Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedStevie Wonder for Progressive Motown

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2010 at 06:25
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

This sort of ties in with what I said about Wonder above. When SD was being debated I made it a point to listen to a lot of SD records.
Keep in mind I don't like SD and I consider their vocals to be annoying, but after listening to a lot of their music I decided I wouldn't have proposed them for PA, but I am fine with them being here. At least two of their albums, as I recall, are very progressive. Their other albums all show some effort in that direction.
But would those two very progressive albums, and the ones that show some effort in that direction, nudge them towards JR/F? In the past you have said that you thought it did.

My point of course being how many people spouting opinions on Wonder have actually listened to his music outside of his radio 'hits'.
It's a fair question, but not one that should bother any subgenre team who does evaluate an artist as we are seldom swayed by "hit singles". Personnaly I have listened to Innervisions and Songs In The Key Of Life, plus a few other tracks posted here and on YouTube. Knowing "Happy Borthday", "Ebony & Ivory" and "Superstition" doesn't affect the evaluation.

Can't remember my last borthday so well........
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2010 at 06:25
^ can you even remember your last bathday? Tongue
What?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2010 at 06:29
^LOL
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2010 at 14:15

My point of course being how many people spouting opinions on Wonder have actually listened to his music outside of his radio 'hits'.

Well I would hope those who make an opinion one way or the other anywhere here do it with some personal validation/knowledge......But you just don't know unless one of them makes a "mistake" and we all catch it.
Its a good observation, for everyone to pay attention to, me personally, I will not make comments on artists, genres I don't know or listen to, and I certainly know my musical boundries and know where my musical roots came from....but that's just me.

Although I thought everything on the internet was true???
LOL
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2010 at 14:55
^ anyone of the subgenre team members using that approach would last about 5 minutes before being caught out. Since 99.9% of the artists we evaluate no one has heard of it is impossible to form an opinion without actually listening to a representative sample of their music. Of course it's easier to make a knee-jerk snap judgement on those 0.1% of artists that everyone has heard of, but it we would not do that simply because we have a bit more integrity than that. Stern Smile
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011