Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedByrds for Proto-Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Byrds for Proto-Prog
    Posted: April 11 2010 at 07:45
I thought I had already suggested them and many people had disagreed, but it doesn't seem to be the case. In any case I write a bit more Wink

My pro arguments:

The Byrds have always been a band that loved to experiment with new sounds and compositions which weren't typical of the time when they were active (1964 until 1972).

Mr. Tambourine Man (1965):
The first record on the first look isn't really prog-related, but when you look closer you'll find some aspects which are quite progressive.
For example, the Byrds first used the electric 12 string guitar and by doing that were (with Bob Dylan) the first musicians to cross folk (sophisticated harmony vocals) and rock music, influencing many proto-prog (Beatles) or prog bands.
Especially the bass guitar and the rhythm electric guitar are well-arranged and collaborate as a rhythm unit, for example in "You Won't Have To Cry" where the faintly-odd metre is underlined by nearly funky chords of bass and electric guitar.
"It's No Use" features jazzy chord progressions (1:10-1:13) which could be described as very progressive, a short bridge in the piece sounds like being influenced by John Coltrane or someone like that.

Turn Turn Turn (1965):
Here, the band made their first step in the direction of mantra/Asian music and thus also proto-psychedelia. Check out the constant backing vocals on "If You're Gone" or the epic/symphonic sound of "He Was A Friend Of Mine" due to rapid 12 string picking (compare with Genesis' Trespass), Hammond organ, interesting harmony vocals and chunking bass guitar; as far as I know, no other popular rock band before gave the bass guitar this prominence; later this should be usual in progressive rock music (Yes or ELP).
Jazz/blues-related walking bass melodies can also be seen in "Lay Down Your Weary Tune".

5D (1966):
The band's first contact to avantgarde and sciencefiction and the first psychedelic album, in a way.
From mighty hymns (title track) to folk songs with exciting string arrangements and/or electric folk attitudes (Wild Mountain Thyme and John Riley) the pop music branch is given a new sound.
The soul/rock rework "Hey Joe" brings the next type of innovation: rapid electric guitar and bass soloing in the background with strong jazz influences, just like the Coltrane- or Asian music-influenced psychedelic solos and breaks in "Eight Miles High", "What's Happening?" the single "Why" and "I See You" with frantic trills and odd rhythms - as such "Eight Miles High" and "Why" have already been recorded in late 1965 (!) and can be heard in the bonus tracks section.  "Captain Soul" is a blues improvisation piece.
"Mr. Spaceman" combines country and rock music while the "Lear Jet Song" uses sound effects of planes before any other rock band did so (the album was recorded before the Beatles' Revolver).
The outtake "Psychodrama City" may actually not be included in my argumentation, but this piece is nearly undescribable with its hectic sounds and strange harmonies.

Younger Than Yesterday (1967)

Here, nearly every song has its innovations.  "So You Wanna..." features a ska brass section and lyrics criticizing hypes around commercially orientated bands (The Monkees),  "CTA102" includes sound effects with synthesizers and oscillators and science-fiction-orientated lyrics while David Crosby composes a somber/psychedelic song (Everybody Has Been Burned), a track with frantic crying vocals and backwards-played guitars (Mind Gardens) and the psychfolk-tune "Renaissance Fair".
Chris Hillman wrote a drug-influenced song (Thoughts and Words) and some country pieces while "Time Between" features (as far as I know) the technical innovation of the B bender on his guitar.

Notorious Byrd Brothers (1967)

Apart from the features of the previous album we find Moog synthesizer pieces here (Moog Raga, Space Odyssey),  the drone-based song "Change is Now" (with alternating country/psych parts),  baroque influences in "Get To You" and "Old John Robertson" with string quartets.  "Tribal Gathering" is written in a 5/4 measure and also features strange chord progressions.
Other sound effects:  guns in "Draft Morning", dolphn sounds imitated by a guitar in "Dolphin's Smile".

Afterwards the band went over to country music although the album "Dr. Byrds & Mr. Hyde" still featured interesting effects;  "Untitled/Unissued" is a live album where some improvisations are also at least prog-related.

