Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs there any love for the Residents on here?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2012 at 15:35
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Well, none of us reccomends Mark of the Mole for starters. And Residents are better than Zappa at being an anti band making anti-music. But I have a feeling they're not for you.

I don't like the idea of anti-music. That's just absurd to me. The idea of making fun of music seems only approach to guys like Weird Al Yankovic who I suppose are apart of the same kind of music category. Whatever that could be.

By the way, The Mark of the Mole was suggested to me by a hardcore progressive rock friend of mine, but what he didn't realize is that I'm really into Symphonic Prog. Music, for me, is a serious thing, but I do like the occasional humorous musical reference and so on. I was just curious is there anything musically substantial in The Residents' large discography. Specifially, an album that relies on good musicianship and that does take itself seriously.

The Residents are not merely a joke band, though there's plenty of humour and playfulness in a lot of what they do. Nor are they simply relying on poor musicianship as a means of sounding weird. Having said all that, it sounds like The Residents are not really for you. I wouldn't worry about it. If you can listen to albums like Eskimo, Not Available, The Commercial Album and Duck Stab/Buster and Glen without finding any merit in them then I'd say write them off and look for your kicks elsewhere.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2012 at 15:37

I was just curious is there anything musically substantial in The Residents' large discography. Specifially, an album that relies on good musicianship and that does take itself seriously.
Nope, I doubt you'll find any of those.  That was pretty much my advice at the top of the last page. LOL (that's the short answer; though I find a lot of their work serious and/or well executed musically)

It's not unusual at all, btw, to not enjoy the Residents, even among prog fans.  In fact, I don't think they're prog at all.  Somehow, they're on this site, and since I like em a lot, I've submitted reviews, but I would not necessarily recommend them to a prog fan in general.

Edited by HolyMoly - August 07 2012 at 15:38
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2012 at 16:21
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I was just curious is there anything musically substantial in The Residents' large discography. Specifially, an album that relies on good musicianship and that does take itself seriously.
Nope, I doubt you'll find any of those.  That was pretty much my advice at the top of the last page. LOL (that's the short answer; though I find a lot of their work serious and/or well executed musically)

It's not unusual at all, btw, to not enjoy the Residents, even among prog fans.  In fact, I don't think they're prog at all.  Somehow, they're on this site, and since I like em a lot, I've submitted reviews, but I would not necessarily recommend them to a prog fan in general.

What would you call The Residents' music then? Obviously, sometimes bands just defy categorization, but they have to fall under something. But is there any albums that uses voices that aren't processed through some kind of detuner or phaser?
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2012 at 18:25

Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

What would you call The Residents' music then? Obviously, sometimes bands just defy categorization, but they have to fall under something. But is there any albums that uses voices that aren't processed through some kind of detuner or phaser?
I'd call it avant garde and leave it at that.  But still their more recent albums are much more conventional, musically speaking, and have male and female voices in more or less normal registers.  Even then, though, it's much more about the concept and the overall presentation than the musical complexity per se.  I confess I haven't gotten into these albums as much, but I saw the "Demons Dance Alone" stage show, and it was quite moving, sad, and musically, er, sensitive I guess.

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2012 at 18:37
Quote I'd call it avant garde and leave it at that.  But still their more recent albums are much more conventional, musically speaking, and have male and female voices in more or less normal registers.  Even then, though, it's much more about the concept and the overall presentation than the musical complexity per se.  I confess I haven't gotten into these albums as much, but I saw the "Demons Dance Alone" stage show, and it was quite moving, sad, and musically, er, sensitive I guess.

Avant-garde? Hmmm...I should steer clear of it then. Big smile I'm not stranger to avant-garde works as I've worked on a work titled The Bizzaro Project which is an hour-long piece which consists of the use a looping device made by Lexicon called The Vortex. The work itself was chaotic, but there were several occasions in the piece where everything came together and it sounded like an orchestra. Amazing what technology can do. Smile

Edited by Mirror Image - August 07 2012 at 18:38
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2012 at 19:10
I wasn't big on the residents until I got Eskimo.  It just fit my tastes better than other albums by The Residents.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2012 at 19:47
I would call them post-punk (even though their early albums are pre-punk) because I associate them with bands like Pere Ubu and the Red Krayola. Avant garde certainly fits as well.

