Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 296297298299300 358>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2011 at 11:33
And this other great album : Pangea : Invasori. 1976.  Can't really tell something about it. It's a atmosphere.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2011 at 08:24
Originally posted by Lizzy Lizzy wrote:

Nice Paese dei Balocchi review. Thumbs Up A highly recommended album which, as its name suggests, is extremely playful and I have to say, well worth those 4*.
And going a couple of pages back, I have noticed that the New Trolls are not everyone's favourite band, but I will always stand by them. :D It's that huge amount of classical input that makes them so appealing to me personally. On the other hand (I don't think I have mentioned this before) I have never been drawn towards any of the 'big three' RPI bands. I've tried listening and re-listening, but I got to the conclusion that it was not my type of Italian prog. Luckily there are countless other jewels to be discovered here! Wink
So because it has been some time since I have last asked for recommendations, I suppose this would be the right moment to do so, since I'm starting to have some more free time: so concept albums and classically influenced! Big smile

A few spring to mind, but I might be mentioning some you probably already have:

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toroddfuglesteg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2011 at 08:19

Just to let you know that Sithonia has just released their new album La Soluzione Semplice.  I got it some minutes again courtesy of the postman. Review to follow next week. I probably should also take a listen to their older albums too. I am blank on this band, besides of the interview. 

Great guys though.Clap

dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2011 at 04:56
Il tempo della gioia is probably my favourite RPI album, right behind Palepoli I'd say. It's just amazing on so many levels!
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
JazzMusicArchives.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2011 at 02:30
OK with you Jim and John. For me too this album was the magic key. Except the second Vivaldi song with a Vangelis ending, the rest is close to perfection. A little bit for the heart what Stormy Six 'Apprendista  is for the brain.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2011 at 23:05
She's a beauty John...as I've said many times, that's the album that really got me into Italian prog.   That was *the* one.  The drama, the romance, the crisp sound, lots of piano, good vocals, and melody.  It's like a perfect meal.  It has some adventure as you note, yet it still breathes, it has space.  I'd never claim it is the greatest RPI album, I don't think I could actually force myself to pick one, but, it's one of the most special albums to me personally.  That's why the interview was so important to me, it felt like I was coming full circle in my time here.  

Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2011 at 22:38
Listening to QELLA VECCHIA LOCANDA's second album with the red faced girl on the cover.Damn ! The sound quality is fantastic and the drumming really impresses me.There's enough to keep the fan of adventerous music very content yet it's romantic too.Head and heart music in one.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Person Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2011 at 19:26
Originally posted by Lizzy Lizzy wrote:

I have never been drawn towards any of the 'big three' RPI bands. I've tried listening and re-listening, but I got to the conclusion that it was not my type of Italian prog. Luckily there are countless other jewels to be discovered here! Wink

I have to agree, I liked them well enough but I have never been a big fan of the bigger RPI bands.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2011 at 17:30

Suddenly I think of Riz Ortolani's score for CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST. Can we call this RPI ? Frankly I don't know. Less than Goblin probably. But there is a nice folk theme and cool jazz funk passages. The strings are great and the mix with the reggae drums and the synths very interesting.

Lizzy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2011 at 13:22
Nice Paese dei Balocchi review. Thumbs Up A highly recommended album which, as its name suggests, is extremely playful and I have to say, well worth those 4*.
And going a couple of pages back, I have noticed that the New Trolls are not everyone's favourite band, but I will always stand by them. :D It's that huge amount of classical input that makes them so appealing to me personally. On the other hand (I don't think I have mentioned this before) I have never been drawn towards any of the 'big three' RPI bands. I've tried listening and re-listening, but I got to the conclusion that it was not my type of Italian prog. Luckily there are countless other jewels to be discovered here! Wink
So because it has been some time since I have last asked for recommendations, I suppose this would be the right moment to do so, since I'm starting to have some more free time: so concept albums and classically influenced! Big smile
Property of Queen Productions...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2011 at 10:44
HandshakeAgree completly. Marvelous ! The best strange short solo I've heard for many years. Remind me a little bit of the one on the Can's Moonshake.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2011 at 09:06
Talk about melody and songs you canīt erase from your mindLOL
I absolutely adore the weird moog solo happening at some point - sounds like a robot that turns into an angry insect, and quite often I find myself whistling this very soloEmbarrassed - no melody or song comes before though so itīs just: DIDIDIDI DEH DEH DEH DA DAA!!! out of the blue..

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2011 at 20:13
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

^I feel much the same Jim, and speaking of going off the beaten track:
 Il Paese dei Balocchi by PAESE DEI BALOCCHI, IL album coverStudio Album, 1972
3.63 | 41 ratings 

BUY
Il Paese dei Balocchi
Il Paese dei Balocchi Rock Progressivo ItalianoReview by Nightfly Special Collaborator RPI Team
4 stars Releasing only one album, in 1972, Il Paese Dei Balocchi deserve to be spoken of in the same tones of reverence as other highly regarded one shot bands of the Italian prog scene such as Museo Rosenbach and Maxophone and had they lasted longer, who knows, they may have even been up there with the big boys - Banco, Orme etc such is the quality here.

This eponymous offering is a beautiful piece of work - atmospheric, melancholic and haunting, it's a lovely example of Italian symphonic prog with classical touches. It doesn't rush, content to take its time giving the music a trippy vibe at times. Largely instrumental which works in its favour but that's not to say the vocals are lacking in quality when they are present. Great Hammond work gets me every time as it does here, having for want of a better word, a kind of spooky feel to it on this occasion. There also seems to be a church organ present which is equally compelling. Guitar generally takes a back seat as does the drums but there's the occasional powerful moment where things take off for a short while. This thankfully doesn't work to the detriment of the overall vibe of the album.

I'm surprised this excellent album doesn't feature more prominently amongst top Italian prog lists, it really is that good and is essential to anyone on a journey of discovery with RPI and likely to be of interest to many others too. Wonderful stuff and a great example of why Italian prog is so full of surprises and draws in such strong devotes.

Thanks for that PaulClap

You got me curious, - in fact last time I saw a review of this I almost bought it, but I still donīt own the thing.

Edit: Sorry about the way this post turned out, something went wrong, but fortunately the review still says the sameSmile.

You're welcome and thank you. I'd recommend you get it asap, you won't be disappointed I'm sure.Smile

Damn, that's the second time I've read that review and I still can't afford to get the album yet grrrrrr!
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
JazzMusicArchives.
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2011 at 19:21
You won't regret it!  Thumbs Up
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2011 at 19:18
Thanks ! I'm going to try the original Ricordi Jewel Case.
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2011 at 19:14
^ The packaging on that is beautiful, isn't it?  I think the sound is pretty good, but the best sounding version I've heard is the original Ricordi jewel case CD that has MPCD as the first part of the catalogue number.  I've heard three versions (including the King Japanese jewel case), and that's my favorite.  Very warm, no digital compression.

My Gnosis Ratings

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2011 at 19:09
Darwin (Mlps)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2011 at 19:08
I had the Sony/ BMG version of 1999. The japanese is the Mini Lp Cd BMG Italian rock collection.
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2011 at 19:02
^ When you say Japanese, which one do you mean?  A Japanese mini lp version, or the King jewel case version?  And which old edition do you have?  Is it the original Ricordi version?

My Gnosis Ratings

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2011 at 18:51
Per un amico and Darwin are real treasures. Recently I bought the japanese CD of Darwin. The sound is completly different from the old edition. No compact at all, a little bit like a premix. The result is very warm and much more emotional.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 296297298299300 358>