Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhen were you infected by Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 25>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2010 at 12:11
I have a different angle....back in the very early 70's for me it was not a "rock" artist. I was into funk/funkadelic and hard core R&B. I have always felt funkadelic was the soul music reply to psychadelic rock. Groups like Parliament, Earth Wind & Fire, Bootsy Collins....who were stretching the music all over the place. But what I liked most was long songs that these artists were making....I also liked Zeppelin, because they are a blues band with attitude and their harder songs got me exploring other rock artists.

1974...Then I saw the album cover for Rush Fly By Night...it was cool, I bought it (mom did actually) I was about 9yrs old....and have never looked back since then. I knew about Yes, PF and Genesis during that time but it was Rush with By Tor that got me where I am today.
So I have to say it was not the word or genre of Prog....but rather my love for long songs and the structure that made them interesting to me.
missinglink07 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2010 at 14:19
It was a few years back, maybe i was 13 or 14... at the time I was just starting to develop a musical taste of my own, settling mostly on classic rock, except for my affinity R.E.M. There were two events, however, that led to my prog addiction that has yet to quit.

First, as part of my classic rock collection, I had a few Kansas albums. I was on wikipedia one day, and I saw that they were a "progressive rock" band (whatever that meant). So i read about the genre and found out I already liked a bunch of other prog bands, like Rush and Jethro Tull. So I began to explore more of their music.

Second, and more importantly, I was over at my friends house one day, and he wanted to show me a crazy song he found. That song turned out to be "The Gates of Delirium" by Yes. I was blown away at the idea of an "epic" song, especially one that epic. So I began to explore more of Yes and any other classic band with a 20 minute song to their name.

So here I am now, age 17, with a collection of Prog Rock about a week long (if I were to listen nonstop), ranging from classics like Yes and Jethro Tull to some buried treasures, like Happy the Man and Yezda Urfa.

Edited by missinglink07 - April 15 2010 at 14:19
yanch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2010 at 14:20
I was a freshman in high school, a big Beatles fan when a friend handed me Thick as a Brick, said, "listen to this in one sitting and tell me what you think." I did as instructed, 4 times in a row! It changed my entire view of music. From there I started exploring more-heard a cover band do an amazing version of Watcher of the Skies, bought all the early Genesis albums. Saw excerpts from Yessongs on Don Kirschner's Rock Concert, bought the album and CTTE. Realized that one of our local radio station used part of Karn Evil 9 as an intro.....you get the idea! I became sponge, soaking in every prog band I could, going to every concert I could!  

Edited by yanch - April 15 2010 at 14:21
progpositivity View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2010 at 18:25
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I have a different angle....back in the very early 70's for me it was not a "rock" artist. I was into funk/funkadelic and hard core R&B. I have always felt funkadelic was the soul music reply to psychadelic rock. Groups like Parliament, Earth Wind & Fire, Bootsy Collins....who were stretching the music all over the place. But what I liked most was long songs that these artists were making....I also liked Zeppelin, because they are a blues band with attitude and their harder songs got me exploring other rock artists.

1974...Then I saw the album cover for Rush Fly By Night...it was cool, I bought it (mom did actually) I was about 9yrs old....and have never looked back since then. I knew about Yes, PF and Genesis during that time but it was Rush with By Tor that got me where I am today.
So I have to say it was not the word or genre of Prog....but rather my love for long songs and the structure that made them interesting to me.

This is fascinating to me.   If I'm reading this correctly, Catcher10, at the young age of 8, you were already getting into really long songs and felt funkadelic was the soul music reply to psychedelic rock?  You were destined to be a progger for sure! 

I don't think I was even cognizant of such sub-genres at the age of 8.  I'm pretty sure I was thinking in very broad terms like "pop", "rock", "country" and "soul" if I was even thinking about genres at all. 
Positively the best Prog and Fusion 24/7!
http://www.progpositivity.com
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2010 at 18:27
Originally posted by yanch yanch wrote:

I was a freshman in high school, a big Beatles fan when a friend handed me Thick as a Brick, said, "listen to this in one sitting and tell me what you think." I did as instructed, 4 times in a row! It changed my entire view of music.   