Edited by Einsetumadur - April 12 2010 at 13:21
All in all each man in all men
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2010 at 09:57
This is the second time in a short while you suggest them LOL

Everything that needed to be said was said in that threat or...?

As concluded there, they would be a great addition to proto-prog (perhaps my mis-interpretation?).
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2010 at 10:18
Suggest New Bands and Artists
Hot Locked Topic
The Byrds
By The Lost Chord, January 24 2007 at 20:12
24 238 By Eetu Pellonpää
January 26 2007 at 15:31View Last Post
Hot Locked Poll
Message Icon The Byrds
By Mandrakeroot, January 14 2007 at 12:25
7 114 By Mandrakeroot
January 14 2007 at 18:31View Last Post

Hot Locked Topic
8 209 By valravennz
September 27 2005 at 01:57View Last Post
Originally posted by earlyprog earlyprog wrote:

This is the second time in a short while you suggest them LOL

Everything that needed to be said was said in that threat or...?

As concluded there, they would be a great addition to proto-prog (perhaps my mis-interpretation?).

We seeem to read something different threads, the one you mention is full of opinions specially from three administrators against their incluysion, and that thread sends us to three more which also reject the inclusion:

If the band has 40 + years, has been rejected at least in four different ocasiobns, and released no new album that could define them as Prog, there's no need to suggest them again.

At least that's my opinion.

Iván
Hot Locked Topic
8 209 By valravennz
September 27 2005 at 01:57View Last Post

Einsetumadur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2010 at 13:21
I already thought that I opened a thread one year ago or so, but I don't understand why I don't find this thread when I search for it - neither the search function of the forum nor the search function of the Progarchives when I search for my user name or the band name "The Byrds" showed results. Confused

Anyway: I didn't find a clear no anywhere; instead there were questions and doubts, but not a clear decline.

The main problem was - that's the way I understood it - the big number of non-prog albums.
I'll give every album a point rating concerning innovation:

Preflyte Sessions:  3.5/5
Mr. Tambourine Man:  3.5/5
Turn Turn Turn:  3/5
5D:  5/5
Younger Than Yesterday:  5/5
The Notorious Byrd Brothers:  5/5
Sweetheart of the Rodeo:  0/5
Dr. Byrds & Mr. Hyde:  2.5/5
Ballad of Easy Rider:  1.5/5
Untitled/Unissued (Re-issue):  4/5
Byrdmaniax:  1-1.5/5 ?!
Farther Along:  0-1/5 ?!

The problems are the two 1960s country albums and (although I don't really know them) the folk/gospel/pop albums of the 70s.
Yes, I see this problem.  But when 4 of 12 albums are inadequate:  is this reason enough to decline the whole band's work?
Maybe yes, maybe no.  I would say: not really.

Another point which was criticized:  the Byrds didn't really influence any other prog band.
I personally believe that Yes ("I See You"), The Strawbs and King Crimson were influenced by the Byrds; about King Crimson I'm not too sure, I meant to have read that in a book, but I could check it.
But anyway: does a band necessarily have to have influenced prog bands?  Let's see what the guidelines say:

The denomination Proto Prog comes from the combination of two words, Proto from the Greek The earliest,. and Prog which as we know is a short term for Progressive Rock, so as it's name clearly indicates, refers to the earliest form of Progressive Rock or Progressive Rock in embryonary state.

Embryonary state. Yep, this should be the case here.

These bands normally were formed and released albums before Progressive Rock had completely developed (there are some rare Proto Prog bands from the early 70's, because the genre didn't expanded to all the Continents simultaneously

Yes. Working period of the Byrds:  1964 to 1972 (mainly).

The common elements in all these bands is that they developed one or more elements of Prog, and even when not completely defined as part of the genre, they are without any doubt, an important stage in the evolution of Progressive Rock.

Generally, Proto Prog bands are the direct link between Psyche and Prog and for that reason the Psychedelic components are present in the vast majority of them, but being that Progressive Rock was born from the blending of different genres, we have broadened the definition to cover any band that combined some elements of Progressive Rock with other genres prior to 1970.

