This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2010 at 15:19
Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

I wouldn't mind DVD quality if I can watch a full season or a half season on a single disc or whatever it comes out to.

Well most people with sense would. 
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2010 at 14:51
Originally posted by Mr ProgFreak Mr ProgFreak wrote:

^ I don't see any point in that ... the discs are not expensive. And btw: It would be yet another attempt to rip off the customer ... not only re-release movies on blu-ray, but also only in DVD quality?

It's just more convenient I think, as far as collecting TV/movie series goes. I wouldn't mind DVD quality if I can watch a full season or a half season on a single disc or whatever it comes out to.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2010 at 14:44
Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

I did like his point about selling multiple DVD quality movies on a single BD though.

THAT is useless. What is the point of creating a whole new format to stick with old technologies? The point about bluray is video quality, not storage size (of course the storage size helps with video quality but apparently Mr. YouTube Moron Hellsing really think we should use bluray as an extra big flash memory stick...) 

I would never support bluray just for storing multiple dvd copies. I support it because it looks so damn better than dvd. 
Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2010 at 14:43
^ I don't see any point in that ... the discs are not expensive. And btw: It would be yet another attempt to rip off the customer ... not only re-release movies on blu-ray, but also only in DVD quality?

A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2010 at 14:37
I did like his point about selling multiple DVD quality movies on a single BD though.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2010 at 14:35
That guy is as ignorant and stupid as they come... He's basically saying, at the beginning, that bluray movies should also improve the quality of the movie itself... so for this guy Bluray should make Transformers 2 Oscar material....  Second, the guy "googled comparisons between dvd and bluray" and saw little difference. What an idiot. Of course differences don't seems that great in a laptop in low resolution as most comparisons always are. But put a dvd and a bluray in a 26" HDTV and the GIGANTIC difference starts to appear... 

A king of fools, certainly.  
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2010 at 13:46
Apparently over 400 people agree with this guy:

I wish I could say something that would actually convince him of how ignorant he is, but alas, when a person's already got an opinion as bold as that one, they've already put on the earmuffs. 
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2010 at 11:43
Even a just decent bluray player does a decent upconversion job of a dvd. There are some that do it better, of course. Even more so those equipped with processing chips like Faroudja or Anchor Bay, which are to be found mostly in a/v receivers and high-end bluray players. I have a dvd and TWO bluray players (the PS3 is a bluray player -and a fantastic one at that- after all) and there's no question movies in DVD look a little better played in a bluray, provided you have an hdtv. If your tv is not hd, there will be NO difference. Also, you HAVE to use HDMI to enjoy the upconversion. 

Avatar in dvd looks good. Avatar in bluray looks INCREDIBLE. It's like you were there in Pandora. 

I agree Mike, the differences in audio (which I have to mention in my job, alas) are not that evident even with high end equipment. The video part is the important one. Having two extra channels of sound (that few people even use anyway, though here in the US self-indulgence allows for wealthy people to build really expensive home theaters) and lossless formats is not THE big leap in technology that we would think. It's all in the video. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2010 at 11:14
^ It depends on how much I like the movie. I rarely ever buy blu-rays ... I rent them. But yeah, for my favorite movies I definitely rent them on blu-ray again even though I've seen them a dozen times before.

BTW: Watching movies is in itself a luxury that you don't really need ... as is listening to music. Needless to say that we do it anyway!Big smile
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2010 at 10:08

^ I agree about that. I'm watching DVDs on my computer and it has an option for "beautifying" DVDs (upscaling), but I don't like the results. I have similar problems with the 100Hz techniques ... I understand what it does and some movements are indeed more smooth, but then again in busy scenes the system gets confused (the motion tracking fails) and movements are completely garbled.

I am all in favor of Blu-Ray in connection with high quality film material, but I'm against techniques that try to enhance lower resolution material.
So if you have no way of enhancing DVD picture using Blu Ray you would be enticed to buy BR films to replace the DVDs. An expensive luxury you do not need really...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2010 at 09:23
^ I agree about that. I'm watching DVDs on my computer and it has an option for "beautifying" DVDs (upscaling), but I don't like the results. I have similar problems with the 100Hz techniques ... I understand what it does and some movements are indeed more smooth, but then again in busy scenes the system gets confused (the motion tracking fails) and movements are completely garbled.

I am all in favor of Blu-Ray in connection with high quality film material, but I'm against techniques that try to enhance lower resolution material.
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2010 at 05:33
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

^ Do you mean "Lousy compression" - just checking. Good arguments for and against here.

I watched Avatar on my DVD and was astounded at how well it translated. I could hardly believe a Blu ray player would improve such a sharp vibrant picture. I do like the idea though that i can play my DVDs in the Blu ray. I had not heard that as they dont advertise that feature very broadly.

This means I can still play my DVDs on the BR. But tell me, does the picture improve any better playing DVDs on a BR?. It probably still means I have to fork out huge amounts of cash to rebuy all my fave DVDs.

