Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMost time signature changes in a song?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most time signature changes in a song?
    Posted: July 20 2010 at 21:15
What do you think it is? The most I know of is in Dream Theater's "Dance Of Eternity."

Edit: Thought I was in Top 10's when I posted this. Oh well I guess I'll wait till it's moved. Wink

Edited by DisgruntledPorcupine - July 20 2010 at 21:17
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2010 at 21:34
how many are there in Seven is a Jolly Good Time?

Noak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2010 at 09:45
Not actually Prog, but I happen to be sitting here with a page from the sheet music of ''Three Pieces for Solo Clarinet'' by Stravinsky. It changes almost every bar: 2/4, 5/8, 2/4, 5/8, 7/8 for two bars, 5/8, 2/4 for three bars, 3/8, 2/4, 5/8 for two bars, 3/4, 5/8, 2/4 for three bars, 5/8, 2/4 for three bars, 5/8 for three bars, 3/4 (6/8), 5/8 for two bars, 6/8, 7/8, 2/4 for two bars, 3/8, 3/4, 5/8. 
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2010 at 09:49
I have heard that  In the Glass House - Gentle Giant  have somthing around 10 different time changes during the hole song
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2010 at 10:00
I don't know if it constitutes a record holder but Dixie Dregs' Odyssey seems to have quite a few.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Noak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2010 at 12:12
Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

I have heard that  In the Glass House - Gentle Giant  have somthing around 10 different time changes during the hole song

It mostly changes between 3/4 and 4/4. Then, at some points, it switches to 2/4, 5/4, 7/4 and 9/4.
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2010 at 12:24
I don't know about the most in a song, but the coolest sounding time signature change is when it changes to 4/4 in Pink Floyd's Money Smile
DisgruntledPorcupine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2010 at 17:52

^^ Agreed.

In case anyone is wondering, The Dance Of Eternity has 104 time signature changes in the 6 and a half minute song. Anyone know anything with more?
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2010 at 17:55

Limo Wreck by Soundgarden have a 17/8 in the verse I dont know what in the corouse or much else but that song is amazing with all its time sigs.

Edited by aginor - July 21 2010 at 17:59
Rabid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2010 at 19:54
Mattias IA Ecklundh - Freak Guitar - The Road Less Traveled - There's No Money in Jazz.

Music to dislocate your limbs to......mental !!  Wacko Thumbs Up

"...the thing IS, to put a motor in yourself..."
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2010 at 19:59
oh and Alian Hip Hop by Planet X - try to count that one you will get dizz lizz in yore zizzy
topofsm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2010 at 20:00
I'd wager something by Behold... The Arctopus. I wouldn't know how many times they change time signature but that's cause I can rarely keep a grip on one.

DT may have one Dance of Eternity but BTA lives in a territory just beyond that complexity.

thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2010 at 20:10
Originally posted by Noak Noak wrote:

Not actually Prog, but I happen to be sitting here with a page from the sheet music of ''Three Pieces for Solo Clarinet'' by Stravinsky. It changes almost every bar: 2/4, 5/8, 2/4, 5/8, 7/8 for two bars, 5/8, 2/4 for three bars, 3/8, 2/4, 5/8 for two bars, 3/4, 5/8, 2/4 for three bars, 5/8, 2/4 for three bars, 5/8 for three bars, 3/4 (6/8), 5/8 for two bars, 6/8, 7/8, 2/4 for two bars, 3/8, 3/4, 5/8. 

I once took a conducting class that required me to conduct part of the Rite of Spring. It was really hard because the time signature changed almost every bar just like this.
Kazza3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2010 at 06:15

Excellent, excellent piece of music. But the movements 2 & 3 are insane to play.   
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2010 at 06:57
It's probably some mad Behold The Arctopus style band where you almost can't even describe it as a time change because they were barely playing in one meter before they moved to another.

I know the drummer from Planet X can barely go a couple of bars without getting bored and varying what he's doing.
daslaf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2010 at 14:01

Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

It mostly changes between 3/4 and 4/4. Then, at some points, it switches to 2/4, 5/4, 7/4 and 9/4.

In the official GG website you can find a lot of sheet music, including In a Glass House...
But now my branches suffer
And my leaves don't bear the glow
They did so long ago
Citizen Erased View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2010 at 16:29
I'm sure I counted about 27 in an Oceansize song once. Can't remember which one though.
And lo, the mighty riffage was played and it was good

<a href="www.last.fm/user/jonzo67" targe
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2010 at 16:30

Thank you for showing some people that "progressive" ... can be about the time signatures.

Sadly ... no one is talking what they feel and see when they hear it, because if it weren't for that, someone would have said Stravinsky and Dream Theater are nothing but jerks trying to make do and call whatever they do "music".

The point is, that when you see something, there is no right or wrong, and time signature is not necessarily the issue ... the feel behind it is!

To me, and to those that EVER ... studied the history of music, it was about the music ... and the transcription came later. So, I tend to say that if one is looking for the time changes, they can not feel the music much ... that's not to say they can't "trip" with the music!

Reminds me of my favorite example in "Amadeus" ... when all is said and done, the only thing that the King and his kissers can say is ... "too many notes" ... and pretty soon someone is going to say that what separates "progressive" from "rock'n'roll" is the number of time changes!

Yeah!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Fieldofsorrow View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2010 at 16:40
Planet X has a lot of changes, that's for sure. I wish Virgil made it groove a little though - it's SO stiff. Similarly, I can't get much of a feel for most of those extreme metal bands who have sought to raise the bar since Dream Theater's heyday, mainly through the medium of rapid metric shifting and rhythmic spasms.

Anyway, most of all it's hard to say, but within the rock/metal world, maybe... Blotted Science? 
Groovy teenage rock with mild prog tendencies: http://www.myspace.com/omniabsenceband
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2010 at 17:06
^ and Virgil Donati claims he is a fan of Jeff Porcaro Disapprove (I don't belive him)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>