Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs there any love for the Residents on here?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2010 at 15:14
Hey eyeball buddies, get out there and show your love by voting for the Rez on the big poll that's a-happening now: RIO/Avant-garde part 3.  Otherwise Henry Cow wins by a wide mile, and while I love Hank Heifer, they just ain't the Residents.
The damage that we do is just so powerfully strong we call it love

The damage that we do just goes on and on and on but not long enough.

--Robyn Hitchcock
shockedjazz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2010 at 11:38
Originally posted by classicprogsovereign classicprogsovereign wrote:

I just finished listening to Third Reich Rock n' Roll, it's brilliant!
LOLClapClapClap
I love the album, as i said in other thread after this album i dont know if there was any justification at all for punk movement! All the criticism all the fun all the spooky but real associations! One year after!! And much more interesting!!
boo boo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2010 at 11:58

They are fantastic.

Commercial Album is my favorite, but Duck Stab/Buster & Glen is close. Third Reich n' Roll is great too.
Schizoid-Man View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2010 at 18:12
For me the absolute peak in "scary prog" has to be Not Available. It is superb and completely unique. Too many people are short sighted when it comes to the residents, they don't see that they are innovators. Third Reich 'n Roll is also excellent, especially the final two Beatles tracks.
CrazyFace View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2010 at 16:03
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1981705172/a-documentary-about-the-residents
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2012 at 07:55
Hey guys, any hardcore residents fans still here? I just added something new from them to PA ("Coochie Brake") but I could use some help in classifing their material, I don't understand if some of their stuff is EP's, or promos, or full studio albums or anything. I was kind of going through discogs as a source so here are some of the bigger stuff I'd like to put somewhere but I'm not sure of category.

I Murdered Mommy! (2004) - http://www.discogs.com/Residents-I-Murdered-Mommy/release/622412
I think it's a soundtrack for something.

Night Of The Hunters (2007) - http://www.discogs.com/Residents-Night-Of-The-Hunters/release/996847
This one has the same story like Not Available, supposedly lost album found again and then released but only in 1000 copies.

Hades (2009) - http://www.discogs.com/Residents-The-Rivers-Of-Hades/master/391186

Chucks's Ghost Music (2011) - http://www.discogs.com/Residents-Chucks-Ghost-Music/master/337023

Also to anyone reading this who is curious in the band, I recommend "Demons Dance Alone" for starters.

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2012 at 09:37
For recent Residents I'd go with Animal Lover which I got when it was new and kind of rekindled my interest. Led me back to Demons and forward to Tweedles.  They kind of lost me again with The Bunny Boy.  LOL
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2012 at 14:06
I've been a fan for a long time, but I've only really been vigilant about following their stuff through the 80s.  I've heard the occasional album since "God in 3 Persons", but not much.  I briefly signed back on as of "Wormwood", but as impressive as the concept was, I didn't really like the music all that much. I went to see them on the Demons Dance Alone tour, but for some reason haven't gotten around to getting the album.  I've heard such great things about more recent albums (esp Animal Lover) that I'm sure I'll get that one soon. 

My Rezzies Top 5:

Meet the Residents
God in Three Persons
Not Available
Fingerprince
Mark of the Mole

honorable mention: Baby Sex (the second half is crazy/cool)

Don't really like Commercial Album.  The idea behind it is funny, but I think most of the 40 songs are pretty dull.  They all follow the same pattern of intro-verse-stop, and they all sound very similar to each other. It gets really boring after a while.

Edited by HolyMoly - February 15 2012 at 14:20
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
questionsneverknown View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2012 at 14:59
Glad to see that someone has added some of the recent material.  I was doing that for a period, then life took over.  As you say, some of these releases get hard to classify.  Most of the ones you have listed still count as regular LPs/CDs, but it helps to note that some--like I Murdered Mommy and Coochie Brake--are essentially fan-club releases.  Other stuff--like the hundreds of Talking Light performances--get harder to classify, since they've only been released as downloads.  Has PA developed a model for adding download-only releases?

Thanks again for carrying on the work.