Of course.
In the case of the Byrds:  innovation concerning psychedelic rock (before the Beatles!),  fusion of rock with country, baroque elements, jazz, electronic music and folk:  and all that as pioneer work or at least as one of the first bands.

Some of these bands evolved and turned into 100% Prog, while others simply choose another path, but their importance and contribution in the formative period of Prog can't be denied, for that reason no Prog site can ignore them.

The Byrds chose another path.  Still, they invented many innovations and thus - at least that's the way me and my humble opinion would see it Smile -  they don't have to be ignored (although many do). Wink

And because of that I see a little contradiction of your guideline when compared to your latest statement:

If the band has 40 + years, has been rejected at least in four different ocasiobns, and released no new album that could define them as Prog, there's no need to suggest them again.

Or did I get something wrong or do I put (false) words in your mouth? Shocked

(Of course one can persuade me that I am wrong with this opinion, then I won't get on anyone's nerves anymore Big smile,  but as the Byrds fit totally the description of "Proto Prog" of the Progarchives and as I haven't read any dashing point against the Byrds' inclusion yet I still think that there is (at least a slight) need of discussion regarding this topic. Smile I like this band very much and also do appreciate them very much from the prog point of view.

Edited by Einsetumadur - April 12 2010 at 14:47
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2010 at 14:46
Originally posted by Einsetumadur Einsetumadur wrote:

The denomination Proto Prog comes from the combination of two words, Proto from the Greek The earliest,. and Prog which as we know is a short term for Progressive Rock, so as it's name clearly indicates, refers to the earliest form of Progressive Rock or Progressive Rock in embryonary state.

Embryonary state. Yep, this is the case.

You are going one or two steps back Proto Prog or Prog in embryonary state, that's the further we can go, our limit, The Byrds are a step before Proto Prog and that's out of our competence, if not we could have to add Chuck Berry because he influenced all Rock and even Stravisnky as many ask.

These bands normally were formed and released albums before Progressive Rock had completely developed (there are some rare Proto Prog bands from the early 70's, because the genre didn't expanded to all the Continents simultaneously

Thousands of bands performed between 1964 and 1972 (Even when the limits of Proto are around 1967 and 1969), and that doesn't make them suitable for PA.

The common elements in all these bands is that they developed one or more elements of Prog, and even when not completely defined as part of the genre, they are without any doubt, an important stage in the evolution of Progressive Rock.

Generally, Proto Prog bands are the direct link between Psyche and Prog and for that reason the Psychedelic components are present in the vast majority of them, but being that Progressive Rock was born from the blending of different genres, we have broadened the definition to cover any band that combined some elements of Progressive Rock with other genres prior to 1970.

Of course.
In the case of the Byrds:  innovation concerning psychedelic rock (before the Beatles!),  fusion of rock with country, baroque elements, jazz, electronic music and folk:  and all that as pioneer work or at least innovative work.

Innovative is not necesarilly Prog, the fusion of Rock with country was huge in those years, if that was the case, artists as Donovan, Cat Stevens or even Johnny Cash would have to be here, because they clearly blended Rock with Folk

Some of these bands evolved and turned into 100% Prog, while others simply choose another path, but their importance and contribution in the formative period of Prog can't be denied, for that reason no Prog site can ignore them.

The Byrds chose another path.  Still, they invented many innovations and thus - at least that's the way me and my humble opinion would see it Smile - "no Prog site can ignore them" (although many do). Wink

And because of that I see a little contradiction of your guideline compared to your latest statement:

There's no contradiction, I see no Prog connection,. yes they influenced Proto Prog (when the requirement is toi have influenced Progressive Rock), but no more than they influenced all Rock, Folk and Psyche bands that are not here.

If the band has 40 + years, has been rejected at least in four different ocasions, and released no new album that could define them as Prog, there's no need to suggest them again.

(Of course one can persuade me that I am wrong with this opinion, then I won't get on anyone's nerves anymore,  but as the Byrds fit totally the description of "Proto Prog" of the Progarchives and as I haven't read any dashing point against the Byrds' inclusion I still think that there is (at least a slight) need of discussion regarding this topic. Smile I like this band very much and also do appreciate them very much from the prog point of view.

