Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhen were you infected by Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 25>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2012 at 11:38
Pink Floyd have been my favorite band since I was super young and I grew up liking a lot of kinda proto-prog and psychedelic stuff, wasn't until high school that I was shown In The Court. Heard the title track once and that was it. My soul danced for joy from the magic music, and I began the neverending quest for prog and more prog.
Myke_P View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2012 at 19:59
I was infected by Progressive Rock when I was in my mother's womb, My father played plenty of Yes, ELP, Automatic Man and more!!!! and when I entered the world, He played ELP's Tarkus!!! and for 28 years and counting, Tarkus is a masterpiece that will always be with me!!!
Myke P was here.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2012 at 01:48
Without disecting the gene-pool and psychological traits of the family-tree, I'd say somewhere around the mid-80's for me (born in '72)........My sis listening to Genesis' self-titled album of 1983 made me curious about this band and its style of music.  Then Floyd.  Same old story.......By the way, Genesis' album from 1983 really is impressive on many levels, a cut above 'regular'  commercial dross (not to say some parts of it aren't 'commercial'), but a decent amount of instrumental integrity is still intact, making it an interesting album (not a patch on the classic 70's albums of course...).  The rest was all KC, Magma, VDGG, Yes, Atomic Rooster.....then, Refugee, The Nice, Asia, Buggles, Kansas, Journey, Styx, then Arthur Brown, Sabbath, Purple, Amon Duul II, Tangerine Dream, Can, Kraftwerk, Eloy, P.F.M......................................then you all know how the story goes....................(this is by 1993 from memory...).  With Prog, the sky is NEVER the limit........
xentagz View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2012 at 08:01
When i saw The Aurora Project live for the first time.
In Holland @The Boerderij.

Band website: WWW.THEAURORAPROJECT.COM  SmileSmileSmile
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2012 at 20:15
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Without disecting the gene-pool and psychological traits of the family-tree, I'd say somewhere around the mid-80's for me (born in '72)........My sis listening to Genesis' self-titled album of 1983 made me curious about this band and its style of music.  Then Floyd.  Same old story.......By the way, Genesis' album from 1983 really is impressive on many levels, a cut above 'regular'  commercial dross (not to say some parts of it aren't 'commercial'), but a decent amount of instrumental integrity is still intact, making it an interesting album (not a patch on the classic 70's albums of course...).  The rest was all KC, Magma, VDGG, Yes, Atomic Rooster.....then, Refugee, The Nice, Asia, Buggles, Kansas, Journey, Styx, then Arthur Brown, Sabbath, Purple, Amon Duul II, Tangerine Dream, Can, Kraftwerk, Eloy, P.F.M......................................then you all know how the story goes....................(this is by 1993 from memory...).  With Prog, the sky is NEVER the limit........

That's a nice story Tom. And I to love Genesis 1983. Love both HOME BY THE SEA parts. It's excellent.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2012 at 20:20
You know it's funny that when prog effected me at 15, I didn't buy my first prog album till I was 17. Why did I wait 2 years? What a crazy kid I was.
Oasis196 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2012 at 21:42
It was the late 1970s.

I heard a song, which I need your help with...it was  on a mix tape a buddy gave me.  On the Tape was Pinball Wizard, Closer to the Heart and this other song.

Here is what i remember:
1) It had a narative
2) It was classic rock sounding
3) A man was talking to a woman about leaving as guns and war sounds raced in the background.  The woman pleaded to the man not to leave...yet of coarse he left.

Estimated time that I had the tape: 1978 - 1980.

Any help would be appreciated!!
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2012 at 21:52
Wrong thread, man.

As for the song ... I still have no clue.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - December 07 2012 at 21:53
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2012 at 22:33
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

You know it's funny that when prog effected me at 15, I didn't buy my first prog album till I was 17. Why did I wait 2 years? What a crazy kid I was.
You didn't have a job, your parents didn't give you an allowance, and you didn't want to turn to a life of crime.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2012 at 10:35
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

You didn't have a job, your parents didn't give you an allowance, and you didn't want to turn to a life of crime.

