Topic ClosedLady Gaga

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2010 at 14:06
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

Originally posted by RoyFairbank RoyFairbank wrote:

Completely disagree (100%) but only know 1% of her material. Her persona, pretentious costumes and lip-syncing escapades with gay dancers is disgusting and unartistical and utterly commercial.

You're complaining about pretentious costumes....on a prog forum? If you hear something behind you I think it is PETER GABRIEL WITH A KNIFE LOOK OUT!

LOLLOLMy exact thoughts upon reading that.

As for Lady Gaga, I don't care for her at all. I'll stop talking now just in case I start ranting. Wink
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2010 at 14:43
I've got 45 years on me and pop has long ago faded from my radar screen.  I won't trash people who are though, I just have better things to do with my time.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Lozlan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2010 at 09:01
I think Gaga is fantastic.  She epitomizes pop counter-culture: she's her own stylist, and her costumage is designed by some of the most talented luminaries currently working in fashion.  The costumes are, indeed, ridiculous, but that's entirely their point.  The woman is a walking deconstruction machine, wholly post-modern. 

I really don't perceive pop to be a lesser form of music.  I've had plenty of people denigrate my personal preferences; as such, I go out of my way to assume the best of other people's tastes.  Where Gaga is concerned, this isn't really difficult: there is a genius to refined pop, a genius wholly unaffected by the number of people involved in the production of a song.  Honestly, I reject the template of the singer-songwriter.  Somewhere along the way we decided that if someone doesn't write every note of their own music, they are somehow sub-artistic.  Prior to The Beatles, the vast majority of music recorded by popular artists were not necessarily their own compositions.  Judy Garland was not a songwriter, but she is remembered as one of the most influential singers of all time.  If Gaga is not writing her own music, that does not detract from the quality of said music. 

As for other poptarts...I'm somewhat shocked to see Madonna being labeled as throwaway music.  A great deal of what fantastic pop music is doing is addressing and deconstructing normative sexuality, something that Madonna pioneered.  Bringing feminine sexuality to the fore, in a powerful and declarative manner, is a very legitimate means of social commentary/artistic expression.  Madge was (and remains) a genius.
Certified Obscure Prog Fart.

The Loose Palace of Exile - My first novel, The Mask of Tamrel, now available on Amazon and Kindle
Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2010 at 09:41
Originally posted by Wiktor Hatif Wiktor Hatif wrote:

why? because there are non-musical sounds (telephones)? Well, these were brought into music by futurists, into popular music by Pink Floyd, but nowadays they are common, and there's nothing floydish here.

I would also like to point out the fact that lady gaga didn't brought anything new to music. Why? Hmm, lets just watch the music video by Gwen Stefani, from 2004 (there's also 7 minute long version of this song, here goes gaga's innovation in that matter either):

as you can hear it's exactly the same thing, except it's better. The music and the costumes. The one thing that differs here is imagination and originality. Check also Gwen's later song "Hollaback Girl" then you'll know where Gaga's semi-raping verses came from.

Now gaga is posing to be so innovative and people are buying it. Why? Because pop listeners are just too ignorant and lazy to look 4 years in the past. Everything is so new for them :D Maybe we should envy their short memory, for us is just same old same old :)

And before Gwen Stefani came Missy Elliot. I don't see the point ... art is all about stealing, with the words of Pablo Picasso:

Bad artists copy. Good artists steal.
sydbarrett2010 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2010 at 10:20
i haaaaaaaaaaaattttttttteeeeeeeeeee her Angry as much as every other crappy music artist rock and metal and blues and jazz rules
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2010 at 10:24
Originally posted by sydbarrett2010 sydbarrett2010 wrote:

i haaaaaaaaaaaattttttttteeeeeeeeeee her Angry as much as every other crappy music artist rock and metal and blues and jazz rules

I have a hard time hating stuff I don't listen to.  Move along, nothing to see here.  Well her main thing is being a spectacle.  Reminds me of the hair who lost his testicles.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2010 at 13:18
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I've got 45 years on me and pop has long ago faded from my radar screen.  I won't trash people who are though, I just have better things to do with my time.

Agree. I don't listen to much radio anymore. When I do it is usually news talk,NPR or locally owned not for profit radio station.
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2010 at 13:19

Whoever posted this should really check Lene Lovich - because it sounds an awful lot like her.

I won't bother reading all the pages in the thread, so I don't know if anyone posted this:

Why it's time to stop paying attention to Lady Gaga

CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2010 at 12:45
I thought we all agreed on the forum not to talk of her anymore? Did I miss a meeting?
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2010 at 12:48
"Goo goo gaa gaa gaa goo goo goo goo gaa gaa gaa." Talking Heads

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2010 at 13:00
I know I am trolling.......but Lady Goo-goo Gaga, Pink, Stefani owe homage to Madonna
Yes/No?
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2010 at 23:12
BORED

/thread
catfood03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2010 at 09:34
Madonna is still the best, but Lady Ga Ga is Goo Goo Good!
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2010 at 09:57
Ain't she just another cultural icon of the post modern 'trash aesthetic' taken to it's logical conclusion?
i.e. expressing yourself sincerely is pretentious and naive so let's be knowingly insincere?
She has nice eyes though...
valravennz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2010 at 07:52
I think she is very clever. She has the "now" pop generation eating out of her hands. She is the new Madonna. For the record, I like her for her achievement as a fashion icon and yes - her music is catchy and a perfect antidote to long sessions of progressive rock heaviness. Gaga rules! Tongue

"Music is the Wine that fills the cup of Silence"
- Robert Fripp

Theriver View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2010 at 10:16
One of the best entertainer nowadays. I would love to see her live, you will probably see more people smiling there that a most of the prog concert. Of course different people, different music hard to compare but....
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2010 at 10:31
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by sydbarrett2010 sydbarrett2010 wrote:

I have a hard time hating stuff I don't listen to.  Move along, nothing to see here.  Well her main thing is being a spectacle.  Reminds me of the hair who lost his testicles.

LOL You should release a daily calendar with quotes like that, Brian.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2010 at 11:22
Did I mention I have a hard time hating stuff I don't listen to? LOL

harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2011 at 19:36
Haha. Iconography FTW. LOL
boo boo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2011 at 07:19

Funny how putting a lobster on your head gets you compared to David Bowie and Bjork.

Maybe Gaga gets the Bowie comparisons because she's such a pretender? But i don't even see that, Bowie actually comes up with characters, his songs tell interesting stories and he's an insanely diverse musical performer. I don't get that from Gaga.

Bjork? Regardless of what you think of Bjork's taste for imagery, her performances actually come from the heart, if she does pretend, she's better at than anyone else in the world. Her outfits have more to do with her sense of aesthetics than a desperate plea for attention or a blatant attempt to be shocking. Bjork actually strives to make something beautiful.

Bowie and Bjork actually make music that pleases me aesthetically. So I guess that makes Gaga more successful as a post-modern artist.

But in a world full of ugliness, why is being deliberately ugly still considered such an accomplishment anyway?

Edited by boo boo - March 04 2011 at 07:35
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>