Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat's with all the Anata hate?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2010 at 20:37
Originally posted by toroddfuglesteg toroddfuglesteg wrote:

Originally posted by avalanchemaster avalanchemaster wrote:

MAVIII:

Clap

There is no need to campaign against art because it does not fill you with excitement. 

You are accusing me for campaigning against Anata ?? Shocked That is, to put it as nice as possible, horse manure. Not to mention; a lie and slander. And frankly, you are discrediting Anata with your rant.  

I never accused YOU (it's a blanket statement towards people in general- who feel the need to squash what they hate and fear or merely dislike) of campaigning against anything.  Some do so just to show their ire though.  I'm not mad, merely bemused by people's dichotomous ratings on here... Just because I state things rather seriously does not mean I am flaming or hating.  But then, it's hard to tell without personal face-to-face interaction.....or emoticons... I guess I am using this as an example of the site at large; as someone already stated:  fanboys vs. haters.  Nothing has been directed at you as mudslinging.  And you should be able to separate one guy's take on a notion from the artwork he is talking about.  (i.e., my statements should in no way discredit a band....because if that were the case, I could safely assume that you are giving the picture in your avatar a discredit -for example-, or any further railings against something on your part is means for discrediting it.)  Would you (or anyone) start hating a certain classical (or any musical) artist you previously enjoyed, merely because you found out Hitler sponsored them?  Or what if someone else who offends you claimed to like something you enjoyed- would you start to knee-jerk hate it?  (Go back and read my statement re: critics...) I would hope that you can separate the art from the artist.  Lord knows that there are several musicians out there who are dickheads but their music is lovable (to some- once again an opinion). 

This was not intended as a flame war.  I thought I made it pretty clear what I was mulling over.  Pardon me for typing my thoughts!!!???  Confused  Seems like others are more concerned with flaming me and picking apart everything I have typed, analyzing it to the very last thread... ANALyzing... message boards, oh how they keep people divided... LOL We're all guilty of keyboard jockying...

funny; how no matter which side you start a thread on (in favor or opposed to something), there will always be derision and opposition- almost for its own sake!  As if people needed desperately to prove something!
Are we really that grumpy and quick to jump at each other?  shame.

avalanchemaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2010 at 20:49
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

MAVIII:

Clap

thank you!  you invested WAY more time and thought into this thread than I had/have and made some excellent points.  This is about more than just the band Anata themselves, it is about unbridled denigration of art merely because said art does not suit someone's taste.  There is no need to campaign against art because it does not fill you with excitement.  I feel that is what has happened here.  I clearly think that Anata was and were somewhat ahead of their time with the technical, thrashy, and progressive death metal aspects of their music.  In their latest album they even had clean, almost jazzy lines and solos and really very progressive, shifting riffs.  I may one day review their albums, but I don't really need to prove to anyone my love for the band, nor should I try to convert anyone else; but I don't think their music deserves anything less than a 3.  To some they may be average, but others exemplary.  There are several bands (even on this site) who are far less interesting than Anata.  In my opinion at least....

The last five words.
Everything is said. It's only a matter of opinion.

Even if Anata is a band of my time (I was 20 when their first album came out), I've never thought of listening to them (the worst was that my local library had this records among their collection).

Oh, so they are sellouts for being in a public place, eh?

I guess Nile and Arch Enemy overshadowed them, not to mention my interest for the French metal scene.

Nile and Arch Enemy are pretty damn pedestrian if you ask me-

I also feel a contradiction in your ranting: you're putting some nearly philosophical lines about art VS. excitement, saying: "there is no need to campaign against art" - which is the last thing one would do on this forum.

then why are you doing it right now?  Campaigning against my campaign... which is a campaign against the lowraters, who are campaigning their feelings...

After that, you write "I don't need to prove my love for this band, nor should I try to convert anyone..." These lines make me speechless, for they are a contrast with your previous statements and the main goal of your thread: to prove that Anata should be given better marks and more stars.

why are you typing this if you are so speechless?  I never set out to prove they were good to anyone else, it's just a difference of opinion...

