Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSome artists that should be in prog related

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2010 at 04:48
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Originally posted by Desoc Desoc wrote:

Well, what I find most frustrating is the continous ranting against people who are engaged in discussions. It's not very constructive. They are not likely to alternatively use their energy on researching obscure 1968 Tanzanian prog acts no matter how annoyed some people may get Tongue

I0'm not talking about Tanzanian bands (even when I wish there was one), I'm talking about hundreds of bands in every country, but this constant suggestion - rejection - re-suggestion - re-rejection - re re suggestion of bands every time a ne guy comes, is tiresome.

I am quite confident that you understood that Tanzania was a metaphor. My general advice: If things tire you, ignore them. Makes you happier. Wink

- Are widely accepted as MUSICALLY influential to the development of Progressive Rock by the community,

2.- It's one of the first expressions of Prrogressive Rock in Norway, so it's obvious they influenced some bands, plus it's sound is clearly a mixture of OPsyche and Heavy Prog that was used by later bbands

Well, I beg to differ, both on whether your conclusion regarding Titanic is objectively correct, and on whether this analysis of Titanic is in accordance with paragraph 2, or at least with how it is being used as an argument against inclusion of other bands on this forum. But to me this just shows that I think the current criteria are, in sum, less than useful, and I am on the verge of suspecting them of having been constructed for the sake of subjectivization.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2010 at 10:38

I am quite confident that you understood that Tanzania was a metaphor. My general advice: If things tire you, ignore them. Makes you happier. Wink

That's a luxury we can't afford when we work on a team, some bands are simpy terrible but Symphonic, still we have to listen and add them.

BTW: Don't be surprised about the Tanzania issue, before I added OSIBISA, we were desperate to find a Prog band from Africa, there was simply none, but we wanted to haev bands from all the continents. 

Well, I beg to differ, both on whether your conclusion regarding Titanic is objectively correct, and on whether this analysis of Titanic is in accordance with paragraph 2, or at least with how it is being used as an argument against inclusion of other bands on this forum. But to me this just shows that I think the current criteria are, in sum, less than useful, and I am on the verge of suspecting them of having been constructed for the sake of subjectivization.

To our defense, when we added TITANIC the three AND in the definition were OR, so we only required one of the three conditions to add a band, but I believe TITANIC is more than Prog Related.

Now, when the requirements were less, it was more subjective, being that INFLUENCED was used to suggest each and every AOR band, because groups like TOTO, BOSTON, etc have received influence from Prog in one or another way.

The requirements were made to take some subjectivity, but we will never reach total objectivity in arts, for most of us Picaso is a genius, for others is just crap with no sense.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - May 30 2010 at 10:39

boo boo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2010 at 00:10
Uh... ABBA?

WUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH??????

Anyway, how about Pink Fairies? They could fall under heavy prog or space rock or at least crossover prog or prog related. They have a strong connection with Hawkwind, the two bands sometimes jammed together and they had a similar approach in their blend of hard rock and Pink Floyd psychedelia.

Not to mention their drummer Twink is already included in the archives under space rock.

Edited by boo boo - May 31 2010 at 00:15
ko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2010 at 16:10
Originally posted by boo boo boo boo wrote:

Uh... ABBA?

WUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH??????

Ok, forget about ABBA. How about him? Please tell me your opinion -  PR  songs or not?>>>

Edited by ko - May 31 2010 at 16:33
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2010 at 16:31
Originally posted by ko ko wrote:

KO, I decided nothing,

Collaborators only make suggestions in the site's structure and rules, pretty much as any member..

Cheers.

Iván

BTW: Did I heard ABBA Prog Related? Wink
I'm not crazy for ABBA, even not a casual fan,  but if some band get Prog influences (Sympho in Benny Andersson case, imo)  and then we call it Prog Related, that means, imo, a band could came from any genre, even from pop as ABBA, or from new wave, i mean, not only from classic and/or hard rock as usual; for example, London Calling  have some prog elements and that album was, for later bands, sometning like Sgt Pepers for that original, British Progressive Rock movement, wasn't?

Yes, I think that  Arrival, and The Album are Prog Related albums.
BTW, I agree with you that Proto Prog would be 100% Prog category.

ARRIVAL BY ABBA?

Maybe lately didn''t heard carefully enough  "Dancing Queen", "When I kissed the Teacher", "Money Money Money"  or "Knowing Me Knowing You" (well the name sounds more or less like Follow You Follow Me)  but still.....PLEASE.

ABBA is essentially DISCO MUSIC, Arrival is the icon of the early Disco music, they are as Prog as Van Mc'Coy and Soul City Symphony.

