Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedELP Appreciation thread !!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2010 at 16:13
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Regardless of all their ups and downs and weaker songs, I absolutely love ELP. That's why I started the other thread of 'What's wrong with ELP?', it still does not fit into my head that this amazing band has got  NOT EVEN ONE album with 5 stars at PA, I find it unbelievable.
When I see for example that Arena's Contagion, or Mike Oldfield's Amarok to name a couple have 5 stars... sure they are good albums and all my respect to Arena and Oldfield, but that they can be rated higher than ELP debut, Pictures, Tarkus, Trilogy, Brain Salad or Welcome Back ???  sorry I still do not get it Shocked

Some people say they would not rate ELPs albums with 5 stars because of Are You Ready Eddy, or of Lucky Man or of Benny the Bouncer... well I think that's very cruel, 'Mad Mad Moon' is not a masterpiece and 'I know what I like' neither in my opinion, but I still give 5 stars to Selling England by the Pound (as most others do, seen that it's got the 5 star average).

Although one of my favourite bands I do think there is a massive Genesis bias on this website with many preferring the calm preciseness of Banks to the energy of Emerson. Ok fair enough as its a matter of taste but I think it does mean their albums are a bit overated.SEBTP has some dull stuff particularly More Fool Me,The BAttle Of Epping Forest and I know what I Like yet people complain about Benny The Bouncer which is a whole ..ermmm..2 minutes NOT the interminable ten minutes or whatever of Battle Of Epping Forest.Oh well.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2010 at 16:42
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Although one of my favourite bands I do think there is a massive Genesis bias on this website with many preferring the calm preciseness of Banks to the energy of Emerson. Ok fair enough as its a matter of taste but I think it does mean their albums are a bit overated.SEBTP has some dull stuff particularly More Fool Me,The BAttle Of Epping Forest and I know what I Like yet people complain about Benny The Bouncer which is a whole ..ermmm..2 minutes NOT the interminable ten minutes or whatever of Battle Of Epping Forest.Oh well.

Oeps... Obviously I meant "More Fool Me" for SEBTP and not "Mad Mad Moon".
My only discrepancy is that I quite like The Battle Of Epping Forest Tongue
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2010 at 16:43

You know, Richard, Micky and I were talking about exactly the same thing a couple of days ago - how for some people "Benny the Bouncer" or "Jeremy Bender" are bad, while the filler on SEBTP (which is a big favourite of mine anyway) is great. I suppose it's all a matter of taste, though it would be nice if people didn't try to present it as fact.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2010 at 02:46

Oeps... Obviously I meant "More Fool Me" for SEBTP and not "Mad Mad Moon".
My only discrepancy is that I quite like The Battle Of Epping Forest Tongue

I enjoyed Battle Of Epping Forest for about 4-5 plays then the novelty just wore of.I know its meant to be fun but it just goes on too long(IMO). I have to admit I also rated SEBTP 5 stars although I will have to go back and read my own review to understand whyEmbarrassed 
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2010 at 09:28
ELP was a great band, and one of the most important Progressive bands. John Collinge of Progression magazine includes them in the "Big Six" prog bands opf all times, and I agree with him, ELP's music is timelss and their sound was quite unique and influential. 
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2010 at 15:36
I might say that the term "Supergroup" was coined for ELP. The other supergroups just followed.
Alberto Muņoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2010 at 16:51

I might say that the term "Supergroup" was coined for ELP. The other supergroups just followed.

Aren't that term wasn't for Blind Faith??Confused

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2010 at 02:51
Originally posted by Alberto Muņoz Alberto Muņoz wrote:

I think you are right although Blind Faith didn't last long so ELP ended up 'owning' this description.I doubt too many now remember Blind Faith tbh.

Edited by richardh - March 17 2010 at 02:52
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2010 at 06:46

I think you are right although Blind Faith didn't last long so ELP ended up 'owning' this description.I doubt too many now remember Blind Faith tbh.

Micky and I do, and we both love their only album (with the exception of that overlong drum solo at the endWink). Pity they didn't last long, though I'm not complaining about ELP taking their place!
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2010 at 05:28
Considering that ELP produced the debut, Tarkus, Pictures at an Exhibition, Trilogy and Brain Salad Surgery within the space of THREE YEARS dammit, they deserve mammoth kudos for such an enduring body of work that even today for me, is an unimpeachable creative peak that not even Yes, Crimson, Genesis, Tull, Floyd etc can match.

Genesis took 4 years and 5 albums to get to Selling England by the Pound (and one of of those is a complete diaper burrito plus I think large swathes of Trespass is borderline juvenilia)
Yes did 5 albums in 3 years but only hit their prog stride on The Yes Album.

