Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Live Performance Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNearfest 2010... a review.. and thoughts..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2010 at 05:26
Excellent Micky, many thanks... Looking forward to reading about the rest of the festival.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2010 at 05:59
Originally posted by Drifter Drifter wrote:

Geez.

I live in the area and I'm just now finding out about the event. Cry

that's a shame...  there is always next year and perhaps they'll have an even better lineup. So far it is looking great with two interesting bands already tagged to appear. One from Sweden and another from Indonesia.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2010 at 06:18
so we come to the last day of Nearfest.. so with one eye on Italy's match at the World Cup.. and another great night's sleep behind us... we arrive early to check the vendors and make any last minute purchases.

So Sunday's lineup ..

Moraine - had heard of them and had heard very good things so was very interested to see them and hear them.

Pineapple Thief -  oh... how I wondered how this was going to go down here at Nearfest haha. I like the group.. not a 'fan'.. but have enjoyed their music being exposed to them through my old capacities with the site. However.. well.. more on that later..

The Enid - can I be honest....  zero expectations here.  Never heard an album.. and only a few samples back when I first found PA's and listened to some samples.  Didn't float my boat.. and never really explored the group.

Eddie Jobson and a bunch of killer instrumentalists -  can't say I was looking THAT forward to this since we saw him last year with a similarly killer lineup.  Great show then so expect nothing less here.. and yes..  I had earplugs this time. Not sure who their soundman was last year..  but suspect he was a sadist who believed the soundboard had a master volume switch that went to 11. My ears rang for days after that show last year.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2010 at 06:39
Moraine was first up to play on Saturday ... as Dennis noted in their set.. the 11am artists are generally considered to be reserved for the 'wack bands'  I wouldn't exactly call Moraine a wack band.. but an wonderful group with very eclectic sound.  A highlight for me was the portion of the set which featured the traditional Chinese music.  (so much so that I bought his solo CD, Views From Chicheng Precipice).  The band apparently was working it's way through a stylistic shift having really lost a founding member and having added some new players.  Never would have known if they hadn't told us, they sound very tight and I found the music to be very interesting.  As a matter of fact, just finished listening to their album as I've been typing and it is some really good stuff.   Definitely worth checking out.  The audience seemed to really dig them so I think they went down well with everyone. A big thumbs up from me.

Next up was the Pineapple Thief...  now I'll be honest...  I was probably as curious as to how their music would be received by the audience as much as their performance itself. 

oh yeah...  did I nail that one and the group did not help itself at all.  While fans of the group enjoyed the set I'm quite sure.. the general feeling I got which mirrored my own feelings is that they came on and started with their less progressive material and lost a good many people, and considering the nature of the music... you have music that even at it's most progressive still is found to be completely... err.. un-prog by a section of any particular prog audience.  I saw more people walking out midset than I remember for any artist.  The shame of it was their best, and most interesting stuff came at the end of the set. I thought it was a great set... but think they really could done more to help themselves if they had recognized that most of the audience was.. well...  christ.. they were EXCITED to see 'One and a half friends' hahah. This is a classic prog audience and one of some years. While I'm sure some not familiar with them.. even many. .gave them a open-minded chance, lord knows how many they may have lost by sounding at the start like what many like to call groups of their ilk...  nothing more than indie with some progressive elements.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2010 at 07:06
next to last was a band that I awaited with curiousity ..and some trepidation.. The Enid.

Even though as some long time member might recall, I was a member of the symphonic prog team back in the good old days of the site, it really has never been my favorite brand of prog. Sure many of the leading lights of classic prog were considered 'symphonic'.. none of them were in the same vein as The Enid.  From what I knew of the group I did not expect this was a set that I would enjoy, appreciate? sure.. of course. But I prepared myself for being put to sleep ...  god.. how I love being wrong.

The Enid was exactly what you might have heard about it.. it was not prog rock.. it wasn't rock..hell..  not even sure it was prog as people like to think of it.  it was as watching a true classical symphony performed on stage by 5 guys with a couple of geetars and a boat load of computers and technology.  The kicker of it was...  I LOVED the show.. yet .. unlike every artist I've been turned on to.. I was not inspired in the least to go out and buy any of their albums.  The power of the Enid was the performance itself.. and one I can't see being able to come across on CD. An amazing performance for sure..  to be honest.. I didn't think Forgas Band Phenomena was going to be topped.. but they were.  Yet..  I'd rather base my musical memories of the band on what I heard there..and what I saw. Anything outside of an intimate theater with the feeling of you and the artist being joined together would.. for me.. completely lose the effect of the music. This isn't music I .. or many I suspect.. can sit and enjoy while at home.. trying to read.. f**king around on the internet.. or cleaning the house.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2010 at 07:26
oh yeah.. before I get to the final act..

some more random thoughts of the weekend.

first off.. if in Bethlehem.. and relatively new to Nearfest...  check out Sal's Brick Oven Pizzaria.  Great food...  great service.. and the young lady who served us.. like any good Italian.. loved Banco hahha.