So yanch... It seems that Prog hit you like a ton of BricksBig smile
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2010 at 18:29
Originally posted by missinglink07 missinglink07 wrote:

So here I am now, age 17, with a collection of Prog Rock about a week long (if I were to listen nonstop), ranging from classics like Yes and Jethro Tull to some buried treasures, like Happy the Man and Yezda Urfa.

Missinglink07...  If you are into Happy the Man and Yezda Urfa, then you certainly are already into Gentle Giant.  Is that correct? 
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2010 at 18:35
Dark Side of the Moon, at around 14-15.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2010 at 18:43
Originally posted by The Wrinkler The Wrinkler wrote:

... Pink Floyd. I still remember, but could never get that same feeling again, listening to Dark Side of the Moon. It was so different, I was blown away

Very interesting.  Since then, have you experienced anything similar when hearing new bands.  Or was this a singular event...  a kind of magical moment that only comes along a few times in a lifetime? 

I'm not sure but I think I may have experienced something similar (but not quite as intense perhaps) the night when I first heard YES.  It was the song "Arriving UFO" and I heard it on headphones while listening to an album rock radio station in my teens. 

Originally posted by The Wrinkler The Wrinkler wrote:

Greatest thing to happen to me this week was FINALLY appreciating VdGG. I didn't quite get Pawn Heart's epic, Plague of Lighthouse Keepers, but when it bit me, I was hooked. Moving on to H to HE now, and find the album hard to get into, but fun when I'm in the right mood for it. 

Cool!  It was worth the wait wasn't it? 
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2010 at 18:58
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

my first exposure was seeing that sci--fi cover of Tarkus when I was about 9 in my buddy's Dad's LP collection and being immediately drawn to it.  Didn't understand the music but loved the imagery.  Then a couple years later I saw Hemispheres at a record store and bought it.  Again I was primarily drawn by the images and fantasy atmosphere,

Atavachron,

So at the young age of 9, it was the album cover rtwork that first caught your attention with Tarkus... and then the album cover artwork again that caught your eye with Hemispheres!  Very cool! 

Quick question:  As an adult, would you consider yourself an "appreciator" of the visual arts?  Well, almost everyone is somewhat into visual art, but I mean do you consider yourself more interested than the casual or average appreciator of the visual arts?

The reason I ask:   Have you ever heard of the ongoing documentary series named 7 Up (directed by Michael Apted)?  Every 7 years, they interviewed participants (age 7, 14, 21, 28...)  I think they have made it to 49... 

At age 7, there are so many instances when the viewer can already see values and aesthetics that set the young person's course for decades to come.  So it has me wondering whether that is the case with you as well.  Perhaps not?  Just wondering...
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2010 at 19:06
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

I would have to say it was my big brother.  When I was about 8 or so, I remember being on vacation and him playing me "Several species of small furry animals gathered together....."    Big smile

Wow!  How did that first contact strike you?  Was it a positive experience?  As much as I like that song now, if it had been hoisted upon me at age 8, I'm not entirely sure I wouldn't have put my hands over my ears and departed from the room while screaming!  LOL

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

First real experience was simply falling for "Roundabout" on the radio and finally buying "Fragile."

Fragile felt very 'disjointed' to me - as far as "albums" go.  Greatness - but disjointed greatness.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2010 at 19:10
Originally posted by ProgressiveAttic ProgressiveAttic wrote:

when I was 13 and took The Dark Side of the Moon from my father's collection and was so impressed that I listened to it twice and went to grab some more albums, in this exact order: In The Court of the Crimson King (which I listened to 4 times in a row), ELP's Trilogy (another one I listened 3 times) and Yes' Relayer (which I listened 5 times).