Don't get the first par of your reply, the several times rejected argument is widely used here because:
  1. The Byrds are famous, so very few here ignore they work, they are not an obscure band that could have been lost in time.
  2. They have been suggested several times
  3. They been debated several times
  4. Three Administrators (who decide PP bands said no)
  5. Almost no (if any) Prog site has them included and that's also a reference
  6. They were rejected every time.

Then why inisist in adding a band that may or may not influenced Prog, when there are hundreds of full Progressive Rock bands still waiting to be added?

BTW: I know you like them, that's not an argument, I like Meatloaf (who has been suggested) but would never ask his inclusion despite the operatic characteristics oif his Wagnerian Rock, because their relation with Prog Related is doubious,

I also suggested The Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band ONE TIME and even when I strongly disagree with their rejection, I accepted the decision.

This is Prog Archives, lets focus in Prog bands not in bands that influenced bands that bands that may have influenced Proto Prog bands.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - April 12 2010 at 14:50

lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2010 at 14:56
The Byrds prog ?

Turn turn turn...

Oh man, this site should really be renamed in RockArchives
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2010 at 14:58
^ Why? It's not like there's someone rushing to add the Byrds or Bob Dylan just because someone is suggesting them. 
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2010 at 15:31
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Innovative is not necesarilly Prog, the fusion of Rock with country was huge in those years, if that was the case, artists as Donovan, Cat Stevens or even Johnny Cash would have to be here, because they clearly blended Rock with Folk

Of course the rock/country-fusion was huge, but the Byrds were - according to Wikipedia and other sources - the first ones.
As well, country and folk weren't my only examples. When one listens to "Notorious Byrd Brothers" there are many other genres to be found: the ones that I mentioned before, and this all over the record.

They were rejected every time.

In my old thread  jimmy_row, clarke_2001, Alberto Munoz, Seyo, earlyprog and jammun  didn't reject The Byrds.  Logan, debrewguy, Chicapah and Atkingani weren't really sure.  Ivan rejected them.

Is this really a "rejected every time"?

BTW: I know you like them, that's not an argument,

I know. Wink That is why I also didn't use this as an argument, but as an explanation.
After having read my text I felt that one could understand it like I was only wanting to discuss about any topic, or that the purpose of my discussion was the discussion itself and not the result.

And this isn't the case - just like it (in my opinion) isn't the case that the Byrds influenced bands that influenced Proto Prog which then influenced Progressive Rock.Wink
The other Prog pages don't list them, but why not be the first one (only if others perhaps think similar Wink).

Let's see what Easy Livin' defined as Proto Prog somewhere:

Rock Bands in existence prior to 1969 that influenced the development of progressive rock. The late 60's was a predominately experimental period for music. These bands were moving in a stream that eventually led to prog. The influence could have come from new sophisticated forms of writing and playing music, recording techniques, new instruments and vocal harmonies to name a few. Some of these bands became progressive rock bands themselves others did not.

Easy Livin thought the Byrds wouldn't fit, but let's see there:
The Byrds were one of the experimental bands from before 1969 who wrote sophisticated lyrics, first introduced airy soundscapes and complex vocal harmonies - just like complex band arrangements especially from 1965 to 1968.
Later they didn't become a progressive rock band.

I don't see a problem here. Wink

Then why inisist in adding a band that may or may not influenced Prog, when there are hundreds of full Progressive Rock bands still waiting to be added?

Because I see the Byrds as the first band in rock history to have introduced the fusion of different genres, i.e.: rock, pop, jazz, blues, electronic music, country, classical music, Asian music and psychedelia/acid while they also were pioneers of psychedelia and electronic music.

This is the reason why I support an introduction to the PA and I think that these points of mine can be proved well with the music (see my first post), i.e. they aren't invented by me in order to make a non-prog band a prog band.

Of course innovation isn't the same as prog, but musicologists know that a major part of the progressive rock music's characteristics is the fusion of different genres.  And I don't know any older band who fusioned genres as much and as revolutionarily as the Byrds.

