Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Tull Freak 94 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jethro Tull - Sheffield City Hall April 1st
    Posted: September 02 2010 at 09:24
I saw just a week before that at Birmingham Symphony Hall on 24th March. The set list was pretty much the same. The highlights for me were the new instrumental tracks (Change of horses, tea with a princess) and the traditional crow pleasers Aqualung and Locomotive breath. Shame they don't do Thick As A Brick anymore, they did it the time before when I saw them at the Moseley Folk Festival.
Tull Freak 94 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2010 at 09:23
I saw just a week before that at Birmingham Symphony Hall on 24th March. The set list was pretty much the same. The highlights for me were the new instrumental tracks (Change of horses, tea with a princess) and the traditional crow pleasers Aqualung and Locomotive breath. Shame they don't do Thick As A Brick anymore, they did it the time before when I saw them at the Moseley Folk Festival.
Lizzy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2010 at 05:42
Originally posted by aapatsos aapatsos wrote:

I
One small note only - all sitting down during a rock concert is something that can only happen in the UK (correct me if I am wrong...LOL). I dont know if it had to do with the average age of the audience... Strange to see places like the City Hall (perfect sound I have to admit) to host rock concerts...

Actually that is just the way Ian likes it: small venue with a seated audience who enjoys some brilliant music. Of course audiences and their behaviour differ from country to country, even at a Tull gig. Not sure about the youth though, if the concert is outdoors, then you might see them moshing to Jack-In-The-Green.:P
Property of Queen Productions...
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2010 at 18:48
I can understand your comments about his vocal performance (which was not so bad to be honest here...) but I was so amazed by the rest of the show - musicianship, instruments, stage performance and sheer energy.

I could not have any complaints after this !

One small note only - all sitting down during a rock concert is something that can only happen in the UK (correct me if I am wrong...LOL). I dont know if it had to do with the average age of the audience... Strange to see places like the City Hall (perfect sound I have to admit) to host rock concerts...
Ronnie Pilgrim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2010 at 15:30
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Is that an early pic of Mr. Anderson?

No, but you're getting warm. Wink
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2010 at 14:26
Is that an early pic of Mr. Anderson?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2010 at 13:37
Originally posted by Lizzy Lizzy wrote:

Btw, nice avi, Max!Thumbs Up

Thanks. I see you "get it." Wink
"The pointy birds are pointy pointy
Anoint my head anointy nointy"
Steve Martin The Man With Two Brains
Lizzy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2010 at 12:41
Have they played APP bits after '75?
Btw, nice avi, Max!Thumbs Up
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2010 at 11:59
I'm sure it was a good concert; however, I am always disappointed when I read the set list and discover there is never even a snippet of A Passion Play performed. Even with Ian's failing voice, I am sure he could manage Foot of Our Stairs vocally. And with, I have read, his much improved woodwind mastery, and the talented musicians he has assembled, wouldn't the long instrumental in that segment be sublime? Please, Ian, we've all grown up now and Chris Welch has retired! Throw us a dog end!

Edited by Ronnie Pilgrim - April 09 2010 at 12:01
"The pointy birds are pointy pointy
Anoint my head anointy nointy"
Steve Martin The Man With Two Brains
Lizzy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2010 at 04:15
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Yep! The Madison Square Gardens DVD is truly Tull at their best!

Hehe! Then you haven't seen Isle of Wigh ('70)t or Tanglewood ('70) or  Tampa ('76) or my ultimate favourite - Golders Green Hippodrome (77).
At MSG Ian was already old... and fat.LOL Brilliant show nonetheless. Pitty John Glascock was very ill at the time and didn't make it to the concert.Cry
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2010 at 12:16
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

Having first seen Tull on the 'Broadsword' tour back in 1982 & on several occasions since then, I can say that Anderson's voice has been on something of a downward spiral since the early 1990s; sometimes you catch him on a good(ish) night (for example the Cropredy Festival 2/3 years back), but so often, it's weak & out of tune, which is a shame - on the plus side, his sheer stage presence & flute playing are always perfection, so I can forgive the vocal flutters...

