FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWorst Album by a Great Prog Band

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2016 at 22:21
Originally posted by Sardonite Calamity Sardonite Calamity wrote:

Rush's worst album would be... Power windows. Maybe hold your fire or presto.

No, not Power Windows. It's a cool album. You're getting warmer on Presto and you're really close on Hold Your Fire-but I'm gonna have to go out on a limb and say the unexpected. Counterparts. I did not enjoy it from the very start. It never gets interesting at all and it's very boring.
User Banned for this Post
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2016 at 04:10
Originally posted by A_Flower A_Flower wrote:

Originally posted by Sardonite Calamity Sardonite Calamity wrote:

Rush's worst album would be... Power windows. Maybe hold your fire or presto.

No, not Power Windows. It's a cool album. You're getting warmer on Presto and you're really close on Hold Your Fire-but I'm gonna have to go out on a limb and say the unexpected. Counterparts. I did not enjoy it from the very start. It never gets interesting at all and it's very boring.

Hey! Leave That Thing Alone!
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2016 at 04:38
I'm very sorry to say this but I found every Rush album after Signals quite dull.
At least Hold Your Fire has Time Stand Still and Force Ten on it though.
Terrapin Station View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2016 at 03:51
Wow, lots of albums I love being mentioned here. I won't mention every example, but here are some:

* I love every single Yes album. And I mean every single one. Tormato is often a candidate for my favorite lately.

* I love King Crimson's 80s albums. I like all three more than In the Court. In fact, In the Court is my least favorite album of theirs--though I still like it. (My favorite KC is probably Larks Tongues.)

* I love most Genesis albums, and the couple I don't love I still like. And in fact, overall, with the exception of Selling England, I love And Then There Were Three through We Can't Dance even more than the earlier albums.

* I love every Rush album. I like the 80s and beyond stuff at least as much as their earlier material.

* I love most Pink Floyd, including The Wall, The Final Cut, Atom Heart Mother, A Momentary Lapse of Reason, Piper etc. There are a couple I don't love, like More and The Endless River, but I still like those, too.

* The only Frank Zappa albums I don't love are Freak Out, which I still like, and the many variations on the unofficial early work comps such as Rare Meat--you know, the EPs that compile the Baby Ray & The Ferns, Heartbreakers, Ned & Nelda etc. stuff. Rare Meat or another of those would be a candidate for my pick for this thread, but as unofficial releases, and as EPs, they probably shouldn't count, and they're not Frank Zappa as Frank Zappa anyway.

* I love ELP's Love Beach. In fact, the only ELP albums I don't love are Black Moon and In the Hot Seat. So the latter (In the Hot Seat) is my pick for this thread, barring stuff from other artists I haven't heard yet, or haven't heard in ages. What the Hell were ELP trying to do in the 90s anyway? Who did they think was going to be the market for those two albums? Hadn't they noticed that the other big prog acts were moving back towards their older styles at that point?

* Among that stuff I haven't heard in ages that are likely "worst" candidates for me are the 80s Jethro Tull albums like Rock Island and Under Wraps. Also maybe one of the 80s Kansas albums, some of the later Asia albums, some of those horrid Rick Wakeman new age albums, etc.

Edited by Terrapin Station - July 23 2016 at 04:01
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2016 at 03:55
^
Great first post
Welcome to the forum. Always room for more music lovers like yourself.

Cheers
David
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2016 at 04:00
Thanks David.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2016 at 04:04
^ You obviously dig the Dead.........
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2016 at 04:06
Originally posted by Terrapin Station Terrapin Station wrote:

Thanks David.
Noe I'm ninja'd by David........f**k.........
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2016 at 06:24
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ You obviously dig the Dead.........
Haha, yeah, although in a top ten they'd only be #6 (after Igor Stravinsky, Frank Zappa, Todd Rundgren, Yes and Led Zeppelin . . . #7 is King Crimson, but then folks get shuffled around a lot after that up and down my top 20 to 30 or so.  Those top 7 slots are the only ones that remain fixed really).
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2016 at 09:53

Wow, lots of albums I love being mentioned here. I won't mention every example, but here are some:

* I love every single Yes album. And I mean every single one. Tormato is often a candidate for my favorite lately.

* I love King Crimson's 80s albums. I like all three more than In the Court. In fact, In the Court is my least favorite album of theirs--though I still like it. (My favorite KC is probably Larks Tongues.)

* I love most Genesis albums, and the couple I don't love I still like. And in fact, overall, with the exception of Selling England, I love And Then There Were Three through We Can't Dance even more than the earlier albums.

* I love every Rush album. I like the 80s and beyond stuff at least as much as their earlier material.

