Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Battle of the Prog Bands R2D10: Henry Cow vs Magma
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBattle of the Prog Bands R2D10: Henry Cow vs Magma

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Which band do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
25 [28.74%]
62 [71.26%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2010 at 05:19
Originally posted by GY!BE GY!BE wrote:

Originally posted by Nathaniel607 Nathaniel607 wrote:

Originally posted by UndercoverBoy UndercoverBoy wrote:

Not voting this round because I know nothing about Henry Cow.

I've got a question, though... how did Riverside beat Dream Theater?!?! That's crazy... first of all, I like Dream Theater more... they have some really awesome albums (granted, some quite mediocore ones), LOADS of albums (compared to Riverside) plus they're a much more popular band (I hadn't heard of Riverside till about a year ago).

Not that I don't like Riverside, I just think Dream Theater are more deserving of "best prog band in history" (though they shouldn't have won), I just don't think Riverside are that deserving. They've only released 3 albums... (4 if you count the EP)

I dunno. Just seems weird to me.
DT has quite a few haters here, so many of them voted for Riverside just so DT wouldn't win (but I do think they were all familiar with Riverside's music).  It was still very close as you would imagine, and DT actually got ahead after I ended the poll.

DT haters kind of annoy me. A lot of them I know of are just the complete epitome of proggy elitism. Even when a band is as proggy as Dream Theater, because they're popular they see them as inferior somehow...

Well... rant over. It doesn't really matter that much, as I doubt they would have won. Judging by a lot of surveys/polls on this site, Genesis are going to win by a million votes.

I just don't understand DT haters, I understand that you can not especially like a band but hate them? and why? 'cause they are popular? One thing is that you cannot denie the fact that they are really talented and creative.

Both Dream Theater and Riverside are simply astounding, but Riverside has has never put out a bad album (there's still time thoughTongue). I'm not say that Dream Theater has any bad albums, but they aren't quite as consistent in my opinion. Also I'm sick of their excessive solos, they have so many songs that would be perfect if they cut down on soloing, perfect example: Endless Sacrifice- a very well written song and some beautiful melodies and rap-ish contrast, but the keyboad solo is so annoying! At times it sound like Rudess is just toying with it, playing with the different effects... disappointing... fortunately the music after the solo saves the song.
Nathaniel607 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2010 at 06:09
Originally posted by DreamInSong DreamInSong wrote:

I've got a question, though... how did Riverside beat Dream Theater?!?! That's crazy... first of all, I like Dream Theater more... they have some really awesome albums (granted, some quite mediocore ones), LOADS of albums (compared to Riverside) plus they're a much more popular band (I hadn't heard of Riverside till about a year ago).

Not that I don't like Riverside, I just think Dream Theater are more deserving of "best prog band in history" (though they shouldn't have won), I just don't think Riverside are that deserving. They've only released 3 albums... (4 if you count the EP)

DT has quite a few haters here, so many of them voted for Riverside just so DT wouldn't win (but I do think they were all familiar with Riverside's music).  It was still very close as you would imagine, and DT actually got ahead after I ended the poll.

DT haters kind of annoy me. A lot of them I know of are just the complete epitome of proggy elitism. Even when a band is as proggy as Dream Theater, because they're popular they see them as inferior somehow...

Well... rant over. It doesn't really matter that much, as I doubt they would have won. Judging by a lot of surveys/polls on this site, Genesis are going to win by a million votes.

I just don't understand DT haters, I understand that you can not especially like a band but hate them? and why? 'cause they are popular? One thing is that you cannot denie the fact that they are really talented and creative.

Both Dream Theater and Riverside are simply astounding, but Riverside has has never put out a bad album (there's still time thoughTongue). I'm not say that Dream Theater has any bad albums, but they aren't quite as consistent in my opinion. Also I'm sick of their excessive solos, they have so many songs that would be perfect if they cut down on soloing, perfect example: Endless Sacrifice- a very well written song and some beautiful melodies and rap-ish contrast, but the keyboad solo is so annoying! At times it sound like Rudess is just toying with it, playing with the different effects... disappointing... fortunately the music after the solo saves the song.

Well, I love the long solos, so I guess that's what makes the difference!

I know Riverside have a perfect record, but it's only 4... Dream Theater have "Images and Words", "Metropolis Pt. 2", "Awake" and "Train of Thought" which are all amazing in my opinion.

