Topic ClosedOverdubs in Live Performance

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Overdubs in Live Performance
    Posted: June 10 2010 at 15:32
I was reading a interview  with Ronnie Stolt (links on the PA archives), where Ronnie says that some bands make overdubbs of their live performance. He didn't name anyone, but i feel strange to know that some of my live cd or dvd recordings are overdubbs. Do you think that those bands are screwing us all by doing that? If i want listen to a live performance, i want hear the mistakes, that what a show is all about. What do you thinK?

here's the link :

http://www.nealmorsefans.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=206&Itemid=38&lang=en

Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

J-Man View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2010 at 15:44
I read that interview a little while ago, and overdubs can either work miracles or completely destroy the live experience. I'm fine with a few overdubs to fix really bad sounding screw-ups, but I can't stand it when a band will re-record almost the entire live album. It defeats the purpose of a live album in the first place.

I guess my opinion depends on the situation. Generally I don't like overdubs, but they are occasionally necessary.

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
beebs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2010 at 16:11
Zappa's "Roxy and Elsewhere" has overdubs on it, but I still find it one of the best live albums ever recorded, regardless.
"Nothing is at last sacred but the integrity of one's own mind" * Ralph Waldo Emerson
unclemeat69 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2010 at 16:33
Some of my favorite live-albums have overdubs.
There are only a few zappa livealbums that I consider true livealbums, not only for the overdubs but also that they contain mostly new music and usually little interaction with the audience with some notable exceptions (with audience participation).

I generally prefer studioalbums.
Follow your bliss
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2010 at 16:39
I Know it's almost impossible no to have any overdubbs on a live recordings, but what i don't like is when you overdubbs a entire live performance, except for the drums. If it's the case , it will be more appropriate to listen only to a studio album. Maybe bands are trying to find a good balance by not putting too much overdubbs, so that we can have (the listener) the experience of a unique performance of songs we already know by their studio version.

Emile M. Cioran

yanch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2010 at 16:50
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

I read that interview a little while ago, and overdubs can either work miracles or completely destroy the live experience. I'm fine with a few overdubs to fix really bad sounding screw-ups, but I can't stand it when a band will re-record almost the entire live album. It defeats the purpose of a live album in the first place.

I guess my opinion depends on the situation. Generally I don't like overdubs, but they are occasionally necessary.

I agree. I'd prefer if live albums were always truly live, but if overdubs are used to fix bad tracks I can live with it.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2010 at 16:52
Originally posted by beebs beebs wrote:

Zappa's "Roxy and Elsewhere" has overdubs on it, but I still find it one of the best live albums ever recorded, regardless.

A lot of Sheik Yerbouti is live with studio overdubs, but this is made clear on the album notes. One of the best live albums (straying off prog for a mo) is Thin Lizzy's "Live and Dangerous" and this is supposed to have had a bit of studio tinkering.
unclemeat69 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2010 at 16:57
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by beebs beebs wrote:

A lot of Sheik Yerbouti is live with studio overdubs, but this is made clear on the album notes. One of the best live albums (straying off prog for a mo) is Thin Lizzy's "Live and Dangerous" and this is supposed to have had a bit of studio tinkering.
Them Or Us is based on liverecordings, although it sounds like a studioalbum.

On Live And Dangerous it's backing vocals and some guitars, I think.
Unleashed In The East (Judas Priest) same thing (not to mention the first 2 live albums by KISS)
Follow your bliss
squire4001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2010 at 16:57
well actually some overdubbs are essential for live performances because the sound sometimes is not very good, despite some shows are legends, for example "the wall live" contains overdubbs you can clearly listen this in "comfortably numb", compare the album audio with the original footage, the voices are not the same, even the gilmour`s solo at the end is quite different, overdubbs sometimes are necessary.
Prog´ everyday in every way of your life including music!
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2010 at 16:58
As long as the album sounds good I don't care where it's recorded and with how many overdubbs.
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2010 at 17:02
I dislike that. I mean, do as many overdubs you want in the studio, but the live shoul be live with all of its limitations and imperfections.

Of course, thinking progressive, with a sound source you can do anything that you want, but then it's not 'live' for me anymore.

There's another thing I witnessed on Tull gig:the band is playing live, but there's a sample adding extra layer - pre-recorded mandolin along with live guitar, or recorded vocal choir on My God. I prefer performances without that (unless it some ambient noise like rain, traffic, waterfall or bird tweet).

SMSM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2010 at 17:14
I've seen too many live recordings sounding terrible because of not realizing the reality that unless your in Carnegie Hall or some other ever venue,  the recorded sound leaves something to be desired.

Let us forget botched notes and other miscues.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2010 at 18:20
Hi,

This has always been an issue ... and the best example I can give you is that Jimmy Page didn't get it right this time. When you listen to the bootlegs the stuff came from in "The West Was Won", the quality might not be good, but the performances are energetic, and the shows are magnificent even if there are some obvious mistakes here and there that Jimmy decided to take out and overdub.

End result?

Not even close to the energy of a Led Zeppelin performance in those days. And when you hear it, your emotional sense is going to be grabbed, but there is a little something or other behind it missing that you won't be able to put a finger on ... and it is the part that only 1% of all the people will ever be able to tell and hear and figure out ... you pretty much have to be an audiophile for this ... and you will find that the parts that are really clean, are the overdubs, because the rest has background stuff that you can't erase, change or duplicate perfectly.