Let's see what others say and if I am the only one amongst 15 I will (of course) shut up. Smile
There is not more that I can say, so let's see. Wink

Edited by Einsetumadur - April 12 2010 at 15:56
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2010 at 15:58
Ivan didn't rejected them, Proto Prog and Prog Related are approved or rejected exclusively  by the Administrators, I only have 25% of decision in Symphonic bands and no decision in Proto Prog, so whoever told you I rejected them is wrong.

Jimmy_row, clarke_2001, Alberto Munoz, Seyo, earlyprog and jammun  don't have decision in Proto Prog either.

If they were suggested four times and not added..............They were rejected, that's the only conclusion, the system is simple, if a band ois accepted by PR or PP, it's informed, if four previous threads dies and even locked, they were not accepted.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - April 12 2010 at 16:04

akin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2010 at 16:51

Embryonary state. Yep, this is the case.

You are going one or two steps back Proto Prog or Prog in embryonary state, that's the further we can go, our limit, The Byrds are a step before Proto Prog and that's out of our competence, if not we could have to add Chuck Berry because he influenced all Rock and even Stravisnky as many ask.

Thousands of bands performed between 1964 and 1972 (Even when the limits of Proto are around 1967 and 1969), and that doesn't make them suitable for PA.

Of course.
In the case of the Byrds:  innovation concerning psychedelic rock (before the Beatles!),  fusion of rock with country, baroque elements, jazz, electronic music and folk:  and all that as pioneer work or at least innovative work.

The Byrds chose another path.  Still, they invented many innovations and thus - at least that's the way me and my humble opinion would see it Smile - "no Prog site can ignore them" (although many do). Wink

And because of that I see a little contradiction of your guideline compared to your latest statement:

There's no contradiction, I see no Prog connection,. yes they influenced Proto Prog (when the requirement is toi have influenced Progressive Rock), but no more than they influenced all Rock, Folk and Psyche bands that are not here.

If the band has 40 + years, has been rejected at least in four different ocasions, and released no new album that could define them as Prog, there's no need to suggest them again.

(Of course one can persuade me that I am wrong with this opinion, then I won't get on anyone's nerves anymore,  but as the Byrds fit totally the description of "Proto Prog" of the Progarchives and as I haven't read any dashing point against the Byrds' inclusion I still think that there is (at least a slight) need of discussion regarding this topic. Smile I like this band very much and also do appreciate them very much from the prog point of view.

Don't get the first par of your reply, the several times rejected argument is widely used here because:
  1. The Byrds are famous, so very few here ignore they work, they are not an obscure band that could have been lost in time.
  2. They have been suggested several times
  3. They been debated several times
  4. Three Administrators (who decide PP bands said no)
  5. Almost no (if any) Prog site has them included and that's also a reference
  6. They were rejected every time.

BTW: I know you like them, that's not an argument, I like Meatloaf (who has been suggested) but would never ask his inclusion despite the operatic characteristics oif his Wagnerian Rock, because their relation with Prog Related is doubious,

I also suggested The Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band ONE TIME and even when I strongly disagree with their rejection, I accepted the decision.

This is Prog Archives, lets focus in Prog bands not in bands that influenced bands that bands that may have influenced Proto Prog bands.

Iván

I agree completely with your notion that a band that:

- Its work is completely well-known;
- Isn't new and has not released anything new or different from what they have released before.

Should either be added in the site as a no-brainer in the beginning of the site or not be added at all.

The problem is that PA doesn't agree with that and I have seem many, many bands being added in the last 6 years, most of them controversial, disrespecting this logic. How many bands were never recognized as prog and, after extensive discussion and insistence, were added? That is why it is hard to explain people suggesting new additions like Byrds that they don't make sense, tough they were experimental, innovative, etc.
seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2010 at 17:51
Folk-rock -> psychedelic-rock -> raga-rock -> space-rock -> electronica -> country-rock. Innovative use of Moog synthesizer, studio techniques, sci-fi lyrics... not progressive?

