Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTerry Riley?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Terry Riley?
    Posted: March 12 2010 at 12:35

I said in a tread about Phillip Glass that I felt Terry Riley should be here so I feel it deserves a tread of its own. I always felt albums like ‘A Rainbow in Curved Air’ and ‘Shri Camel’ were much more than minimalism. Riley’s inventive and original Electronic melodies were pushing musical boundaries in a highly experimental way that could definitely, in my opinion, be classified as Prog Rock.

Will Terry Riley ever find his way into Prog Archives?

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2010 at 15:43
I very definitely support Riley's inclusion, and have mentioned it in threads before.

A Rainbow in Curved Air is prog (as far as site parameters go) and could easily, I think, be included in Progressive Electronic. It's a great album.

And again, first track I check at youtube because it has been a while since I've heard Shri Camel, it would great for Progressive Electronic, I think.

So yeah, he should be in. I think, the question might be whether he follows Cale whom is in Prog Related and he collaborated with on a great album, who is in Prog Related,  because Prrog Related better fits Cale's discography or a proper Prog category .  He is a great figure who really does deserve inclusion, I think

Incidentally, for those that don't know it, here's a track from that Riley/Cale album:

Quote http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHPQYGLa61c

He has also collaborated with Eno and many others, and is at least Related (though I would rather see him in a prog category).  I like his jazzy music too.

This is a very cool Riley/Cherry improv collaboration:

Electronic, academic music, jazz, rock, drone, ambient... the guy is good.

Sorry not writing this very well, but I'm very distracted with other things.

Edited by Logan - March 12 2010 at 15:47
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2010 at 16:24
I second the motion.
Bigger on the inside.
Tsevir Leirbag View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2010 at 16:29
L'Infonie's Vol. 33 is a rendition of Riley's In C
Les mains, les pieds balancés
Sur tant de mers, tant de planchers,
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2010 at 07:02
I wonder if Terry Riley isn't a bit too much "avant-garde" for PA. But, after all, I just know "In C", so I'm not sure if his music has rock elements in it or not.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2010 at 07:15
Rainbow in Curved Air is certainly worthy of being considered as distinctly separate from the systems music/minimalism canon (and it did inspire Baba O'Riley by the Who) BTW I think the album sucks but it certainly wouldn't be out of place in the archive.

However, please consider the precedent being set here i.e. if PA is open to Adams, Reich, Lamont Young Glass, Reilly et al where does it stop ? e.g. Bartok, Stravinsky and Ginastera have been influential to many prog musicians and I'm sure you would hesitate at endorsing the latter's claim as 'prog related' ?
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2010 at 07:21
I believe the electronic team voted on Terry Riley not long ago and he was rejected. If someone wants to send a PM to Phillipe and see if he wants to discuss Riley that might prove illuminating.

By the way, Riley's record with John Cale is here under the Cale discography.
philippe View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2010 at 08:22
I've already discussed about this possibility time ago. Terry Riley clearly influenced many bands and artists mentioned in the progressive electronic section...and his looped hypnotic organ works (Rainbow in curved air / Persian Surgey dervishes) are very challenging, intuitive and unusually experimental for a classical minimalism artist. However most part of  his discography  belongs to classical contemporary music, admitting strong relationships with Glass, Adams, Reich, Lou Harrisson (...) Consequently I don't hesitate to tell you that I'm opposed to an addition (despite that I've mentioned his name in the progressive electronic subgenre definition, because of historical facts. I've done the same with Morton Subotnick)...despite that John Cale is in prog related I'm not sure that Terry Riley deserves an addition...because 95% of his work is based on classical-acoustic orchestration, using codified notation and belongs to the contemporary repertoire.