* I love most Pink Floyd, including The Wall, The Final Cut, Atom Heart Mother, A Momentary Lapse of Reason, Piper etc. There are a couple I don't love, like More and The Endless River, but I still like those, too.

* The only Frank Zappa albums I don't love are Freak Out, which I still like, and the many variations on the unofficial early work comps such as Rare Meat--you know, the EPs that compile the Baby Ray & The Ferns, Heartbreakers, Ned & Nelda etc. stuff. Rare Meat or another of those would be a candidate for my pick for this thread, but as unofficial releases, and as EPs, they probably shouldn't count, and they're not Frank Zappa as Frank Zappa anyway.

* I love ELP's Love Beach. In fact, the only ELP albums I don't love are Black Moon and In the Hot Seat. So the latter (In the Hot Seat) is my pick for this thread, barring stuff from other artists I haven't heard yet, or haven't heard in ages. What the Hell were ELP trying to do in the 90s anyway? Who did they think was going to be the market for those two albums? Hadn't they noticed that the other big prog acts were moving back towards their older styles at that point?

* Among that stuff I haven't heard in ages that are likely "worst" candidates for me are the 80s Jethro Tull albums like Rock Island and Under Wraps. Also maybe one of the 80s Kansas albums, some of the later Asia albums, some of those horrid Rick Wakeman new age albums, etc.
Belongs with the "Funny Ways: Your Unusual Prog Opinions" thread. Nutty.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2016 at 11:56
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Belongs with the "Funny Ways: Your Unusual Prog Opinions" thread. Nutty.
I've got a lot of those.  My tastes tend to align pretty randomly to consensus opinions. Wink
snowsnow View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2016 at 09:58

And it's comments like this that make this forum such an enjoyable and fascinating site to visit - I nearly cried when I heard Tomato coming on the back of the previous, numerous Yes classics!

I like chunks of Love Beach and Under Wraps but find Atom Heart Mother and Lark's Tongue in Aspic, 2 very popular albums on here, to be virtually unlistenable!
Son.of.Tiresias View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2016 at 06:53
Originally posted by Cambus741 Cambus741 wrote:

I'm very sorry to say this but I found every Rush album after Signals quite dull.
At least Hold Your Fire has Time Stand Still and Force Ten on it though.

Exactly. All of them. Dull like old boots.
You may see a smile on Tony Banks´ face but that´s unlikely.
Son.of.Tiresias View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2016 at 08:03

Welcome to PA.
Rather interesting post... I kinda like some of your unorthodox opinions.

As for AD 1978...

"... and Then There Were Three..." & "Tormato" are brilliant albums from 1978, the very finest 2 UK albums from late 70´s actually.

"Love Beach" is not a bad album, it smokes all latter day ELP by a country mile. They comeback album "Black Moon" is boring to me, don´t like anything of it really.

Yes, 1978 was a great year for Rock... Rush´s "Hemispheres",  Journey´s "Infinity" they very finest album (there´s everything punks hated in "old" rock LOL), MMEB´s "Watch". Oh, this must have been a very bad year for poor punks AND stupid critics ´cos Rock didn´t die after all. Ha-Ha !
And then came that lovely girl, Kate Bush.. .. oh they were the good ol´days :) 
You may see a smile on Tony Banks´ face but that´s unlikely.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2016 at 08:17
since when was Rush ever a great prog band... they became a great band  by ditching prog and becoming a MTV AOR band in the early 80's. Though not better LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2016 at 08:39
Marillion - Sounds That Can't Be Made
Yes - Tales from Topographic Oceans
Saga - Pleasure and the Pain
Barclay James Harvest - Caught by the Light
Camel - A Single Factor
Jethro Tull - Under Wraps
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2016 at 08:41
Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

Camel - A Single Factor

I disagree with the first two albums you mention here. I find them both great.
I would not even call The Single Factor bad.
surrogate people View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2016 at 21:15
Heaven and earth is an obvious choice.But I must admit I haven't been able to listen to it in its entirety without falling asleep so there might be some hidden gems in there...beautiful artwork though, I should have bought the vinyl (even if I Haven't owned a turntable in years,it would have been a better buy)
Surrogate People they walk on by, they walk on by
When they replace you
They live your life, they live your life
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2016 at 01:02
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Camel - A Single Factor

I wouldn't call them really bad, but they were the worst albums by those bands, even though the albums have their moments. I thought that was what this thread was about.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2016 at 01:20

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Camel - A Single Factor

I wouldn't call them really bad, but they were the worst albums by those bands, even though the albums have their moments. I thought that was what this thread was about.

I get it, you don't like them, it's ok, I just disagree.

If TFTTO is bad, then what are Tormato,  Union, Open Your Eyes or Heaven & Hell?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>