Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBo Hansson

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bo Hansson
    Posted: March 23 2010 at 02:23
I just bought Bo Hansson's 'Music inspired by Lord of the Rings' as a legal MP3 download from a reputable website. I noticed that the transitions from 'Lothlorien' to 'Shadowfax', and from 'Shadowfax' to 'The Horns of Rohan' are very sudden. Does anyone know if this is intentional, or have I got a bad download? Thanks.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2010 at 02:31
no bad download, those abrupt changes are on my copy of the OneWay Records CD .. they sound like edits, less likely to be changes live in the studio

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2010 at 06:50
I hadn't noticed that, but then I've only got a CD copy of the album anyway.  On a side note, One Way deserves a big thumbs up for releasing albums I wouldn't have expected to see the light of CD.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Alberto Muņoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2010 at 10:25
BTW on a side note i read sometime ago that Bo Hansson was i a really bad state.

I don't know if this were true.

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2010 at 16:39
and no Thank You from a guy who seems to think we're an online answer service   Angry  Smile

ColinHennig View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2010 at 12:49
Atavachron and others. Thank you all for your responses to my posting on Bo Hansson (and sorry for being a bit tardy in expressing my thanks!).   
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2010 at 13:46
Hi,

I just happened to get "Magician's Hat" and the music in it, is probably closer to what we call "prog" than anything else, however, it does have a lot more "jazz" tinged material in it than some "prog" folks like to hear.

It is very nice, but I did have the feeling that some of the musical changes ... were just that ... and the flow/feeling of it all came kinda broken for me, like I wanted to hear more of that, but the progression of that part is ... something else that doesn't appear related to the previous piece, at least in a compositional and historical musical sense.

The sad thing, is that he did open for a whole bunch of Jimi Hendrix concerts, and there are tapes of him playing with him, and for some weird oddball reason I almost think that it would be a good combination ... sadly his estate will never release it because it is not "blues" or some other conventional sounding anything, specially at a time when Jimi was just about playing anything, anywhere ... and to me, it was pretty obvious that a lot of his talent and abilities came from having heard and seen a lot of different musics out there during his travels and wanting to fool around with them.

Bo Hansson, in my book is not a "biggie" in the sense that Vangelis or Riuichi Sakamoto or a Kitaro, or the likes, but he deserves some credit for what he did at the time, which was really not heard much anywhere, and I keep hearing wisps of John Mayall with an organ, and just jazzier, not so "blues" (or any other silly description!) oriented.

I have to re-listen to the other albums before I add more on this, but this is good stuff. Not great. But very good, and you pop it into the middle of something or other on a radio show, and everyone will go ... who was that?
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2010 at 07:14
Lord of the rings was recorded on a 8-track tape recorder in Bo's home on a small island out of Stockholm. I have read the story on the cover of my vinyl copy of the album. Recorded, mixed and edited at home. The legend says that Jimi Hendrix plays uncredited.
It's not a bad download. The transition is sudden, but on the vinyl there's no gap between the tracks so it doesn't sound bad. What about Mike Oldfield's transitions in his older albums?
ColinHennig View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2010 at 07:50
octopus-4. Thanks for the info about the vinyl version. I did, in fact, briefly own LOTR on yinyl in the mid 1970s, but it was scratched and I took it back to the shop. They offered to order in another copy but I opted to spend the refund on something by Slade instead (hey, I was very young!).

I know what you mean about merging from one track to the next, which can be very effective to give an album the "suite" effect.

Incidentally, I had also heard Bo Hansson was not a well man. In the off chance he may read this, your music still brings a great deal of joy to many people, Bo.

Now I'm off to search out a copy of Magicians Hat!
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2010 at 02:02
Slade were not so bad if you don't look at their faces...Smile
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2010 at 02:58
Bo Hansson was and still is a genius. He must be at the forefront as one of Sweden's finest exports. He is still alive although less active. Mind you unless you are Mick Jagger or Keith Richards most people start slowing down in their 60's.

Highly underrated and the vinyl of LOTR is freeflowing and intentional, I am sure digital legal downloads may have some disruption though

Magician's Hat - jazz tinged for sure, Attic Thoughts - a masterpiece, Watership Down- beautiful stuff

He has done some later collaboration with Erik Malmberg also of Sweden. Check PA for more info as well as Hansson and Karlsson - aka Jimi Hendrix era
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
XunknownX View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2010 at 19:31

If anyone are going to buy Bo Hansson, I suggest you go for the real stuff with the original swedish titles and artwork!

Edited by XunknownX - April 17 2010 at 19:36
AstralliS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2010 at 05:46
Prog Sphere just completed an article concerning Bo Hansson's work (and life), as well as the artists/bands/albums that have been influenced by this truly prog legend. Find out more of Bosse's solo work, his collaboration with drummer Janne Karlsson and the artists/bands that inherited and discourse Bo Hansson's work, on http://prog-sphere.blogspot.com/2010/05/bo-hansson-retrospective-with-eyes-on.html

R.I.P. Bo Hansson

Edited by AstralliS - May 11 2010 at 05:47
Rottenhat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2010 at 11:53
Oh, I didn't know Bo Hasson is dead. That's really sad. I should read the news more often I guess.

He will surely be missed.

In November 2008  Pekka Pohjola died, bass player in the Finnish Prog band Wigwam, and after that a  good solo carieer. I mention him because some of his early solo works was quite similar to some of Bo Hansson's.

R.I.P Bo Hansson and Pekka Pohjola.

Rottenhat

Language is a virus from outer space.

-William S. Burroughs
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2010 at 10:37
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Lord of the rings was recorded on a 8-track tape recorder in Bo's home on a small island out of Stockholm. I have read the story on the cover of my vinyl copy of the album. Recorded, mixed and edited at home. The legend says that Jimi Hendrix plays uncredited.
It's not a bad download. The transition is sudden, but on the vinyl there's no gap between the tracks so it doesn't sound bad. What about Mike Oldfield's transitions in his older albums?

This is news to me. I have heard nothing of this legend. I have the first 3 Bo Hansson titles and enjoy them greatly. But was he the same Bo Hansson that wrote "Tax Free" for Jimi Hendrix? If so, then maybe there is some truth to all of this. This is truly bizzare to think about. He would have been perfect for Hendrix to work with. He was atmospheric.

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2010 at 11:38
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

This is news to me. I have heard nothing of this legend. I have the first 3 Bo Hansson titles and enjoy them greatly. But was he the same Bo Hansson that wrote "Tax Free" for Jimi Hendrix? If so, then maybe there is some truth to all of this. This is truly bizzare to think about. He would have been perfect for Hendrix to work with. He was atmospheric.

My copy of lord of the rings is a "dotted" one. Many years ago the majors were used to send copies to Radios and magazines with the cover "dotted" with "not for sale". This story is printed on the back cover. Of course I don't know if it's true and my memory may fail as I have left my vinyls in a garage ages ago. As soon as I'll have the opportunity to go to that garage I'll give it a look.  However I can't have heard the story about Hendrix and Bo's 8-track recorder from any other source.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2010 at 11:40
From wikipedia:

Hansson and Karlsson immediately hit it off and were signed by Polydor, playing up-tempo Hammond organ based music and releasing three albums between 1967 and 1969. They became immensely popular in their home country and Europe, and even reached the ear of Jimi Hendrix, who took time out from his tour to jam with the duo, along with George Clemons on drums and Georg Wadenius on guitar, at the Klub Filips in Stockholm in late 1967. Hendrix went on to record a Hansson song, "Tax Free".
 Post Reply Post Reply