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=sal%27s+brick+oven+pizza+bethlehem+Pa&fb=1&gl=us&hq=sal%27s+brick+oven+pizza&hnear=Bethlehem,+PA&cid=18177939459187881595

A big shout out to our friends, Robert from 3RDegree and the Patrick from Tea Club who we got to see again in Robert's case and for the first time in Patrick's case.  Can't wait for the new albums guys!!

Of course I can't mention friends without mentioning HT, David, and Walter.  It was a real joy to touch base with them after a year and pick up as if we never had left.  We both also met lots of new friends and hopefully come next year we'll see each other again and pick up where we left off.  Cheers everyone..

got to run.. back later to post on Jobson's set..
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2010 at 08:38
Great story so far Micky!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2010 at 10:05
thanks Tony! Heart

more random thoughts about Nearfest and the state of the prog community.

Amazing stuff that goes on there besides the music, or even the vendors.  Talk about a community taking care of it's own.  A guitar was raffled off, signed by all artists that played, for ....may I burn in hell for not remembering who it was.. for a member of the community fighting cancer.  Very inspiring.. and while we didn't win it.. we were happy to contribute as I'm sure everyone was. 

I was really intrigued by a few things that Robert from 3RDegree told me after I asked him about any shows they might have lined up in the months down the road. We saw them here locally last month and was nice to touch base again with that great group of guys.. especially Robert and George. Hey George.. if you read this, sorry to have missed you and hope the gig went well.. I bought both of your solo albums. It will probably several weeks to digest everything we bought but I'll let you know what I think of them!  Anyhow ..back to what Robert said..  found it sad that that bands like that are forced to decide between taking their music live directly to people .. or getting on with the hard business of working on a new album.  Granted 3RDegree is not a group of 20 somethings living only for the music.. but are like us with real jobs and families to support so I guess it would be no surprise to hear that playing ProgDay, and doing the live DVD (sh*t.. still need to watch that) set back their new album back 6 months.  Nice to see, on the other forum, that the fallout from the Pineapple Tree discontent and trashing won't affect the diversity of the artist asked to play.. especially bands like 3RDegree that show that you can damn well mix prog and pop...and do it so well.  I'd be pleased as punch to see them up there on stage.

Curious to see if this year's lineup..  the already wonk-titled 'Year of the Tribute Band' might lead to some changes with bookings... towards a more modern direction and less away from the classic stuff.  More avant.. more crossover.. or gasp.. more of the prog metal side of things..who knows. That day will come of course.. these guys won't play forever. The question is when.  These cats aren't get younger.. Yes is trashed for being a tribute band ..crap.. are you kidding me...playing with the classic lineup sans two. For a band that made a career of proving the sum has always been greater than the parts.

Edited by micky - June 22 2010 at 10:09
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2010 at 10:40
anyhow.. let me wrap up this extended review with the Sunday headliner... Eddie Jobson and the Ultimate Zero Project.

yes.. I'll admit.. it was a letdown for me.. last year.. my first Nearfest seeing PFM absolutely blow the roof off the Zoellner Arts Center, in the process showing more energy.. and creativity showcasing Stati Di Immaginazione that many current (and much younger bands) could ever muster. Part of the letdown was of course having seen him just last year.. I guess we should never complain about having more than one chance to see artists like him at the twilight of their careers, especially when you have never seen them before. Part of it was of course..  well... Eddie Jobson was a collaborator. working with the greats, like Curved Air, Roxy Music, U.K., Zappa, Tull, .  Never thought of him as being the leader of anything just a incredible talent and cog to many great bands and albums. It is what it is regarding booking acts though.. you take what you can get I suppose.

As far as the set... I see there is a lot of discord regarding some of the pendantic sides of this show. People not happy with the act being late to arrive on stage, forbidding the use of camera and cellphones.  Forget that crap.. I thought everyone came for the music.

