FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDrum Instructional Material

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drum Instructional Material
    Posted: May 22 2010 at 15:07
I'm just starting to get into playing the drums (on an electronic kit), and am wondering what some useful material would be to help my playing.  Are there any beginner to intermediate-level instructional material (books, cds, dvds, etc.) that you've found useful when learning the drums?

I'd prefer material that doesn't go into the setup of a drum set or anything like that, but am open to any suggestions.  If you can post any video links (trailers, etc.), I'd appreciate it but any titles or authors would be fine. Smile
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 09:51
There are loads of cheap instructional books for beginners on the 'bay and amazon, some drumless tracks are available on various web sites, though you will soon get bored with them, they can get very monotonous and unmusical - most drummers learnt their stuff playing along to records and practicing basics, if you want songs by particular drummers the Lick (stick) Library is excellent but expensive ,  good to try various styles, blues is a great teacher,  but stick with the one you feel most at home with.  good luck!

Smile
Prog Archives Tour Van
Stooge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2010 at 16:53
Originally posted by mystic fred mystic fred wrote:

There are loads of cheap instructional books for beginners on the 'bay and amazon, some drumless tracks are available on various web sites, though you will soon get bored with them, they can get very monotonous and unmusical - most drummers learnt their stuff playing along to records and practicing basics, if you want songs by particular drummers the Lick (stick) Library is excellent but expensive ,  good to try various styles, blues is a great teacher,  but stick with the one you feel most at home with.  good luck!

Smile

Thanks for the advice.  I'm open to learning from any style of drumming.  Smile

Rottenhat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2010 at 12:54

One (maybe boring) way to study drums would be to download midi tracks of interesting songs, and open them in a sequencer program to look at the beats. You can find free sequencer programs on the net that can open midi files.

Language is a virus from outer space.

-William S. Burroughs
 Post Reply Post Reply