Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhich is the best diet for long term use?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Poll Question: Which is the best diet for long term use?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [33.33%]
1 [33.33%]
1 [33.33%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 17:10
Originally posted by Mr ProgFreak Mr ProgFreak wrote:

Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

For long-term, whatever you want, as long and you exercise. I couldn't imagine simply taking soda, cheetos, and cocoa puffs out of my diet forever. It's not too hard to maintain weight, but these things have to be cut out or back drastically if you want to lose weight.

Matter of fact, it seems to me that I look and feel thinner after tons of soda sometimes. Maybe I just p*ss a lot more because of the caffeine. LOL /toomuchinformation

exercise + carbohydrates makes you hungry though. The typical recommendation is "eat less, exercise more" ... so people are semi starved and their metabolism torn between too little carbs and too little fat and then the "user" comes and decides to do strenuous exercise. No wonder that people eventually quit those "diets", or suffer stroke or heart attack. And when they do quit their body regains the weight not in order to compensate, but because of the carbs that were eaten all along the fat metabolism is even more out of balance.

/science

But that doesn't even address my point. If you're happy with your eating and lifestyle, then it's right for you. There is no such thing as a correct diet.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 17:59
Animals, plants, sheesh, eliminate the middle men and just eat dirt. LOL
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 18:01
I like how no one but Mike has voted in this poll yet. Big smile
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 18:14
Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

No wonder. I bet that 90% of the European members don't have a clue of what he's talking about. If he started by naming the aliments (meat, vegetables, milk products...), maybe he would have more participation.
It sounds... "scientifically cold". 
KoS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 19:16
Science isn't cold, just socially awkward.
Give him some time and he'll open up.
manofmystery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 19:41
High-Fat, High-Carb

Time always wins.
Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2010 at 02:11
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Could there be a low-fat, low-carb diet? That's the one that is the best Wink 

That would be a high-protein diet ... like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Protein-Power-High-Protein-Low-Carbohydrate-Health/dp/0553380788

In a nutshell they lower carbs by upping the proteins. But - as they write in one of the early chapters - of course you can't go out and buy one ounce of carbs, two ounces of protein and one ounce of fat. You'll buy food, which will contain any combination of the three. So what you basically do is try to replace high-carb food (stuff which essentially contains lots of carbs and some fat) with food that's lower in carbs, and higher in protein and/or fat. Which, for example, would be meat, eggs and dairy products.

So it's actually not that scientific at all - although the reasons for doing so are, and they explain them well in the book.Smile

Edited by Mr ProgFreak - March 23 2010 at 02:11
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2010 at 02:13
Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

It was the same in that religious poll a few months ago - I don't mind. I even thought about it yesterday and it occurred to me that most people are not likely to have just read a dozen books on dieting and nutrition, so I can't really expect them to find these topics remotely interesting. But maybe some of you are overweight, and when I've only sparked the interest in low-carb in one of you, then I'm happy.Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2010 at 02:14
Originally posted by manofmystery manofmystery wrote:

High-Fat, High-Carb

That would be the chocolate diet.Big smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2010 at 02:25
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

/science

But that doesn't even address my point. If you're happy with your eating and lifestyle, then it's right for you. There is no such thing as a correct diet.

Leaving science aside, I do think that there's such a thing as a correct diet. As you have said yourself, it's one that makes you happy - one that's right for you. Now, I'm obese. I'm not happy with that. I've come to the conclusion - for very good and scientifically sound reasons - that my diet (under which I developed obesity during the last ten years or so) caused it.

So if a change in diet can cure obesity (by removing the underlying cause), I think that it's extremely important for me to invest a little time in investigating all the diets that are out there. I'm not saying that we all should eat exactly the same (maybe you meant that by "correct diet"), but within low-carb there's a wide range of choices of what you could eat.

