Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Ray Manzarek: Favorite The Doors keyboard moment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRay Manzarek: Favorite The Doors keyboard moment

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ray Manzarek: Favorite The Doors keyboard moment
    Posted: November 02 2011 at 23:23
Originally posted by The Quiet One The Quiet One wrote:

My favorite Manzarek moments is his gentle playing on Riders on the Storm and his fabulous organ work on When The Music's Over.

Same here
Trotsky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2011 at 12:19

Have always rated Ray Manzarek as among the alltime great rock keyboardists. The organ work in When the Music's Over, electric piano of Riders of the Storm, even the boogie-woogie piano of Roadhouse Blues and the harpsichord-sounding work in Love Her Madly come to mind. Much more versatile than he's given credit for, IMO.

"Death to Utopia! Death to faith! Death to love! Death to hope?" thunders the 20th century. "Surrender, you pathetic dreamer.”

"No" replies the unhumbled optimist "You are only the present."
giselle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2011 at 09:40
Its wrong to suggest that Manzarek was  less of a keyboard player than the more obviously virtuoso players like Emerson, Ritchie, Wakeman etc; people seem to forget that Manzarek also played the bass with his left hand. He did a fantastic job of both music parts at once.
NickHall View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2011 at 04:26
yeah, Light my Fire solo work and loads of great stuff
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2011 at 17:13
The overlooked "Yes, The River Knows"

Great subtle playing by all members, but the jazzy keys really just sweep me off my feet.

Edited by Horizons - October 15 2011 at 17:13
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
jean-marie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2011 at 10:33
It might be Rider on the storm....but not that sure
FAIS QUE TON REVE SOIT PLUS LONG QUE LA NUIT HAVE YOUR DREAM LASTING LONGER THAN THE NIGHT
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2011 at 21:53
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

With a group like the Doors, who exemplified the phenomenon of 'the whole being greater than the sum of its parts' there's a danger in drawing spurious conclusions about the constituent elements maybe not standing up to closer scrutiny.
Manzarek was clearly no technical virtuoso (interestingly, Krieger was on classical guitar) but such would have been inappropriate for the band's music. So for me Ray was a brilliant 'feel' player who unerringly conjured up the appropriate mood and textures to best display Morrison's vocals. He was also clearly an accomplished blues, boogie and stride player as evidenced by his piano on People Are Strange, Roadhouse Blues and Alabama Song (the list goes on)

Take Densmore, Kreiger, Morrison or Manzarek out of the volatile equation and the Doors would just sound like a thousand other mediocre Acid Rock bands from the west coast.

Ditto (all of it, but especially the bold)
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
JazzMusicArchives.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2011 at 19:53
With a group like the Doors, who exemplified the phenomenon of 'the whole being greater than the sum of its parts' there's a danger in drawing spurious conclusions about the constituent elements maybe not standing up to closer scrutiny.
Manzarek was clearly no technical virtuoso (interestingly, Krieger was on classical guitar) but such would have been inappropriate for the band's music. So for me Ray was a brilliant 'feel' player who unerringly conjured up the appropriate mood and textures to best display Morrison's vocals. He was also clearly an accomplished blues, boogie and stride player as evidenced by his piano on People Are Strange, Roadhouse Blues and Alabama Song (the list goes on)

Take Densmore, Kreiger, Morrison or Manzarek out of the volatile equation and the Doors would just sound like a thousand other mediocre Acid Rock bands from the west coast.

halabalushindigus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2011 at 17:47
for me it has to be Light My Fire

assume the power 1586/14.3
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2011 at 15:55
Ray is definetly in my top 5! Light My Fire, The End, The Crystal Ship, The Soft Parade, L.A Woman, Tell All The People, When The Music's Over, Riders On The Storm, The W.A.S.P (Texas Radio and The Big Beat), Roadhouse Blues, Spanish Caravan, the list goes on....

Edited by Fox On The Rocks - October 14 2011 at 15:58
Gooner View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2010 at 21:47
I prefer Ray's solo work to The Doors.  I met him briefly this past Summer.  Very nice man.

"Solar Boat" from The Golden Scarab.

