Message Reverse Sort Order
WalterDigsTunes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 14:14
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Originally posted by WalterDigsTunes WalterDigsTunes wrote:

Originally posted by Mr ProgFreak Mr ProgFreak wrote:

^^ of course they want you to upgrade. And when you upgrade, you will be rewarded by improved picture quality. At any time, it's your call. Personally, I'm all in favor of improving picture quality. As a consumer, you'll simply have to plan ahead a bit. Did you honestly not know that eventually DVDs would be succeeded by a format with higher resolution when you purchased your DVD player? Come on - of course you knew.

And they'll be rewarded with our money and the satisfaction of knowing that we'll buy into their endless repackagings, new formats, new hardware and other corpo-weasel shenanigans based on planned obsolescence and the constant allure of OH LOOK ITS NEU TECHNOLOGY!

I'm starting to believe that your "no prog after 1989" motto really comes from the fall of the Berlin wall that year. Wink

I'm also against forcing people to buy sh*t they don't need. I'm not saying you HAVE to upgrade. But I'm saying that if you face that option, bluray IS BETTER PERIOD. And by a WIDE margin. If you don't plan to upgrade anytime soon, this is irrelevant for you. 

When happens when DVDs go the way of VHS and become virtually impossibly to find? Inconvenient, to say the least. I'd rather let the new fad sink than have to go out of my way and spend again.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 14:11

^^ of course they want you to upgrade. And when you upgrade, you will be rewarded by improved picture quality. At any time, it's your call. Personally, I'm all in favor of improving picture quality. As a consumer, you'll simply have to plan ahead a bit. Did you honestly not know that eventually DVDs would be succeeded by a format with higher resolution when you purchased your DVD player? Come on - of course you knew.

And they'll be rewarded with our money and the satisfaction of knowing that we'll buy into their endless repackagings, new formats, new hardware and other corpo-weasel shenanigans based on planned obsolescence and the constant allure of OH LOOK ITS NEU TECHNOLOGY!

I'm starting to believe that your "no prog after 1989" motto really comes from the fall of the Berlin wall that year. Wink

I'm also against forcing people to buy sh*t they don't need. I'm not saying you HAVE to upgrade. But I'm saying that if you face that option, bluray IS BETTER PERIOD. And by a WIDE margin. If you don't plan to upgrade anytime soon, this is irrelevant for you. 
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 14:09
Many people here have fully adopted mp3 as their new music format. Now, unlike with bluray/dvd, mp3s AREN'T better than cds in the audio part (in fact, they can be worse) but they are easy to download, carry around in any device, and played without the need of physical media. So people adopted them for COMFORT, not for quality. In bluray/dvd case, comfort remains the same (though bluray allows for better menus and extras), but the quality is DEFINITELY BETTER. So, is it so outrageous to want to upgrade to a system that has a considerable qualitative difference when, with music, people have switched sometimes TO THE DETRIMENT of audio quality just for comfort and availability? 

Of course, this is a MUSIC forum. In a movie/hometheater forum this debate wouldn't even exist. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 14:07

Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 14:03

Edited by Mr ProgFreak - May 13 2010 at 14:03
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 14:02

Have a look at this comparison:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3570/3783031804_3760f32e53_o.jpg

(use the magnifying function of your browser to make sure that you're actually looking at the image in its native resolution - users without full HD displays will have to scroll)

Please, does anyone of the "blu-ray is not that much of an improvement" agree that there is a striking difference?

Smaller pixels! Wowie zowie, allow me to bring out my fat wallet to buy the Blu-ray player, Blu-ray discs and HD TV!

1989 again. Nobody's asking for your money. But if people say a clearly inferior format is better than a clearly superior one, it's quite ridiculous. There's no subjectivity here. Bluray IS better than dvd. Not everybody needs it of course. I bought mine when I bought an HDTV, not before. 

Really? So whenever I rent or buy a DVD and have an annoying Bluray ad thrust in my face, nobody's asking for my money?

Not you personally, of course. Whenever you buy your 1989-prog and the disc comes with a little catalogue of bands in the record label, they're also asking you for your money. You might decide to buy them or not. That's your prerogative. 

Awful comparison, since I don't have to fast forward through an advertisement for BRAND NEW FORMAT every time I opt to listen to classic progressive rock.

Oh I thought you were talking about physical ads. If you are talking about TRAILERS within dvds, well, every time you go to the movies they also show you trailers. It has always been like that. Now they prefer to push their new format of course, but nobody's forcing you to buy. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 13:57

(use the magnifying function of your browser to make sure that you're actually looking at the image in its native resolution - users without full HD displays will have to scroll)

Please, does anyone of the "blu-ray is not that much of an improvement" agree that there is a striking difference?

Smaller pixels! Wowie zowie, allow me to bring out my fat wallet to buy the Blu-ray player, Blu-ray discs and HD TV!

1989 again. Nobody's asking for your money. But if people say a clearly inferior format is better than a clearly superior one, it's quite ridiculous. There's no subjectivity here. Bluray IS better than dvd. Not everybody needs it of course. I bought mine when I bought an HDTV, not before. 

Really? So whenever I rent or buy a DVD and have an annoying Bluray ad thrust in my face, nobody's asking for my money?

Not you personally, of course. Whenever you buy your 1989-prog and the disc comes with a little catalogue of bands in the record label, they're also asking you for your money. You might decide to buy them or not. That's your prerogative. 

Awful comparison, since I don't have to fast forward through an advertisement for BRAND NEW FORMAT every time I opt to listen to classic progressive rock.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 13:56

A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 13:54
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

I would never say it's not better, but until I'm filthy rich or the hardware is dirt cheap, it's not happening.

I guess it's no longer bleeding edge technology but just bloody expensive.  Rewards often come to those who wait. Big smile

True. Regardless, I prefer DVDs because I can afford them, and that is the poll question, so that's what I picked. LOL
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 13:54

I would never say it's not better, but until I'm filthy rich or the hardware is dirt cheap, it's not happening.

I don't think filthy rich is necessary for a 179.99 $ player. And tvs have come down in price, too. And you DON'T have to replace all your dvds, the bluray will read them. I only have replaced those movies that I deem "bluray worthy". All the other ones look fine upconverted by the player. 

Of course not everybody has movie-watching as an important item in their list. So I obviously understand if some people NEVER buy a bluray player. What would be the point? But for those who love watching movies at home, bluray is a great experience. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 13:53

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 13:52

I guess it's no longer bleeding edge technology but just bloody expensive.  Rewards often come to those who wait. Big smile
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 13:51

A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 13:50
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 13:44
Case in point.Big smile

EDIT: And another one with thellama.Tongue

Edited by Mr ProgFreak - May 13 2010 at 13:47
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 13:25

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 13:24
^ nice!

Well, this reminds me of a nice TED presentation that I watched earlier today:

http://www.ted.com/talks/simon_sinek_how_great_leaders_inspire_action.html

I agree with him. Presenting facts about the superiority of blu-ray will convince few people ...
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 13:21

Yeah, it's a little better. And if the difference is important to you, then great. It's not important to me. If I was given the option to upgrade my player and all my movies to blu-ray for free, I would take it. But what I percieve to be a small difference is not worth the effort to upgrade.
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 13:10

They're just going to say that the bottom image is over-manipulated, or something. You can't convince people who have already made up their minds. All the time you've spent in the christian thread should have taught you that by now. Wink

EDIT: Wow, we have the same exact post count as of this message. 

Edited by JLocke - May 13 2010 at 13:11
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 13:07

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>