FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFloyd reunion looks unlikely

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2010 at 12:44
Originally posted by sturoc1 sturoc1 wrote:

I guess no one wants to believe fact .( see prev post by me)

Dude, I totally believe you. My point is that seeing Roger is just like seeing Pink Floyd. Have you ever seen him solo?
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2010 at 13:00
^ I have seen Waters live twice in the last decade. As good as watching Floyd? Absolutely!!!
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
sturoc1 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2010 at 13:05
Worked a bunch of shows with him so Yes.
It is just as good as PF, missing DG & RW's vocals.

Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2010 at 15:59
I've seen Waters solo, Gilmour solo, and Gilmour & Wright. By far Roger's concert was my least favorite.
Bigger on the inside.
Follix View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2010 at 02:49
He can't even sing anymore so even Australian Floyd does a better job than him.

And Waters solo stuff always sounded like Pink Floyd or at least Final Cut but when RW does some Pink Floyd it doesnt sound like Pink Floyd while Gilmour solo stuff is far enough from PF Gilmour PF songs sounds like PF.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2010 at 03:19
As far as can tell most PF performances are Waters' conceptions. These were very much his idea even from before DG joined PF. As The Wall was pretty much Waters' efforts - with great moments from DG - it really comes as little surprise to find Waters' performances rembling the Floyd.

I've seen DG's PF twice, RW (the concert where NM showed up for STCFTHOTS) and a DG show with R Wright. Waters' concert performance consistency lives up to his ambitions. He wanted the huge theatrical shows (since '67 and possibly earlier.)

DG has said he doesn't ewant the huge PF concert tour spectacular - too much organizaional hassle or somesuch reason (as if this isn't delegated...) Anyway his freind and manager Steve O'Rourke is also deceased and that may weigh with him more than RW - who severed relations with Mr O'Rourke 25 years ago.

Be nice if DG played on at least some RW shows but really PF is Waters (albeit without the finishing touch DG provides.)

Mind you I do prefer DG's first and third solo albums to anything Waters issued (since Pros and Cons.) Waters has a sense of huge scale while DG has a sense of details and songmanship. Which is why Waters can write for an opera and stage The Wall and DG's On An Island is full of blissful songs.

I suppose the individual plays to his own strengths rather than ply them togther.

Ronnie Pilgrim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2010 at 19:08
Very good points, and well saidClap

Edited by Ronnie Pilgrim - July 13 2010 at 19:09
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2010 at 21:47
I still disagree about Pink Floyd being Roger Waters. Pink Floyd was definitley the sum of the parts. Dark Side of the Moon, Wish you were here, and even Animals (as well as the song Echoes) would have been far from being the masterpieces they are if Waters hadn't had the rest of the band with him. Even The Wall would have suffered severely without them (imagine The Wall without Comfortably Numb), and even the songs entirely written by Waters may have ended up arranged some other way (specially Another Brick in the Wall 2, it was originally intended to be only the first verse, without the children's choir nor Gilmour's solo at the end, those were Gilmour's ideas if I remember well).
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2010 at 01:14
oh yes, without the others Waters' ideas might be as... critically challenged shall we say as arranging for general consumption is best left to DG. ABITW2 would have been just a verse, chorus, solo and then onto the next bit.

Comfortably Numb is clearly a Waters DG "collaboration." Waters' sinister vox contrasts so effectively with Gilmours soaring counterpoint. Frankly only he seems to be able to sing his own parts effectively. His light version solo certainly reflected the difference between Waters' heavy drama and Gilmour's brighter choruses. Robert Wyatt did a tremendous effort on the night to do Waters' vocal.

Actually if you scan the lyrics in the cover of The Wall the whole thing flows as one giant song, until DG puts in his notable m oments. In a way this reflects the personalities I've read as Waters' unstoppable force coming up against DG's immovable rock.

But TDSOTM to Final Cut were essentially Waters ideas with the important arranging by Wright and Gilmour. Brain Damage / Eclipse revealed Waters' technique of shopping list lyrics which would really get heavier on Animals.

Given DG's ideas and desperation for lyrics (he even once asked waters for some help ... can't remeber where just at the moment... it may have been Momentary Lapse. waters told hiom to come up with his own. These albums without Waters probably would not have existed.

He may or may not be Pink, he may not be Pink Floyd but he is the closest to it performance wise.

As for sum of the parts? Indeed yes. Amused To Death would be a great Floyd album if it was including the others, instead...  well maybe I should re-buy the thing... just thought it was... a few tracks (God Wants) and then... Nowhere near as dull as Pros and Cons. (IMHO.)