BTW: I like ABBA, I was in love with Agnetta and Anafried when kid Evil Smile, but they are not remotely related to a distantly related Prog Related band.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - June 01 2010 at 01:40

ko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2010 at 16:42
OK, i mentioned Arrival and The Album just as examples. Although I'm not fan, i think that Benny Anderson is GENIUS; his  way of composing was basicly symphonic, his songs could be made EASILY in more seriously arangments, no doubt, but  he decided to be disco pop and that is that.
Nevermind. 
Ivan, please tell me what you аre thinking about Harlan T Bobo tracks what i posted above?

EDIT : I think they are PR, or even Crossover.

Edited by ko - May 31 2010 at 17:12
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2010 at 17:46

Wel. lets se:

1.- Is the most monotonous ballad I ever heard, I don't see the slightest Ptog connection, sounds like Indie, yes, the violin is nice, but an instrument doesn't make a genre

2.- Depressing Alternative witha couple of sound effects with a distant Beatles influence...Not Prog either

3.-  A Rock & Roll track pklayed out of tune and with a terrible vooicalist, not even mediocre...Of coursenot Prog or even remotely related

After listening rthis tracks, checked about him and found that is mainly a Country - Indie artist.

Iván

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2010 at 18:19
Regarding Abba, I do find "Eagle" proggy (I love that track), and the song "Arrival" to an extent.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2010 at 18:38
I'm not gonna sit here and argue that Abba is prog or even prog related, since most artistically ambitious bands in the 70s were inevitably influenced by prog, and we can't include them all.  But they were so much more than a disco group, even as they had a disco phase.  Their songs are sophisticated pop, quite intricate and with more tempo shifts than many of our crossover artists.    If you, like me, were around in the 70s and dismissed them because they were too "poppy" AND "vapid", give them another try now.  You might be surprised.  BTW, even at that time I loved Knowing me and Knowing You (wonderful simple plaintive lead guitar) and Chiquitita (poignant spanish ballad).  Agreed that Eagle is pretty much a prog song
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2010 at 21:08
ABBA are a lot more prog related than some of the symph prog metal or folk rock that's on this site in PROG PROPER categories.   As kennethelevine says, 70s was a time of adventurous songwriting so we can't  have all of them on the site but ABBA for prog related is not a joke and probably indicates you haven't heard anything other than songs like Dancing Queen.  Intermezzo no.1 or Thank you for the music-I wonder-I am a Marionette are clearly very sophisticated compositionally vis-a-vis a lot of stuff that is actually in the prog related category.  If you want to judge by labels, fine, my ears tell a different story. Wink However, I do agree with Ivan that there is really no need for a prog related category and including only prog rock would sort out a lot of confusion, like why ABBA is heresie and Nightwish is not, for instance. Wink  I don't think ABBA need to be on a prog rock site at all but considering how prog related seems to be defined here, they are not non starters either.

Just my opinion, by the way, I am not questioning anybody's motives or choices.  
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2010 at 22:16
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I'm noit sating that Funkadelic SHOULD be here, but I think it has real merit for Prog Related:

Hot Topic
Topic: Funkadelic for space rock/ heavy prog?
Forum: Suggest New Bands and Artists

They cite progressive rock as an influence, and they've influenced funky prog bands.

Man it's been forever since I've heard Maggot Brain! Thanks for bringing back some memories Clap
TheClosing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2010 at 23:07
Originally posted by Textbook Textbook wrote:

I like Nine Inch Nails but I don't know what they're doing here.

And no Scott Walker?
I was initially surprised to see NIN here, but it makes sense compared to a ton of other bands on this site. Concept records, double LP's, music that's abstract with experimentation. Maybe the song structures aren't exactly progressive, but there is a grand scope to most the records considering the reoccurring theme like progressions. Also Trent is certainly an innovator. 

I'd say Faith No More makes the most sense out of all the recommendations so far. Scott Walker makes sense too though. 
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I like Tori Amos, but ultimately almost every song is similar-sounding of one sole  facet of Kate Bush...

And Kate has many musical facets, sometimes even groundbreaking for her times...

in terms of progyness Tori doesn't come to Kate's heels, IMHO
Please elaborate on the single, and multi faceted comment. I like Tori too, but I wouldn't consider either of these ladies prog. 

Originally posted by The Truth The Truth wrote:

(Sorry had to bring that up, Metallica does deserve to be on the site LOL)
Least deserving band I've seen on this site. 

Edited by TheClosing - June 03 2010 at 23:31
TheClosing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2010 at 23:08
Double post. Please delete. 

Edited by TheClosing - May 31 2010 at 23:17
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2010 at 23:16
What's next?

