Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPet Peeves I Have With Reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pet Peeves I Have With Reviews
    Posted: October 14 2010 at 07:56
Originally posted by JLocke JLocke wrote:

Originally posted by Textbook Textbook wrote:

"Don't read reviews that bug you" cracks me up. How do you know if a review will bug you before you read it?

See, there's this little thing known as 'skimming' . . . 
How the hecky-thump do you skim a 1 paragraph 250 word revie
What?
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2010 at 05:57
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Don't read reviews.
[/thread]
Fixed.
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2010 at 05:56

But that won't tell you whether you like it or not either. Do you skim a CD or movie or book before you experience it properly? No because it doesn't give an accurate impression of what it's like.

JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2010 at 05:38
Originally posted by Textbook Textbook wrote:

"Don't read reviews that bug you" cracks me up. How do you know if a review will bug you before you read it?

See, there's this little thing known as 'skimming' . . . 
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2010 at 05:28
40footwolf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2010 at 22:46
The last one is definitely a pet peeve of mine too. It's actually a bad habit I've gotten into that I'm doing my best to break. 
Heaven's made a cesspool of us all.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2010 at 20:49
it's not really a pet peeve, but I notice some reviewers consider an album rating to be the average rating of an individual song on the album, as if the album does not really exist as an entity in and of itself
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2010 at 21:10
Originally posted by Antennas Antennas wrote:

My current pet peeve with reviews is that a lot of folks don't seem to understand that giving three stars to an album actually means that it is GOOD, hence why there are so many 4- and 5- star ratings being given out - even when in the actual review, there's a complete litany of 'why this album isn't perfect'-reasons given! 

Even I myself have fallen into that trap more than once (will adjust it when I feel like doing so), as I feared I wouldn't get rightly understood if I'd give a 'GOOD' album 'only' three stars...

I feel your pain man, been saying that since I got here.  Some folks feel like 3 stars is a diss and pretty much start at 4 for anything they like.  But don't lose sleep, just stick to  your own system.  Eventually regular users figure out how people rate and they can pretty much predict what that persons rating means to them.  They might say....oh that guy gave it a 4, so its probably a 3 for me, etc.

I know I've both under-rated and over-rated albums myself based on excitement or disappointment, we all make mistakes, but eventually I check albums again and "adjust' as necessary to what I believe the real rating to be.   This is kind of an ongoing thing, there's probably still a few clunker ratings out there.  Time can change your views, some albums hold up over the years, others not so much.

Some people just rate more conservatively, others less so.  But the important thing is to try to follow the guidelines and use 3 for a Good album, 4 for excellent/awesome, and 5 for the super-rare masterpiece. My view is that 5% generally, of a large and diverse collection, is 5 stars.  Sure that could vary, but thinking of the best/top 5% of all albums gives one general definition of "masterpiece" for people to consider. 

Edited by Finnforest - October 13 2010 at 20:55

Antennas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2010 at 20:32
My current pet peeve with reviews is that a lot of folks don't seem to understand that giving three stars to an album actually means that it is GOOD, hence why there are so many 4- and 5- star ratings being given out - even when in the actual review, there's a complete litany of 'why this album isn't perfect'-reasons given! 

Even I myself have fallen into that trap more than once (will adjust it when I feel like doing so), as I feared I wouldn't get rightly understood if I'd give a 'GOOD' album 'only' three stars...

Edited by Antennas - October 12 2010 at 20:33

Jesus never managed to figure out the theremin either
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2010 at 18:18

I've done that in the past. It's just a way to keep things interesting as I describe the effect the album has on me. I never review albums on my first listen. If people don't like how I go about doing the review, they are welcome to ignore my work. 

I don't think that there is a problem with the review on the first look/listen. As a film reviewer, you only get that one chance and you write the review, so doing the same with music is not an issue for me ... but it does require one thing that I am not sure a lot of reviewers here are capable of doing ... and that is ... the world is out there, and it's ideas and designs for "progressive" shouldn't exist ... so you can listen to it with fresh ears.

For me, listening to any music is not about me chasing down this progressive ideal or band or that something or other band or that romantic composer ... and when you go into it as an "experience" ... rather than comparing it to what you have heard before ... in the end, your experience with music will be limited by the filters you have imposed.  Same with film ... and you're gonna tell me that all 6 Jason films are good ... duh, duh, duh ... simply because it is this or that ... To keep it fresh and interesting you have to let go of the idealism, to appreciate the moments in time ... and this is where a lot of "progressive" music nowadays ismostly idealistic and copy, and not innovative. I've given them all the same year I did for PF and KC and AD2 and FZ ... !

The open ear is far more adventurous, imaginative and enjoyable. You discover new worlds. You discover new paints. You discover new images. ... and they are not "yours" ... they come from the music, or the film ... and this is the material that makes for a great "review" of the work. That is the freshness that film lives for, and so many arts try hard to make these images come alive so you can see it as well ... and the best music in history? ... it all does just that! It is not just a lyric!.

And it is the main reason why it is so bizarre to me when people say I only listen to metal, or prog or this or that ... they are limiting their experience. It's their choice of course, but being a reviewer, your preference is NOT what the review is about ... the only preference I use is ... I don't do reviews for top ten or for any top money films. There are plenty of those opinions every where already!

Edited by moshkito - October 12 2010 at 18:34
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2010 at 23:12
Pet peeves eh?....