If you want to see the man at the height of his powers, check out the Madison Square Gardens DVD - truly top notch

...that notwithstanding, it sounds like JT as a band were on fine form as always at Sheffield; shame I couldn't get tickets for St Albans (sold out in about 3 seconds flat )

Yep! The Madison Square Gardens DVD is truly Tull at their best!
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2010 at 10:02
Having first seen Tull on the 'Broadsword' tour back in 1982 & on several occasions since then, I can say that Anderson's voice has been on something of a downward spiral since the early 1990s; sometimes you catch him on a good(ish) night (for example the Cropredy Festival 2/3 years back), but so often, it's weak & out of tune, which is a shame - on the plus side, his sheer stage presence & flute playing are always perfection, so I can forgive the vocal flutters...

If you want to see the man at the height of his powers, check out the Madison Square Gardens DVD - truly top notch

...that notwithstanding, it sounds like JT as a band were on fine form as always at Sheffield; shame I couldn't get tickets for St Albans (sold out in about 3 seconds flat )

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2010 at 09:35
Thing about Tull shows is that there's always a suprise!
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2010 at 14:51

So glad you finally got to see them. And that's a very nice looking setlist.Such a crime that Ian is no longer able to sing. But this has been the case since '82.LOLAnyway, I pray I'll get to see them at least one more time.

The first time I heard Tull was a radio broadcast of their Milton Keynes show, supporting Marillion. I remember tinking at the time, that Andersons voice was pretty rough. I think he even apologised to the crowd for it, but the music stood up, and caught my attention immediately. The combination of flute and rock guitar wasn't something I'd heard before. I was fairly new to prog rock, back then..
At that time I thing he was either before or recovering from a throat surgery. But he himself admitted that he didn't have the best vocals one could find on the market, but what I truly love is the beauty of his vocal timbre, not the range. You can hear that for example in The Chequered Flag.

Agree. His voice is perhaps the most important conponant of the Tull sound...and the flute of course!

I was privileged enough to see that show, and, yes, he was recovering from surgery, hence the fact that the majority of the set was instrumental. It didn't detract from the quality though.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2010 at 13:19

So glad you finally got to see them. And that's a very nice looking setlist.Such a crime that Ian is no longer able to sing. But this has been the case since '82.LOLAnyway, I pray I'll get to see them at least one more time.

The first time I heard Tull was a radio broadcast of their Milton Keynes show, supporting Marillion. I remember tinking at the time, that Andersons voice was pretty rough. I think he even apologised to the crowd for it, but the music stood up, and caught my attention immediately. The combination of flute and rock guitar wasn't something I'd heard before. I was fairly new to prog rock, back then..
At that time I thing he was either before or recovering from a throat surgery. But he himself admitted that he didn't have the best vocals one could find on the market, but what I truly love is the beauty of his vocal timbre, not the range. You can hear that for example in The Chequered Flag.

Agree. His voice is perhaps the most important conponant of the Tull sound...and the flute of course!
Lizzy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2010 at 11:50

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2010 at 11:35

Lizzy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2010 at 11:27

Both my memory and attention are apparently leaving me, probably an age thing CryLOL

But of course. You can ask the 80 year looking Martin for his Zimmer frame. Not necessarily good for the memory, but there are other practical uses for it. Wink
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2010 at 11:20
Both my memory and attention are apparently leaving me, probably an age thing CryLOL
Lizzy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2010 at 11:16

So glad you finally got to see them. And that's a very nice looking setlist.
Such a crime that Ian is no longer able to sing. But this has been the case since '82.LOL
Anyway, I pray I'll get to see them at least one more time.

Wait a minute, you mean you didn't go see them in Sibiu in 2008? Shocked

2007, mon ami! Looking at the poster as I type.:D And if you read carefully, I said one MOAR time.Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>