One personal example: I gave 4 stars for Alchemist's Jar of Kingdom (I was the first one to review this record), but UMUR gave it only 2. Well, I haven't felt the need to open a thread to show my "angar" and to start a flamewar against anyone claiming not to enjoy their music.

Case in point:  Alchemist bore me to tears.  Is this a flamewar?  I thought it was just a statement of disappointment...

Art - would it be music, painting, sculptures or dance - is a matter of personal views and choices. The appreciation of any creation is a subjective experience, through the brain and, therefore, the mind, the intellect, the education... of a living person with its own emotions - INCLUDING AN EXCITEMENT since one can feel joy and excitement from intellectual stimulation.
To have little interest in ONE band, ONE movie, ONE comic, ONE creation is not campaigning against art: it's only expressing its opinion about the said creation.

thanks, you just restated what I have already.  And I meant "campaigning" loosely- jeez you guys hang on people's every word around here!  Again:  It sucks (imo) that a band gets such low marks when they are at least worthy of a 3 (an average score) or more.

Now, go and write a review for Alchemist and give'em 6 stars.

haha.  touche.  You should start a thread about how Alchemist is deserving of 6 stars- or that we should have a possibility of 6 star ratings!   Wink

Edited by avalanchemaster - June 15 2010 at 20:49
DisgruntledPorcupine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2010 at 21:26

I really don't think you should complain about hate for a band with so few reviewers. These reviewers just happen to be people who don't like the band. I'm sure there is tons of people here who like Anata but just never thought of reviewing or have never heard but would like if they did. I wouldn't base something on such a small group of opinions.

Edited by DT-PT - June 15 2010 at 21:30
MAVIII View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2010 at 22:44
You know . . .

This will be my last rant.  And then I'm stopping my subscription to this thread Ouch.

Agree to disagree. I mean it.

I just came from a rather long and arduace walk, at a fast pace, because of the situation I live in,
no matter what I do, its the wrong thing.  It sums up my life, damned if I do, damned if I dont.
And I was pondering all the words in just this one thread, and of many (Posts) I've seen of late,
this thread even holds more validity than what most of the threads have become at PA . . .
IM f**kING RIGHT AND YOU! ARE f**kING WRONNNNNNG!!!!!! <--said with MUCH anger Unhappy.

This Music in the whole vast scheme of things does not matter to the Record Industry or the
"outside world", we are like that metaphor I used (hey, if you can read a Book or a Review, you
can read my rant).
I was also thinking, Why do I need a Review of a Movie, Art or a Band?  I'd rather have a description
of a Band than a review Geek.  I march to a beat of a different drummer in almost all I do so I'm gonna'
be the best critic (I . . . am a Loser, I will get mad if someone calls me that, but I know of my failures,
I dont need anyone to remind me).

I have soo many problems to deal with, most would take a gun to their head  . . . its THESE very
Musics, Album Covers, Artists that keep me alive and hopeful whats around the corner. And
good decent folks that dont judge me by my long hair and the music I like, they judge me by the
character of the way I treat people.  The way I want to be treated, just plain simple kindness.
Forget singing Cumbaya and putting flowers in each others hair . . . TURN IT UP!!!! turn up the
music you like and just enjoy it Exclamation

What does the music mean to YOU . . .
Thats it.  Thats what matters, what does the music mean to YOU.

This place is becoming like the YOUtube comments . . .
You can help taking out soo much of the Animosity that has gathered at PA like a dark cloud that
wont stop raining.  Just agree to disagree everyone and enjoy your own music.
(That goes for MMA too, but so-far, it hasnt been too bad . . .)

-MAVIII and I stand by this message Rawks(Go look at my links to discover more Tech Metal
at the end of my last rant! Big smile).