I'm afraid the support of one ordinary member won't help your cause Max, but I hear what you're saying buddy. Let's face it, The Byrds ain't getting in. However, The Notorious Byrd Brothers is a progressive album in the truest sense. Ironically enough, a Crosby song that was rejected for inclusion on this album found its way onto Crown Of Creation.

For some reason The Byrds seem to have been a much greater influence on indie-type of bands than prog acts, in my experience. Completely irrelevent but just thought I'd mention it. 

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2010 at 09:22
Originally posted by akin akin wrote:

I agree completely with your notion that a band that:

- Its work is completely well-known;
- Isn't new and has not released anything new or different from what they have released before.

Should either be added in the site as a no-brainer in the beginning of the site or not be added at all.

The problem is that PA doesn't agree with that and I have seem many, many bands being added in the last 6 years, most of them controversial, disrespecting this logic. How many bands were never recognized as prog and, after extensive discussion and insistence, were added? That is why it is hard to explain people suggesting new additions like Byrds that they don't make sense, tough they were experimental, innovative, etc.

Probably I am getting something wrong with the purpose of the Prog Archives.

What I took for granted:
I thought that the Progarchives intend to include every progressive / proto-progressive rock band into the archives to give the visitor an overview of this genre - from the heydays until today.
I took for granted that the PA have some kind of historical interest in Prog.

What is the case rather:
If it is more important that the band is either new or not very-well known, that means:  if the Progarchives want to support, rate and review unknown or new bands (something which is of course very important) The Byrds aren't correct here.

Suggestions how to avoid senseless discussions:

Clear explanations that too popular bands are useless to be included:
But if this is the case I would recommend that this is written down clearly somewhere, perhaps in a thread with guidelines which credentials a band has to fulfill.
The texts written down in the guidelines and in the genre categories suggest a liberal "any prog band please come in" attitude.

If this is expressed clearly I think that not many people will go on suggesting bands which don't fit the PA's philosophy - and therefore there would be less discussions.
Of course I think it's a pity that the music history dimension isn't that important, but at this place there is nothing I could change or should change. Wink

and:

The  READ FIRST - BANDS to add list  thread is totally chaotic and doesn't help anyone.
A thread which is updated regularly where rejected bands are written down alphabetically sorted
would be useful. Such a thread would make people stop proposing bands too often.
If they do in spite of that one can delete the thread quickly and refer to this rejection thread as a justification for the deletion.

Edited by Einsetumadur - April 13 2010 at 09:32
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2010 at 09:48
It's complete rubbish that too popular bands cannot be added Shocked

I'm confident this is not official PA policy.
Alberto Muñoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2010 at 09:57
I support again the inclusion of The Byrds.

Eight Miles High have been recorded by full prog bands one example is Golden Earring.

i know that is not an argument, but i think that PA have that slicy edge to know what band have the proto prog influence and what band no.

Alberto Muñoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2010 at 10:00

Ivan didn't rejected them, Proto Prog and Prog Related are approved or rejected exclusively  by the Administrators, I only have 25% of decision in Symphonic bands and no decision in Proto Prog, so whoever told you I rejected them is wrong.

Jimmy_row, clarke_2001, Alberto Munoz, Seyo, earlyprog and jammun  don't have decision in Proto Prog either.

If they were suggested four times and not added..............They were rejected, that's the only conclusion, the system is simple, if a band ois accepted by PR or PP, it's informed, if four previous threads dies and even locked, they were not accepted.

Iván

Thanks Ivan for reminding us that we have no vote in PP...LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2010 at 10:31

What I took for granted:
I thought that the Progarchives intend to include every progressive / proto-progressive rock band into the archives to give the visitor an overview of this genre - from the heydays until today.
I took for granted that the PA have some kind of historical interest in Prog.

The problem is that to avoid the addition of bands with small relation were added anthe administrators decided to be more careful with wich bands should be added, so that ONLY bands that DIRECTLY and BEYOND doubt influenced Progressive Rock were added
Maybvbe you haven't noticed, but many people want to addc bands that they want to review here, no matter they are not DIRECTLY related with Progressive Rock, some with the excuse "It's good music and that's enough".

