Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Feed-back (experimental) and Ennio Morricone
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Feed-back (experimental) and Ennio Morricone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Feed-back (experimental) and Ennio Morricone
    Posted: April 04 2010 at 18:46
So, I've been think about this for a long time, but didn't want to be laughed at.  Do people think there's a case for Morricone in Prog-Related (skip to The Feed-back now if you like)?

Here's a few Morricone vids to get people started (the first vid is from the gloriously psychedelic year, 1968):

And since Oldfield is in whose Tubular Bells is the Exorcist theme, how about Morricone's Exorcist 2 theme?

Anyway, I doubt this site is ready for Morricone yet, but how about The Feed-back which features Ennio Morricone? Now this I think deserves a place as a JRF  (after absorbing the album more, Krautrock or Avant is more appropriate -- sorry was rather too new to me when I suggested it and wasn't thinking) album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jlpOqg6zsI (edit, embedding disabled, I should always check those when posting so a URL instead)

1970 Feedback   1 7

rate

It's really a contunuation of Gruppo Improvvisazione Nuova Consonanza (which features the amazing Egisto Macchi)

albums.push('tr410165');albums.push('tr309868');albums.push('tr410166');albums.push('tr410167');albums.push('tr331946');albums.push('tr410169');albums.push('tr410171');albums.push('tr87915');
1966 Gruppo d'Improvvisazione Nuova Consonanza  

rate
1967 The Private Sea of Dreams [as Il Gruppo] 2 issues 2 29

rate
1969 Improvisationen   2 7

rate
1970 The Feed-Back [as The Group]  

rate
1973 Improvvisazioni a formazioni variate  

rate
1973 Nuova Consonanza  

rate
1975 Gruppo d'Improvvisazione Nuova Consonanza 2 2 issues

rate
1976 Musica su schemi 5 issues

rate
2000 Appears on: Gli occhi freddi della paura (1971) [Ennio Morricone] 2 issues 1 22

Edited by Logan - June 17 2010 at 20:00
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2010 at 12:50
Sorry to bump this, but I'd love to get some Feed-back.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2010 at 13:50
I'll check this asap Thumbs Up
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2010 at 14:45
Thanks, and I can make more music available for The Feed-back to interested parties.

I'm actually very surprised that this topic didn't get a reaction since I would have thought a suggestion of Ennio Morricone for PA would provoke response (wouldn't expect the same level of feedback for The Feed-back from the general  PA community)..
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2010 at 04:18
Thanks for reminding me of this suggestion Smile

I think he was an inspiration to the proto-prog movement (Emerson comes to mind) but that doesn't qualify for inclusion (although prog-related could be an option?).

Is he proto-prog or prog-related?

I wouldn't be comfortable placing him in proto-prog so perhaps prog-related is the proper place for him?.
snobb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2010 at 05:01
The Feed -Back is interesting suggestion, but (besides of its Italian origin) sounds more as krautrock, than JRF for me
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2010 at 07:27
The EM samples are very nice (The Devil Is A Woman sounds so Zeuhl! LOL), the question would be "how much of his output is like that?" The Feed-back sample was fabulous, and it does sound krautrock-ish indeed. Maybe Psyche-prog would be their best home on PA?

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2010 at 12:00
To be honest, I don't know why I automatically suggested The Feed-back for JRF (I think I had only just got the album when I quickly suggested it here without listening properly).  I was thinking about putting a different track on youtube (there are only three tracks).  It's experimental (pretty avant), utilises improv, has a significant jazz component, but also a psych element with Krautrock qualities for sure.  I think it might be fine for Avant. Pysch I wouldn't see it in.

It did remind me of various psych (or cosmic) jazz-rock pieces (even has a track called "Quasar" and so maybe that got me associating more with Mwandishi styled music but I do find similarities with such stuff, though this is less polished).

As for Morricone, I think he has a fair amount of music like his "The Devil is a Woman" (aka Il Sorriso del Grande Tentatore).

