Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Purple (symphonic prog/crossover prog) UK
    Posted: March 26 2010 at 10:07

Project Name: Purple

Nationality: UK

Genre: Symphonic prog? I find it hard to categorise, I am too close to it!  Long instrumental tracks contantly changing like Tubular Bells, melodic and experimental, sometimes soundscapes like Shine On You Crazy Diamond... you tell me!

Personnel: Dan Hodgson (44) - everything (at the moment). 

Status: two self-produced albums, all available for free currently at last.fm  (http://www.last.fm/music/Purple+%28Dan+Hodgson%29 ). At the moment the intention is to continue on a free + voluntary donations basis.  Just about to start work on album 3.

Blog (which will focus on creation of 3rd album): http://purplemusicblog.blogspot.com/

Album 1: "11 Bells"  1 track (60:00) "11 Bells"
Album 2 "Under A Binary Tree"
  track 1 "The Ebony Queen" (32:00)
  track 2 "The Ivory Tower" (32:00)

please listen, please comment
DocDan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2010 at 17:33

Thanks to the slowly growing number of people who have read the post :) 

I'm sure everybody who posts with a budding band or project feels like this - it can feel a bit like a black hole out there.  I have no way of knowing if people are getting to the music from here (but i know a steady, small dribble of people are finding their way to it from somewhere).

It would mean a lot to me if anyone could be kind enough to post a comment or two. I resolve to do my bit and do likewise for others

Cheers

DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2010 at 18:00
Welcome DocDan! Smile

I'm gonna check UK Purple people and post my impression soon (sadly I'll be a bit busy with my duty and conferences this weekend ... ). Thanks much!
VanVanVan View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2010 at 18:59
Will download and get back to you as soon as I have a chance to listen. I always enjoy hearing independent progressive artists. Smile
"The meaning of life is to give life meaning."-Arjen Lucassen
VanVanVan View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2010 at 22:34
Alright, I listened to 11 Bells and I have to say that I'm very impressed. As a sometimes composer I have trouble writing instrumental music that stays interesting longer than 4-5 minutes, and you did it for 60. Excellent music, I enjoyed very much. Will definitely listen to your other album before too long!
"The meaning of life is to give life meaning."-Arjen Lucassen
DocDan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2010 at 16:16

Thanks for your positive comments, great to hear you enjoyed it :) Especially good to hear that I managed to make a 1hr instrumental interesting - that was definitely a core aim.

If you have a chance to try Under A Binary Tree I'd love your comments on that too. 

warrplayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2010 at 17:52
There is a lot to like here. On both albums. Some parts are really killer. My only real criticism is that the material seems to suffer from one man band syndrome. The composition definitely seems to outpace the playing ability in many places. You have a great lead tone going, but what it makes me want to hear is someone a bit more accomplished doing the playing. That said, many of the orchestral parts are true works of beauty. I think if you could hook up with the right collaborators you could put out some grade A top notch stuff. 
DocDan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2010 at 07:23

Thanks for your great comments Warrplayer, having listened casually to the Mirror People stuff it's obvious that you are no mean musician yourself.  It means a lot to have your positive comments.

The negatives you point to are absolutely fair, and yes I do feel at times that my ambition overreaches my abilities. I do have a competing ambition to make the best music I can within the limitiations I have, favouring listening pleasure over temptations to show off technical ability. I hope that I'm getting better at playing skills, at patience with takes, at creative editing to realise what I'm after and at creating quality music within my limits. Obviously sometimes the two right slow notes played right are more effective than the 30 notes played fast.

But sometimes I do wish I could shred with the best. Also the idea of collaborations is appealing.

I'll return the favour and comment on Mirror People once I have had chance for a less casual listen

Cheers  :)

The purple music project is an instrumental prog rock project.
http://www.purplemusic.org

Dan
Guzzman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2010 at 11:05
Hi Dan,

just a quick word from me. I downloaded "11 Bells" and am currently still listening to it. I very much enjoy what I hear!

There are maybe one or two parts I didn't like as much as the rest (especially the piano solo around 15'20''), but that doesn't spoil the thing as a whole. What I like about instrumental music is (and please don't take that badly) that you can listen to it while doing something else like reading or (as I did today) writing something. "11 Bells" is excellent background music for reading, in my opinion.

I'll grab "Under The Binary Tree" as well and listen to it. If you want, I'll let you know what I think about it as well.

Cheers and keep on proggin'!

Edited by Guzzman - June 24 2010 at 11:05
"We've got to get in to get out"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2010 at 18:06
Originally posted by DocDan DocDan wrote:

I do have a competing ambition to make the best music I can within the limitiations I have, favouring listening pleasure over temptations to show off technical ability. I hope that I'm getting better at playing skills, at patience with takes, at creative editing to realise what I'm after and at creating quality music within my limits.

Improving your craft in every area is never the wrong thing to do. Handling everything can make you a much better player at each individual instrument  for sure. On the other hand, I always try to play with people who are way better than me. (which is easy to do if I'm not playing solo). Both paths have their advantages.

DocDan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2010 at 13:21

Originally posted by Guzzman Guzzman wrote:

There are maybe one or two parts I didn't like as much as the rest (especially the piano solo around 15'20''), but that doesn't spoil the thing as a whole. What I like about instrumental music is (and please don't take that badly) that you can listen to it while doing something else like reading or (as I did today) writing something. "11 Bells" is excellent background music for reading, in my opinion.

I'll grab "Under The Binary Tree" as well and listen to it. If you want, I'll let you know what I think about it as well.

