FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Prog Fan On The Other Side

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Prog Fan On The Other Side
    Posted: May 12 2010 at 21:01
I could have titled this thread: your mortal enemy in prog, but that would be way too violent sounding and inaccurate LOL

I was thinking though, that as Prog fans, we still have people on the opposing side of every big question. For instance; among Genesis fans, there is the fan who cuts everything off after even Selling England By The Pound. Opposite to him is the inclusive fan who might even like We Can't Dance. More close to home, among Pink Floyd fans there are several oppositions, for instance between those who swear by the experimental work of the early Floyd and those say the same of later periods. These oppositions are more controversial because they are more complex and delicate.

What do you find is the most exasperating opposing position to your own in the Prog community? Not the widest opposition, but the one that impacts you in the most particular way. 

Similar to what I mentioned above, for me I find those who advocate for David Gilmour against Roger Waters to be most particularly exasperating. The reasoning is confused and misses the point of what Pink Floyd is about, which seems perplexing because these fans love the Floyd so much.

I'll expand mine later, Wink
Thanks,

Roy
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2010 at 21:04
People who think Can is anything other than the greatest band ever in the history of civilization

I feel the same about: Comus, Magma, Weidorje, GY!BE, Tortoise, Faust, Amon Duul II, Captain Beefheart, Mr. Bungle, etc. ad nauseum
mmmreesescups View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2010 at 21:21
This is pretty broad but, here goes. 

People who shrug off every modern prog band as rip-offs or clones.

Also, people who dislike Post-Rock.
VanVanVan View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2010 at 21:25
Dream Theater haters. I can see where they're coming from (sort of) but I never understood the intense dislike that (in my humble opinion) one of the most consistently great bands ever gets.

I have a feeling that I'm going to get hammered for this. Wink

Edited by VanVanVan - May 12 2010 at 21:25
"The meaning of life is to give life meaning."-Arjen Lucassen
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2010 at 21:28
Originally posted by VanVanVan VanVanVan wrote:

I can't believe someone with a Western Culture avatar could like crap like that!
LOL

Just kidding, I used to listen to loads of DT, and still love their first album like a child (not mine though Wink)

Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2010 at 21:37

I hate the people who drone on and on and on and on and on and on about one or two particular golden era bands- Yes and Genesis are the prime suspects here- and talk as though all music released after 1979 or so is worse than the Holocaust.

This is not an attack on Yes and Genesis, they are both great bands. it's the behaviour of these particular fans I am saying annoys me.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2010 at 21:39
Originally posted by Textbook Textbook wrote:

and talk as though all music released after 1979 or so is worse than the Holocaust.

It is
UndercoverBoy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2010 at 21:42
People who love 80's AOR but consider Lady Gaga untalented and only-in-it-for-the-money.Wink
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2010 at 21:46
  1. People who believe Genesis members were not skilled because they hardly played solos.
  2. People who believed Prog died in 1980.
  3. PFM translated to English.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - May 12 2010 at 21:49

RoyFairbank View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2010 at 22:02
Originally posted by gottagetintogetout gottagetintogetout wrote:

People who love 80's AOR but consider Lady Gaga untalented and only-in-it-for-the-money.Wink

oi, you, yes you! Stand Still Laddy! AngryWink

LOLEmbarrassedbesides I don't "love" 80s AOR. I very much like AORish prog (Yes, Genesis, Asia,  first of all, on a lesser scale bands like Pallas and Elpowell) and I enjoy other mixtures of AOR style music (Eric Clapton's mid to late 80s albums, for instance) of the semi-pure AOR, I sort of like Starship, I can listen to bits of Foreigner.... If anything I like Synthrock that would sound sort of like Zee or Under Wraps by Jethro Tull (which is terribleDead) but it doesn't really exist!!! CryCry   <<< long explanation doesn't mean I'm making excuses PinchLOL

Edited by RoyFairbank - May 12 2010 at 22:08
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2010 at 22:16
Originally posted by RoyFairbank RoyFairbank wrote:

Originally posted by gottagetintogetout gottagetintogetout wrote:

oi, you, yes you! Stand Still Laddy! AngryWink

LOLEmbarrassedbesides I don't "love" 80s AOR. I very much like AORish prog (Yes, Genesis, Asia,  first of all, on a lesser scale bands like Pallas and Elpowell) and I enjoy other mixtures of AOR style music (Eric Clapton's mid to late 80s albums, for instance) of the semi-pure AOR, I sort of like Starship, I can listen to bits of Foreigner.... If anything I like Synthrock that would sound sort of like Zee or Under Wraps by Jethro Tull (which is terribleDead) but it doesn't really exist!!! CryCry   <<< long explanation doesn't mean I'm making excuses PinchLOL

To quote myself; and expand on myself;

I should say: AOR has one benefit: glossy production and use of awesome techniques and technology, like the Fairlight Synthesizer, Electronic Drums, and countless other synthetic wonders. 80s music also has heavy percussive sounds that I like and the music doesn't sound cluttered at all or heavily distorted which I hate.