The Bee Gees? (They had Odessa, a concept  album that strongly influenced Genesis first album)
Michael Jackson? (Hey Thriller is very elaborate for Pop)
Madonna? (Like a Prayer is one of  her most elaborate melodies)
Meat Loaf? (Jim Steinmann's compositions are fully operatic)
Snoop Dog? (Just not be close minded)

Please, I like ABBA, I heard all their albums, but claiming that they are Prog becaues they had sophisticated compositions is way too much. Like it or not, ABBA is mainly Disco music.

Early REM has very progressive (with wirh case as an adjective) compositions and miles closer, but still not enough for Prog or even Prog Related?.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - May 31 2010 at 23:20

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2010 at 00:26
Thriller has long songs with hell lot of padding. That is not nearly the same thing as ABBA, because Jackson's songs find a groove and repeat it to death.  ABBA's disco albums are Voulez Voulez and Super Trouper (even that only in part).  To claim all their songs is disco is nonsense, to be very honest.  And I repeat, I would not endorse a move to bring ABBA here nor foresee it, but I really would like to know how some baskets like prog related or prog metal are defined because I am not able to see this huge gulf in sophistication between, say, ABBA and Nightwish.   
boo boo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2010 at 00:47
Well lets see, Jackson was the king of pop, and ABBA are the kings/queens of kitschy vomit. I consider ABBA a joke.

None of the songs in Thriller really have padding, they're only around 4 minutes long and they have hooks left and right, yeah there's repetition, that isn't the same as padding, it's pop and funk music for crying out loud. It's better to take a great beat and repeat it than to haphazardly throw a lot of lame ideas together to create the illusion of being "sophisticated". 

ABBA were always a bunch of hacks who jumped on whatever the trend was at the moment but always made music that is just so bland and generic I can't stand it. The Bee Gees were trendhoppers too but at least they were good at it and made some pretty great stuff. There is good disco music but I don't consider ABBA to be that.

No, that would be Earth Wind & Fire, Chic and late 70s MJ. Thumbs Up

Edited by boo boo - June 01 2010 at 01:09
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2010 at 01:38
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

To claim all their songs is disco is nonsense

That's why I said

ABBA is mainly Disco music

I believe mainly is different from all their songs.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - June 01 2010 at 01:38

ko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2010 at 01:39
Good Rats should be in PR category !
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2010 at 03:22
Originally posted by boo boo boo boo wrote:

Well lets see, Jackson was the king of pop, and ABBA are the kings/queens of kitschy vomit. I consider ABBA a joke.

None of the songs in Thriller really have padding, they're only around 4 minutes long and they have hooks left and right, yeah there's repetition, that isn't the same as padding, it's pop and funk music for crying out loud. It's better to take a great beat and repeat it than to haphazardly throw a lot of lame ideas together to create the illusion of being "sophisticated". 

ABBA were always a bunch of hacks who jumped on whatever the trend was at the moment but always made music that is just so bland and generic I can't stand it. The Bee Gees were trendhoppers too but at least they were good at it and made some pretty great stuff. There is good disco music but I don't consider ABBA to be that.

No, that would be Earth Wind & Fire, Chic and late 70s MJ. Thumbs Up

There was something amusing in your post originally about being nice, what happened to that?Wink   An amusing response overall but one that unwittingly illuminates why music discussion gets so needlessly argumentative.  Because people simply don't want to differentiate opinions from facts and get p***ed off and derail threads.  If you had bothered at all to comprehend my post, you would have known I had not and still don't made/make comments on how good or bad the music of either ABBA or MJ is, because that has no place in a discussion pertaining to genre classification.  Apparently, this is too much for you to grasp! Wink

Now...in Thriller, both the title track and You gotta be starting something run over four minutes because grooves are repeated to pad up the song, there is no further development in the composition to support it. This was in response to Ivan saying Thriller was more elaborate for a pop album; it is not necessarily so. It is indeed not necessarily a flaw (and nor did I say it was) because Jackson probably loved those grooves and didn't see why he couldn't keep them going for longer.  Evidently, he knew what he was doing because audiences loved it too.  Repeating grooves to death made sense because they were such catchy grooves that people couldn't get out of their heads.  Whereas ABBA do frequently opt for arrangements that are more sophisticated than is expected from pop. Whether that makes them good or bad is a separate discussion, monsieur.  Pray where their being bland or generic is relevant when their compositional sophistication is being discussed?  Or perhaps you are another of those who think all adjectives are the same and get offended alike by them.Wink

Ivan:  And I said only two of their what eight albums can be properly called disco?  How are songs like Waterloo, So Long, aforesaid Knowing me or Head over heels supposed to be disco?  What you really mean is their stuff got played at discotheques, but that by itself doesn't make ABBA disco music.

boo boo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2010 at 03:30

I'm not attacking you at all, I'm just voicing my opinion on ABBA. And since they're not members of this forum (I don't think) I don't have to be nice to them. Evil Smile

Edited by boo boo - June 01 2010 at 03:30
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>