FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAudiophiles?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2005 at 15:14
...moreover our friend ke9, hifi expert from 25 years knows about the effects of vibrations and power's quality.
Tony Fisher View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2005 at 15:39

1) I don't pretend to be a scientist - I am one by profession. Fact.

2) Of course I appreciate the effects of vibration - on mechanical systems such as CD players, speakers and turntables. Valves are not mechanical and I see no way that vibration will adversely affect their performance if they are securely fixed.

3) Yes, the mains is slightly affected by fluctuations in loading. That's why my PT uses an AC supply to charge a battery to power a DC motor. It's more stable that way. But it's only the voltage that's affected and in the UK the mains has been slightly downgraded from 240V RMS to 230V RMS to reduce this.

4) I agree that the test of a system is how it sounds - and I have not yet heard a cable or interconnect or a plug that significantly affects the quality of a system compared to the components in it. Physically, the capacitive, inductive and resistive differences of decent quality cables are relatively minimal and should not be significant. The output characteristics of devices vary far more. Of course, you may know better than I do.

Tony Fisher BSc, MSc, MEd.

oliverstoned View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2005 at 16:36
1) OK, you are a scientist.

2)Yes, Cd is very vulnerable to vibes like turntable.
I use carbon/kevlar plates with ceramic cones and steel/teflon "Fadel Amethyst cancellers".
"Relaxa" plate is even better (the device is in "levitation" due to two plates repulsing each others with powerful natural magnets.)
Free tip: check with a plumb level that your CD/turntable
is perfectly horizontal. If not, it creates vibrations which affects dramatically the sound.
Use hard matters like dense wood pieces to equilibrate your device in order it's perfectly horizontal.
If you don't hear nothing, it's because your system is not transparent enough.
Valves are vulnerable to vibes.
any composants are vulnerable to vibes.
Even transistor amps are vulnerable to vibes
Eventually all devices!

3) Yes, a battery is the perfect power source, cause it delivers stable power.
But more than power variations, pollution between devices is what affects worst the sound.

4)I swear that good cables affect dramatically the sound.

Good interconnect cables is the fisrt step to reach a
good level of transparency.
Without it, you can't hear nothing.
For low budget, i advice Qed Cables, musical and neutral english cables.
For higher budgets, i suggest american brands such as Kimber, Synergetic research, and of course Transparent cables which are the best of the best!

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2005 at 18:58

Oliver,

Sorry, but I auditioned interconnects from £20 to 300 and speaker cable from £8 to £100 a metre when I chose my system (I had up to £30000 to spend if I wanted to!). Starting with my own Linn LP12 as source, there was almost no difference until I put a Roksan Xerxes (my original choice of TT) into the system when subtle differences between the extremes could be discerned. When I substituted the Pink Triangle Anniversary (the most neutral and transparent deck ever built without any argument) it was clear that there was a small difference but that a set of £90 interconnects (Sonic Link Violets) were every bit as good as the most expensive. Changing amps etc affected the sound VASTLY more than any tiny differences between the cables and you certainly couldn't tell any difference at all on a TT as third rate and outdated as an LP12.

Can I ask you, have you ever actually ever HEARD an LP12 (or a PT Anniversary for that matter) or are you just going on what your friend says? I have owned both and I can't take anyone seriously who suggests for one second that an LP12 is a reference over a PT Anniversary and that I can't hear subtle differences on my system because it's "average" when it is one of the most transparent systems possible. If you could fault my system, it's TOO neutral and transparent for some and a few people find it sterile, especially those who love the fat, warm valve sound. Personally, I like what I've got!!

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2005 at 06:28
Originally posted by Tony Fisher Tony Fisher wrote:

Oliver,

Sorry, but I auditioned interconnects from £20 to 300 and speaker cable from £8 to £100 a metre when I chose my system (I had up to £30000 to spend if I wanted to!). Starting with my own Linn LP12 as source, there was almost no difference until I put a Roksan Xerxes (my original choice of TT) into the system when subtle differences between the extremes could be discerned. When I substituted the Pink Triangle Anniversary (the most neutral and transparent deck ever built without any argument) it was clear that there was a small difference but that a set of £90 interconnects (Sonic Link Violets) were every bit as good as the most expensive. Changing amps etc affected the sound VASTLY more than any tiny differences between the cables and you certainly couldn't tell any difference at all on a TT as third rate and outdated as an LP12.