Ha ha Nailed it!! Guess I should have begged more to get what I want, but I'm no beggar. I have too much dignity for that. Nobody likes a brat.
Wolfhound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2012 at 12:21
I think prog infected me at a very early age from my dad playing a lot of Frank Zappa on vinyl around the house. I've always had a taste for more eclectic music and long musical compositions. I was big into Pink Floyd when I was a teen and Sky Cries Mary was one of my favorite groups in the 90's and early 2000's so there was always something prog related that was significant in my musical tastes.
It's only in the last 6 months or so that I've really started to extensively explore the universe of prog and it's sub genres. Now it's something close to an addiction, but a good addiction.
mtdar View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2012 at 20:29
I've got to give my older brother credit for that one.  My first exposure was Rush - Moving Pictures.  My birthday present was to see them on the Grace Under Pressure tour.  A great gift indeed.  Thanks bro for introducing me to Rush and prog rock music.  Long live Prog!
Rushforever View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2012 at 03:50
Prog infected me 6 or 7 years ago with "La villa strangiato" - Rush.... and few months after with "A pleasant shade of grey" - Fates Warning.
Now... prog is one of my main foods Pig
mongoose126 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2012 at 05:14
I got infected by prog in 2006. I had just graduated from elementary school and I was still listening to what was on the radio. I've yet to develop an individual taste in music.
Although I've been listening to all kinds of music from a very early age, prog always stood out to me the most. There was something about the elements of prog that got to me.
I got into the works of Queen (I consider them somewhat progressive), listening to their music religiously, from their first album all the way to the last one. I noticed Queen was way more than Bohemian Rhapsody and Another One Bites the Dust.
But in 2007... that was the turning point. I began diving into the works of Pink Floyd. Growing up, I heard their usual songs (obvious hits as I call them), but it wasn't until middle school was where I began to really listen to the Floyd. I had a musical awakening. I was studiously listening to the Floyd and studying their history, from the Syd Barrett era to their Live 8 performance in 2005. I began listening to their back catalog and lesser-known songs. I began to appreciate every aspect of Pink Floyd, from the guitar of Syd and David Gilmour to the drumming, production, instrumentation, texture, Roger's lyrics, but one aspect stood out the most: Richard Wright's style and approach to keyboards.
Since that time, progressive rock did more than introduce me to different bands. It changed my perspectives and aesthetics to music. The ideas and concepts of prog introduced me to a completely different approach to how songs are made. It also showed me the way to discover experimental composers, most of which influenced prog one way or another.
Rastafari View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2012 at 13:42
Hmmm i got hooked , and i remember the date , August 22nd 1984 , saw Yes for the first time on their 9012live tour . I'm a big music fan but there is something about the progressive rock that just caught my ear. Been a fan ever since and keep discovering new stuff. Glad i found this site ! 
FordPrefect View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2012 at 16:32
Sorry if I've already told of my "infection" in some topic here... Embarrassed Anyway, I think I was 13 -in the middle of 80's- and I was following music lectures in the junior high school and our teacher introduced us different forms of rock music and played maybe two minutes "slice" of the beginning of Genesis' 'The lamb lies down on Broadway' and it was love at first hear! From then on I have mostly listened to progressive rock. Smile
Don't panic
ElectricPoetry View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2013 at 11:01
I first got into prog in about the year 2000... I was about 15 years old, in a band playing covers of bands such as Blink 182 Confused...and got into Prog by listening to Metropolis part 2: Scenes from a Memory by Dream Theater. Having just recently started to play the guitar, my Dad suggested giving Dream Theater a go..

I grew up with prog playing around the house as my Dad always listened to it... The good thing is that once I realised that this Prog Rock stuff was pretty good, I started listening to more of it and realised I already knew most of it subconsciously.

I am happy to say I've moved on from the days of covering Blink 182 songs and play in a Prog Rock band Big smile!!!
dbrozz View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2013 at 18:49
I began listening to Progressive music at the start of my highschool years, and it swiftly took over my best interests in music. I am now in my 20's and feel like I will continually search for more tasty prog for the rest of my life. 
My band is even taking off too!
kjprogger View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2013 at 19:06
My girlfriend in high school played Wind and Wuthering quite a few times and seriously, nothing stuck.  Nothing.  Then, one time during the slow passage in the middle of One for the Vine, it spoke to me!!!! And it changed the way I listened to music and changed my life. 
Long live prog!!  Amen!!
*frinspar* View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2013 at 00:07
My folks had lots of opera, classical, and musical soundtracks that they'd play all the time, and my mom served as a music appreciation teacher in school when they still cared about things like that. So I gained the ability to deal with complex compositions and themes early on.

Then the 80s hit, and since I was old enough to start making my own choices, I mostly got into new wave stuff. Something about the quirkiness of some of the bands appealed to me a lot. Not that I'd qualify any of that as prog, but I tended to be drawn to the more unique artists, although I have a serious desire to acquire as much new wave crap as I can now. And, hey, let's not forget the legitimacy Bozzio gave the genre. Wink
Oingo Boingo also became a lifetime favorite during those early years. My sister bought albums like "Abacab" and "Duke" by Genesis but she wanted them for just the pop stuff. I found I liked a lot of the rest of the songs as well and played them more than she did, but I didn't really explore older albums or bands until later.

A few more years passed, I branched out into metal, started hanging out with musicians who started really helping me reach back to the roots of prog, and I began looking forward to everything new. Still do.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 25>