Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy do prog artists peak out?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2010 at 05:56
^You missed out the part where he likes to re-wright history as well.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2010 at 21:33
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Lights that shine the brightest sometimes burn out the quickest.

Oh my gawd ... another astrophysicist to join us with Brian May!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
topographicbroadways View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2010 at 09:26
it happens to any artist not just Prog Bands. But it happened to prog bands quicker because when you have 3-5 trained musicians and potential band leaders who want their say in everything egos fly and everything falls apart after efew years, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Yes, ELP, Soft Machine (to some extent) and so many more fell apart in the late 70's because of ego 

Edited by topographicbroadways - July 28 2010 at 09:27
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2010 at 09:24
Originally posted by Conor Fynes Conor Fynes wrote:

Prog is defined by new and fresh ideas. Very few people can keep coming up with new exciting things throughout the course of their entire lives.
Very true. It doesn't matter how great of a player you are for this is obviously about writing. Many prog bands in prog history would write 3 great albums then change up the style for the fourth. Some over the course of modern day history would take long breaks, leaving fans in the dark, then returning 4 years later with an outstanding work of superb musicianship and composition.

I can't seem to recall this happening to Classical composers centuries ago. Maybe that old science of heredity was a breed of an extremely higher level, as most great innovative proggies emulated Classical composers works.
WalterDigsTunes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2010 at 03:39
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by WalterDigsTunes WalterDigsTunes wrote:

^

You've been blabbering on and on for ages, yet all of your posts are equally  -->>> "unreadable"... and pointless!

With all due respect you are only showing your commercial and unartistic side. Ohhh , excuse me  ... your 3 minute song side! How progressive of you!

You could never appreciate War and Peace anyway ...

Again, brutally off-topic. What does that have to do with anything? At least you've finally delivered a short comment. Really, who wants to read a load of irrelevant clutter that is, more often than not, completely wrong and full of dire errors?

Oh, and I'll take The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire over fictional scribbles any day.
Ruby900 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2010 at 07:40

How very prophetic!
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman
Lozlan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2010 at 11:06
I think the tendency of prog artists (and really any contemporary musical artist) to peak out has a great deal to do with the pace at which society produces and consumes culture. Mass communication, the dissemination of text, and most recently the internet, means that we are hyper-conscious of the developing artistic world.  The outcome of this is that we consume culture as fast as we can produce it.  I vividly remember the so called 'Latin explosion' at the end the the 20th century...one artist had a hit, and suddenly the media was expounding on the newest overwhelming trend.  I saw articles comparing Ricky Martin to The Beatles, no joke.  The same thing happened with the swing 'revival' - one or two notable songs, and a whole slew of declaratory articles in music magazines heralding the second coming.

Taking that into consideration, I think that musical artists are forced to observe others observing them.  Following an acknowledged success, the band becomes self-conscious, aware that they produced something valuable and subsequently crushed beneath the expectation of further innovation.  I remember reading an interview with Roger Waters, talking about the band post-Dark Side - they were all terrified that they had reached their apex, that there was nothing left to say.  In Floyd's case they managed to convert that anxiety into several more masterpieces, but many bands crumble beneath the scrutiny.  Jumping out of prog for a moment, I remember reading about Def Leppard's guitarist, Steve Clark.  He freaked out on the Hysteria tour, trying to break his fingers in the bathroom prior to a show.  He made it through the tour, but was dogged by the certainty that Hysteria was the pinnacle of the band's career.  He eventually died at age 31 from a collective overdose of alcohol and anti-depressants.

Couple this with our culture's current obsession with youth.  We like our rock stars to be young, fiery, passionate and visionary.  Somewhere we stumbled across this conception that, after the age of thirty or so, even the most revolutionary musical artist becomes a dinosaur.  I think that most bands are aware of this cultural expectation, and so frantically attempt to 'change with the times,' or at the least try something drastically different and usually ill-advised.  This is why artists tend to flare, then fade, then flare up again a decade or so later with much better material: they've gotten over the age hump, and come to terms with culture's expectations.  Of course, even if they start producing vital work again, chances are it will only be consumed by old-time fans.  I know that Nektar's latest releases haven't cause much of a stir outside the heavily cloistered prog community...although I suppose they never really received the accolades they deserved.

All this comes back to a culture that manically documents every trend (imaginary or real), every new idea, every innovation or revitalization of an older genre.  I think that being in a relatively well-known band must feel like being permanently captured in the camera's eye, there to excel while you can and then, inevitably, fall from grace. 
Certified Obscure Prog Fart.

The Loose Palace of Exile - My first novel, The Mask of Tamrel, now available on Amazon and Kindle
GY!BE View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2010 at 17:41
Society and its evolution definitly have something to do with the peaking.

Edited by GY!BE - September 28 2010 at 17:42
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2010 at 17:50
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Oh my gawd ... another astrophysicist to join us with Brian May!

My name may be Brian however I am not astrophysical. Wink
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2010 at 18:17
Kind of thinking the answer is obvious, people get old, inspiration wanes.