The music itself..  if you love U.K. or seeing two of the best drummers in the world go at it.  You would have loved the show.  I loved the dueling drummers bit, having become a big fan of Marco Minnemann, having seen him lay waste to the Jammin Java last year.. and making Simon Phillips in comparison look me on the drum kit after another  20 spot of Newcastles haha.  Loved Marc Bonilla's vocals and you can see why he is so highly regarded and why he is tapped to work with artists like Jobson and Emerson. The man can flat out sing and though you would never know it from the show..  can really play the hell out of his guitar haha.  Several King Crimson songs got the Ultimate Zero treatment.. Starless and of course Red. I though they were well done.. a nice touch for me was the cover of ELP's Bitches Crystal.

in short.. it is what it was.. a tribute to the music of the past.  I'd be lying if I thought it was the most exciting thing I'd heard over the weekend..  lying through my teeth because it was no where close to being that. That said...  it was another chance to see Jobson, Billy Sheehan, the drummers from hell work out some good old time prog. So with that.. Nearfest 2010 closed.  While my personal enjoyment of the music was mixed.. some great.. some not so great.  It was a wonderful experience and we will definitely be back again next year. Hopefully to see old friends.. new friends...  and perhaps even some of you all. No it isn't cheap to get there. nor get in the door.. but it is worth every cent or ounce of trouble it might be to get there.

Cheers.. and peace

M.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2010 at 13:27
Just want to chime in about Nearfest and prog festivals.  For anyone who wants to experience the community Micky describes, and get to know "the scene" but can't afford to make the trip, you can experience Nearfest 2009 (and other east coast prog festivals) by watching this brand new feature film documentary, just released on DVD.  It covers the event Micky just described, on the ground, with great affection....and you get to see some killer bands....including Italy's DFA and La Maschera, plus Phideaux, Deluge Grander, and others. 
Extensive interviews with all the bands and important "prog insiders." 

I'm surprised this film is not making more waves, anyone who loves the current scene should be jumping all over this DVD.  Check it out.  Review and how to buy linked below the trailer.

Buy here: http://www.progdocs.com/ProgDocs/ProgDocs.html

Review: http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=29432

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2010 at 15:56
great recommendation Jim.  Makes me wish we had got that while we had it right in front of us haha.  They showed a lots of segments of that DVD in  the dead time before the artists got on stage.. and yes.. and speaks exactly to what I was trying to drive at..  my inspiration at least in reviewing this so those that didn't go.. might seriously consider the next one. It really is a sense of community, in addition to all the goodies like live music and CD vendors.

funny...  shame it didn't have the Diablo Swing Orchestra latest as a soundtrack... they had that playing while waiting for a band to come on and I immediately picked it up from Razor's Edge after that show. Diabolical... already listened to that today as we start doing one-off's of all the CD's we got.  Great stuff..

Edited by micky - June 22 2010 at 15:59
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2010 at 16:15
It sounds like you guys had as good a time as last years show.  (And what nice guys those DFA dudes seem to be) That had to be just phenomenal to see. 

I think the one thing they are missing out on is releasing some of these full sets on DVD.  I'd kill to have that DFA show on dvd, as I'm sure many prog fans would who live too far to come.  Same with the European festivals.  I realize some do get released on dvd, but not enough of them.  I'd buy lots!LOL Release more LIVE DVD!!

Last, nice that you got to meet Pat.  I'm drooling over that new TC album, have been since they started telling me about it months ago.  I've already got part one of their new interview sent to them, the other half questions will go once I hear that album....send it guys!!AngryWink

Drifter View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2010 at 17:26
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Geez.

that's a shame...  there is always next year and perhaps they'll have an even better lineup. So far it is looking great with two interesting bands already tagged to appear. One from Sweden and another from Indonesia.

At least that will give me ample time to save up some money. Still, it's a drag to miss something like this that's practically in your own backyard.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2010 at 19:24

Geez.

At least that will give me ample time to save up some money. Still, it's a drag to miss something like this that's practically in your own backyard.

it's been there in Bethlehem for 12 years now.. a sellout every year.  Unlike this year.. next year there'll be a bit more buzz around here for the event.  This site is a bit more international than some other prog sites so I guess you really can't blame the site for not getting the news out.. doesn't help that main attendees from the site are not exactly active on this site either.  HT has gone 3 years in a row now.. the first year I remember he was quite disappointed in the lack of attendance here.. last year we got some more people including my wife and myself to attend, but still very few, but at the time we were both still fairly active on this site and tried to stimulate some interest in it so the news was out there. This year...  HT, David, and my wife has moved on to other things in the prog/internet world and I've been tied up in other things myself so I don't suppose there was much here regarding Nearfest.

