Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy do prog artists peak out?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
TheOppenheimer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2010 at 00:06
it seems to me its the "lack of ideas" syndrome.

they put all they've got in their first work, and then they just compose whatever they find.

plus, they live in real life, after being 20, most of these guys get a job, a family, and so.

but still, id rather have it like that, that to listen to sh*tty music forever
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
A veces es cuestión de esperar, y tomarte en silencio.
Isa View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2010 at 23:51
Why is it so common (and we all know it is) that so many of even the greatest prog bands and composers get better, peak out, then slump in their discography? Wouldn't your compositional skill improve with age?

I ask this because in my studies in music history, most of the classical greats, especially Beethoven, Bach, and Handel, only got better at composing as they got older, and many released their most profound works just before they died.

This seems even true for most of the great jazz artists, like John Coltrane, Miles Davis (before he sold out), and Herbie Hancock, all who continuously put out highly acclaimed works and played with great groups their whole lives.

I'm certainly not trying say these two genres are superior to prog. I'd say prog is anything as diverse and innovative in composition techniques as they are.

But why do prog bands, even the greatest and most commercially successful, burn out overtime, almost seemingly more often than not? Certainly there are some exceptions, but it seems more a general rule to peak at a certain point in the band or composer's career and the several albums after that never get better.

Maybe prog bands tend to have more friction between members? Then why not the jazz groups? Does prog try so hard to be unique and innovative that composers run out of their innovative ideas to fast? It's certainly a relevant and interesting question.
The human heart instrinsically longs for that which is true, good, and beautiful. This is why timeless music is never without these qualities.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456