MORE CENTRALLY, I disagree with the capitulation to vulgar concepts and themes, 4 minute songs repetitiveness and formulaic song composition. I also think the 80s is far too light and absent minded. Heaviness is lacking in the most profound sense.

So I agree 90% with all pro-70s critics of the 80s except that I love that 80s sound! EmbarrassedShocked
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2010 at 22:16
Originally posted by HTCF HTCF wrote:

I can't believe someone with a Western Culture avatar could like crap like that!
LOL

Just kidding, I used to listen to loads of DT, and still love their first album like a child (not mine though Wink).

Yeah, don't have a Cow man, put a sock in it! ;)

Seriously, hypothetically-speaking, I would be peeved by those who claim to know the boundaries of progressive rock and those who believe in a simple prog/ non-prog dichotomy and don't recognise that there are fuzzy edges (very nebulous), appreciate different perspectives, attitudes and definitions, and don't recognise that there are degrees of prog, but the degree depends very much on the individual.

Also people who don't recognise differences between progressive music, progressive (adjective) rock, and Progressive Rock (noun).  Not all Progressive Rock is progressive, and not all progressive rock need be Progressive Rock (i.e. Prog).  And certainly not all progressive music is progressive rock, yet some seem to imply that that is the case.

Too often I have felt that people's notions of being "progressive" has been far too limited and I feel the word is used inaccurately all too often.

Also, people who claim subjective truths as objective truth when it comes to music.  One even find ridiculous statements sometimes where people claim that something is not even musical or music that clearly fits the definitions.

Also, people who can't tolerate others expressing their dislike of the music they like and those who cannot seem to disassociate personal taste (part of that comes from experience) from what has value (not just personal value, but what is good).

People who say "Which is better?" when they really mean "which is better for you?" And those who go far in making competitive sport of music, or at least take results of such fun competitions (for instance Christian Vander vs. Neal Morse) seriously.

Prog fans who won't give non-English language bands a chance (even if it's instrumental!).

Prog fans who won't step out of their comfort zones to try something new (and discuss such music in a non-deprecatory way with people who are familiar with such music).
\
Those who don't wish to share their true feelings for fear of offending the fans.

Those who share their feelings in order to offend the fans.

T=hose who don't know what they're talking about.

Those who make little insults, or blanket biassed statements,  then won't engage others in discussion when others respond.

People who vote in polls before reading the question and opening post.

Prog fans who complain about other Prog fans. LOL

Really anyone who does not accept my word as Divine.

Edited by Logan - May 12 2010 at 22:28
VanVanVan View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2010 at 22:24
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

LOL

Just kidding, I used to listen to loads of DT, and still love their first album like a child (not mine though Wink).

Yeah, don't have a Cow man, put a sock in it! ;)

Best play on words I've heard in a long while.
"The meaning of life is to give life meaning."-Arjen Lucassen
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2010 at 22:28

Prog fans who won't give non-English language bands a chance (even if it's instrumental!).

Yeah but some of us don't like instrumental bands LOL

That seems to be the original sin of Prog fans Clap
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2010 at 22:29

LOL

Prog fans who won't step out of their comfort zones to try something new (and discuss such music in a non-deprecatory way with people who are familiar with such music).
\
Those who don't wish to share their true feelings for fear of offending the fans.

Those who share their feelings in order to offend the fans.

Those who don't know what they're talking about.

Those who make little insults, or blanket biassed statements,  then won't engage others in discussion when others respond.

People who vote in polls before reading the question and opening post.

All of the above

plus

People who run down reviews because they dont understand the rating

But also people who talk up albums that are really the pits and expect you to change your mind about them...

reviews that make no sense at all or are over personal consistently

People who run down the newer prog bands such as Dream Theater or Mars Volta

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2010 at 22:34
People who dismiss anything that fits regular harmonic and melodic molds and who accept as high art anything that resembles noise. 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2010 at 22:39
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

People who dismiss anything that fits regular harmonic and melodic molds and who accept as high art anything that resembles noise. 

And people who dismiss anything that does not fit regular harmonic and melodic moulds as just noise.
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2010 at 23:08
I am constantly aggravated that no one on PA (not to mention my friends in the real world) can grasp the awesomeness of Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, the best band of the 21st century bar none.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 00:33
Those who say a song is no good, or cannot even be considered Prog because it is less than ten minutes long.  Twenty for those who are really far gone.

I also agree with T and Logan.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Synchestra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 01:02
Prog fans who dismiss someones input because they use a non prog band as an example, unless it  makes no sense of course (really, when was the last prog conversation you had where rap was a relevant example?)

Oh and Dream Theater sucks. End of story. Am I doing it rite? Tongue
'Yeah, thats.. Whatever you're talking about for ya' - Zapp brannigan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>