The history must be preserved, but the real history.

What is the case rather:
If it is more important that the band is either new or not very-well known, that means:  if the Progarchives want to support, rate and review unknown or new bands (something which is of course very important) The Byrds aren't correct here.

That's a "Reductio ad Absurdum", the importance or obscurity of the band has nothing to do with the addition or not of the  band, but theoir direct influence over Progressive Rock, names as The Beatles, The Who, The Doors, etc have been added to Proto Prog and they are at leastas important as The Byrds if not more.

The argument of well known bands is simple:
  1. Most likely the oldest  bands not added are small forghotten ones, because people hardly know them, I remember adding "Sonic Youth" (Despite my dislike for Phil Collins) because they were a band that had clear Proto Prog characteristics and was approved by the administrators..
  2. The well known Prog or Proto Prog bands are most likely added, because people know hem well
  3. If they release a new Prog album, that would be a good reason to add them
  4. But if a well known band has been wronfully ignoied will probably be added, even when oit's not a common situation

And unknown bands as The Bonzo Dog Band have been rejected 

Suggestions how to avoid senseless discussions:

Clear explanations that too popular bands are useless to be included:
But if this is the case I would recommend that this is written down clearly somewhere, perhaps in a thread with guidelines which credentials a band has to fulfill.
The texts written down in the guidelines and in the genre categories suggest a liberal "any prog band please come in" attitude.

If this is expressed clearly I think that not many people will go on suggesting bands which don't fit the PA's philosophy - and therefore there would be less discussions.
Of course I think it's a pity that the music history dimension isn't that important, but at this place there is nothing I could change or should change. Wink 

Sadly we (Or nobody to be honest), has a carved in stone definition of Prog, not even genres, we have 22, Progressor has three basic if I'm not wrong and Proggnosis has more than 100, so we have to learn to work with vague definitions and rely in our experience a bit more.

The  READ FIRST - BANDS to add list  thread is totally chaotic and doesn't help anyone.
A thread which is updated regularly where rejected bands are written down alphabetically sorted
would be useful. Such a thread would make people stop proposing bands too often.
If they do in spite of that one can delete the thread quickly and refer to this rejection thread as a justification for the deletion.

Yes, it would be ideal to have a perfect list, I've cleaned the Bands to be added list from supposedly "Symphonic bands" and we added only 2 out of 24 suggested, but people here work for free, and we have to accept what people can freely do.

We have our limits and we have to work with them, but making a search changing last six months for anydate, will provide you a full list of threads about a determined band.

Keep Proggin'

Iván

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2010 at 10:33
Originally posted by Alberto Muñoz Alberto Muñoz wrote:

Iván

Thanks Ivan for reminding us that we have no vote in PP...LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

LOL: just was correcting the statement that I rejected The Byrds and you acceped them, when neither you or me have that capacity. LOL

Iván

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2010 at 10:35
Why not? They have a bit of psychedelia, long ballads, guitar riffs (and that nice 12-strings Rickenbacker). What do they have less than Moody Blues or Grateful Dead? (are Grateful Dead on PA? I don't remember).

I vote for them in proto-prog 
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2010 at 10:54

The problem is that to avoid the addition of bands with small relation were added anthe administrators decided to be more careful with wich bands should be added, so that ONLY bands that DIRECTLY and BEYOND doubt influenced Progressive Rock were added

Most likely the oldest  bands not added are small forghotten ones, because people hardly know them, I remember adding "Sonic Youth" (Despite my dislike for Phil Collins) because they were a band that had clear Proto Prog characteristics and was approved by the administrators..

I would be glad if you could explain what you mean because there I feel there's a contradiction.

In the first sentence you argue that a proto prog band which can be added must have influenced progressive rock.

In the second sentence you argue that proto prog bands can be added when they are small and forgotten - although Sonic Youth surely weren't an influential band in prog history.

What I believe is that there is no clear rule of which band may be introduced and which not - something that you also admit.