The marketers must be rubbing their hands with glee when BR was introduced... Heres a new way to make you buy all your fave movies again.

I have made some tests to see if a Blu-Ray player improve the quality of a DVD and i have never seen any difference. Like you said, it's a marketing trap...

Edited by rdtprog - May 14 2010 at 05:34
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2010 at 04:31
^ Do you mean "Lousy compression" - just checking. Good arguments for and against here.

I watched Avatar on my DVD and was astounded at how well it translated. I could hardly believe a Blu ray player would improve such a sharp vibrant picture. I do like the idea though that i can play my DVDs in the Blu ray. I had not heard that as they dont advertise that feature very broadly.

This means I can still play my DVDs on the BR. But tell me, does the picture improve any better playing DVDs on a BR?. It probably still means I have to fork out huge amounts of cash to rebuy all my fave DVDs.

The marketers must be rubbing their hands with glee when BR was introduced... Heres a new way to make you buy all your fave movies again.

and.......Does BR have a record feature? What is price difference in the actual blank discs if so? I can buy 50 blank DVDs for about 50 cents each.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2010 at 03:05
^ DVD offers a variety of sound formats though ... and I would wager that even on fairly decent equipment you can't really hear a difference. I think that just as with the mp3/CD difference, many people subjectively think they hear a difference just because they know that mp3 uses "lossy" compression.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 18:29
Bluray allows 7.1 sound, whereas dvd only offers 5.1 (not a big difference I would say though). Also, DTS-HD and DolbyTrueHD are lossless formats. What you hear is exactly what is there to hear, unlike in DVD where there's compression loss.  You need fairly decent equipment to hear the differences, though.

Edited by The T - May 13 2010 at 18:33
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 15:22
As far as I know DVD already has quite good sound - improvements in that area are bound to be similar to those that for example DVD-A has over CD. I would say that by going to 24 bit movies get more dynamic sound, but then again few people have the hi-fi system (and the neighbors) for being able to really enjoy >90dB. Plus it hurts your ears.

The problem with improving CD sound quality is that it is already sufficient with respect to what our ears are capable of decoding. Picture quality has much more room for improvement, as even blu-ray doesn't "max out" our eyes.
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 14:41
Is anyone have talk about the possible improvement of the quality sound on a BLU-RAY over the DVD. Is that true that a DTS HD sound is better than a 5.1 surround? I am not a expert, but for a Forum that talks about music, it's strange that we only focus on the picture quality, unless there's not a real improvement of the sound with the HD sound. What's the point of having HDMI cable if it's not to upgrade the sound?
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 14:26
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Many people here have fully adopted mp3 as their new music format. Now, unlike with bluray/dvd, mp3s AREN'T better than cds in the audio part (in fact, they can be worse) but they are easy to download, carry around in any device, and played without the need of physical media. So people adopted them for COMFORT, not for quality. In bluray/dvd case, comfort remains the same (though bluray allows for better menus and extras), but the quality is DEFINITELY BETTER. So, is it so outrageous to want to upgrade to a system that has a considerable qualitative difference when, with music, people have switched sometimes TO THE DETRIMENT of audio quality just for comfort and availability? 

Of course, this is a MUSIC forum. In a movie/hometheater forum this debate wouldn't even exist. 

I would argue that mp3s are virtually indistinguishable from CD - at least if they're properly ripped and encoded, which is the case with the mp3s which you can currently buy. I definitely agree about the aspect of comfort though - it's the main reason people have switched to mp3 (including myself). There will probably be new formats, but I doubt that people will switch ... simply because mp3s/CDs are already so good in terms of quality. What's the point of a new format when - like I already said - you can't even tell the better one from the inferior one in double blind tests. It's totally different with blu-ray vs DVD.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 14:22
Originally posted by WalterDigsTunes WalterDigsTunes wrote:

^^ of course they want you to upgrade. And when you upgrade, you will be rewarded by improved picture quality. At any time, it's your call. Personally, I'm all in favor of improving picture quality. As a consumer, you'll simply have to plan ahead a bit. Did you honestly not know that eventually DVDs would be succeeded by a format with higher resolution when you purchased your DVD player? Come on - of course you knew.

And they'll be rewarded with our money and the satisfaction of knowing that we'll buy into their endless repackagings, new formats, new hardware and other corpo-weasel shenanigans based on planned obsolescence and the constant allure of OH LOOK ITS NEU TECHNOLOGY!

Speak only for yourself. I'm very picky about what I buy ... for example, I'm not getting the newly released box set of LOTR because it doesn't contain the extended versions of the movies (which have already been released on DVD - apparently at a later point yet another box set of LOTR will be released).

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 14:17
Yes but remember. Your dvds don't become obsolete. I have TONS of dvds and watch them in my bluray player, with better picture. Most of them I'm not planning to replace with blurays. Unlike the vhs-dvd transition, this time old media will STILL WORK. (I wouldn't be talking so good about bluray if the case was different). 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>