Incidentally, this from Once Upon a Time in the West (1968) is one of my favourites of his.  Great stuff, imo (had meant to include that vid in my initial post):

Edited by Logan - April 27 2010 at 12:03
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2010 at 19:57
Here's another The Feed-back track.  If the Krautrock or Avant teams are interested, I can provide more music.

http://musicophiliadaily.wordpress.com/2009/03/04/audio-the-feed-back-kumalo-1970/
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2010 at 20:02
Wondering: doesn't a band have to be from Germany to be Krautrock?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2010 at 20:06
No.  It's not just regional; it involves a sound and approach that can be fit for bands/artists hailing from other countries..
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2010 at 21:03
Alrighty.

I'm 100% in favour of Morricone having a place on the site, but of course my opinion doesn't really matter when it comes to that.  I'll check out that Feed-Back too, looks very interesting
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2010 at 03:39
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Here's another The Feed-back track.  If the Krautrock or Avant teams are interested, I can provide more music.

http://musicophiliadaily.wordpress.com/2009/03/04/audio-the-feed-back-kumalo-1970/

Sounds pretty Avant to me - with a World Music flavour.
Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2010 at 04:54
Originally posted by earlyprog earlyprog wrote:

Thanks for reminding me of this suggestion Smile

I think he was an inspiration to the proto-prog movement (Emerson comes to mind) but that doesn't qualify for inclusion (although prog-related could be an option?).

Is he proto-prog or prog-related?

I wouldn't be comfortable placing him in proto-prog so perhaps prog-related is the proper place for him?.

I got about 30-40 full-on progalbums by Morricone covering Protoprog/RIO/Avant (loads), Jazzrock-Fusion, Psychedelic-Spacerock/Symphonic and Krautrock (& postrock)... But he's got 5-600 titles that's not related to any kind of Prog, so I don't know.

Feed Back/Gruppo di Improvvisazione Nuova Consonanza (same band) is a composer collective with Morricone as one of many profilic  members. The most natural place would be Krautrock og RIO/Avant.

Check out these:

Gruppo di Improvvisazione Nuova Consonanza
Seguita, Notte E Misteri, Folle Folle
(from Gli Occhi Freddi Della Paura/Cold Eyes of Fear)

There's about a dozen italian soundtrack/library-composers that have a handful of more prog releases. (Stelvio Cipriani, Bruno Nicolai, Giorgio Gaslini, Egisto Macchi, Riz Ortolani, Fabio Frizzi, Armando Trovaioli, Nico Fidenco mm...)
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2010 at 12:51
^ Awesome! I was hoping you'd respond to this topic as you know far more than I. And that MorriconeRocks has posted a lot of great stuff on youtube.

Thanks to all for your posts and interest. Every post matters (unless people are misinformed). I think Morricone has a really strong case for PA both due to his music and he's influenced many in progressive rock, but there have been concerns about including soundtrack/ library music composers even if the music fits. I support having such composers in PA (but even if Morricone were accepted, the prospect of preparing such an addition is scary and would be good to have a few people working on it).

At the least, I hope this leads to more people discovering Morricone (well, I guess most here would know some Morricone, but more and different Morricone) and related artists such as Egisto Macchi (really appreciate the recommendation before of Macchi).

Edited by Logan - June 18 2010 at 13:18
Marty McFly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2010 at 16:05
There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2010 at 14:18
Don't know if you had the chance to listen to the samples Marty, but I'd appreciate your impressions on the music.
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2010 at 20:14
IMO a good call for Avant same goes for Feed-Back
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2010 at 21:37
Thanks for the feed-back, Chris. Big smile

I mentioned The Feed-back/ Gruppo d'improvvisazione... to the Avant team with a link to this thread this morning, and I hope both The Feedback and Morricone can find a place ere too long (though I rather expect Morricone will take much longer to find its way into PA -- huge discography --, and I wonder how much of Gruppo will have to be evaluated since The Feed-back, though it could have a separate listing, is a Gruppo... project).
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2010 at 00:58
^ Greg, judging by the albums for Morricone you highlighted ( 3 or 4 out of 80?) he has a place here. Perception should never punish reasonWink
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>