Can I ask you, have you ever actually ever HEARD an LP12 (or a PT Anniversary for that matter) or are you just going on what your friend says? I have owned both and I can't take anyone seriously who suggests for one second that an LP12 is a reference over a PT Anniversary and that I can't hear subtle differences on my system because it's "average" when it is one of the most transparent systems possible. If you could fault my system, it's TOO neutral and transparent for some and a few people find it sterile, especially those who love the fat, warm valve sound. Personally, I like what I've got!!

Tony

I've just purchased an old Logic 'DM101' deck for a song,as in it's sate i bought it ie: no twweking,it's quite evident that it is a far better sounding deck without a doubt than the Linn 'Condek'I love the PT 'Anny' but as my hi-fi comes & goes as regular as changing socks, i've been offered an over priced sum for the PT that i can't refuse.The 'Anni' is without a doubt one of the most neutral decks i've ever heard but i sometimes feel it's a bit over neutral which tends to lean the Bass on the dry side slightly.As well as i'm positive the jeweled bearing is not perfect.

What's your views on the Logic...It's the last model with the big coil spring around the bearing housing???

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2005 at 13:53

Karnevil9

Anniversaries are rare (c400 made I think) and those who like the sound (or complete lack of it) will pay big money second hand. The bass is astonishingly deep but dry - you can tell easily the model of bass a bassist is using when you would have no chance on a LInn or Rega 3 (which I rate highly in the budget range). I have had no problem with the bearing; it's a novel design and seems to work well. The Audiolab amps and Mission speakers are also very neutral - that's the way I like it, but I accept it's not everybody's taste.

I heard a Logic DM 101 many years ago but the amp and speakers were not good (Pioneer + Bose (YUK!!!)) so it had no chance. Hence I can't comment on how it will sound in a decent system. My old Systemdek IIX does not disgrace itself against the Pink and still punches a long way above its price - I suspect so will the Logic. It will beat a Linn, I'm sure.

Best Wishes

Tony

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2005 at 18:44
Originally posted by Tony Fisher Tony Fisher wrote:

Karnevil9

Anniversaries are rare (c400 made I think) and those who like the sound (or complete lack of it) will pay big money second hand. The bass is astonishingly deep but dry - you can tell easily the model of bass a bassist is using when you would have no chance on a LInn or Rega 3 (which I rate highly in the budget range). I have had no problem with the bearing; it's a novel design and seems to work well. The Audiolab amps and Mission speakers are also very neutral - that's the way I like it, but I accept it's not everybody's taste.

I heard a Logic DM 101 many years ago but the amp and speakers were not good (Pioneer + Bose (YUK!!!)) so it had no chance. Hence I can't comment on how it will sound in a decent system. My old Systemdek IIX does not disgrace itself against the Pink and still punches a long way above its price - I suspect so will the Logic. It will beat a Linn, I'm sure.

Best Wishes

Tony

Tony:

Thanks for that ..funny how that is as i have a Systemdek '11x-900' here at the mo ready for off & i thought the same but i've compared the Logic to the Systemdek & i prefer the Logic.

Tony i'm not just saying this to piss Oliver off but the Rega 3 always sounded better than a Linn 'Condek' in my view but there both iffy all the same.

btw i was offered £2,750 for the Anny alone & well it's packed ready.

Have you seen the Pink Triangle 'Ventricles' Arthur Khouberserrian(P.T. MD) is selling on E-bay.Be quick though.

Karney

Edited by Karnevil9
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2005 at 03:05

Hmm, may have a go at those - though I've never heard them!!!! At the present price they gotta be cheap.

I paid £2300 for my Anny (arm/cartridge not included). I've been offered £2k for it alone but there's no way I would ever sell it. Until Arthur puts them back into production, they will remain extremely expensive 2nd hand.

Tony

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234