FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gibson's top 50 guitarists of all time

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2018 at 02:31
Originally posted by Frankh Frankh wrote:

Lil Wayne just nosed out at #52

He's right behind Fred Durst at #51 LOL

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2018 at 00:02
Where is Randy Rhoads? So Lou Reed was a better guitarist than Randy Rhoads or Steve Vai... or Carlos Santana! 

Edit: Kurt Cobain was better than those guys too I see. Wow 

Edited by YESESIS - January 27 2018 at 00:04
Frankh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2018 at 23:52
Lil Wayne just nosed out at #52
Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.
Jzrk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jzrk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2018 at 19:36
What do you expect from a list published by a manufacturer
Pandering to the masses
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2018 at 19:36
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

And to have Lou Reed on a list of 50 greats that excludes folks like Steve Howe, John McLaughlin, Al Di Meola, Robin Trower, Peter Green or Carlos Santana? Bollocks. 

I strongly suspect this list was made with input from the idiots at Rolling Stone mag...I'm surprised they didn't put Lil Wayne on the list somewhere Wink
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2018 at 19:20
Eddy Marron could blow them all away. I hate that list.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2018 at 19:18
At first I assumed these are top guitarists who play Gibsons.  I can see that's not the case. 

Jeff Beck (who does sometimes play a Les Paul .. but again, not the point)

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2018 at 18:52
^McLaughlin is too good to be discerned by the ears of your average listener, of which, this entire list is propagated Wink

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2018 at 18:11
I am still trying to figure out who and in what other dimension ever said that Lou Reed was a great guitarist? I have not, ever, in almost six decades on this planet playing in bands and listening to music ever heard anyone say "Man, that Lou Reed dude can really jam on guitar." 

And to have Lou Reed on a list of 50 greats that excludes folks like Steve Howe, John McLaughlin, Al Di Meola, Robin Trower, Peter Green or Carlos Santana? Bollocks. 

Seriously, I'd like to see half the guitarists on that list pick up an acoustic guitar and try to follow along with this Wink:

Edited by The Dark Elf - January 26 2018 at 18:19
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2018 at 14:58
no Roman Bunka on the list, but then I'm not surprised. he gets overlooked here too, though he is absolutely phenomenal

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2018 at 10:42
1. It's of course going to be popular guitar players from well-selling bands.

2. A more accurate title would be "Top 50 Guitarists from Bands That The Massive Record Labels have The Money to Promote, Advertise, and Push Down Your Throat, Irrationally Making you Think this is All There is for Guitar Players" 

Cool

Edited by Frenetic Zetetic - January 26 2018 at 10:51

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2018 at 10:26
No Steve Howe? WTF?
Aurelius72 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurelius72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2018 at 09:24
Okay first off this list is a total joke and so are the monkeys that made it. Understanding that guitar playing is 50% subjective is fine, but there still has to be a parameter that is used to judge. Otherwise I could easily say that I am the greatest guitarist of all time and it would be valid in some ways.

That said, I don’t think anyone who has half a brain is putting Cobain and the dude from the Sex Pistols or Jack Black in a serious conversation or on a serious list.

I love Keith Richards but honestly he wasn’t even the greatest Stones guitarist. Harrison was fun as well but top 10???

And David Gilmore not top 5 or 6??? Who made this list??? 5th graders????

Also, to all of you jack holes crying about Prince being number 14 stop it. You either know dick about playing a guitar and have never really picked one up or you just don’t know jack about music and probably couldn’t tell the difference between A, and A# if you heard it. Either that or you just never really listed to Prince play, but either way you should shut the eff up because you obviously have no clue as to what you are talking about.

Good place to start, go to YouTube and watch Prince, Tom Petty, and others on a live tribute performance of George Harrison’s well my guitar gently weeps. Prince is every bit a top 15 and maybe higher, don’t let your own music bias fool you. The could play with the greatest of them.
smbeck24 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smbeck24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2010 at 17:51
Dead  I see the list is actually titled "Top" 50 guitarists, not "Best" 50.  This distinction might allow for the likes of Jack White, Slash, Angus Young, Keith Richards, The Edge and even Neil Young.  Not being a musician,but definitely knowing what I like and think of as excellent playing, each of these can certainly be said to be recognizable in style and playing, while not master technicians or speed-burners.  I do agree that leaving the Steves, Hackett and Howe, off shows a definite bias against prog, at least they managed to leave complete butchers like Richie Sambora off the list.
sb24
A B Negative View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A B Negative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2010 at 13:48
Originally posted by Follix Follix wrote:

The fact that Keith Richards is infront of Fripp, Zappa, Gilmour and B.B. King, is quite a joke...

The fact that Keith Richards is in front of B.B. King would probably make Keef laugh in disbelief.

Remember folks, "best" doesn't mean "fastest" or "most technically complicated". Wink
"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."
caretaker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caretaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2010 at 08:37
I'm a prog guy but Chet Atkins and Les Paul 8 and 22? Are you sure this wasn't a Rolling Stone list?
ten years after View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ten years after Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2010 at 08:12
Originally posted by chrisk chrisk wrote:

Alvin Lee plays a mean Gibson -see Ten Years After at Woodstock

Above average.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2010 at 20:38
How about:

George Benson
Jan Akkerman
Frank Gambale
Larry Carlton
Larry Coryell
TheClosing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheClosing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2010 at 19:36
Originally posted by NecronCommander NecronCommander wrote:

But then again, if people like Jack White, John Frusciante, Kurt Kobain, and The Edge can make this list, where the hell are John Petrucci, Steve Howe, Kirk Hammett, and Alex Lifeson?  Hell, I bet Steve Wilson is a better guitarist than a lot of people on this list.
I'll take John Frusciante over Kirk any day. John is a damn good guitarist, and an interesting one to boot. 
The Monodrone View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Monodrone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2010 at 17:55
^ Agree.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>