Anyhow... watch for info come next winter regarding tickets for Nearfest 2011.  The event will sellout and you have to be on the ball to get tickets.. unless you want to be brave and wait to get tickets from those who sell them privately.. not being able to make it.. or having too many tickets.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2010 at 19:41
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

It sounds like you guys had as good a time as last years show.  (And what nice guys those DFA dudes seem to be) That had to be just phenomenal to see. 

I think the one thing they are missing out on is releasing some of these full sets on DVD.  I'd kill to have that DFA show on dvd, as I'm sure many prog fans would who live too far to come.  Same with the European festivals.  I realize some do get released on dvd, but not enough of them.  I'd buy lots!LOL Release more LIVE DVD!!

Last, nice that you got to meet Pat.  I'm drooling over that new TC album, have been since they started telling me about it months ago.  I've already got part one of their new interview sent to them, the other half questions will go once I hear that album....send it guys!!AngryWink

I'd like to hope that someone from The Enid sees my comment.. and puts out a DVD of the Nearfest show.. though Raff told me that she had read that The Enid sold every one their CD's that they brought to Nearfest so perhaps my observation didn't mirror others.   Listening to a CD is one thing.. but seeing a band deliver the goods on stage is a completely different matter.  The Enid had a major equipment malfunction a couple of minutes into their first piece and had to wait for a computer to get fixed.. then start all over again. It is the way they handle those kinds of things, which of course happen all the time, that really add to the enjoyment of seeing live music.  They are pros... and as I alluded to with Astra.. it is great to see kids who might have puked before the show backstage for nerves for all I know haha,  put out a killer set of music knowing this was their big opportunity to impress a lot of people. That is a pressure beyond describing ...f**k that up... you've just screwed yourself for a good long time.. if for good considering the wired, and connected niche fans that are prog fans.

Meeting Pat, and his wife Jenny, was a real highlight of the whole weekend for me and something I had looked forward to for some time once I found out they'd be there.  Though unfortunately I didn't get to talk to them as much as I would have liked. I think Raff got a bit more time with them than I. I have often said of The Tea Club over the last year.. this is a group that I really hope 'makes it' in the prog world.  Their first album was frickin great... as I wanted to tell Pat but wasn't sure how to do it without coming across as an ass...  I think it says something about an album that when you have ..well.. a lot  of prog albums.. that when you decide to regularly (which I still do today) grab a particular album by a new...young.. just getting started group.. you know it is frickin good.  ie.. there is no sentimental attachment to it as we have for many of our albums.. I just love listening to it because it is a great album.  I really can't wait to see what they come up with next.. sounds like it is coming soon.  Will be looking forward to the interview Jim Clap

Edited by micky - June 22 2010 at 19:44
Drifter View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2010 at 19:43

Anyhow... watch for info come next winter regarding tickets for Nearfest 2011.  The event will sellout and you have to be on the ball to get tickets.. unless you want to be brave and wait to get tickets from those who sell them privately.. not being able to make it.. or having too many tickets.

I'll definitely be prepared for the next one. I've only recently gotten into prog/ progressive which is probably why I didn't pay attention to all the previous Nearfests. I probably heard of it before but it associated it with something like Musikfest! Even if I don't attend all the shows, I know I'll end up buying a ton of CD's from the vendors.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2010 at 19:47

I'll definitely be prepared for the next one. I've only recently gotten into prog/ progressive which is probably why I didn't pay attention to all the previous Nearfests. I probably heard of it before but it associated it with something like Musikfest! Even if I don't attend all the shows, I know I'll end up buying a ton of CD's from the vendors.

oh yes.. the vendors part of it is like I said.. part spiritual.. part erotic.. and come after Nearfest when you look at either your next CC bill or your checking balance...part horror movie hahhah.

Hope to see you next year.. well down a few beers and I turn you on to some killer prog haha. Smile
calyx_AL View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2010 at 12:16
Thanks for the great review, Micky... And for using Karolina's pic as avatar...
The band's performance was multi-track recorded and filmed, we're hopeful that some of it might be used in some form (bonus live stuff or even DVD) on the next album. You don't often get a 7-camera crew, and the band's performance was great for the most part (I have to trust others' opinions on this, I was standing on the side of the stage and couldn't really hear everything properly).