No other prog giant had ELP's sustained level of innovative brilliance from 70 to 74. I do concede that their albums do contain some weaker material (Three Fates/Are You Ready Eddy ?/Jeremy Bender/Nutrocker) but why do some persist in the spurious fantasy that Genesis, Tull, Yes, Crimson and Floyd all consistently made albums where there were no weaker tracks to be seen anywhere ?

It's utter nonsense really.Pinch
Progfan1958 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2010 at 06:11
Agreed !  ELP really were on their game through Brain Salad Surgery, and back in the day they were number one on my chart !  The long wait ( at the time ) until Works 1 was excruciating, so upon it's release I really embraced it as an exiting change with it's variety of style and new sound. Though in hindsight it's obvious that they were actually running out of ideas and inspiration. Still, I've followed them since then, and now and again see glimpses of former glory in whatever the band or it's component players have produced.   Still, I wait for one grand, final conceptual prog masterpiece from them...perhaps it's my luxury to hang on to such an unlikely happening.
Steve.
Progfan1958
"Peace to you all"
"La paix est avec vous"
"Pax vobiscum"
"Al salaam a'alaykum"
"Vrede zij met u allen"
"Shalom aleichem"
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2010 at 06:13
I am one of  ELP fans. I dont want explain about my opinion. If you want talk about ELP you MUST listen to " Tarkus"  first. I think you MUST listen to ELP version and Jordan Rudess version  of Tarkus and compare these then you can find : Why ELP is one of prog legends.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2010 at 08:37
Originally posted by O666 O666 wrote:

I am one of  ELP fans. I dont want explain about my opinion. If you want talk about ELP you MUST listen to " Tarkus"  first. I think you MUST listen to ELP version and Jordan Rudess version  of Tarkus and compare these then you can find : Why ELP is one of prog legends.
Indeed Jordan Rudess has a lot to learn from Keith. One of those sad cases of a guy who has all the technique and more but fails to produce really good music. And I have to say, I like much of his work with DT and with Petrucci in Liquid Tension Experiment, but in general he is nowhere in terms of musical composition and sensitivity compared to King Keith.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2010 at 08:38

or hear LaBrie take a flamethrower to Tarkus (battlefield) as well.....    LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2010 at 09:08
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Indeed, I think 'Jimmy the Cheese' is captured for posterity massacring this anti-war paean of Tarkus on the ELP tribute album Encores, Legends & Paradox. He sounds like Glen Hughes after a 'south of the waist only' Brazilian to my ears.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2010 at 09:25
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Indeed, I think 'Jimmy the Cheese' is captured for posterity massacring this anti-war paean of Tarkus on the ELP tribute album Encores, Legends & Paradox. He sounds like Glen Hughes after a 'south of the waist only' Brazilian to my ears.

amen to that.....   I won't say it is lost in all the drivel about ELP's pretention.. armadillo tanks and jaw dropping skills but it is definitely underplayed.... is the fact that Greg Lake had one of best voices in all of rock.  Capable of touching your heart with the occasional ELP 'ballad' or getting mean and nasty when he breaks out the 'angry' Lake vocals on gems like Knife's Edge or Time and a Place.  For everything about the music...  and the instrumentalists...  the voice is one.. and often is the most up-front.. and Greg Lake was without a doubt one of the finest vocalists rock music ever saw.   One that many outside of the fishbowl of PA's recognize.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2010 at 09:31
Yep, although I'm not a massive Lake fan I do admit that his vocal texture on both King Crimson and ELP almost defines the genre for those who have have maybe only heard the radio friendly stuff. It also seems clear to me that without Greg's erm...'populist hook' that softened the technical maelstrom of Keith and Carl, in all probability ELP might have folded after just 2 albums ?
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2010 at 10:08
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Yep, although I'm not a massive Lake fan I do admit that his vocal texture on both King Crimson and ELP almost defines the genre for those who have have maybe only heard the radio friendly stuff. It also seems clear to me that without Greg's erm...'populist hook' that softened the technical maelstrom of Keith and Carl, in all probability ELP might have folded after just 2 albums ?

for all the bitchin about how 'short' ELP's creative lifespan was...  you are right... in reality it is amazing it lasted as long as it did. 

Ronnie Pilgrim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2010 at 10:33
I like Emerson, Lake and Palmer. Nice blend of vocals, guitars, keyboards and drums. A first-rate prog band by any standards. The first to do many of the things other prog bands are now doing. Pioneers. Showmen. Innovators. The hell with the critics. Angry

Edited by Ronnie Pilgrim - March 20 2010 at 10:34
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2010 at 13:06

Remark accepted Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>