And it was all downhill from there.  Wink

Just kidding - but man alive!  ProgressiveAttic, you managed to launch right out of the gate with some of the greatest classics of all time!   Clap

And to think I got started by stumbling onto Yes' Tormato and Alan Parsons Projects' Pyramid!  I feel cheatedOuch
ProgressiveAttic View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2010 at 22:49
Originally posted by progpositivity progpositivity wrote:

Originally posted by ProgressiveAttic ProgressiveAttic wrote:

when I was 13 and took The Dark Side of the Moon from my father's collection and was so impressed that I listened to it twice and went to grab some more albums, in this exact order: In The Court of the Crimson King (which I listened to 4 times in a row), ELP's Trilogy (another one I listened 3 times) and Yes' Relayer (which I listened 5 times).

And it was all downhill from there.  Wink

Just kidding - but man alive!  ProgressiveAttic, you managed to launch right out of the gate with some of the greatest classics of all time!   Clap

And to think I got started by stumbling onto Yes' Tormato and Alan Parsons Projects' Pyramid!  I feel cheatedOuch

well... as I said before, my father is a prog fan and I grew up listening to those albums! that is what I call good luck!
Michael's Sonic Kaleidoscope Mondays 5:00pm EST(re-runs Thursdays 3:00pm) @ Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio(http://www.deliciousagony.com)

kole View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 01:08
As many, I started developing my music taste with classic rock. I think I was around 14. Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Pink Floyd (they were a classic rock band to me at that time), Led Zeppelin, The Who, The Doors, AC/DC, Santana, The Kinks, Jethro Tull... they were all classic rock bands to me. After a year or so, I started to digg jazz. My dad is a big jazzer, and an audiofil, and jazz (and classical music, mostly) was always on his stereo. But it still missed something, that jazz. It was... I don't know, too boring, too... can't find the word. So I asked dad, if he knew any band that mixed jazz and rock. He replied with a loud yes, starting with Weather Report, continuing with Mahavishnu Orchestra and Return to Forever and finishing with Gong (he described them as a crazy-ass weird-sounds band). I youtubed Weather Report, of course clicked on the first link, that was Birdland and... I was stunned. As many of others before me said, it was magical. I immediately downloaded their whole discography and continued with other mentioned bands. After that, I started to download jazz fusion albums like crazy. Through Gong, I discovered Canterbury scene, downloaded a few albums, and was again stunned. And later on, I discovered that Canterbury scene is a part of a major rock subgenre, progressive rock. So, as many before me, I became a prog sponge. At 17/18, I had already listened to a whole lot of prog music, and was enjoying every part of it. So I truly got into prog rock genre through jazz fusion and Gong, if I remember correctly.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 02:07
Originally posted by progpositivity progpositivity wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

my first exposure was seeing that sci--fi cover of Tarkus when I was about 9 in my buddy's Dad's LP collection and being immediately drawn to it.  Didn't understand the music but loved the imagery.  Then a couple years later I saw Hemispheres at a record store and bought it.  Again I was primarily drawn by the images and fantasy atmosphere,
 Atavachron,
 So at the young age of 9, it was the album cover artwork that first caught your attention with Tarkus... and then the album cover artwork again that caught your eye with Hemispheres!  Very cool!

Quick question:  As an adult, would you consider yourself an "appreciator" of the visual arts?  Well, almost everyone is somewhat into visual art, but I mean do you consider yourself more interested than the casual or average appreciator of the visual arts?

- I don't know if I'd say 'more interested' but I was drawn to visual mediums well before I got into music

The reason I ask:   Have you ever heard of the ongoing documentary series named 7 Up (directed by Michael Apted)?  Every 7 years, they interviewed participants (age 7, 14, 21, 28...)  I think they have made it to 49...  At age 7, there are so many instances when the viewer can already see values and aesthetics that set the young person's course for decades to come.  So it has me wondering whether that is the case with you as well.  Perhaps not?  Just wondering...

