is indeed Katatonia's place I think.
And lo, the mighty riffage was played and it was good

<a href="www.last.fm/user/jonzo67" targe
Conor Fynes View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2010 at 01:05
...so it's settled then??
TheClosing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2010 at 05:30
Been a fan of the clean vocal material for quite some time; however, I don't think they belong here. Not sure why Anathema is here either, but whatever. 
katatonia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2013 at 09:12
I've always been a huge fan and tried to suggest them here.a funny guy has put metallica in here Dead but kat not till now
katatonia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2013 at 09:15
if kat doesn't belong here then sure metallica,fates warning and some others would be outa here,frankly,metallica has a respect,but not here,I would give my best to the person who would remove it!
at last,Katatonia is welcomed here,please take a look at what Frank Default has did till today
pianoman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2013 at 11:23
Look people, once the masses declare something "progressive" then it becomes prog music. Regardless of what the few "experts" or whatever define the genre as for example:

(Taken from LastFM)

Those tags are voted on by thousands of people. And the general consensus is that they are progressive metal, so therefore, it is probably appropriate (and fair for the band) for them to be included on the site. Regardless.

*Edit: wow, just realized this thread is ancient.

Edited by pianoman - October 13 2013 at 11:24
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2013 at 12:08
There's been an attempt to get them added more than once without any success. I think they belong here in Post-Metal but would be shocked if they are ever added. At least the MMA site has them and i've been slowly reviewing them over there.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2013 at 12:55
Congratualtions on raising from the grave a thread that has dead for three years. There are more recent threads you could have found using a simple search.

Originally posted by katatonia katatonia wrote:

if kat doesn't belong here then sure metallica,fates warning and some others would be outa here,frankly,metallica has a respect,but not here,I would give my best to the person who would remove it!
at last,Katatonia is welcomed here,please take a look at what Frank Default has did till today
If you can put together an argument in favour of Katatonia that even approaches the kind of discussion that revolved around the addition of Metallica then I would be very surprised. 

I should also point out that Metallica are in Prog Related, no one is suggesting they are or ever were a Progressive band. It has been a long time since we have ever had to state this, but I feel you have made it necessary:

Prog Related is not Prog

- please print this out in big letters and scotch-tape it to your monitor.

Katatonia do not meet any of the requirements for Prog Related, Metallica do.

What?
VOTOMS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2013 at 07:40
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Congratualtions on raising from the grave a thread that has dead for three years. There are more recent threads you could have found using a simple search.

If you can put together an argument in favour of Katatonia that even approaches the kind of discussion that revolved around the addition of Metallica then I would be very surprised. 

I should also point out that Metallica are in Prog Related, no one is suggesting they are or ever were a Progressive band. It has been a long time since we have ever had to state this, but I feel you have made it necessary:

Prog Related is not Prog

- please print this out in big letters and scotch-tape it to your monitor.

Katatonia do not meet any of the requirements for Prog Related, Metallica do.

I think their progressive side are clearly between post and prog metal. But I'll have to agree, Katatonia do not meet any of the requirements for prog related. But accepting Katatonia as a postmetal band in PA would really make sense.
p.s. I think Megadeth should be added to the prog related as Metallica. 
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2013 at 07:56
Originally posted by VOTOMS VOTOMS wrote:

p.s. I think Megadeth should be added to the prog related as Metallica. 
Nope. It really, really, really doesn't work like that.
What?
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2013 at 08:15
I don't see what's post metal about Katatonia.

Prog related would work. 
katatonia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2013 at 11:07
degraving a triple years old corpse here,but Kat is more prog than many bands here,if you guys say that it should be a prog related,then why hesitation?
although,I'm really sure that there's enough rooms of prog here to place Kat somewhere in
katatonia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2013 at 11:09
BTW,take a look up,in these past years,3 years,they've gone more to prog.you can check.
for the love of god,I love fates warning,but isn't even as prog as Kat,but is set as prog metal here
hmmm
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2013 at 11:16

degraving a triple years old corpse here,but Kat is more prog than many bands here,if you guys say that it should be a prog related,then why hesitation?
although,I'm really sure that there's enough rooms of prog here to place Kat somewhere in
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Katatonia do not meet any of the requirements for Prog Related.

BTW,take a look up,in these past years,3 years,they've gone more to prog.you can check.
for the love of god,I love fates warning,but isn't even as prog as Kat,but is set as prog metal here
hmmm
I have been buying Katatonia albums for over 15 years, I checked, they have not move more to prog, quite the reverse, [and incidentally, I do not love god]. They ain't Fates Warning, they ain't Prog Metal, they ain't Post Metal, they ain't Prog Related. 
hmmph
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>