Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedReviews: Song-by-song or Not?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: What type of reviews do you prefer to READ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [20.00%]
20 [57.14%]
8 [22.86%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reviews: Song-by-song or Not?
    Posted: May 12 2010 at 19:08
Due to a recent thread about a reviewer wanting to know which style of reviews he should employ, I wondered what most people here think.

So, do you prefer to READ track-by-track reviews or "simply" a general view of the album?

Edited by The Quiet One - May 12 2010 at 19:09
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2010 at 19:13
I prefer general ones, although if they describe a song or two as an example of the rest of the album or as sticking out from the rest that's fine too.
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2010 at 19:15
For me, it really depends on the writer.  I've noticed some people are great at writing the track by tracks, in which case I enjoy reading them.  As far as writing them goes, I prefer writing general overviews, maybe pointing out a couple tracks, though never going into too much detail about the individual tracks.  I get excessively wordy and I get bored and/or tired of reading my own reviews halfway through when I do them track by track.  So I guess in general, I prefer general overviews. 
Tarquin Underspoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2010 at 19:17
I think that if you're reviewing an album, you should review an album. Not one song after another.

There are exceptions, if you want to point out a highlight or perhaps if your album only has a few songs. But as a general rule, short, sweet reviews that give me the flavor of an album are all that I need or want.
"WAAAAAAOOOOOUGH!    WAAAAAAAUUUUGGHHHH!!   WAAAAAOOOO!!!"

-The Great Gig in the Sky
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2010 at 19:24
If by 'song-by-song' you mean listing each track as if it's a inventory, no, hate it.  If you mean including a mention of most tracks in the review, that's different.  In our time of samples and snippets, there is something to be said for a writer showing they've in fact heard the whole album.  But it's not absolutely necessary to mention every cut, especially if out of say 10 cuts, a mention of 7 will suffice.

J-Man View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2010 at 19:30
I usually skip the track by track section when I'm reading a review, unless it's exceptionally well written. If I've never heard an album before, I honestly don't care what every song is about. I just want to know what the general feel of the album is like.

I used to write track-by-track reviews, but I stopped after a while. As I would revise my reviews, I would usually skip my own track-by-track section because I got bored. That's when I realized that it was time to stop!

Of course, it does have its benefits as well. I love hearing some other people's takes on some of my favorites, but I generally don't care much for this style of reviewing. I like it when a few highlights or drawbacks are mentioned, but discussing every song can sometimes get repetitive. In a (very) few cases, I enjoy reading the track-by-track section (Robert comes to mind), but usually I skip that part.

Just my thoughts...

-Jeff

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2010 at 19:42
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

I usually skip the track by track section when I'm reading a review, unless it's exceptionally well written. If I've never heard an album before, I honestly don't care what every song is about. I just want to know what the general feel of the album is like.

I used to write track-by-track reviews, but I stopped after a while. As I would revise my reviews, I would usually skip my own track-by-track section because I got bored. That's when I realized that it was time to stop!

Of course, it does have its benefits as well. I love hearing some other people's takes on some of my favorites, but I generally don't care much for this style of reviewing. I like it when a few highlights or drawbacks are mentioned, but discussing every song can sometimes get repetitive. In a (very) few cases, I enjoy reading the track-by-track section (Robert comes to mind), but usually I skip that part.

Just my thoughts...

-Jeff

Robignosis?
UndercoverBoy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2010 at 19:56
I really like track-by-track reviews, when they go into detail about what makes the music so great.  TGM: Orb's reviews are fantastic.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2010 at 20:11
Originally posted by gottagetintogetout gottagetintogetout wrote:

I really like track-by-track reviews, when they go into detail about what makes the music so great.  TGM: Orb's reviews are fantastic.
Yeah me too

I write track by track reviews usually for excellent albums or masterpieces and at times an overall review is better so both have their place I believe.

thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2010 at 20:24
It really depends. I think some albums really need a track by track synopsis while for others such a style would be ridiculous. Imagine reviewing Dark Side of The Moon one track at a time. There are ple ty of highly regarded prog albums thta would benefit from an individual track analysis, however. For example, I think Selling England By The Pound lends itself to this sort of review due to the very different style of some of the songs. Danicng With The MOonlit Knight is not the same as I Know What I Like and the review should reflect this.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2010 at 21:40
I don't have a preference...I love the diversity of style.

In fact, I could probably tell you who wrote what if you blocked out the user name and just gave me a review, because many of the constant writers here are very distinct, and I like that.

I of course write track-by-track (for studio albums), but that's just me.  I have many reasons why I do that.  However, I offer my general opinions in the first paragraph, so if you just want a quick judgment, the first paragraph is all you need.  If you want more detail, there's the track-by-track description that follows.  Smile

I have noticed that most collaborators who reviewed it, I believe, gave my album a track-by-track review, even when they normally don't write that way, and to be honest, I found that very helpful as the maker of the songs.

Edited by Epignosis - May 12 2010 at 21:43
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2010 at 23:53

Both types of reviews can be good, it depends on the writer. I enjoy reading general overviews and track by track ones, both of them bring very interesting points of view.

As you may know, I am one of those who likes reviewing track by track when it comes to studio albums, but that does not mean that I prefer reading that kind of reviews. I actually see first who is writing, and if I know his/her style, I decide if I read it or not.

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 02:19
Track-by-track is like reviewing a movie scene-by-scene: too analytic and extremely silly. Not that I care, I only read Mark Prindle's reviews anyway.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 02:48
Whatever style suits the author best - some people's track by track reviews read like the phone-book while others relate each track to each other and to the album as a whole - since artists and producers put a lot of care into track order for a reason, some review can reflect that care and attention to detail without becoming a shopping-list or sounding like the announcer at Waterloo Station, while others can give a general overview of an album that's like painting a picture in words allowing you to get a feel from the review that would be lost in a track-by-track analysis. Of course, whether you know the album and each track or have never heard it makes a difference.

What I don't care for is rating each song individually - if there are strong and weak tracks then say so, I don't need empirical numbers.

Edited by Dean - May 13 2010 at 02:49
What?
The Sleepwalker View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 02:56
I prefer general reviews, describing the overall feel and quality of the album. Often, points can be made quite well with describing a few songs of the album that stand out in some way or are very typical for the album. If I am looking for an album, the general sound of it is what I want to know, and I can't really care for reading descriptions of the individual tracks. Of course, there are some exceptions. Albums with only three songs or so, like CTTE, can work out fine with track by track reviews. 
WalterDigsTunes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 03:13
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture" - Frank Zappa

And yeah, a pirouette for every single minarette can get tedious after a while.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2010 at 04:52
It just depends on the review. A recent example of a review I really enjoyed (and which I recommend for Review of the Month April if I may be so bold) was this one: very to the point, maybe I could guess which album was its subject without any titles mentioned. And that's what it's all about...

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2010 at 08:28
Other:
Depends Diapers s

Edited by Slartibartfast - May 15 2010 at 08:29
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2010 at 08:47
^LOL
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2010 at 09:32
I do a mixture of both. It depends on what type of mood I'm in, how much time I have and what the album means to me. Sometimes I take the time to do song-by-song, other times, I don't. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>