Also, it's cool that you're not hating, I suppose I see your point - if you don't like solos they would get kind of annoying lol.
GY!BE View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2010 at 08:55
Originally posted by DreamInSong DreamInSong wrote:

You took the most soloing song for your example and dream theater had crazy solos in their songs since they were created so it's part of their style...I can understand why you don't like these long solos sometimes useless I agree but DT had and still has a huge influence on prog metal...maybe riverside was even infulence by DT somehow....and that's why I think they deserved to be honored and recognized.
b4usleep View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2010 at 10:50
No vote. I don't like neither magma nor HC
Really don't mind if you sit this one out.
My words but a whisper, your deafness a shout.
Zombywoof View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2010 at 10:58
I unfortunately have not heard much Henry Cow (except for the first half of In Praise Of Learning...which I loved!), and I only have two Magma albums: 1.001 Degrees Centigrades and MDK (both of which I love all of the way through). No vote from me.
Continue the prog discussion here: http://zombyprog.proboards.com/index.cgi ...
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2010 at 22:44
I've heard little of each band, but equally little so I can vote without being biased. I like Henry Cow better, but it appears my vote is too late to matter.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2010 at 22:51
That would be because Magma is quite literally the greatest band there has ever been.  Ever.
UndercoverBoy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2010 at 22:55
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

That would be because Magma is quite literally the greatest band there has ever been.  Ever.
I know that I voted for Magma all and I should be happy for them to be winning by this much, but I just can't help but feel sorry for Henry Cow for getting so epically pwn'd.  I mean, they made this people!:
Also, their improvisations have really been growing on me to the point that I'm beginning to crave it.

Edited by UndercoverBoy - August 14 2010 at 22:57
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2010 at 23:01
Yeah but Magma is Magma and there's nothing more to it

zeuhl is such an essential part of my life right now
DisgruntledPorcupine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2010 at 23:02

Heres the thing: I can tolerate haters of any band out there. If someone hates any of my favourite bands, I'm okay with it.

But DT haters are the only ones who annoy me. Why? Because they are THE most ignorant haters on the face of the planet. They all use the same tired arguments like "John Petrucci plays with no emotion (completely and utterly false)," "Mike Portnoy would be useless without snare (not only false, but ignorant to the extreme)," and "James LaBrie sucks (I disagree, but can't blame them there since it's opinion)" amongst a few others. 

People hate extreme DT fanboys. Even I don't like the extreme fanboys and DT is my favourite band. But the haters are by far worse and also, even though it sounds impossible, are even more ignorant.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2010 at 23:03
^ how about "Portnoy has the worst snare tone known to mankind"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2010 at 23:07

LOLWell I've always loved MPs tone, but thats a matter of opinion. I know many don't care for it., but we all have different tastes in drum sound. Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2010 at 23:07
Anyways, Henry Cow is awesome. But Magma is Magma, so they win.

Edited by DisgruntledPorcupine - August 14 2010 at 23:08
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2010 at 23:18
Originally posted by DisgruntledPorcupine DisgruntledPorcupine wrote:

LOLWell I've always loved MPs tone, but thats a matter of opinion. I know many don't care for it., but we all have different tastes in drum sound. Wink

I personally like a looser snare sound
The-time-is-now View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2010 at 15:22
Magma

One of my best achievements in life was to find this picture :D
GY!BE View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2010 at 11:16
I agree that portnoy's snare could be more profound but i've seen worse...
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2010 at 15:54
Magma for sure.

I've only heard 3 Cow albums, but only one really did it for me and that is Legend.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2010 at 15:55
Originally posted by The Quiet One The Quiet One wrote:

Magma for sure.

I've only heard 3 Cow albums, but only one really did it for me and that is Legend.
You already voted.LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2010 at 15:59
Poll's over.  The winner of Round 2 Division 10 is Magma.  Magma will now move onto Round 3, and Henry Cow is out of the tournament.  See you at the next mach of Battle of the Prog Bands.

Even though I voted for Magma, I still feel a little sorry for Henry Cow being kicked out.  Both are great bands and I would I have liked both of them to go far, but oh well.
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2010 at 15:59

Originally posted by The Quiet One The Quiet One wrote:

Magma for sure.

You already voted.LOL

..yeah I know, I was kidding..

Embarrassed

That's why I sensed a sense of deja-vu..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123