FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBroken Social Scene

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Broken Social Scene
    Posted: May 26 2005 at 11:51

Do you listen to them? Great post-rockers who sounds like a mix between Cluster, Mogwai and Penguin Cafe Orchestra. Their album 'Feel Good Lost' is my favourite - a douzen of melodic and emotional instrumentals. At times minimalistic, at times complex.

If you know them, agree with me, if you don't, go check them out as fast as possible.

Poxx View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2005 at 13:16

What kind of moron would move this to Non-Prog Music. If mogwai is prog, then so is BSS. Period. Let me guess, its the lack of vocals that is the problem?

Uninformed biased forum moderator(s).

BSS is way more prog than Opeth, Marillion and Gryphon.

Bryan View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2005 at 20:36

Love BSS, but I wouldn't consider them prog.  They're such a versatile band that they do have some proggy moments, with many of their more atmospheric bits drifting into a post-rock kind of sound ("Anthems For a 17 Year Old Girl" especially, which has to be one of the most beautiful songs ever written), but overall they're really more of an indie rock band.  I'm certainly looking forward to their upcoming album though.

Also, as part of the admin group (albeit not the one who moved your thread), I would appreciate if you didn't insult us.  Thanks.

Edited by Useful_Idiot
Poxx View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2005 at 00:33

Yes, got a bit pissed about the arrogant way of dismissing a genuine topic. I think it would be in order to post a little message pointing out that it was moved and a reason why. 

They are not classic prog per se, but who are, in these times. They do show alot of the "symptoms" of prog - enough for me to consider them as prog. I respect your view on them regarding the genre, though.

I also like 'Anthems For Anthems For A Seventeen Year-Old Girl, and I suspect, that had it been a work of Dylan, Bowie, Sting or Prince it would have been a pop-rock classic and appreciated by many. The entire You Forgot It In People album is great, 'Pacific Theme' has such a great sound and is a nice indication of how rock is not dead, yet.

Post Reply Post Reply