- well yes I think early exposure certainly impacts your course, I was also fortunate to have grown up in the 1970s which was such a great time for music (and film as well)

Tursake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 02:46
About a year ago when I first started listening to Pink Floyd Thumbs Up

Last.fm: TursakeX
RYM: Tursake
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 02:51
 ^ what was your first album?
ozzy_tom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 04:57
When I was about 13th year old I started to listen good old 70' hard rock like Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Rainbow. A bit later also Judas Priest and Nazareth. But definituve moment when I've started listen to prog-rock was the 1st year of University when one of my friend (guitarist anyway) introduced me Pink Floyd. He also said about "Yes" that they played prog rock...but so weird that he doesn't like it (in fact I like Yes much mroe than PF now!). At the same time another firiend gave me to listen Uriah Heep "best" album. I really dig this Hammonds in July Morning, Gypsy, Look at yourself etc.
Later I listened to Colosseum "Valentyne Suite" and early "the Nice" albums...and that time was already sunk by prog rock until these days :-). So about 6-7 years of prog-rock facination Big smile
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 05:29
Originally posted by scaife scaife wrote:

The year was 1981. I was a rather impressionable 13 year old. Phil Collins was topping the charts with Face Value. I went to a local flea market to get a copy, but they were sold out. The guy behind the counter suggested a Genesis album, ...And Then There Were Three, which featured Phil. Not wanting to go home empty handed, I bought it. Listened to the first track, Down And Out, and was convinced that the record was skipping, so I brought it back to the market. The guy then explained to me the concept of 5/4 time (which Down And Out was). It was like a lightbulb went off in my head. I then proceeded to explore more music by Genesis and the rest is history. 2 years later, Owner Of A Lonely Heart came out and I remember loving the guitar solo, so I went out to buy 90125. I also found a copy of Classic Yes with the superb Roger Dean cover art (still my favourite of his to this day). When I put  Heart Of The Sunrise on for the first time, I was totally blown  away by what I heard. From then on, prog was my music of choice.

A great and familar story 'And then there were three' was one of the first Genesis albums I bought. I remember clearly thinking 'Down and Out' was in an odd time signature, but I didn't know what. A more musically literate friend of mine told me how to count time and explained it was in 5/4.

I used to play that album to everyone who came around my house. I couldn't understand anyone not liking it, but the comment "It sounds like the record is jumping" became the response of just about everyone I played 'Down and Out' to.

Anyway, the first prog I ever heard was 'The Wall' by Floyd. I was 12 years old (1982), and had no idea what prog was. Two years later I was introduced to Marillion and Rush by a fellow rock fan who thought my tastes needed broadening beyond Saxon and Motorhead. He was right, although as I progged up he became a thrash metal addict and refused to listen to anything with a keyboard in it again! I then heard Mama by Genesis on the radio, bought Genesis, ATTWT, ATOTT and the rest is history..
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 05:59
In the mid 1970s I was into heavy rock in a big way (looking back, the first album I bought was 'The Best Of Uriah Heep'), & I was berating my sister's boyfriend (later to be my brother in law) at his collection of soul albums - I asked him if he had anything 'heavy' so he lent me 2 albums...

Dark Side Of The Moon
Genesis Live (turned out he'd seen Genesis on the Foxtrot & Selling England.. tours)

Cue Damascene moment!

A couple of years later I was at Earls Court, London for the first UK performance of 'The Wall'

Edited by Jim Garten - April 16 2010 at 06:16

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 07:12
I had my first stereo in 1975. Before then I had access only to the mainstream radio and few other things. I was mainly in british blues revival (Mayall, Animals) and country rock (Arlo Guthrie, CSN&Y), but the first album I have purchased was "The dark side of the moon" listened at a friend's home. So my second was Atom Heart Mother. It's when my passion for symphonic epics started and exactly where I am from. Of course, my 3rd album was Meddle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 25>