FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTheir Satanic Majesties Request

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Their Satanic Majesties Request
    Posted: April 09 2010 at 10:10
Hi, I just wanted to know what you, proggers, thought of this (imho) masterpiece of the psychedelic sixties 

This is of course NOT the case of the remaining Stones discography, but I believe that this album, apart from being extremely trippy , contains a lot of prog elements, that we will find some years later in our trusted early seventies milestones. 

It has a jam / improv feel, loads of mellotron, eastern and classic flavours, some spacey stuff and sound effects wizardry, brass instruments, John Paul Jones, a (discreet) concept and, for the most part, intelligent and complex track structures... 

ThanksSmile

harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2010 at 10:12
Great album, definitely proto-prog for me. John Paul Jones? I didn't know of that.
God Was A Mellotron View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2010 at 10:22
He arranged the delicious strings for "She's A Rainbow", as he was only 21. Terrific work! 
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2010 at 10:24

I've mentioned this album a lot of times, but sadly can''t be addeed because we add the whole discography of the band, and the Rolling Stones are not even a Prog Related band.

I know it's more than inspired in Sgt Peppers, but as a fact I llike much more the Stones version,all the album is outstanding but the perfect masterpiece is "She's a Rainbow", it's unbelievable that a band so almost exclusively  Rock & Roll based made such a delicate and elaborate Proto Prog album.

Along with the song "Paint it Black" are the only Rolling Stones releases I really care for.

Iván

BTW: Not only JPJ (credited i the album), but it's said that Mac'Cartney and Lennon added some vocals and once read an article that mentioned Mc'Laughlin also added some sections, but never could verify this.

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - April 09 2010 at 10:27

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2010 at 10:27
I would recommend this song to you, Ivan:

Pretty adventurous and progressive stuff for the hard rock blues band they were at that time. Star

Edited by harmonium.ro - April 09 2010 at 10:51
God Was A Mellotron View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2010 at 10:50
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Along with the song "Paint it Black" are the only Rolling Stones releases I really care for.

Same here! Plus I also really like their raga-influenced single of that year "We Love You / Dandelion", but I'm pretty sure you know about it Wink
gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2010 at 19:54
Hehe.
I  have wanted to hear this whole album for ages.Had it with the original 3D cover waaaaaaay back but only remember She's a rainbow + 2000 lightyears from home,which is probably my favorite Stones song.
Now,just conveniently borrowed it but have not heard it yet.
Can't say I'm much of a Stones fan though.
Shake & bake.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2010 at 09:25
Originally posted by gr8dane gr8dane wrote:

Hehe.
I  have wanted to hear this whole album for ages.Had it with the original 3D cover waaaaaaay back but only remember She's a rainbow + 2000 lightyears from home,which is probably my favorite Stones song.

LOL. I have the 3D cover still (Only keep the cover because the album was so scratched I couldn't listen it), but also bought the CD some years ago ina very expensive Japanese version.

Iván

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2010 at 11:20
Originally posted by gr8dane gr8dane wrote:

Hehe.

2000 lightyears from home is classic Clap. For as much being the aberration from the Stones as being a heavenly slice of  the peach pie of psycedelia.

here.. let's youtube that classic..

smoke 'em if you got 'em

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
flaxton View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2010 at 13:05
satanic has always been ridiculed as a sgt. pepper copy. i think it is much darker and more progressive though.
flaxton
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2010 at 13:53
Originally posted by flaxton flaxton wrote:

satanic has always been ridiculed as a sgt. pepper copy. i think it is much darker and more progressive though.

more dark? oh sure....different? yeah. The Stones were the dangerous black to the Beatles pure white.

but more progressive?  an album considered a blatant answer to another can hardly be considered more progressive.  One leads.. the other follows.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2010 at 14:44
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by flaxton flaxton wrote:

more dark? oh sure....different? yeah. The Stones were the dangerous black to the Beatles pure white.

but more progressive?  an album considered a blatant answer to another can hardly be considered more progressive.  One leads.. the other follows.

Well Micky, progressive as in advanced no way, but Progressive Rock as in the genre, yes becauew we know Progressive Rock has no necessary relation with evolution.

IMO The Stones made a ,more solid album and closer to what we see as Proto Prog.

Iván

Kestrel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2010 at 15:31

I listened to this album once a long time ago and really enjoyed it. I should try it again sometime soon.

Perhaps it would be possible to create a page with a list of albums by rock bands not normally progressive whatsoever? I can't come up with any other examples off the top of my head though.

spo1977 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2010 at 00:11
was this a concept album?
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2010 at 19:55
Hi,

I've always liked this album, and for some weird reason, this is the one album that I always thought was the first one to create that "spacy" feeling that eventually led into a lot of what we call progressive, and keyboard oriented material.