Final Cut is a great example of comparing Waters as Pink with the others as Floyd, so to speak. A very brave a creditable album. Trouble is everyone gets lost in the uniform idea of a rock band identity.

Never happens with jazz and blues...

Ronnie Pilgrim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2010 at 06:49
Er, okay, I had the bent of this topic wrong. I thought we were discussing a reunion for touring, Writing and recording new material is another matter altogether. As far as I'm concerned, Meddle through Animals were their best albums, with highlights before and after, and the contributions of all were vital. I don't really like The Wall as much as others, and I consider The Final Cut a Waters solo project for all intents and purposes. But I still maintain that seeing Waters live is just like seeing Floyd. He employs the quadrophonic, 360 degree surround sound system, all the props, toys, special effects, animation, lasers and pyrotechnics that made their shows so memorable. And the music is spot on, minus the distinct vocals of Gilmore and Wright (but not to the detriment of the final experience).

Edited by Ronnie Pilgrim - July 14 2010 at 06:52
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2010 at 07:50
No, you didn't have it wrong... just some improvising upon a theme. Once comparisons between Roger's concerts as well as his Wall / PF The Wall it was a small step into which one's Pink for writing. No harm though.

Yep, Final Cut does have Mason and Gilmour as session players on their own album effectively. A huge change in sound is Michael Kamen's presence instead of Wright.

But as for reunion of touring... I think a former PF roadies posted a not likely (meaning no.) Still they could change their minds. It's just that touring ... well Roger likes the huge production, Gilmour does a version of that but might prefer a less bombastic stage presence.

Call it Pink Floyd and people have certain expectations and Roger delivers these expectations. The Roger-less PF did the same. But I knew a few who saw DG at the Festival Hall in 2002 who expected a more PF thing and did not get it. Npt me, I thought it was up close and personal and I loved it.

But production of recordings and touring are inseparable for Floyd. DG probably wants to avoid all the control freakery he used to get with Roger. But Rog needs Dave to make his grand schemes palatable.

So if a new tour, new arrangements? Which DG might like but nor RW,  or the full works which RW loves but DG sems less keen on these. Then there's what? new material? I think Roger likes people to listen (Saves on spittle!) and he quite likes relatively small arenas (10,000) or less which is not going to do the business for Pink Floyd - 20,000 plus and several nights in each.

Doesn't look likely. Maybe more charity events perhaps?

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2010 at 22:58
I've just read that Gilmour agreed to appear as a guest on one of the The Wall shows to play guitar on Comfortably Numb... too bad he will almost surely not choose Mexico.
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2010 at 23:31
^ I doubt it will be Kansas City too... Hope it is though Smile
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2010 at 22:22
It would be more likely than Mexico, though.

I just read a description Roger Waters did on FaceBook about Gilmour's and Waters's gig together last weekend, and how Gilmour's offer to appear on a Wall concert came about. It was in fact Gilmour who called or wrote Roger about doing it, and he sugested the song "To know him is to love him", and then they chose "Wish you Were Here" and "Comfortably Numb". Then Roger started panicking about not being able to sing "To know him..." well, because it was out of his range and he would have to practice a lot, etc, and he thought surely Gilmour would do a better job by himself, so Roger told Gilmour he should do that song alone, and then he (Roger) could join him on the other two songs. However, Gilmour insisted on doing this song with Waters, and just told him if he (Roger) sang on "To know him... ", then Gilmour would join Waters on one of his Wall shows to play on "Comfrotably Numb"... and so far that's the agreement (Waters said he just couldn't refuse that offer), but Gilmour hasn't yet decided on which show he'll appear.
Follix View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2010 at 12:33
Originally posted by The Truth The Truth wrote:

^ I doubt it will be Kansas City too... Hope it is though Smile

My longshot would be Montreal because the 1977 went bad and Gilmour left the show cause he was unhappy+ I would bet Quebec province is the place where Pink Floyd sold the more album out of England in proportion

In my mind if he doesnt show up in Montreal it will be Europe.
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2010 at 13:33
"To know him is to love him"???????
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2010 at 17:54
Lucky it wasn't a cover of I Have been In You -(FZ.) Unless it's like the recent allegations (tongue in cheek of course) about Bob Dylan and the electronica beat (generation.)

I wonder if other forms of rock music have as much humour prevalent or are they all pretentious instead...

Back to the topic.

I wonder if anyone asked Nick Mason to play - on a Wall show... or all of them...

Funny thing about drummers btw. Bruford included - they seem to be rather readble writers.

Again back on topic... perhaps someone could suggest "nice part time earner on the side, cash job," and see if they can find the time for a spot of money...Approve
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234