I think that there are three groups of people who should consider changing their diet:
  • Obese people
  • Undernourished (anorectic) people
  • People who were obese and lost weight on high-carb diets (with strenuous exercise) and thus are in a constant state of semi-starvation
I think that while some of these people might be able to live with their condition - but most might simply not know that there would be a relatively simple and straightforward path out of that condition.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2010 at 07:44
I've come to this alittle late, so apologies if this has already been said. I've known many people who have dieted over the years, and most all have one thing in common. They are all over weight.

Any diet that prohibits any one patricular type of food, or any diet that leaves you feeling hungry and depressed is going to fail. Jim suggests you eat what you like, just less of it, and I'm inclined to agree with this. A bit of what you fancy keeps you happy. A good balance of fats, carns and proteins is good for overall health, especially when in conjunction with an exercise program.

Establishing a good weight loss routine is hard. I do appreciate that, but it takes focus and commitment, and starving yourself is not the answer. Neither is cutting out carbs altogether. The 'Atkins' diet has repeatedly proved itself to be bad for general health, and ultimately unsuccessful, in keeping weight off, in the longer term.

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2010 at 09:58

I'm 1.80 meters tall, too - and last year my weight peaked at 118kg ... it's not as much, but comparable.  My target weight is 85kg ... and I've already lost 7kg in the last few weeks.

You say that you cut back sugar and it worked for you. If you also eat lots of carbohydrates (bread, rice, pasta, sweet fruits etc), keep in mind that in the end even the complex carbohydrates are converted to simple sugar (glucose and fructose) before they are absorbed into the bloodstream - the only difference is the speed at which it happens, but if you gorge on pasta, it can have a similar effect as a candy bar.

My advice would be to cut back further on the carbs and see how it goes ... it might save you the strenuous workout. One other interesting thing about workouts while you're eating fewer calories (but lots of carbs among them) is that the body starts to limit resources in other areas in order to accomodate the workout in combination with the low caloric intake. If my theory is correct - and many people smarter than me support it - then replacing more carbs with fat (like putting a bit more butter/cheese/meat on thinner slices of bread) can shift that equation ... your body will still burn fat reserves, but without the symptoms of starvation (exhaustion).

Thanks for the advice Mike, but I have a problem:

I have high blood preasure and tendency to go high on cholesterol,some months ago I had 230 (total)which wouldn't be so bad, but my good cholesterol was terribly llow (37).

So I started cutting sat fats, started eating avocado three times a week and taking a lot of olive oil, but no fat.

In the beach (once a week) I take one or two beers,

Of course I make 3 Kms jogging.

Iván

My normal diet is:not so hard
  1. Breakfast: 1 bread with ham or trans fat free margarine and coffee or tee with sugar substitute (I feel ok, not starving).
  2. Normal lunch made at home (lets say rice or spagetti, some meat that can be chicken, non grease pork, cow or fish), a dish of salad with lemmon and olive oil
  3. Dinner: Exactly as breakfast plus one fruit
  4. Since I started to run (6 months) the doictor ordered one 60 Gms bar of cocolate (Non sat fat) for energy.
  5. Tea during the day with saccarine or sugar sunbstute

I cut almost completely junk food.

It's working, my cholesterol is around 200 but even better, my HDL has rised 20 points...My glucose is excellent,. 108, two hours after eating, and 79 before breakfast

Iván

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2010 at 10:06
I'm taking blood pressure meds, can I just eat salt? LOL
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2010 at 11:35
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

I'm 1.80 meters tall, too - and last year my weight peaked at 118kg ... it's not as much, but comparable.  My target weight is 85kg ... and I've already lost 7kg in the last few weeks.

You say that you cut back sugar and it worked for you. If you also eat lots of carbohydrates (bread, rice, pasta, sweet fruits etc), keep in mind that in the end even the complex carbohydrates are converted to simple sugar (glucose and fructose) before they are absorbed into the bloodstream - the only difference is the speed at which it happens, but if you gorge on pasta, it can have a similar effect as a candy bar.