Terry Riley's list of (proggy) transcendent minimal electronic works:

Rainbow in Curved Air (1969)
Persian Surgery Dervishes (1972)
Shri Camel (1980)
Descending Moonshine Dervishes (1982)

Edited by philippe - March 13 2010 at 08:28
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2010 at 09:40
I betcha we might take it in Crossover.  I don't know, it seems like Electronic and all the other Sub teams are a bit too picky.  I'm honestly not really familiar with Riley, but I like what I'm hearing.

Edited by Slartibartfast - March 13 2010 at 09:57
MovingPictures07 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2010 at 09:53
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I betcha we might take it in Crossover.  I don't know, it seems like Electronic and all the other Sub teams are a bit too picky.  I'm honestly not really familiar with Riley, but I like what I'm hearing.

This couldn't be more true.

I'd be glad if Terry Riley gets into the Archives; he deserves to be here.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2010 at 09:57
Originally posted by MovingPictures07 MovingPictures07 wrote:

You know as much as I am familiar with Reich and Glass, I am ashamed to admit I don't really know Riley.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2010 at 11:47
Originally posted by philippe philippe wrote:

I've already discussed about this possibility time ago. Terry Riley clearly influenced many bands and artists mentioned in the progressive electronic section...and his looped hypnotic organ works (Rainbow in curved air / Persian Surgey dervishes) are very challenging, intuitive and unusually experimental for a classical minimalism artist. However most part of  his discography  belongs to classical contemporary music, admitting strong relationships with Glass, Adams, Reich, Lou Harrisson (...) Consequently I don't hesitate to tell you that I'm opposed to an addition (despite that I've mentioned his name in the progressive electronic subgenre definition, because of historical facts. I've done the same with Morton Subotnick)...despite that John Cale is in prog related I'm not sure that Terry Riley deserves an addition...because 95% of his work is based on classical-acoustic orchestration, using codified notation and belongs to the contemporary repertoire.

Terry Riley's list of (proggy) transcendent minimal electronic works:

Rainbow in Curved Air (1969)
Persian Surgery Dervishes (1972)
Shri Camel (1980)
Descending Moonshine Dervishes (1982)

Thanks, was sure it had been discussed before.  While I think he has enough suitable material to be a contender for Progressive Electronic, I understand your reservations and respect them.  At the least, I believe that he should be included in Prog-Related for his significant contributions to and influence on progressive electronic music.
MovingPictures07 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2010 at 11:50

Originally posted by MovingPictures07 MovingPictures07 wrote:

You know as much as I am familiar with Reich and Glass, I am ashamed to admit I don't really know Riley.

You'll have to check some more out, it's pretty good stuff. Thumbs Up
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2010 at 12:03
Well, I definitely think Rainbow in Curved Air is on the more progressive side of electronica, especially as it came near the beginning of progressive electronic (and toward to end of proto-electronic). I don't really know much else of his work so there.

I will say that progressive electronic seems to be the most paradoxical genre we have on PA. Let's admit that tons of electronic bands have long pieces of challenging, progressive music, or short intense, pieces of chanllenging music. But the spectrum and variety of artists and styles in the electronica genre is many times more diverse than in rock music. And it seems that lest the floodgates be opened 'til eventually Daft Punk gets in somehow, the levee is kept shut to many, many modern bands that seem quite progressive (Aphex Twin, Flashbulb, BT). I'm probably wrong, but in many cases how else could these bands not be included if not because "they're not like Tangerine Dream or Redshift."

That's not a complaint against the PE team, though. I understand that with the huge variety in electronica, all it takes is a few controversial additions 'til people start asking why Moby isn't here.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2010 at 12:42
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Rainbow in Curved Air is certainly worthy of being considered as distinctly separate from the systems music/minimalism canon (and it did inspire Baba O'Riley by the Who) BTW I think the album sucks but it certainly wouldn't be out of place in the archive.

However, please consider the precedent being set here i.e. if PA is open to Adams, Reich, Lamont Young Glass, Reilly et al where does it stop ? e.g. Bartok, Stravinsky and Ginastera have been influential to many prog musicians and I'm sure you would hesitate at endorsing the latter's claim as 'prog related' ?

