FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEmerson and Lake Review Orpheum Theater LA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Emerson and Lake Review Orpheum Theater LA
    Posted: April 26 2010 at 14:55
I've seen Emerson Lake and Palmer, and I've seen Emerson Lake and Powell, and now I've seen Emerson and Lake.  I think I may have to rate this as one of my favorite shows of all of them.  Why?  Because they didn't play the stuff you would normally hear at a typical ELP show.  They did break out a couple of the standards: Pirates, and Lucky Man, but they dug down deep in the archives which only a true dedicated fan would appreciate.  There were a couple people who left that didn't seem to know anything that they were playing. This was not a show for the casual fan.   I don't have the whole setlist in my hand, but here are a few highlights for me; King Crimson's "I Talk To the Wind"-- Never in my life did I think I'd see this performed live. "Bitches Crystal"; Keith's left hand work on the keyboard never ceases to amaze me. How does he do it, and keep it up all night? There was a rousing version of "America" from Keith's old band "The Nice".   "The Barbarian" and "Take a Pebble" in it's entirity. Keith broke out the accordian for "C'est La Vie".  Of course Keith brought along the Moog in all it's glory and did a revised version of "Lucky Man" with a really cool Moog intro to the song.  They also had the Moog Cranked in volume.  Keyboardists like myself were in hog heaven taking in the extra fat analogue sounds. 
The stage was designed to be like a recording studio with a recording booth behind them, with someone back there looking like they were recording.  Hopefully they were. Both Keith and Greg alternated telling stories about recording, how they met, and a funny story about Leonard Bernstein who listened to them play Pirates in a studio session.  Keith advised Greg to stop smoking what he was smoking when Mr Bernstein arrived.  They also talked a little bit about Jimmy Hendrix and how they came close to having Jimmy as their guitarist and Mitch Mitchell as their drummer prior to meeting Carl Palmer.  Keith also mentioned that Jimmy Hendrix used to film Keith play with his own personal Super 8mm film camera. He wondered what happened to that footage.  Keith, I think we all are wondering that now too.
The show was divided up into 2 one hour sets.  The second set included a question and answer period where they turned the lights up in the audience and invited anyone that had a question to ask away.  Thankfully the questions weren't bad at all.  While mingling with the crowd prior and during the breaks, I had soon realized that most of the attendees were musicians, and I met some really cool folks, and I felt right at home.  From a Musician's standpoint, this is one for the books and a "not to be missed" for true ELP fans.  My only complaint would be the use of a drum machine on a few of the tunes.  I think  I would have much rather see a live drummer, even if it was a drummer keeping it simple with a 3 or 4 piece kit.

Edited by forte88 - April 26 2010 at 16:19
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2010 at 15:14
Thanks man!Clap
RoyFairbank View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2010 at 17:08
Sounds awesome, thank you for taking the time to review it for us Hug
Kojak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2010 at 17:56
These gigs are sounding really good. Cheers. Thumbs Up
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2010 at 18:48
This concert will always be personally special to me because Keith also dedicated Prelude to Hope to Stacy mentioning the relative of the Girl who was murdered in San Diego.  Stacy was completely blown away.

I think the set list (from memory)
From the Beginning
I Talk to the Wind
Bitches Crystal
The Barbarian
Take A Pebble
Tarkus
Intermission
Cest La Vie
Prelude to Hope And another piano piece I didn't catch the name of (Keith alone)
America/Rhondo
Pirates
Encore
Lucky Man (With a long intro by Keith on both the Moog and piano

Keith chose to play his piano sample mostly on his Korg with just touches of the Organ and other key samples. All in all a very enjoyable relaxed show.  They were very accessible and comfortable.  The good thing the nearly 2000 seat theater was just about full from where I was sitting.  Certainly the floor and mezzanine were not sure about the balcony.