The band are now safely back in France... It was all a wonderful dream for them - and the great reviews here and on PE are much appreciated too.

Aymeric
dsm221b View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2010 at 19:21

Enjoyed NF this year. But not as much as the last two years.

Admittedly, it will be difficult to beat last year’s line-up containing VDGG, Gong, & PFM. And the year before was Banco, Peter Hammill, Koenji Hyakkei, & ecolyn – another stellar cast.

Overall, I found the sound engineering / mixing a little inferior this year. Almost everything was too loud. And too heavy on guitars & drums. Judging by the number of times the artists gave urgent hand signals to stage-right, I think the bands noticed this problem too. When everything is too loud, it reduces the dynamic range and potential drama of performances. Prog is a finesse-based form for the most part. A bit more attention to sound is needed for next year.

Riverside – missed most of this performance. We just arrived in from Ontario, Canada – 7 hour drive. Arrgh. I hear this band was good. Walter says it was one of his favorites.

Steve Hackett – always brilliant guitar work; never misses. I like his quieter stuff better; it suits his style better I think. And the bassist, who looked and acted like a cross between King Kong & Little Bo Peep, was distracting and annoying. The comments about the Genesis stuff being less than perfect are probably true – we noticed the same thing. But I hate to be negative – this was a good Hackett show if you ignored a couple things. He is a gentlemen and an excellent guitarist.

Astra – we liked this show. Cool visuals that were a good match for the music. Playing was excellent and vocals (though not many) were decent. The song structures were a little long/repetitive, but that seems to be the intention. Of course, long/repetitive songs leaves lots of room for extended guitar solos, which can be tiresome if melodic passages are substituted for mere multiplicity of notes. These guys are good, and are capable of some drama and intensity. If they remember that drama is created by variation between power & subtlety, we can watch out for some excellent future work from this band.

Forgas Band Phenomena – another good show. The music was very challenging in places – which is a good thing for us proggers. Very well played. There were some humorous antics between songs due to French/English translation – all in good fun. The guitarist’s sound/distortion seemed to be a little much. The prog/jazz format would have been better served with a more subdued guitar sound. Especially in view of the fact that they had a decent variety of other instrumentation with some other excellent players. Again, better mixing would have helped. And Mr. Forgas has a lot of finesse as a drummer – nice to watch.

IONA – missed this one also. Celtic/symphonic from England. I’m not a huge fan of this genre, but audience reception seemed to be very positive.

Three Friends – Incredible. Way better than I expected. I was worried that diluting the original band so much would produce only a pale shadow of the ‘power & glory’. But not so. The players were awesome. Especially the bass player. There is a saying that a mediocre player will make something easy look hard, whereas a master will make something hard look easy. This guy was a master. No theatrics (compare Hackett’s bassist), no pomp, no antics. Just perfect playing and vocals (not easy when Gentle Giant is the set-list). If you get a chance to see Gary and friends, do not miss it! All hail the Giant!

Morriane – missed this one too. Can you tell that I travelled with my pal to NF with our wives and 5 children (total)? I would have loved to have seen these guys. There is always a Sunday morning surprise and we missed it again this year:(

Pineapple Thief - missed this one too. (This is a NF record for me for missed shows.) We overheard a number of comments about this band being a straight ahead rock band with little ‘progressive’ flavor. What little recorded material I have heard from this band seems to support this view. But I cannot speak for the live show.

Enid – WOW! I expected something big from these guys, but this show was truly an experience. The set started off rather clumsily with a computer failure about 3 minutes into the first song. The show stopped while the problem was fixed. The drummer filled in the break with a light-hearted solo vocal. The show resumed and there was no looking back after that. If you closed your eyes, you heard a full symphony at work. Mr. Godfrey is an incredible player. He is also an excellent composer – truly classical song structures. My only minor complaint regarding some of the music is that it is perhaps too overstated, maybe even a little bombastic in places. There are a number of points in the tracks where the music builds to a rousing point that is suggestive of a finale – only to continue on. We met Robert in the street later that evening – he confirmed that he is influenced by Gustav Mahler – 8th symphony specifically. Again the guitar work, while excellent, was mixed to high and too harshly – to the point of being somewhat unforgiving to technique of the player. After the show, the band were immediately and cheerfully out to meet the crowd. I was buying a CD when Mr. Godfrey walked right up to me and asked if I would like a signature (and if he could borrow a pen to do so). I directed him to the table where he was more than happy to talk with all of the fans. We tried to convince them to pop by and visit us in Canada some time for supper. We also reassured them not worry about computer crashes – my work computer crashes all the time – stupid MS Windows! Judging by the audience reaction during the speeches later in the evening, I would say Enid was the weekend favorite for most people.