"Shapes and forms, against the norms..."
And join the Prog Family: prOgulus.com
toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2010 at 01:14

Avalanchemaster.

I get your point and I accept it. But for the record: I am one of very few people who has written about Anata i mainstream media. I have interviewed them on two occasions. I have reviewed their albums many times. There is a lot of bands I really like. Anata is one of them. But I no longer like their music. I am always, always reviewing music on it's own merits and not on the merit of friendships or personal fondness or even hatred towards the musicians. The same goes for other things in life. One of my best friends is a convicted terrorist and a murderer. I abhor what he did in a conflict which is now over, but I like he as a person.

The whole point is: Always make a distinction between "he/she is" and "he/she does".  

....... and I can see that you share this view/I share your view. Excellent !

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2010 at 08:13
Originally posted by toroddfuglesteg toroddfuglesteg wrote:

Avalanchemaster.

I get your point and I accept it. But for the record: I am one of very few people who has written about Anata i mainstream media. I have interviewed them on two occasions. I have reviewed their albums many times. There is a lot of bands I really like. Anata is one of them. But I no longer like their music. I am always, always reviewing music on it's own merits and not on the merit of friendships or personal fondness or even hatred towards the musicians. The same goes for other things in life. One of my best friends is a convicted terrorist and a murderer. I abhor what he did in a conflict which is now over, but I like he as a person.

The whole point is: Always make a distinction between "he/she is" and "he/she does".  

....... and I can see that you share this view/I share your view. Excellent !

Excellent.  Glad we agree.  I wish there was more camaraderie online!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2010 at 08:31
MAVIII,
Damn man, you are right on the money with what you call that "rant".  I enjoy your passion and zeal for life, in spite of whatever problems you may have in it.  I agree wholeheartedly that the "I am right, you are wrong" deal has gone too far.  Perhaps I contributed to that unfortunate exchange.  It's sad that most people rely on that as a survival mechanism.  I realized last night after going through the responses throughout the whole thread, mine and others (and as I was later driving on a 3 lane main street- with people competitively roaring past each other- riding each other's asses in their cars- blasting their music) that most people need to be left alone to be safe in their insecurity (hey, I'm trying to be conscious of it myself!).  It's insecurity that motivates us to prove to everyone else that they are wrong and that we are the only correct ones.  I have tried to communicate in a manner that points out the fact that my posts are only my opinions, even though I have gotten caught up in going back and forth; yet I feel I did it without being a real jerk.... guess we need to take the bait less.  What it comes down to is things can get carried away really fast and misinterpreted or just picked apart because online interactions tend to be like scavenging parties for online buzzards- where people live to pick you apart.
We all are at this site for many commonalities.  Let's try to keep it civil please.

After what I have experienced on this message board several times and even in this thread, I have stopped subscriptions to many threads because of these things that make online interactions so relentless and cold.  I even considered deleting this whole thread, it has become just another exercise in futility- whether on my part or all other parties involved- even though there have been some great lines to read... It's always a learning experience....Big smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2010 at 12:47

Your thread makes me feels like this dog and I am pretty sure I have written thing in thread that are as intelligent as this dog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNMrrwo1m_A

I need to lay down on my triple-massage sofa.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2010 at 21:35
when all else fails, just be an ass....

the funny thing is that you are getting mad over nothing but words and differences.  And the attacks at intelligence are rather relative, comical, and just juvenile.

This is why I hate most metalheads, because they are generally pretty quick-tempered and myopic.

Edited by avalanchemaster - June 16 2010 at 21:37
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2010 at 02:12

when all else fails, just be an ass....

the funny thing is that you are getting mad over nothing but words and differences.  And the attacks at intelligence are rather relative, comical, and just juvenile.

This is why I hate most metalheads, because they are generally pretty quick-tempered and myopic.

Exactly my own verdict on what I have written and said too. That dog = myself.

...... But it would help ProgArchives if you were kind enough to do some reviews of the Anata albums. That is just a humble wish. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12