Because of the Stones attitudes and tendency to be lackadaisical and somewhat free spirited in a lot of their music, I think it helped usher a lot of the first comparisons and discussions about music and how in many ways both them and The Beatles were doing things that were not exactly well known to be like most pop music du jour ... meaningless songs for fun and radio sales! And I think that is good.

Because the album did not bring out a major single hit, like many of the others did or The Beatles album did, it has never really been thought of as a major accomplishment, although I really enjoy it, and the music itself in the album is pretty much unlike almost any of the music that the band undertook to do later. I also think, and I am not sure that I am the only one, that Brian Jones was hoping to help his band mates go onto some other things and musics and expand their vocabulary, which, sadly, they did not and then ... he left us ...

I have never really thought as the Stones as anywhere near "progressive" or even any term resembling that, and I think that even Mick would just tell you "it's rock'n'roll" and I like it, and it is very much what the Stones are about, but there may have been moments and times when  some things and thoughts crept in and they did some different things.

I would often think that turning Keith Richards loose with Mike Oldfield or Vangelis would probably be far out and different. The only problem would be, I don't think that Keith or anyone would be able to duplicate what they did, but we would all sit there and say ... WOW! It's just sad that we don't hear talks with these guys about the music and things that don't have a "star" -- just a person ... and I think the Rolling Stones might be taken a little more seriously and appreciated for what they do. Even if they are looking old these days, but miracles do happen and Keith is looking younger than he did years ago!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Floydman View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2010 at 11:42
Originally posted by God Was A Mellotron God Was A Mellotron wrote:

Hi, I just wanted to know what you, proggers, thought of this (imho) masterpiece of the psychedelic sixties 

This is of course NOT the case of the remaining Stones discography, but I believe that this album, apart from being extremely trippy , contains a lot of prog elements, that we will find some years later in our trusted early seventies milestones. 

It has a jam / improv feel, loads of mellotron, eastern and classic flavours, some spacey stuff and sound effects wizardry, brass instruments, John Paul Jones, a (discreet) concept and, for the most part, intelligent and complex track structures... 

ThanksSmile

I think Their Satanic Majesties Request is a great album. I think they were influenced by the Beatles style, then basically everyone was in some form and sort of tweaked it as everything you mentioned was done earlier by the Beatles on Revolver, "Strawberry Fields Forever/Penny Lane and "Sgt Pepper.  Songs like "Gomper" are descendents to "Love You To" and "Within You Without You".  "She's a Rainbow" sounds a lot like a mix of "Penny Lane" and "Strawberry Fields Forever". The album structure is also very influenced by Sgt Pepper.

On Revolver specifically on "Tomorrow Never Knows" were using loops common only really by avant composers but afterwards after the Beatles use of the tape loop it became a one of  common sounds when a band wanted to create weird spacy or psychedelic sounds. Then they did the basically the same thing with the mellotron on "Strawberry Fields Forever". 

Both albums like Piper is a more psychedelic album than Sgt Pepper as Pepper has only four songs that would be psychedelic. Though on Pepper is more known for it's odd structure, incorporating sounds, instruments and recording techniques that were not common in rock music and many times putting less emphasis on guitar and sometimes not even having guitars.  Just listen to "A Day in the Life" and "Within You Without You" and you will know what I mean.  You won't hear songs like those on even the Doors first album.

Edited by Floydman - April 14 2010 at 12:21
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2010 at 15:24
Satanic is a good album.  Not fantastic, but definitely one of my favorites from the Stones.  It was kind of the apex of what I consider their best period, their "pop" period; after the hardcore R&B, but before the "roots" music beginning with Beggars' Banquet.

If you listen to it next to Sgt Pepper, there really isn't much of a similarity at all.  I guess they were both "psychedelic" and both had the band in garish costumes on the cover, but beyond that, nothing really.  So I think they need to be judged as separate things, not one as a "knock off" of the other.  It's a good, fun listen.

Four stars! ****
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2010 at 18:54
Coincidentally, I recently (legally) downloaded "2000 Light Years From Home" and "She's Like a Rainbow"

Great songs, with the former featuring lots of mellotron and sci-fi lyrics, and the latter that lovely Nicky Hopkins piano motif. Very atypical for the Stones. Cool

What other tracks are essential from the album, folks? Smile
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 04:17
Proggers don't download songs, right? Geek
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 04:17
Also, is there any major classic rock band that Nicky Hopkins didn't guest with? Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>