It'll stop at Stockhausen (whom Riley was influenced by), Xenakis, Varese and the like (I'd actually like a new category for such non-Prog artists). ;)

I think some worry too much about precedents.  The academic music composers you mentioned (Bartok, Stravinsky, and Ginastera) were influential to Prog, but one cannot say they had the direct involvement with progressive music, as encompassed by the site's categories, as Riley did.  Aside from Riley's progressive electronic albums, his collaborations with artists such as Cale, Eno and others makes him far more considerable.  Riley has worked with rock artists.  Furthermore, Igor Wakhevitch, who is in Progressive Electronic, was a student of his.  Aside from influence and collaborations, I do believe that Riley has sufficient music, and that's what really matters, that fits PA's parameters.

I expect there would be calls for Reich, whom Riley has collaborated with, but that should be evaluated on its own merits. Maybe there'd be calls for the jazzer, who has done Fusion work, Don Cherry whom he has collaborated with, and maybe there would have been calls for Cale if he weren't already in due to their collaboration. Don Cherry would of course lead to Ornette Coleman (of course we already have Ornette Coleman's Prime Time in here). And of course Riley would lead to Kronos Quartet's addition (think there are are already precedents for that).  Of course La Monte Young would have to be added. Of course Eno is already here.  My God, if Rilley is added, then every minimalist, every academic music composer, ever electronic artist, and every jazz man will have to be added.  It'll be the end of progressive "rock" archives as we know it.
philippe View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2010 at 16:03
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

I'm probably wrong, but in many cases how else could these bands not be included if not because "they're not like Tangerine Dream or Redshift."

I accept everything adventurous from early Moog pop-ish experiments, to kosmische, droning minimalism, industrial and ethereal, organic ambient...I reject things related to IDM, clubbing, breakbeats (...) all these sh*tty stuffs for mechanical-body dancers, also functional new age relaxation music...Progressive electronic music is music for the "Brain". 

Edited by philippe - March 13 2010 at 16:10
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2010 at 23:14

I'm probably wrong, but in many cases how else could these bands not be included if not because "they're not like Tangerine Dream or Redshift."

I accept everything adventurous from early Moog pop-ish experiments, to kosmische, droning minimalism, industrial and ethereal, organic ambient...I reject things related to IDM, clubbing, breakbeats (...) all these sh*tty stuffs for mechanical-body dancers, also functional new age relaxation music...Progressive electronic music is music for the "Brain". 
You do realize that you're not supposed to actually dance to IDM and breakbeat, right? Something can be "music for the brain" without being an ambient voyage into the recesses of your psyche.
if you own a sodastream i hate you
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2010 at 23:26
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

You do realize that you're not supposed to actually dance to IDM and breakbeat, right? Something can be "music for the brain" without being an ambient voyage into the recesses of your psyche.

^Just because it has a beat doesn't mean you dance to it. Besides, I'd like to see someone dance to anything off Venetian Snares Making Orange Things.
philippe View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2010 at 04:07
ok, I think with people like you, the discussion is pointless. I'm not opposed to "electro beats", it depends of many things and especially to the approach. Kraftwerk, Wolfgang Riechmann, Cybotron and many others included in the archives provide electro beats to their soundscapes...about musical ways to reach astral voyage and ravishing state of trance you are wrong...just listen to the noisy-bruitish facet of the subgenre or the almost symphonic-orchestrated splendor of compositions delivered by Roberto Cacciapaglia and a few others. 

About Venetian Snares, this one is a real atrocity for the ears and largely commercially orientated. Breakcore is just the opposite to the fundamentals of progressive rock . This is closer to punk music. In a sense it is electro-punk. 

I'm sure both of you  will have an other discourse in a few years.

Edited by philippe - March 14 2010 at 04:18
 Post Reply Post Reply