"Rely in our experience" is not a bit objective or logical and I don't know why one should "live with these conditions" because there allegedly is no solution.
The solution is that an administrator writes down a clear definition and the decisions are made by comparing a band to these standards.

A question out of interest:  how many albums do you know by The Byrds?

Anyway...
What I suggest:

Is it possible to add a poll where everyone can decide: Byrds Yes or No?
Before participating everyone should have listened to 2 or 3 Youtube videos of the Byrds and should have read the few lines about the band which I have written about it.

I know: there has been a poll already, but I believe that The Byrds aren't as popular as one would believe them to be.  When I read things like ""Ballad of Easy Rider" is just folk => reject" or even opinions like ""Eight Miles High" is perfect prog => include" I know that there could be some details missing to really understand this band and have a fair and adequate opinion about it. Smile

Edited by Einsetumadur - April 13 2010 at 11:03
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2010 at 12:04

Most likely the oldest bands not added are small forghotten ones, because people hardly know them, I remember adding "Sonic Youth" (Despite my dislike for Phil Collins) because they were a band that had clear Proto Prog characteristics and was approved by the administrators..

I would be glad if you could explain what you mean because there I feel there's a contradiction.

In the first sentence you argue that a proto prog band which can be added must have influenced progressive rock.

In the second sentence you argue that proto prog bands can be added when they are small and forgotten - although Sonic Youth surely weren't an influential band in prog history.

Please don't change my words

1.- I said that The Byrds are well known, and influenced Rock, Folk & Psyche, maybe influenced some Proto Prog artists, not Progressive Rock artists, and that's not enough for me and apparently not for the Administrators

2.- Sonic Youth are not as well known, surely they are not as influential for Rock and Folk as The Byrds, but they influenced Prog, they are mentioned by several bands, and even more, they present some SYMPHONIC elements in their music, what makes them Proto Prog by own right...I believed this, so I suggested them, the Administrators agreed, Sonic Youth was approved

What I believe is that there is no clear rule of which band may be introduced and which not - something that you also admit.

"Rely in our experience" is not a bit objective or logical and I don't know why one should "live with these conditions" because there allegedly is no solution.
The solution is that an administrator writes down a clear definition and the decisions are made by comparing a band to these standards.

I will tell you a bit about the story of Prog Archives:

1.- hen we joined, only M@X and Ronnie could add bands and bios, it was slow and inefficient.

2.- The owners created some rules and opened the doors for everybody to add bands, it was a disaster, people wiped their butts with the rules and added their favourite bands, what was worst, due to the policy of the site, bands wrongly added and with reviews can't be deleted

3.- The teams were created, they placed their own guidelines, and work based in plurality of equal votes, even more when a band is problematic or contradictory, we ask to the Collaborators (We started asking to the open forums, but nobody cared), the system has worked pretty well without strong rules.

We don't rely in a one man experience, we rely in the team experience and if necessary in the Collaborators experience

A question out of interest: how many albums do you know by The Byrds?

As a fact I believe only don't have the last three (Birdmania, Father Along and Byrds) I already had lost the interest in them by thatpoint.

Anyway...
What I suggest:

Is it possible to add a poll where everyone can decide: Byrds Yes or No?
Before participating everyone should have listened to 2 or 3 Youtube videos of the Byrds and should have read the few lines about the band which I have written about it.

Doesn't work, we have proved it and it's a mess. People start to alter the votes, add new users (we found members with two or three users), we seen that, the responsability must rely on a team, and which better than the Administrators, who not only appreciate the band, but also the poilicy of the site and are in cointact with the owners.

I know: there has been a poll already, but I believe that The Byrds aren't as popular as one would believe them to be. When I read things like ""Ballad of Easy Rider" is just folk => reject" or even opinions like ""Eight Miles High" is perfect prog => include" I know that there could be some details missing to really understand this band and have a fair and adequate opinion about it.

That's the problem with polls, some people will take a mature decision, others will add the band they love no matter what happens and we don't know what guided the decision.

I seen people so inmature that come here to give 5 stars to their favorite band and give one star to all the rest in order to alter the average.

Proto Prog and Prog Related are controversial, let the Administrators decide.

Iván

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>