Edited by thellama73 - August 07 2012 at 19:47
Withnail View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2012 at 06:32
Gosh yes!  I love the Residents and the rest of the stuff coming out of Ralph Records. Snakefinger, Fred Frith etc.  I saw them at the Saddlers Wells theatre in London in the mid to late 80s and a saw Fred Frith in a pub in Leeds once.  There were about 8 people there!
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2012 at 07:49
Originally posted by Rocktopus Rocktopus wrote:

Originally posted by Syzygy Syzygy wrote:

I love pretty much everything up to the Mole trilogy. There's been plenty of good stuff since then, but somehow they no longer sounded quite so surprising or original. Duck Stab/Buster and Glen is probably the peak for me.

Huh. I got nothing to add here.

Ok. They might be my absolute alltime favorite band.

Third Reich 'n Roll
is actually my least favorite from their classic era (up to about  1983/84). It's still a solid threeandahalf/fourstar, though.

I made a personal Residents top 15 over at RYM. Its probably the only band I could have made one for:

Duck Stab / Buster &amp;amp; Glen

The Residents

Duck Stab / Buster & Glen (1978)

Meet the Residents

The Residents

Meet the Residents (1974)

Mark of the Mole

The Residents

Mark of the Mole (1981)

Commercial Album

The Residents

Commercial Album (1980)

Eskimo

The Residents

Eskimo (1979)

The Tunes of Two Cities

The Residents

The Tunes of Two Cities (1982)

Intermission

The Residents

Intermission (1982) [EP]

Fingerprince

The Residents

Fingerprince (1977)

Whatever Happened to Vileness Fats?

The Residents

Whatever Happened to Vileness Fats? (1984)

Not Available

The Residents

Not Available (1978)

Title in Limbo

The Residents & Renaldo & The Loaf

Title in Limbo (1983)

Santa Dog

The Residents

Santa Dog (1972) [Single]

Animal Lover

The Residents

Animal Lover (2005)

Diskomo / Goosebump

The Residents

Diskomo / Goosebump (1980) [EP]

The Third Reich n Roll

The Residents

The Third Reich 'n Roll (1976)

Thats a great list - i was going through them album by album and reviewing them and finally had to stop as there are too many albums but they never fail to surprise me or entertain in their own quirky way. Commercial Album is incredible and I loved Eskimo and Meet the Residents but its scary. 

My review and ratings are

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2013 at 07:54
http://clatl.com/atlanta/the-residents-in-the-eye-of-the-beholder/Content?oid=7427974

The Residents: In the eye of the beholder 

How avant-garde rock icon the Residents changed pop music, and singer Molly Harvey's life, forever

Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2013 at 08:27
Yikes, that's right, the Residents are playing the Variety Playhouse on Feb 5th.  Wonder if there are any tickets left.  

-Kehlog Albran
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2013 at 08:57
I've been unemployed since April, so it's moot for me.  That situation may change in 10 days.  Missed some good shows recently, too.  Oh well.  I'd love to see Molly Harvey,  I had some Residents on video and one used copy of Third Reich & Roll, but Have A Bad Day really got my attention.

Edited by Slartibartfast - February 02 2013 at 09:03
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2013 at 09:25
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

That situation may change in 10 days.  
I hope it does!  Best of luck to you. 

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2013 at 02:56
Residents Commercial DVD is killer!

Some of these clips I can never forget - amazing music and classic surreal imagery and all about a minute in length

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - February 05 2013 at 02:59
Zoobrother View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2013 at 02:44
I'm not liking that everyone is ripping the new Residents stuff. I am a fan of this band to say the least, and I have listened to nearly every one of their albums, and this would be my top 7:

1. Not Available
2. Demons Dance Alone (2002) - this album is underappreciated
3. Stars and Hank Forever (1986)
4. Duck Stab/Buster Glen
5. God in Three Persons (1988)
6. Third Reich 'n Roll
7. Pollex Christi (1998)
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2013 at 03:51
I first saw The Residents (on TV) in 1980, then saw them live in 1986 (with Snakefinger) & they were utterly incredible.  I had all the albums, and a few boots - if that Radio Special was an official album it'd be my top favourite -  But then everyone else seemed to catch up with them, soundwise, and after "God In Three Persons" I stopped listening to them.

My top 5:
1. Radio Special (& if it's not allowed then replace it with Residue)
2. Third Reich n Roll
3. Not Available
4. Meet The Residents
5. Fingerprince

rotten hound of the burnie crew
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2013 at 04:45
Gotta love this recent concert too

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2013 at 04:49
I am not a massive fan of all of Residents albums but I like going through them sometimes

Heres what I heard today - no kidding!

I had The Residents marathon and reviewed em all it was a weird experience i can tell you. Heres what I heard.

Thats it for me. Residents all day while I sat around reading.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234