Edited by Slartibartfast - September 28 2010 at 18:18
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2010 at 19:25
I would like to put more stress on this:
Originally posted by friso friso wrote:

Their's a need for a certain environment in which progressive groups are encouraged to be innovative.

I personally think, that every artist needs a certain social environment for best output. If an artist competes and interchanges with many similar artists at the same time, the chances to create masterpieces rise.

Sometimes in history there are peaks for certain genres, for example Surrealism peaked in the 20ies and 30ies of the 20ieth century. And for Prog Rock it was the 70ies. Why just in the 70ies I tried to explain somewhere in the middle of this page:
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71497&PN=4
When the 'big time' of prog was over, the creativity of those bands/artists became less as well.

The prog bands from the 90ies onwards never had this kind of social environment, they were always in a kind of a relatively small 'sub culture'. So I expect that these newer artists or artists, residing in niches, do not follow the development of the 70ies bands, with one peak and then slump. I expect there the 'usual' up and down.

(And the slumps that follow the split of the bands, of course, but this applies to any rock band, not only prog.)
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2010 at 19:50

That's not true at all. I am very inspired to take a nap. I suppose you meant that in regards to creating music specifically. I suppose that's true.

There is also the drive to be different and "way out" that comes with youth. At some point we either settle in and be happy with what we can create or get frustrated and crotchety that we physically cant keep up with our own minds.
Tengent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2010 at 22:21
^that sig made me lol so hard

Meh. I think it really depends how far a composer wants to go with their music. I don't want to say that artists do have a steady decline aren't true to themselves, but I feel that they could do better. If I felt I had run out of ideas, I wouldn't put out sh*t music. I'd give myself time to compose good music. So it really varies. My definition of perfect  music can differ in 12 years. And there's the money factor. And the sociological aspect. Etc.
Cygnus567 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2010 at 01:46
It's called the 80's. The 80's ruined every genre of music. The 80's is the great sell-out period.
Ruby900 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2010 at 03:13
Originally posted by Cygnus567 Cygnus567 wrote:

It's called the 80's. The 80's ruined every genre of music. The 80's is the great sell-out period.
Probably...........
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2010 at 14:32
Originally posted by Lozlan Lozlan wrote:

I think the tendency of prog artists (and really any contemporary musical artist) to peak out has a great deal to do with the pace at which society produces and consumes culture. Mass communication, the dissemination of text, and most recently the internet, means that we are hyper-conscious of the developing artistic world.  The outcome of this is that we consume culture as fast as we can produce it.
On the one hand, this is a reasonable point. But on the other hand, classical musicians (and in the early modern era, jazz musicians) produced far more music than pretty much any rock musician without losing steam in many cases. Now they didn't have to worry about recording the damn things and, like with Bach, they were often looser about reusing material. But I think they may have suffered even more stress since they often relied on the opinion of a single person for their money. Def Leppard may have been stressed about Hysteria, and of course they had other personal problems as well :P, but they could probably have lived off the royalties from their back catalogue alone for the rest of their lives. If Beethoven pissed off the people who were his patrons, that was kind of it.
Originally posted by Cygnus567 Cygnus567 wrote:

No, not even close.
if you own a sodastream i hate you
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2010 at 14:37
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

That's not true at all. I am very inspired to take a nap. I suppose you meant that in regards to creating music specifically. I suppose that's true.

There is also the drive to be different and "way out" that comes with youth. At some point we either settle in and be happy with what we can create or get frustrated and crotchety that we physically cant keep up with our own minds.

Heck man, inspired to take a nap?  Whaaat? OK.  Now that you mention it...

I was only talking musically.  Inspired = more energy and creative drive musically.  No real consistency with musicians though. 

Edited by Slartibartfast - September 29 2010 at 14:38

tarkus1980 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2010 at 14:56
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

Originally posted by Conor Fynes Conor Fynes wrote:

Prog is defined by new and fresh ideas. Very few people can keep coming up with new exciting things throughout the course of their entire lives.
Some over the course of modern day history would take long breaks, leaving fans in the dark, then returning 4 years later with an outstanding work of superb musicianship and composition.

I can't seem to recall this happening to Classical composers centuries ago.

It wouldn't often happen with a composer's output on the whole, but composers would very frequently take a lengthy break in a particular form and come back with something that represented a substantial leap forward in that form.  Beethoven had a couple of these lengthy breaks in the course of churning out his piano sonatas, as well as with his string quartets.
"History of Rock Written by the Losers."
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2010 at 05:42
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

I can't seem to recall this happening to Classical composers centuries ago.

You had to be there. Wink

CloseToTheMoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2010 at 21:29
Think about the shift in cultures from 1965-1985. There isn't much of a precedent for that. Especially for something so polarizing as progressive rock. It had to surface to the mainstream to survive and it was just bad timing that punk and new wave reared their heads. Rush and Genesis were probably the most fortunate...if you look at it that way. 
It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>