Those reviews that award 5 stars for erm...cultural significance e.g. Dark Side of the Moon and In the Court of the Crimson King are very good but deeply flawed albums if appraised on their musical merit irrespective of genre. Some of said reviews end up by stating:
' some really dodgy tracks but for its contribution to Prog ***** Confused

Those reviews that award 1 star for erm...the author's ignorance e.g. this Keith Emerson solo album is not Prog and does not sound like Tarkus and does not have any tracks longer than 4 minutes *
(the artist being listed in the crossover section to boot) Confused

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2010 at 18:53
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

My favourite peeve about reviews concern the ones where the reviewer actually listens with a stopwatch and informs everybody when each solo, break, change, or whatever occurs, down to the very second of every track.

What a strange way to listen to an album.  I just can't translate that to usable information at all.
Agreed. I think such reviews come about when a reviewer is listening to an album for the first time, and writing the review as he/she listens.
For me if u are reviewing an album its best to have it going sometimes as u review and then u may hear a piece u adore and u check and see that it is happening at 3:25 so u post that on the review. It does 2 things for me, 1. it shows the passion of the reviewer and

2. is a great reference point for where the reviewer is gaining most enjoyment...i have occasionally reviewed albums this way - its fun and gives a depth that other reviews may lack..

on the subject of reviewing every song on the album - i do this often as i gain most enjoyment of reviewing this way, and i usually read reviews most that do this as i want to know whats on the album as a whole, not read one paragraph of responses. the music is most important and the quality of every track. if a reviewer is stating every track is a compelling brilliant prog experience i will check it ou... reading reviews here lead me to Magma, Triumvirat, IQ, Spocks Beard, and Transatlantic, so I am grateful, and there are heaps of others. I will admit i only mainly read reviews from collabs, or PRs rather than the others, i guess i trust their judgement and they are rarely dishonest fanboys. 

thats a segue to
My pet Peeve 

people who review every album with either 1 stars

or

5 stars

its obvious they cant be trusted and many do it here to bump up their favourite artist or vice versa rather than giving a true indication of the quality of artists work. theres no way every album of an artist is a masterpiece - even the best have down times.

That's why I don't pay attention to the rating.....
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2010 at 16:33
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by m2thek m2thek wrote:

1. Writing a review as one paragraph 

It can be done, but it dang better be so well written in that paragraph that you are going to spend 10 years
It's OK as long as it is a really really long one.

By the way, serious assistance here for the guilty parties.  You have to manually put in a space between paragraphs (hit enter button twice).  Yeah, I know, it's a pain in the ass, but it works.

Alternatively, as the tips tell you, you can put <p> at the end of a paragraph then the next word will start a new one. Wink
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2010 at 16:32

My favourite peeve about reviews concern the ones where the reviewer actually listens with a stopwatch and informs everybody when each solo, break, change, or whatever occurs, down to the very second of every track.

What a strange way to listen to an album.  I just can't translate that to usable information at all.
Agreed. I think such reviews come about when a reviewer is listening to an album for the first time, and writing the review as he/she listens.
For me if u are reviewing an album its best to have it going sometimes as u review and then u may hear a piece u adore and u check and see that it is happening at 3:25 so u post that on the review. It does 2 things for me, 1. it shows the passion of the reviewer and

2. is a great reference point for where the reviewer is gaining most enjoyment...i have occasionally reviewed albums this way - its fun and gives a depth that other reviews may lack..

on the subject of reviewing every song on the album - i do this often as i gain most enjoyment of reviewing this way, and i usually read reviews most that do this as i want to know whats on the album as a whole, not read one paragraph of responses. the music is most important and the quality of every track. if a reviewer is stating every track is a compelling brilliant prog experience i will check it ou... reading reviews here lead me to Magma, Triumvirat, IQ, Spocks Beard, and Transatlantic, so I am grateful, and there are heaps of others. I will admit i only mainly read reviews from collabs, or PRs rather than the others, i guess i trust their judgement and they are rarely dishonest fanboys. 

thats a segue to
My pet Peeve 

people who review every album with either 1 stars

or

5 stars

its obvious they cant be trusted and many do it here to bump up their favourite artist or vice versa rather than giving a true indication of the quality of artists work. theres no way every album of an artist is a masterpiece - even the best have down times.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2010 at 14:36
^ Then I guess my "pet peeve" is the use of 1/2 stars to say this is horrible/krapp/trash/worthless.....
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2010 at 14:22
Hi,

Well .. it does say "Pet Peeves" on the thread discussion! Cool
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2010 at 14:19

I've done that in the past. It's just a way to keep things interesting as I describe the effect the album has on me. I never review albums on my first listen. If people don't like how I go about doing the review, they are welcome to ignore my work. 

And in fact, one of our most prolific and treasured reviewers describes songs in that manner....and I know for a fact that a lot of our members love his reviews.   So there's probably fans of every style. 

As a wise collab once noted, just be yourself and write honestly and respectfully, and don't write more than you need to make your feelings known.  For most people, the more they write, the better they get.  Smile

JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2010 at 13:33

Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2010 at 12:52

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2010 at 12:44
I absolutely pay no attention to the rating number.....I just read the commentary and whether 4 sentences long or 4 paragraphs long is not an issue for me.
Its the CONTENT that makes me want to listen to an album. And also a 1 or 2 to me means nothing since based on the definition it only means,,,,'you should get this album only if you are a completeist'.

I don't interpret 1/2 as krapp/trash/blowup/use as cup coaster.....to me there is no rating for that in the PA.

Content is what I am looking for......now the quality of the content is another topic.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>