In general, the majority of bands that are not good enough to get on the stage to do their stuff, I don't bother with. But there are some bands that do really difficult things, and I have no issues with parts of their stuff being pre-recorded and they play over it or with it. I'm ok with that, since there are so many parts to deal with ...

There are many elements in progressive music that are not easy and it makes sense to use the technology at times, but not to change what was obviously a bad moment or performance that needs to be cleaned up in house, not on the CD that is being sold. And then there are people like the Rolling Stones, that are so bad live ... that they have to clean up the records! But if you tell me to feel sorry for a band that has cheap and easy music to have to do overdubs, I seriously would reconsider in everyone's mind their professional status -- there are a lot of bands out there that at least have some pride in their work! And the quality of its appearance!

Frank Zappa's situation with overdubs, more often than not had to do with some other naughty stuff ... and I doubt that the overdubs was on the music itself, since one of the things he was excellent at is making sure that the music worked, and did so in a live manner, which is something that a lot of his music has always done so well. You don't have to catch Zappa plays Zappa to know that what you are going to hear and see are musicians that are 10 steps above the majority of any classical musician you will ever see or find! And on occasion there were some funny things that are not on Roxy and Elsewhere ... like one night there was a date auction with one of the musicians, and it was meant to be fun but was the lead in to the next song! You don't really need that on the CD. Or one night, the girls danced, and that ended up staying on the album!

Frank also used the overdubs to create new stuff with music that he ended up bringing back to the group to play, which is often much harder to duplicate and do. This, is not always possible on the live albums, but from night to night you can see how some material often changes and improves. CAN also did this for tings like Tago Mago, and it was a way to create new music out of the air and challenge musicians to go further. And many did very well, and Frank is the best example of that process. Can does not have that many recordings of them doing Augmn or any of the real hard core experimentations. By that time, however, Frank already had way too much material to play anyway that you couldn't possibly even make up your mind as to what to use each night!

Edited by moshkito - June 10 2010 at 18:30
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2010 at 19:32
Zappa also used overdubs on purpose. like taking a live guitar solo from a song and putting it on top of a studio song that is unrelated to the live one. or overdubbing some insane vocals or noises over a live track (City of Tiny Lights)

Make A Jazz Noise has no overdubs, and everything is executed perfectly

and wasnt Shiek YerBouti considered a studio album, even though a lot of it is live? Zappa did lower the volume of the audience to almost zero...

Edited by darkshade - June 10 2010 at 19:33
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2010 at 07:13
On the archive box set from Genesis, supposedly according to prog friends , Gabriel and Hackett overdubbed for The performance of the Lamb and various tracks on the 73' live disc which features material from Selling England and Foxtrot. Don't quote me though. I am lazy and neglect to surf the web for that info. I personally don't prefer this process but, many musicians obviously do not feel comfortable with aspects to their vocals and playing on live recordings. It's their preference to overdub and I personally have no comment regarding that. I assume their personal reasoning is valid.
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2010 at 07:33
You might want to realize there's usually 4-6 members in a prog band and very often more than 4-6 instruments/tracks on a given song. Daniel Gildenlow recently said when asked about his favorite song to perform live that he really can't answer because no song will sound the same live as in studio. Kinda talking past the question, but when you can Pro Tools the hell out of your songs in studio, it makes live performances a letdown sometimes. And when prog bands especially rely on intricacies and layers in songs, sripping away the trappings can make it...no so good.
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2010 at 04:12
Perhaps this idea isn't very much accepted around here, but studio-overdubs after a live recording are standard. There is almost no band who doesn't do it. It's almost impossible to play every note right and the technical side of the music fails now and then. Magma is one of the few bands that plays gigs without making one mistake. This bootleg from Nijmegen - Holland is a good example. http://cgi.omroep.nl/cgi-bin/streams?/nps/output/musicmeeting2010/concert_magma.wma .
paganinio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2010 at 04:40
Originally posted by kingfriso kingfriso wrote:

Perhaps this idea isn't very much accepted around here, but studio-overdubs after a live recording are standard. There is almost no band who doesn't do it.

Exactly. If you release a dub-less live album I will NOT buy it.
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2010 at 05:14
Originally posted by kingfriso kingfriso wrote:

Perhaps this idea isn't very much accepted around here, but studio-overdubs after a live recording are standard. There is almost no band who doesn't do it. It's almost impossible to play every note right and the technical side of the music fails now and then. .

That is not true, what about bands that record their show and make a instant DVD of it (Marillion dit it) and Yes are selling it on a usb key for every show of their recent tour.

Edited by rdtprog - June 12 2010 at 05:15

Emile M. Cioran

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2010 at 06:40
It's a case of damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Few can deny that Thin Lizzy Live & Dangerous is a great live album inspite of the overdubbing and if rumours are to be believed Yessongs is also stuffed full of them, but as a record of how early Yes transposed to the stage it is a valuable document.

Pink Floyd & David Gilmour get criticised for employing dozens of live musicians to realise the studio sound on stage, yet as far as I am aware there are no overdubs on Live In Gdansk, while Pulse and Is There Anybody Out There mix recordings from different shows - just how much of that is technically overdubbing is open to debate, but what you hear was played live, if not all in the same venue..
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>