My advice would be to cut back further on the carbs and see how it goes ... it might save you the strenuous workout. One other interesting thing about workouts while you're eating fewer calories (but lots of carbs among them) is that the body starts to limit resources in other areas in order to accomodate the workout in combination with the low caloric intake. If my theory is correct - and many people smarter than me support it - then replacing more carbs with fat (like putting a bit more butter/cheese/meat on thinner slices of bread) can shift that equation ... your body will still burn fat reserves, but without the symptoms of starvation (exhaustion).

Thanks for the advice Mike, but I have a problem:

I have high blood preasure and tendency to go high on cholesterol,some months ago I had 230 (total)which wouldn't be so bad, but my good cholesterol was terribly llow (37).

So I started cutting sat fats, started eating avocado three times a week and taking a lot of olive oil, but no fat.

In the beach (once a week) I take one or two beers,

Of course I make 3 Kms jogging.

Iván

My normal diet is:not so hard
  1. Breakfast: 1 bread with ham or trans fat free margarine and coffee or tee with sugar substitute (I feel ok, not starving).
  2. Normal lunch made at home (lets say rice or spagetti, some meat that can be chicken, non grease pork, cow or fish), a dish of salad with lemmon and olive oil
  3. Dinner: Exactly as breakfast plus one fruit
  4. Since I started to run (6 months) the doictor ordered one 60 Gms bar of cocolate (Non sat fat) for energy.
  5. Tea during the day with saccarine or sugar sunbstute

I cut almost completely junk food.

It's working, my cholesterol is around 200 but even better, my HDL has rised 20 points...My glucose is excellent,. 108, two hours after eating, and 79 before breakfast

Iván

Thanks for the insights!

My comment would be: Cut the carbs still further and lose your fear of saturated fat - or cholesterol. The key to improve your fat metabolism is not to eat less fat, but to reduce carbohydrates. Looking at your diet, I would say that the chocolate is very bad - it doesn't contain any protein, and is half fat, half sugar. I've now been living on a carb free diet for over a week, and I'll be going to the gym later to do heavy weight lifting - I can tell you from first hand experience that you don't need sugar in order to give you energy for strenuous exercise.

I'm currently reading about the Protein Power diet ... it essentially replaces carbs with protein, and also increases fat a little because most foods that are high in protein also contain fat to some degree. But I agree with the logic 100%. Especially in the induction phase of low carb diet your body needs much protein, because for a while it needs to convert protein into glucose to power the brain and other organs which cannot burn fat directly. But after a few weeks (it takes longer the older you are) the brain can adjust to burn fats by way of ketones which are created from fat by the liver. This is also why you usually don't fall into a coma when you don't eat anything for a few days ... the Eskimos used to do that for the better part of the year (don't eat carbs) and they're fine, and not overweight, and neither obese nor diabetic, even with a diet that's more than 70% fat.

I know it's not likely that you'll do as I do - but for example, you could replace the chocolate with peanuts, or replace the fruit after dinner with cheese. This will all lower carbs, and raise protein and fat, and I'm very sure that your body will thank you for it.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2010 at 11:39
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I'm taking blood pressure meds, can I just eat salt? LOL

Low-Carb and the Protein Power diet (which I'm currently reading about) can both reduce blood pressure. In the Protein Power book (written by medical doctors who run a successful clinic by the way) they explicitely warn people who take blood pressure meds that they should only begin the diet under supervision, because as they go along their medication needs to be adjusted or discontinued.

http://www.proteinpower.com

Smile

Edited by Mr ProgFreak - March 23 2010 at 12:06
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2010 at 11:48
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I've come to this alittle late, so apologies if this has already been said. I've known many people who have dieted over the years, and most all have one thing in common. They are all over weight.

Any diet that prohibits any one patricular type of food, or any diet that leaves you feeling hungry and depressed is going to fail. Jim suggests you eat what you like, just less of it, and I'm inclined to agree with this. A bit of what you fancy keeps you happy. A good balance of fats, carns and proteins is good for overall health, especially when in conjunction with an exercise program.

I've tried just eating less, combined with exercise ... trust me, it did not work. The general response by the "just eat less" fraction is usually "well, you must have had low willpower".