Eddie Jobson & UZP – Headliner – but honestly, I think this spot should have been reserved for Enid or even Three Friends. Anyway, there was a rather long wait – they were late in taking the stage. In the lead-up to the set, there were numerous messages over-head that forbade anyone from taking pictures or making recordings of any kind; we were not even allowed to remember the show in any way (just joking). (Usually NF bands don’t care about this, so this, combined with being late, started things off with an annoying taste in mouth.) The show began with Eddie Jobson doing some noodling on a glow-in-the-dark violin. It wasn’t really a song; it was just some fast / loud arpeggios buried under a wall of effects (digital delay, chorus, wah, distortion, etc.) This introduction was essentially representative of the rest of the show.

After Enid, this band seemed like a bunch of hot-doggers. Just because you can play fast and loud, doesn’t mean you’re worth listening to. It seemed like these guys were trying to make what they were playing look harder than it was through much pomp and exaggerated antics. And yes, the two (why?) drummers were great; and yes, the 15-20min duel drum solo was riveting entertainment, but gimme a break – we get the point. And next to Robert Godfrey (from Enid), Eddie Jobson’s keyboard work was a bit of a wannabe. The singer occasionally did a good job of Wetton’s original KC vocals. But this was overshadowed by his inability to carry a tune in a bucket. The singing in ‘Nevermore’ was especially hilarious. The singer did do some passable rhythm and even lead guitar work. The other guitarist on stage-left was absent for much of the performance and when he was present, seemed to be concerned with the performance of his amp - maybe some tech difficulties. Overall, it was difficult to take EJ&UZP very seriously. ‘Ultimate Zero Project’ seemed a strangely fitting moniker for this performance.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge and affection for UK’s original work would be more forgiving than I. And I am only one opinion among many.

An idea - I know there is an effort made to have a variety of acts that include both old and new bands. My concern is that the older bands are a dwindling resource as time passes. I would encourage the organizers to focus on including older acts in the line-up now while the time is still opportune. Bands such as: National Health, Moving Gelatine Plates, Pollen, EtCetera, Dedalus, Bella Band, Quella Vecchia Locanda, Morse Code, Locanda Del Fate, Gotic, Atlas, Arti E Mestieri, Smak, Sloche, Ruphus, Quiet Sun, Il Volo, Etna, Culpeper's Orchard, Coloseum, Acqua Fragile, Terreno Baldio, Satin Whale, Fields, Mythos, Maxophone, Ragnarok, Eskaton, Druid, Comus, Biglietto Per L'Inferno, Alphataurus, etc.

I know many of these bands are secondary classics and may no longer exist, but you get the idea. Soon there will be no opportunity to hear musicians from that era. It is worth a try to get some of these guys to think about coming to Nearfest for a one-off (or more) show to celebrate the early years of prog.

As always, many thanks go out to the NF gang for their tireless efforts.

Best regards,

Dave

Canada

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2010 at 16:09
Originally posted by calyx_AL calyx_AL wrote:

Thanks for the great review, Micky... And for using Karolina's pic as avatar...
The band's performance was multi-track recorded and filmed, we're hopeful that some of it might be used in some form (bonus live stuff or even DVD) on the next album. You don't often get a 7-camera crew, and the band's performance was great for the most part (I have to trust others' opinions on this, I was standing on the side of the stage and couldn't really hear everything properly).

The band are now safely back in France... It was all a wonderful dream for them - and the great reviews here and on PE are much appreciated too.

Aymeric

not to belabor the thread... but thanks for the info and ...well.. for liking the review haha!  I had to decide between a picture of Karolina or the keyboardist from Riverside. (wasn't much of a contest) LOL  Hope to see the band  back in the states again soon... I know the French Embassy here is hosting some bands this summer in the DC area. (MAGMA!!!!  then Univers Zero a week later. I can't wait to see them) Would be nice to see the band again soon. Wink  Loved the band, and shame you had such a 'bad' seat.. it was an incredible performance.. to match some really great music. 

Edited by micky - June 25 2010 at 16:11
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12