I absolutely don't take that badly, and I agree.  I listen to a lot of instrumental stuff at work, because work is mostly words and I don't like competing words.  I'd love to think that if you give it more attention there is stuff there to listen to, but I love the idea of it just washing over you.

I'd appreciate any critique you have of "Under A Binary Tree" - my wife thinks it's "weirder" and therefore I guess "less accessible" (but that may be because she has heard 11 Bells more). I'm currently working on album 3 so I'm loving any critiques - positives and negatives, it all helps me to grow as a musician and hone what I'm doing.  Even the negatives that I disagree with are helping me define in a better way what it is I am aiming for.

BTW if you have any stuff posted that you want me to return the favour on I'd be happy to do so.

Dan

Dan
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2010 at 01:11
Downloaded 11 Bells and listening to it now thanks;. Will review it soon

AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2010 at 01:29
11 Bells

Very nice guitar intro, quite spacey in parts, Hackett like you might say. I like the ambient pads in the background. Quite a somber passage as it progresses along with acoustics and a cool synth that sounds like a flute adds to the tranquility. It builds to a jazz beat and frenetic keyboards augmented by the off beat guitars. The keyboard flourishes are fun to listen to. i think the lead guitar parts are well acomplished. Its never over the top or too heavy but has a cool atmosphere. The keys are working well with the overall sound, though I would have liked some full on Hammond or mellotron as I am a fan. It is good to listen to while I am working or on the forums rather than sitting down and just listening to intensely but thats not a bad thing as theres not much out there suitable for background music. I liked it and it has symphonic touches and some jazz fusion.    

EDIT: )OK downloaded Ebony Queen

will let you know

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - June 27 2010 at 01:42
DocDan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2010 at 17:12

Originally posted by warrplayer warrplayer wrote:

Improving your craft in every area is never the wrong thing to do. Handling everything can make you a much better player at each individual instrument  for sure. On the other hand, I always try to play with people who are way better than me. (which is easy to do if I'm not playing solo). Both paths have their advantages.

It's true that in some ways I'm starting to feel like a Jack of all instruments, master of none, but if you cut right into me there is a bassist at the core.  I do play regularly with other musicians and in recent years have been exposed to some truly excellent keyboard players.  I find that every new musical venture or experience improves my abilities in the others.

With this project I have never felt it has to be all me, but for practical reasons that's the way it has been so far. This way I can get it done in short bursts when I have an hour or two at a time, without having to pre-arrange things. Also this way at least in this one project I have total artistic control.  

Dan
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2010 at 17:20
Originally posted by DocDan DocDan wrote:

With this project I have never felt it has to be all me, but for practical reasons that's the way it has been so far. This way I can get it done in short bursts when I have an hour or two at a time, without having to pre-arrange things. Also this way at least in this one project I have total artistic control.  

It's getting quite easy to collaborate with people over the internet. The main problems are really the same ones you have in the studio. (telling a guy who just poured his heart out into a incredibly complex, technically brilliant solo that it's not really what you're looking for. Smile )

anyway, you're a bass player! We make the best arrangers! Wink
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2010 at 17:30
Heard all Doc Dan, I believe it's a great candidate for Crossover.

Iván

Guzzman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2010 at 08:08
Hi Dan,

here we go again! I did indeed download "Under A Binary Tree" and gave it a couple of listens. Very well done is all I can say. I guess your wife is correct (aren't women all the time? Wink) in calling it weirder than "11 Bells". Especially "The Ebony Queen" I find harder to grasp, whereas "The Ivory Tower" get's hold of me and my attention all way through.
I'm really glad that you didn't mind me saying that "11 Bells" great reading music. Next time I listen to it I'll try to pay more attention. But let me tell you something: A couple of weeks ago I got "The Natural World Trilogy" by Rick Wakeman. Although it's not bad, I just don't find it as interesting as your stuff. While I can stand listening to that triple CD only once at a time, I hit replay on my WinAmp after both of your albums as soon as the music ended. Thanks for letting us have it for free!! Clap

Cheers!
"We've got to get in to get out"
DocDan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2010 at 06:17
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

11 Bells

The keys are working well with the overall sound, though I would have liked some full on Hammond or mellotron as I am a fan. It is good to listen to while I am working or on the forums rather than sitting down and just listening to intensely but thats not a bad thing as theres not much out there suitable for background music. I liked it and it has symphonic touches and some jazz fusion.    

EDIT: )OK downloaded Ebony Queen

will let you know

Thanks for your positive words, as you'll see above other people are finding it to be good "background" music, and people outside this forum have made that comment too. 

Interesting you should say that a bout the keys - there is a fair use of organ on "Under a Binary Tree" in one section, but still no Mellotron.  My hankering for Mellotron grew and grew and so album three (in process right now) has some - I found a great free mellotron softsynth.  I'm loving the fact that it uses sounds sampled from a mellotron, which in turn uses "sampled" sounds - double sampling!

Looking forwards to comments on "Under A Binary Tree" if you can (no pressure)

Dan
DocDan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2010 at 06:25
Originally posted by Guzzman Guzzman wrote:

I hit replay on my WinAmp after both of your albums as soon as the music ended.

That's gotta be my favourite compliment yet Big smile.

I'm now so glad I posted here and so pleased that some people are enjoying the music. When I started the project it was pretty much for my own enjoyment of the process, and to see if I can.  It's a hugely affirming thing to get positive comments from strangers.

Dan
DocDan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2010 at 18:41

I'd like to thank everyone who has commented so far.

I hereby pledge that if anyone is kind enough to listen and comment, I will give quid pro quo - I'll do the same for you.

Dan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>