Edited by Garion81 - April 26 2010 at 19:02

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
forte88 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2010 at 19:13
Originally posted by Garion81 Garion81 wrote:

.  The good thing the nearly 2000 seat theater was just about full from where I was sitting.  Certainly the floor and mezzanine were not sure about the balcony.
I was in the first row of the Balcony.  From what I saw, only the far corner edges of the balcony were empty.  It was mostly full. 
buck1110 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2010 at 13:34
Many thanks for the review and photo!  I agree about this being a special show - yes, it's a refreshing thing to hear different pieces of music than those traditionally played.  Also, seeing how Keith and Greg feed directly from each other musically is a revelation! 
I drove from Oklahoma City to the Colorado Springs show, which, unfortunately, was cancelled, although I was glad that Greg got to feeling better after being in the hospital overnight. 
Then I drove back to OKC (with a flat tire in the TX panhandle), worked Friday, and then drove to Dallas for 2 unbelievably wonderful shows (on 2 nights).  I had front row in front of Keith (with the meet and greet) on Friday, and I could almost touch his keyboard setup!  The Granada Theatre in Dallas is a wonderful venue, and it's very intimate.  So intimate, in fact, that the stone wall stage set would not fit onstage, so Keith and Greg were playing in very close proximity to one another and the audience, and that seemed to help them feed off each other, as well as the audience.  Keith spoke enthusiastically about the upcoming DVD set to be released next month.  He mentioned that some BSS and ELPowell concert footage would be included.
The second night was different enough to be notable: the improvisations were very inspired, and Keith tended to use a bit more "tack" in his Hammond sound, especially in "Barbarian" including some of the Rondo-esque windmill chop smears ("wow"s) when the chemistry was cooking.  
Both Keith and Greg came out afterwards and talked with those of us who waited outside.  They were having more fun than I'd seen them have in years.

Kojak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2010 at 02:29
Great review! Brilliant that you got to see 2 shows. The intimate setting seems to suit very well. 
WalterDigsTunes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2010 at 02:38
It's Jimi.

Other than that... sounds like a great time.
TheCaptain View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2010 at 10:53
I found the concert to be the most disappointing shows I have ever been to. ELP has always been known for being over-the-top and bombastic. While Emerson often tried to bring some energy to the table, I felt like Lake was on the edge of falling asleep at many times. He was extremely dull and brought absolutely no life to the party.

And the Cleveland show was scheduled to be their first. Unfortunately they got into a last minute quarrel and cancelled 35 minutes after the show was supposed to start. They made no mention of this fact, not even so much as a "sorry about last month."

You can color me disappointed.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal.
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2010 at 11:50
^ I have read reviews like yours several times and I wonder did you even read the description of the show?
If not here it is again:

There is a special treat in store as Greg and his writing and performing partner tour this April in what is billed as "An intimate evening with Keith Emerson and Greg Lake, featuring the music of Emerson Lake and Palmer, the Nice and King Crimson."

This special "unplugged" and intimate two man show is unlike any the two have performed, solo or with others, and we eagerly look forward to meeting you there.

Greg even explained the set was to create a recording studio feel not a concert feel. 
After reading and hearing that and you still had expectations of an ELP style show then you deserve to be disappointed. 

You are completely speculating on the reason they rescheduled not just one but the first 3 shows. They also had to cancel two shows due to Greg being sick. It happens.  Sorry it happened after everyone was siting down that really sucks.  Both have released statements about it .  Why didn't one of you ask them that during the Q&A.  

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
mike hewetson View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 09:55
its so cool to see keith and greg together (and playing together! when we all know its been really hard for them to get on at times!) i"ve been a big e.l.p fan since 1977, so 33 yrs later -here i am getting just as excited as i did then! i"m going to the high voltage festival,and for me it will be the very highpoint of this year! despite the fact i have 2 bands i play in and i"m very excited about what we"re doing, e.l.p live in 2010 is beyond my wildest dreams! just can"t wait!
mike hewetson
Kojak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 12:21
Well, be sure to post your review of it, Mike, with any pictures, if you can, but a review alone would be good enough for me....
 Post Reply Post Reply