Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIn The Wake Of Poseidon - King Crimson

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: In The Wake Of Poseidon - King Crimson
    Posted: July 11 2010 at 18:31
Listened to "In The Wake of Poseidon" by King Crimson again recently. As I did after the first time I heard it, I still consider it an inferior remake of "In The Court of the Crimson King". You've got a full-out awesome rocker (Pictures of a City) to open the album just like "21st Century Schizoid Man" on ITCOTCK. Then you've got a soft, gentle ballad (Cadence and Cascade) similar to "I Talk to the Wind" on ITCOTCK. Then you have an "Epitaph" styled dramatic rock epic (title track). It's just kind of lame that they repeated the pattern from the first album. That's not to say that it's a bad album at all. "Pictures of a City" is awesome, and the title track is pretty good as well. The other songs are not very memorable... "The Devil's Triangle" was done much better on the Epitaph live album when it was called "Mars". The studio version seems a lot less heavy and less frightening. What do you guys think of this album?
The Wrinkler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2010 at 18:37
I like it a lot too, despite it's similarities to ITCOTCK. Cadence and Cascade is so beautiful to listen to, and is one of my favorite KC songs. 
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2010 at 18:59
a) we already had this exact thread
b) CAT FOOD Cat Food cat food AGAIN
WalterDigsTunes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2010 at 19:01
Originally posted by Captain Clutch Captain Clutch wrote:

a) we already had this exact thread
b) CAT FOOD Cat Food cat food AGAIN

AGAIN again
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2010 at 21:31
And still, every single equivalent song from Poseidon is inferior to it's equivalent on Court, as long as I'm concerned.
himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2010 at 23:52
It's easily my least favorite KC album I've heard (I've heard everything except some of the most recent ones).  It's still not bad, but its disappointing for what I expect of KC.  As "long as I'm concerned."
Which of you to gain me, tell, will risk uncertain pains of hell?
I will not forgive you if you will not take the chance.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2010 at 01:00
Its a heavier sounding album which is the main thing I like about it. In The Court sounds very bland but does have great songs.
progman2010 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2010 at 03:59
It's a better version of the debut album. The songs are different and that's all that matters.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2010 at 15:48
Originally posted by progman2010 progman2010 wrote:

It's a better version of the debut album. The songs are different and that's all that matters.
I fully agree with this statement.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Adams Bolero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2010 at 16:24
Originally posted by progman2010 progman2010 wrote:

Thumbs Up
''Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal.''

- Albert Camus
tarkus1980 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2010 at 16:47
Wake is wonderful.  Screw the haters.
"History of Rock Written by the Losers."
esky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2010 at 16:02
Ad nauseum!
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2010 at 09:25
I feel uncomfortable hearing Poseidon described as an inferior rip-off of Court, made by Fripp after the first band decintegrated. After all, most of the songs were already around and being played by that very line-up, as can be heard on several live recordings.

But that's just for the record. I do agree that I don't enjoy Poseidon as much as Court, but I can possibly attribute that to the band at the time agreeing to put the better material on the debut.

Edited by npjnpj - July 16 2010 at 09:26
The Monodrone View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2010 at 10:56
It's my second least favorite KC album, though that's not saying much.  THRAK takes the bag for worst KC album that I currently own.  ItWoP has some very excellent tracks, and yes they did follow a very similar formula as to that of its predecessor.  "Devil's Triangle" really seems like the only track that doesn't have a 'copy' of itself on their debut.  "Cat Food" also doesn't have an equivalent on the debut.  Very good album, IMO, but it's too similar to Court.. to be their best or even close.

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2010 at 22:48
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

I feel uncomfortable hearing Poseidon described as an inferior rip-off of Court, made by Fripp after the first band decintegrated. After all, most of the songs were already around and being played by that very line-up, as can be heard on several live recordings.But that's just for the record. I do agree that I don't enjoy Poseidon as much as Court, but I can possibly attribute that to the band at the time agreeing to put the better material on the debut.

I really wish there was a recording of the song "In the Wake of Poseidon" by the first line-up that could be released with a good enough sound quality. However, I really doubt it even exists with bad sound quality.
progman2010 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2010 at 16:21
In the wake of Poseidon is my fave Crimson album. It's one of the only pre 1980 Crimson albums which has more than 1 song of melody as opposed to riff and symphonic songs which require less ability to compose usually. It was the 5th Crimson album I bought after Red, Larks, Starless and In the court and it was the first album i rated A class. I wasn't going to continue collecting after the first 4 cd's I had because 10 years on I still only rate 50% of Starless and In the court, while Larks and Red are quite good but they aren't great albums imo and Wetton has a pretty crappy voice. After all the stuff you hear about them in here you'd think they were a genius band with countless great tunes but I consider them a fairly decent band with countless band member changes which would have been very hard to follow. Imagine your fave band replacing singer and bass player 4 times in 5 years. Poseidon is the step up which was required from the original line up after their solid debut. If you complain that the title song on Poseidon reminds you of the title song on In the court(they are different compositions but both have mellotron and similar drum beat) why don't you complain that 80% of the debut album has mellotron? Obviously the band loved mellotron so you would expect some of it on the 2nd album. The 2nd album actually has variety and doesn't rely on only 10+ minute songs to drag the album out. Better sound, more variety, more melody, musians better 1 year on. 21st century and Pictures of a city are different melodies. Who cares if they both have jazzy moments. That was the bands style. The debut album is a bit boring and definately more outdated. Posiedon and Lizard are heading in the right direction although Lizard would have been better with Lake on vocals in at least a couple of songs  Wink

Edited by progman2010 - July 17 2010 at 16:26
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2010 at 21:47
Indeed Lizard would have been better if Lake had contributed too. But at least it's got one song with Jon Anderson.
 Post Reply Post Reply