I maintain: Some foods make you more fat than others, and it's not fat. The last 50 years prove that, for the US but also for other Western countries. We reduced fat, but we got fatter. And guess what: We're eating more carbs.

Establishing a good weight loss routine is hard. I do appreciate that, but it takes focus and commitment, and starving yourself is not the answer. Neither is cutting out carbs altogether. The 'Atkins' diet has repeatedly proved itself to be bad for general health, and ultimately unsuccessful, in keeping weight off, in the longer term.

Do you have any evidence for the claim that low-carb is bad for general health, and unsuccessful? As far as keeping weight off in the longer term is concerned, I'm sure that anyone who is overweight knows that conventional diets are all unsuccessful. And even if you have the "willpower", you will constantly feel hungry.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2010 at 12:12
Can't speak for anyone else, but for me the key was more exercise, more fruits, but less sugar (no regular sodas, candy only once a week - if that). Apart from that, I haven't really changed anything. As far as food goes, I still eat anything I want, as much as I want, but even so, I managed to lose ~ 19 kgs during the last year. 

Hungriness hasn't been an issue for me, but I'm well aware of the fact that the human body doesn't quite work the same way for everyone.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2010 at 12:20
^ it also depends on many factors. Some people have peculiar metabolisms, for example I know someone who can eat all the sugar he wants, but he's always lean. Such freak occurrences aside, in your case I would probably be interested in what you really eat (besides fruits), how old you are, if you are obese or were obese when you changed the diet etc..

BTW:  I do think that the human body works nearly the same for all of us (except the noted freak occurrences) as far as the metabolism of the basic nutrients are concerned. However, some factors can slightly alter the odds. For example, caffeine seems to raise insulin in some people. I've always been a fan of diet coke and I drink lots of coffee, so for all I know that might have contributed to my problem, while it might have had no effect on some other people.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2010 at 12:33

I've tried just eating less, combined with exercise ... trust me, it did not work. The general response by the "just eat less" fraction is usually "well, you must have had low willpower".I maintain: Some foods make you more fat than others, and it's not fat. The last 50 years prove that, for the US but also for other Western countries. We reduced fat, but we got fatter. And guess what: We're eating more carbs.

Do you have any evidence for the claim that low-carb is bad for general health, and unsuccessful? As far as keeping weight off in the longer term is concerned, I'm sure that anyone who is overweight knows that conventional diets are all unsuccessful. And even if you have the "willpower", you will constantly feel hungry.

Reffering specifically to the Atkins diet, known as a Ketogenic diet, numerous official health care and disease research bodies have urged caution. Notably Cancer Research UK, and similar organisations in the US, have warned against high protein/fat diets, where carbs intake is minimal. In the short term weight is lost very quickly. This is chiefly down through body water loss. In the longer term, the body goes into a state of Ketosis ( a semi fasting state). As it's not getting it's energy from carbs, it starts to burn muscle mass instead of fat. Also, because the diet prohibits most fruit, and a lot of veg, the person misses out on many vital nutrients and antioxidant vitamins, which cant be sourced through vitamin supplements, despite what the the supplement industry may lead you to believe. This can lead to an increased risk of gastro-intestinal and colorectal cancers. Low carb diets can, apparently lead to liver problems, but I cant remember exactly why that is.

So, in the short term, you will lose weight quickly with Atkins, but it is not a diet that should be sustained, by all accounts. Heart research charities have warned that it can cause damage to the heart, and raise cholestrol to dangerous levels too. The fats in the diet can often not be burned off effectively through exercise, because people on this diet often dont have sufficient energy to 'work out' because they haven't consumed sufficient carbs to provide that energy.

I've known two people, in middle age, who tried Atkins. Both complained of frequently feeling nauseous and weak, and both were advised against it by their doctors.

Edited by Blacksword - March 23 2010 at 12:40
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2010 at 12:37
^ I've a few people who tried Atkins. In all cases they lost weight too quickly, resulting in saggy wrinkled skin and a bony, withered appearance. It certainly doesn't look healthy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>