--Robyn Hitchcock
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2012 at 17:25
See, that's the thing, I don't know what fan club release means Confused Is that the same like that 12 Days of Brumalia which was only downloadable to fans for free or something? It was promotional at the time off course but since then I saw it getting sold like any other LP so I don't think it would be mistake to put them under albums, they're gonna get released eventually I guess. I'm gonna put those 4 tomorrow then cause even if they were limited they had to be paid for so that makes it a legit release (download only releases are just fine on PA, I checked).

Older stuff has plenty of reviews, what do you think about this new stuff, there are not many reviews here, gonna fix that soon. I think "The Ughs!" were interesting, and with "Lonely Teenager" and "Coochie Brake" it seems like after "Bunny Boy" their started to go more instrumental again,reminding of early stuff like "Fingerprince" with some "Eskimo" feeling as well, but more sophisticated for this age. It's gonna be interesting to see where they go in the next decade, all the story/concept/dialogue/soundtrack stuff was getting a bit tiresome.

Here is how Coochie sounds like, lyrics are mostly in spanish and singer Randy isn't on this album (weird how they put their names out: Randy, Chuck, Bob, and Carlos ).

Edited by historian9 - February 15 2012 at 17:32
questionsneverknown View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2012 at 16:44
Yeah, it's kind of hard to know how to label some of this stuff.  Looking back, I see that when I added some of the recent discs like Dollar General I put them under the label "Singles/EPs/Fan Club," and then under the description of the disc I noted that it was a limited edition made available through Ralph America.  I think my reasoning was that if it's a limited numbered item--literally numbered--then that probably counts as "fan club."  Something like The Ughs, though, was released generally via MVD, so that should be listed as an official album.  I never added any of the download-only material because I just didn't know what to do.

As a fanatic, I tend to like it all--which ultimately may not be fair (if you know what I mean).  If I'm honest with myself, though, I haven't listened to the two Coochie Brake CDs after the first time since I got them through the e-Bay auction.  Talking Light was a great tour, but the onslaught of instrumental material over the past few years--all of which I have--tends to get a bit "same-y" in my mind.   That's if I'm being honest. 

--Robyn Hitchcock
Lord Jagged View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2012 at 19:02
They are certainly interesting. But I must confess to finding the idea of The Residents more pleasing than the musical reality. Wink
Dead Souls In The Rear View Mirror Hitch A Ride For A While..
Neroon001 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 17:10
Just got the animal lovers  cd yesterday thought it's about time that I listen to them
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2012 at 08:46
Just wanted to warn fans here that one of the residents, Chuck, or Charles Bobuck is gonna be releasing a solo album this week (should have been today but it got delayed a bit) and I for one am pretty interested in hearing this. He even has a rym page already http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/charles_bobuck . Sounds like a serious release, hope it won't turn out as an ambiental soundtrack for a show or something like that.

Also, Randy has a nice tumblr with stories and some residents history and pictures, like this one with their first studio in 1971.

hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2012 at 10:02
The Commercial Album is my favorite, but I love their Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue too.

The_Jester View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2012 at 19:10
< ="" ="text/" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0"> They're incredible. They mix horror with comedy with an extreme sense of weirdness! Everything from the music to the lyrics is incredible with them!
La victoire est éphémère mais la gloire est éternelle!

- Napoléon Bonaparte
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2012 at 02:55
Codgers On The Moon website is now online and it has excerpts from the album and various other recordings Chuck made, whole thing is a very interesting read and I recommend it. Music itself is mostly instrumental electronic of sorts.
Eric Mallory View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2012 at 06:46
They must be criminally insane. Dig them badly!!!
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2012 at 07:43
My favorite so far of what I have heard, and no doubt it's a huge discography, is Animal Lover.  
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2012 at 12:42
Becoming a Residents completist must be exhausting, and potentially dangerous for one's mental wellbeing. Much as I love them I doubt I shall ever get round to hearing everything they've put out, even if I live for another 60 years.

I recently stumbled across a beautiful double mini-CD digipack release of Duck Stab/Buster and Glen in a second hand bookshop for the very reasonable price of £3.60. Been annoying the neighbours with it all week.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>