...but if I had to take a Doors track where Ray shines, I'd have to say "Not To Touch The Earth".
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2010 at 21:13
Hi,

I think Ray had a hard time coming up with the music that Jim wanted to back his words, but to his credit he did it and came up with a fabulous body of work, very little of which is conventional in any sense of the word, and the use of the instrumentation was always tasteful and very careful to ensure that Jim got his words in and out and it did not deter from the words themselves.  And that is the mark of a very intelligent musician that can appreciate wordery that is way more than just a song and a clever line about sweet little sixteen that most rock bands were so eager to write about ... and still are, except it's done in rap with different words!

It's a shame that a Wakeman would be considered "progressive" because of his synthesizers, and a Manzarek would not ... specially when it comes down to it, Manzarek's body of work vastly out numbers the work Wakeman did with his band, before he decided he was a star ... at least the Doors knew the difference between a star and an idiot and preferred to honor Jim and the music with the respect, dedication and inteligence that most of it was all about.

Sadly, most audiences only remember the hits! Not the music!

When the music is over, turn out the lights ... and nothing in this world will ever say more about "music" ... and what it means to you and I.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2010 at 09:06
THIS!

and THIS!

God Was A Mellotron View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2010 at 07:57
Imho, the two fast organ solos in Take It As It Comes are pretty hard to beat Clap
Manzarek may not be on a par with Minnear, Emerson and Wakey technically speaking, but he's got the psych groove and unique sound!
halabalushindigus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2010 at 14:53
r u kidding me???

solo/lightmyballs

assume the power 1586/14.3
rod65 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2010 at 12:11
Originally posted by Ronnie Pilgrim Ronnie Pilgrim wrote:

Manzarek's style did define The Doors, once they were established. And I didn't jump on this thread to bash him, either. But if "Light My Fire" didn't open the door for The Doors LOL that might have become a moot point. Therefore saying Krieger could have easily been replaced is rather questionable.

I agree: Krieger could not have been replaced. He was not a generic guitarist by any means, and his creative contributions were, as you point out, important both for their musical content and for their impact on the band's career.
Ronnie Pilgrim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2010 at 11:58
Manzarek's style did define The Doors, once they were established. And I didn't jump on this thread to bash him, either. But if "Light My Fire" didn't open the door for The Doors LOL that might have become a moot point. Therefore saying Krieger could have easily been replaced is rather questionable.

Edited by Ronnie Pilgrim - July 05 2010 at 12:00
rod65 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2010 at 11:51
Originally posted by Ronnie Pilgrim Ronnie Pilgrim wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I thought Manzarek was the most important member of the Doors, in terms of the sound and atmosphere the band produced. Jon Densmore and the guitarist (name escapes me) could have been replaced by virtually anyone at the time. Morrison had a unique voice and approach to writing lyrics, I guess.

The man whose name escapes you is Robby Krieger and he wrote their biggest hits, such as "Light My Fire" and "Love Her Madly." I think he was the best member of the band, a textbook case of an overnight sensation. And it was "Light My Fire" that made them one.

Personally, I think Manzarek is overrated and don't care for his keyboard work.

I don't think Manzarek is as skilled a musician as some other keyboardists whose names frequent this site, but he did excel at setting an atmosphere and mood in which boththe lyrics and guitar seemed at times to float. Regarding Robbie Krieger, I agee that he is a gifted musician. He was quite young when they made their first record, and I think his playing really matured as they progressed. I've heard some of his post-Doors work and found it quite good as well.
Ronnie Pilgrim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2010 at 11:35
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I thought Manzarek was the most important member of the Doors, in terms of the sound and atmosphere the band produced. Jon Densmore and the guitarist (name escapes me) could have been replaced by virtually anyone at the time. Morrison had a unique voice and approach to writing lyrics, I guess.

The man whose name escapes you is Robby Krieger and he wrote their biggest hits, such as "Light My Fire" and "Love Her Madly." I think he was the best member of the band, a textbook case of an overnight sensation. And it was "Light My Fire" that made them one.

Personally, I think Manzarek is overrated and don't care for his keyboard work.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2010 at 23:00

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>